[MyAppleMenu] Jun 14, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 14 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** The Best Battery Life I've Ever Seen <http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3580&p=4>
by AnandTech

It looks like, once again, other notebook makers will have to play catch up to Apple in this department.

**** AT&T Already Sold Out Of Launch Day iPhone 3G S Pre-Orders <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/13/att_already_sold_out_of_launch_day_iphone_3g_s_pre_orders.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Signaling a likely repeat of Apple's iPhone sell-outs of the past two years, AT&T is already warning that those making iPhone 3G S pre-orders that they won't get their handsets on launch.

**** Twitter "Twitpocalypse" Affects Mac, iPhone Apps <http://www.macworld.com/article/141146/2009/06/twitpocalypse_twitter.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

The surging popularity of the Twitter messaging service has broken at least one Twitter client application and affected another as a part of what is being called “the Twitpocalypse.”

**** Trust, Hostility, And The Human Side Of Apple <http://www.marco.org/122990476>
by Marco Arment, Marco.org

I’m satisfied and somewhat comforted by the human side of Apple that I’ve met so far, but nothing could replace better (than zero) transparency. While I’m glad I met some employees to finally get some insight into how they operate, I wish I didn’t need to.

**** The App Store Needs A Genius Feature, ASAP <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/13/the-app-store-needs-a-genius-feature-asap/>
by MG Siegler, TechCrunch

Apple needs to make sure its ecosystem is enticing for the small developers to work in. And that’s getting to be a problem with so many apps now in the store, and with so many big name development houses now making apps. I think a Genius app recommendation feature would go a long way to help this.

**** Everything New Is Old Again <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/5-0&fd=R&url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/13/AR2009061300092.html&cid=1258977178&ei=SG40SpHLOIuQ9QSN1uGHCA&usg=AFQjCNEZ3nt4xuZd-kZxnoDYJwAVhcu7AA>
by Mike Musgrove, Washington Post

As Kaufman at AT&T put it, "You're not a sucker, Mike, you're an early adopter."

Yup.

**** Safari Reloaded <http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/2009/06/safari_reloaded>
by Sven-S. Porst, Quarter Life Crisis

The more critical points about Safari 4 are the changes to its user interface.

**** Review: 2009 MacBook Pro 13-Inch Is Freakin Awesome <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/-8cA3A9PqtI/11838>
by Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac

**** Yum 3.0.7 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=96615717b5f0981cf79aaa2662643d62>
by Jackie Dove, Macworld

**** Hey, Just A Minute (or Why Google Isn’t Twitter) <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=f13e8eb81f421085319d0f736336a67e>
by Randall Stross, New York Times

**** Why Old Dogs Are The Best Dogs <http://www.theweek.com/article/index/89914/The_last_word_Why_old_dogs_are_the_best_dogs>
by Gene Weingarten, The Week

They can be eccentric, slow afoot, even grouchy. But dogs live out their final days with a humility and grace we all could learn from.

**** A (Radical) Way To Fix Suburban Sprawl <http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1904187,00.html>
by Lisa Selin Davis, Time

Some 120,000 people work in Tysons Corner, Va., but only 17,000 live there. To transform this hotbed of suburban gridlock into a green, walkable city, a soon-to-be-adopted plan-as envisioned by our artist-calls for as much as tripling the current square footage by expanding upward, with the tallest buildings located next to four new train stations, which should be completed by 2013.

**** How To Talk About Abortion <http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/06/14/common_ground/index.html>
by Frances Kissling, Salon

President Obama wants supporters and opponents of choice to find "common ground." Can that really happen?

**** The Secret Lives Of Strangers <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/05/AR2009060502099.html?wprss=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
by M. Miller, Washington Post

In search of free stuff, I got more than I bargained for.

**** Kuan Yew Not Impressed With Penang Infrastructure <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/National/2581854/Article/index_html>
by New Straits Times

The state government should improve its infrastructure as it is inferior in comparison with those in Ipoh and Seremban. This was the view of Singapore's Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, said chief minister Lim Guan Eng.

**** Remarks Spark Reaction <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/6-0&fd=R&url=http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp%3Ffile%3D/2009/6/14/nation/4117684%26sec%3Dnation&cid=1260413178&ei=M1s0Svh_kII0r7H0ggg&usg=AFQjCNFU-bFYGXGbW47kZvNkPtS754-64g>
by Malaysia Star

Comments by Singapore’s Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew that Penang’s infrastructure is found wanting have led to the Chief Minister and his predecessor pointing fingers at each other.

**** Johor To Discuss With PM's Dept On Third Bridge Issue <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/6-0&fd=R&url=http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp%3Ffile%3D/2009/6/13/nation/20090613152115%26sec%3Dnation&cid=1260454953&ei=tmo0SvikIYOWMffNnIYI&usg=AFQjCNHjskxLaweNNQa9_xXEr5i5kvYBFQ>
by Malaysia Star

The Johor state government will work with the Prime Minister’s Department to analyse all aspects in the construction of the third bridge linking Malaysia and Singapore, if it is approved.

**** 林冠英李光耀‧只談政府事務 <http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/118170?tid=1>
by 星洲日報

雖然許多人對於大馬行動黨與新加坡行動黨之間的黨史淵源深感興趣,不過,檳州首席部長林冠英與新加坡內閣資政李光耀的會面,卻只專注於談政府事務而少談政黨。

**** H1N1 Flu Cases In Singapore Rise To 34 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/435851/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Singapore has confirmed seven more cases of Influenza A (H1N1), bringing the total number of confirmed cases here to 34.

**** Kelantan Wants To Emulate Singapore's Success In Cleanliness, Fighting Graft <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/435891/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Malaysia's opposition Islamic state of Kelantan wants to emulate Singapore's success in fighting graft and keeping the city clean.