[MyAppleMenu] Jun 15, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 15 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Mac Laptop Glossy Screens Hazardous To Your Posture? <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/4-0&fd=R&url=http://www.tuaw.com/2009/06/14/mac-laptop-glossy-screens-hazardous-to-your-posture/&cid=0&ei=-Xo1SqzlO4OWMZbM3IUI&usg=AFQjCNG-HYOCvTSDp1fEN7hdh-dbuVO-MA>
by Mel Martin, TUAW

**** 13&quot; And 15&quot; MacBook Pros Have A Slower SATA Interface <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/8-0&fd=R&url=http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/14/13-and-15-macbook-pros-have-a-slower-sata-interface/&cid=1260445232&ei=-Xo1SqzlO4OWMZbM3IUI&usg=AFQjCNGXd8fXK3a7E5GoSWxe9dofZdZBsQ>
by Mac Rumors

The slower SATA interface is unlikely to affect the bulk of users as even the fastest traditional hard drives are unable to saturate even the 1.5 Gbit interfaces. However, if you are planning on buying a fast Solid State Drive (SSD), it could affect the drive's performance.

**** Finally—A Blind-Friendly iPhone <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/8-0&fd=R&url=http://www.healthnews.com/blogs/nicki/natural-health/finally-a-blind-friendly-iphone-3290.html&cid=1260623012&ei=GTE1SuzMNaGkM5iM0I8I&usg=AFQjCNGineKVSZcFvbtNFUu1qdckMZk3hw>
by HealthNews

Several weeks ago, I wrote that I envied those incredibly lucky people who owned an iPhone. Earlier this week, I found to my immense surprise and pleasure that I no longer need be envious, because very soon I too could be the proud owner of one of these devices.

**** Review: Documents To Go Raises The Bar For iPhone Word Processing <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/7-0&fd=R&url=http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/%3Fp%3D1277&cid=1261099846&ei=HIw1SuqRJqXmNef3_IMI&usg=AFQjCNFNmyQz0FcNpZQx0r4-FcOqmLC7eg>
by Matthew Miller, ZDNet

**** Parent&#39;s Little Helper: iPhone Applications <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/4-0&fd=R&url=http://www.examiner.com/x-1022-Orlando-Parenting-Examiner~y2009m6d14-Parents-little-helper-iPhone-applications&cid=0&ei=RZc1SrD2EaGkM-mO-JAI&usg=AFQjCNERUOzugWsSTKkh2DgPxEnVjlTU-w>
by Robyn Kurth, Examiner.com

If a preschooler becomes bored, noisy, or goes into full tantrum mode in a public place, traditionally parents have had limited options: ride it out, give in to the child's demands (not a good option in the long run), or give up and go home. Now 21st century technology has given parents one extra method to placate a restless child on the road: iPhone applications.

**** WWDC 2009: 10 Lessons Learnt About The Future Of iPhone Gaming <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&amp;ct=us/2-0&amp;fd=R&amp;url=http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Worldwide%2BDevelopers%2BConference%2B2009/feature.asp%3Fc%3D13843&amp;cid=1261187651&amp;ei=YcY1StuLKYOWMZbM3IUI&amp;usg=AFQjCNHXlEQC1pw4zntPyk8sionMZM1zuA>
by Pocket Gamer.Biz

WWDC 2009: 10 lessons learnt about the future of iPhone gamingPocket Gamer.Biz, UKAlmost all iPhone game developers we spoke to are increasing their number of releases. Maximum development cycles remain three months but many companies are also looking to release much smaller, viral games and entertainment apps. ...

**** Rethinking The iPhone's Role In Computing <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2348658,00.asp>
by Tim Bajarin, PC Magazine

Is the iPhone a personal computer that just happens to make phone calls, or a phone that just happens to run apps? And if it's really a PC that fits in your pocket, does that change how you use it?

**** Reality Check For iPhone Developers <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/4-0&fd=R&url=http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/reality-check-for-iphone-developers-20090615-c8vr.html&cid=0&ei=pAo2SpiiHKXmNZX32IMI&usg=AFQjCNFsGi5F_U6ZrRmT6HjPBvLgrtpSng>
by Louisa Hearn, The Sydney Morning Herald

Rick Bavage turned his back on the corporate world last September, swapping a successful career as a marketing executive for an uncertain future building iPhone applications.

