[MyAppleMenu] Jun 29, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 29 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Remember The Milk - First To-Do List App To Feature Push <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AppAdvice/~3/DNoREx_5a78/>
by Tyler Tschida, AppAdvice

Remember The Milk is a popular free online task managing service.  The service allows you to keep track of your appointments and to-do items, and it can even remind you of all of this via email, SMS, and IM.  The free Remember The Milk iPhone app allows you to do all of this while on-the-go, and thanks to recent 1.1 update you will now be able to receive reminders via push notifications.

**** 3.0 And 3GS: Apple&#39;s Two-Pronged Offensive <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/pocket-gamer/6211-3-0-and-3GS-Apple-s-Two-Pronged-Offensive&usg=AFQjCNE861WJGCXtL1KmN5rnNoGhj4uxQg>
by Escapist Magazine

There are plenty of other companies doing interesting things in what businessmen like to call the 'mobile space,' but since WWDC Apple has kept itself firmly in the spotlight, consigning everybody else to the relative gloom outside it.

**** The Downside Of Apple Having Its Own Iphone App Store <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_downside_of_apple_having_its_own_iphone_app_store&usg=AFQjCNG7mjgM1-x9mtO4cCBQVXyAwyqdbg>
by Computerworld

Apple has been plagued by what seems to be an endless string of controversies surrounding the App Store.

**** Yet Another Vogue For The iPhone: Video Games <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=8dcab2391d745c57936bf777352b2183>
by Jenna Wortham, New York Times

The iPhone has sent rivals scrambling, first to duplicate its glassy touch screen, then its successful mobile application storefront. Now it is the video game industry that is sitting up and taking notice.

**** Apple iPhone 3GS Has Overheating Problem, Users Say <http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25707066-5016092,00.html>
by News.com.au

**** Review: ShoveBox 1.7 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=8e3131a9a700dca2347a90f3567564d7>
by Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

ShoveBox 1.7.3 is a versatile and simple yet comprehensive tool that will allow you to capture a wide variety of data effortlessly. While there are some limitations to the types of files you can capture and the ways you can automatically filter what you’re capturing, overall ShoveBox offers the easiest way I’ve found so far to collect, and, yes, organize the random and disparate yet necessary information that constantly crosses my path.

**** Review: EVE Online: Apocrypha <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=330e9c7919c86e88d50ec4f32ccf9025>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Casual gamers or people just looking to blast some aliens ought to keep looking: EVE Online isn’t for you. But if you’re willing to invest the time and effort to really get the most out of this incredibly deep and intricate game, you’ll be hard pressed to find a more rewarding game experience.

**** For Games, No Big Rush To Speedy iPhone 3GS <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10274079-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Erica Ogg, CNET

The iPhone 3GS is already wooing game developers with its faster, more powerful platform, but don't expect a ton of games fully taking advantage of it to flood the App Store--yet.

**** Plex Media Center Software Competes With Front Row <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=bc6c3e03df4707ebe7de7e9c7e89817f>
by Aayush Arya, Macworld

It’s difficult to find a video cataloguing and playback application that rivals the formidable pairing of iTunes and Front Row. But now there’s Plex , a media center for Mac OS X that’s capable of cataloguing and playing back every major video format out there, and it works admirably with the Apple Remote to boot.

**** Apple, Others Agree To Micro USB Standard In EU <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=19ad69dae1f6048c2c9bb98605892dcc>
by MacNN

Several major cellphone makers today agreed to support a European Union push for a universal charger standard. Apple, LG, Motorola, Nokia, RIM, Samsung and Sony Ericsson have signed a deal with the European Commission that will see micro USB become the default connector for powering cellphones in the continent.

**** Reading Machine To Snoop On Web <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13639_3-10274435-42.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by CNET

**** Twin Cities <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/07/06/090706po_poem_muskedukes>
by Carol Muske-Dukes, New Yorker

**** A Dream <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/07/06/090706po_poem_borges>
by Jorge Luis Borges, New Yorker

**** Childcare <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/07/06/090706fi_fiction_moore>
by Lorrie Moore, New Yorker

**** The Way We Love Now <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=0dd570b5811312bf12cbc1cfdc7487b4>
by Ross Douthat, New York Times

These irrepressible passions make a fascinating counterpoint to the complaint, advanced this month by two of the nation’s finest essayists, that modern relationships have been drained of danger and purged of eros.

**** Priced To Sell <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2009/07/06/090706crbo_books_gladwell>
by Malcolm Gladwell, New Yorker

Is free the future?

**** Singapore’s First Malay General – A Star Of Things To Come? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/06/singapores-first-malay-general-a-star-of-things-to-come/>
by Khairulanwar Zaini, The Online Citizen

**** Taxis' 'Disappearing' Act <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_396593.html>
by Maria Almenoar and Wee Jun Kai , Straits Times

Some taxis are holding back from joining the queues at Changi Airport just before 5pm on weekends so that they can collect the higher surcharges which kick in after that time.

**** Two Schools Suspend Classes <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_396598.html>
by Straits Times

Singapore clocked its highest number of H1N1 cases in a day with 145 new patients on Sunday. Three of the now 599 confirmed cases are Ministry of Education (MOE) teachers from Presbyterian High, Westwood Secondary School, and Hai Sing Catholic School.

**** CMIO Issues In Singapore Again <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2009/06/cmio-issues-in-singapore-again.html>
by Sam Ho, Sam's thoughts

**** Lee Hsien Yang To Head Corporatised CAAS <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/439196/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Mr Lee Hsien Yang, chairman of Fraser & Neave, will head the corporatised Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS).

**** Singapore Understanding Over Malaysia's Withdrawal From AYG Due To ... <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newssport.php?id=421433&usg=AFQjCNEEZqsOLN-C8B_6wuj_5YFys7HKZw>
by Bernama

Malaysia's withdrawal from the Asian Youth Games (AYG) starting here tomorrow because of the Influenza A(H1N1) outbreak has met with understanding from the host.

**** Celebrate National Day – But Is This Necessary? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/06/celebrating-national-day-but-is-this-necessary/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

While we may understand that MPs would like to celebrate National Day and show their patriotism and solidarity with the nation, we should also question if such spending is necessary, especially in these uncertain times.

**** Building Slums & Taxing Capital Gains <http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2009/06/building-slums-taxing-capital-gains.html>
by The Kway Teow Man

Truthfully, the situation today is not too bad. If we act now, we have a chance to keeping the housing situation in Singapore sane (as the rest of the world continues to spiral out of control after this present financial crisis); if we don't act, it will get worse and the poor will suffer.

**** Singapore Proposes Changes To Tax Laws To Meet International Standard <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/439219/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

The Ministry of Finance (MOF) is proposing changes to Singapore's tax laws to meet the new internationally agreed standard on exchange of information for tax purposes.

**** 30 New H1N1 Cases Raise Total In Singapore To 629 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/439251/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

These latest cases mean locally acquired ones now make up 54 per cent of all confirmed H1N1 cases in Singapore.

**** Operation Spectrum Open Forum: A Good Start <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/2517-operation-spectrum-open-forum-a-good-start>
by Singapore Democrats

After 22 years, we are beginning to see more public events that address the Internal Security Act (ISA) detentions in 1987.