**** Review: Studiometry 6.1 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=c2e3811e86971fef13c3a500efeaf502>
by John Brandon, Macworld

Studiometry 6.1.7 is a sensible business choice because it combines some low-level accounting features with contact and project management characteristics.

**** When Kama Sutra Was Banned By Apple <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/14/iphone-apps-steve-jobs-apple>
by The Guardian

**** Analysts: iPhone 3G S Still Not Enterprise-ready <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=418fd669d7a23fd4dc6ef5d64c9525d2>
by Matt Hamblen, Computerworld

Despite some enterprise-geared improvements in the latest iPhone, the analysts Computerworld spoke to say those steps are not good enough for widespread adoption of the new smartphone inside large businesses.

**** Apple Begins Shipping First iPhone 3G S Pre-orders <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/15/apple_begins_shipping_first_iphone_3g_s_pre_orders.html>
by AppleInsider

Apple on Monday began shipping its new iPhone 3G S handsets to customers who were among the first to place their pre-orders last week following the handset&amp;#39;s introduction at the company&amp;#39;s annual developers conference.

**** Bereavement <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/06/22/090622po_poem_young>
by Kevin Young, New Yorker

**** Hubris At Zunzal <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/06/22/090622po_poem_jones>
by Rodney Jones, New Yorker

**** Idols <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/06/22/090622fi_fiction_gautreaux>
by Tim Gautreaux, New Yorker

**** Don't Take The Road To Less Accountability <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_390402.html>
by Netina Tan Chiew Pheng, Straits Times

Nominated ministers will undermine the accountability, representativeness and effectiveness of the Cabinet.

**** MM Lee And Nik Aziz Meet <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_390467.html>
by Reme Ahmad, Straits Times

Two veteran politicians met for the first time on Sunday in the capital of the Malaysian state of Kelantan. Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew met with Datuk Nik Aziz Nik Mat for an hour at Kota Darul Naim, Kelantan's government complex that houses the office of the chief minister and the state assembly hall.

**** Gerakan: Lee Too Quick To Judge Penang <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/1-0&fd=R&url=http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp%3Ffile%3D/2009/6/14/nation/20090614200631%26sec%3Dnation&cid=1260413178&ei=xnM1Svn2FoOWMaHN9IUI&usg=AFQjCNEkMn3Q3Twm3hKJEQTAGRxrMyqCiw>
by Chan Li Leen, Malaysia Star

Singapore minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew had been too quick to judge Penang when he was there only for a day, said Gerakan deputy president Datuk Chang Ko Youn.

**** 人力部应严控客工人数 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090615_506.shtml>
by 林安庆, 联合早报

客工引起的一些问题,是人力部早前的政策造成的。

**** A Social Stereotype <http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2009/6/15/lifefocus/2571918&sec=lifefocus>
by Allan Koay, The Star

The Ah Beng has gone global and is now internationally recognised as a cultural figure in Malaysia and Singapore.

**** 12,760 Jobs Lost In Q1 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_390567.html>
by Straits Times

A total of 12,760 jobs were lost in the first quarter, government data showed on Monday, pushing Singapore's overall unemployment rate to a three-year high of 3.3 per cent.

**** Sending Ah Gong Back To The Children <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/06/sending-ah-gong-back-to-the-children/>
by Ng E-Jay, The Online Citizen

Recent proposals to amend the Maintenance of Parents Act suggests an act by the government to pass the buck of caring for the elderly to their children, but this puts an inconsiderable strain especially on lower-income groups.

**** S'pore's Retail Sales Fell For 7th Straight Month In April, Down 11.7% On Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/436012/1/.html>
by Irene Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's retail sales fell for a seventh straight month in April as consumers reined in spending on big ticket items amid the deepening economic recession.

**** Another Scandal Mars Indian Defense <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1934&Itemid=174>
by Asia Sentinel

Israel, Singapore among the major offenders.

**** SIA's Passenger Load Drops To 66.9% In May <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/436057/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia