[MyAppleMenu] Jun 16, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 16 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Resolving iPhoto Library Size Discrepancy <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=bfd83ea35f39424714776a73ecfe91c8>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

There’s very little you can do about the contents of the iPhoto Library package, but there is something you can do in iPhoto. Control-click on the Trash icon in iPhoto’s Library list and choose Empty Trash.

**** AT&amp;T: MMS &#39;no Extra Cost&#39; For Text Bundle Customers <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=829380b063af4d55d66e41505f29d7c5>
by David Chartier, Macworld

Good news, everyone: it sounds like you can take a (brief) break from throwing darts at AT&T's logo and photos of its various executives. Thanks to a new FAQ from the carrier that focuses on iPhone 3G S and some of iPhone OS 3.0's new features, we have a little more information on what to expect when MMS goes live later this summer.

**** Call AT&amp;T For The Best iPhone Upgrade Price <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/tidbits_main/~3/StCEowysNvc/10350>
by Rich Mogull, TidBITS

If you don't know, for sure, that you're getting the $199/$299 pricing, we recommend that you call AT&T, stop by a store, or check their online system for your upgrade eligibility date. If you think it's wrong, especially if you have an original iPhone, ask to talk to a supervisor and see if there might be a mistake on your account.

**** Apple Java Update Fixes Security Hole <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=84d906688f56417d793ab3a9af7c6421>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Apple on Monday released Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4 and Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Release 9, two updates that “deliver improved reliability, security and compatibility.”

**** How I Spend My WWDC <http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/124025728/wwdc-2009>
by Neven Mrgan's Tumbl

I’m very food-aware wherever I go, but I sure heard a lot of talk about where to eat what to eat how to eat it around the conference. Here’s what my experience has taught me.

**** Buy A Mac On Or After June 8, Get Snow Leopard For $10 <http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/15/buy-a-mac-on-or-after-june-8-get-snow-leopard-for-10/>
by Nicholas Deleon, CrunchGear

**** My Journey From Mac To PC, And Back Again <http://www.siliconbeat.com/2009/06/15/my-journey-from-mac-to-pc-and-back-again/>
by Chris Obrien, SiliconBeat

I wanted a machine that worked well, and made me passionate (but hopefully, not obnoxious).

**** Apple's Mac Isn't As Secure As Some Want Us To Believe <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Apples-Mac-Isnt-as-Secure-as-Some-Want-Us-to-Believe-183583/>
by Don Reisinger, eWeek

Mac OS X is widely considered the most secure operating system around. But is it really as secure as Apple and its supporters want us to believe?

**** Shion 2.0 Environment Automator Supports X10 Devices <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=3ae110e61ebde385eea71e1be05d65c1>
by MacNN

The software is used to monitor and control a chosen environment's lighting fixtures, appliances, and other electronic devices.

**** The Buzz About Apple&#39;s New Batteries <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/2-0&fd=R&url=http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/redirect.jsp%3Furl%3Dhttp://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/06/15/the-buzz-about-apples-new-batteries/&cid=1260445232&ei=zFo2SpPdN5K0NubG9IwI&usg=AFQjCNFBOpyIVruMrTRojq2u-m0PtbjG4w>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

There’s a surprising level of awe and wonder in the tech press about the batteries in the MacBook Pro computers that Apple unveiled last week — especially since they’ve been around for more than a year.

**** Why Mac Users Need To Grow Up About Viruses <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/8-0&fd=R&url=http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/why-mac-users-need-to-grow-up-about-viruses-608218&cid=1261240929&ei=sCs2Ss_EDYauMp-X-ZMI&usg=AFQjCNEZXNOr3oIWyPDZhSKuDip0opLQ9g>
by Graham Cluley, TechRadar UK

Yes, there aren't as many Mac malware threats as Windows threats - not by a long shot. But they do exist, and we are seeing some hacking gangs writing malware for both platforms, and planting their attacks on webpages in such a way as to serve up a Mac threat when Apple users visit, and a Windows attack when PC users surf by.

**** Judge Denies Apple’s Transfer Request <http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/06/15/judge-denies-apples-transfer-request/?mod=rss_WSJBlog>
by Ben Charny, Wall Street Journal

U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken recently denied a request from the Cupertino, Calif., company to transfer an unusual lawsuit it faces to a federal judge in San Jose, Calif.

**** RooSwitch: Application-Based User Switching <http://www.macworld.com/article/140283/2009/06/rooswitch.html?lsrc=rss_weblogs_macgems>
by Deborah Shadovitz, Macworld

Think of rooSwitch as an app that lets you perform user switching at the application level. Instead of logging in and out of different user accounts on your Mac, rooSwitch lets you switch users for only one app at a time by switching what rooSwitch calls Profiles.

**** Review : The Sims 3 For iPhone OS <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&amp;ct=us/5-0&amp;fd=R&amp;url=http://blog.seattlepi.com/digitaljoystick/archives/171340.asp%3Ffrom%3Dblog_last3&amp;cid=0&amp;ei=gU43StiIHKGkM5iM0I8I&amp;usg=AFQjCNGawOhOv4DKn5i3Z383jj2QLei-ZA>
by Seattle Post Intelligencer

**** Apple Allows Airtel To 'unlock' Its 3G iPhones <http://news.in.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3042245>
by Business Standard

Apple has authorised Bharti Airtel to ‘unlock’ its 3G iPhones, launched earlier, enabling the Indian company to sell it through their stores to any user, not necessarily only an Airtel subscriber.

**** Playing The Slots On Apple's New Laptops <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/playing-the-slots-on-apples-new-pro-books/>
by Stephen Williams, New York Times

Apple’s decision to build an SD (for Secure Digital) card slot into its new 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro laptops has raised some eyebrows from those who question its utility. Not to mention the fact that there’s no longer a functional ExpressCard slot in those Pro models.

**** Apple's MacBook Hinge Affair: Something's In The Air <http://www.edn.com/blog/400000040/post/470045647.html>
by Brian Dipert, EDN

**** Apple And The Magical Retail Experience In Its Global Stores <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/06/apple_and_the_m.html;jsessionid=AGK5N3RDCNA5YQSNDLOSKH0CJUNN2JVN>
by Bob Evans, InformationWeek

**** Review: More iPhone Wine Apps <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=71fe3d6eff83edb17ea46123808f00d1>
by Ben Boychuk, Macworld

**** Photo Wrangler Makes It Easy To Quickly Scan Through A Folder Of Photos <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=d4886a15ed940b93f9fd744d4bbba9b6>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Taptu, The Alternative Search Machine For iPhone <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TechCrunch/~3/QO5uIMkXiOc/>
by Scott Merrill, TechCrunch

**** Doing The iPod Shuffle <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/2-0&fd=R&url=http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25644933-8362,00.html&cid=1261828478&ei=trc3SqOhJpCCNMCs1P4H&usg=AFQjCNFxaCdRzuSZ2WAifpSLwgXRQ3WvfA>
by John O'Brien, Courier Mail

The iPod shuffle is simultaneously the most boring and most fascinating model in Apple's iPod lineup.

**** You iPhone. Me iPod Touch. <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/8-0&fd=R&url=http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/06/16/you-iphone-me-ipod-touch/&cid=1262076059&ei=trc3SqOhJpCCNMCs1P4H&usg=AFQjCNEgqYovXKOq-R3M2duJAGZPxGDfXQ>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

**** Hunch: A Cure For Indecision? <http://www.technologyreview.com/web/22809/>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review

A new site provides answers to life, the universe, and just about everything.

**** A Wireless Mouse That's Surfaceless, Too <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=78e5c088b0388a16ab3d123147697c29>
by Eric A. Taub, New York Times

**** Opera Unite Service Opens A Door To The PC <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10265397-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by CNET News.com

**** New Glimpses Of Life’s Puzzling Origins <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=04cc516da2dc74d8511c714bb20c23b4>
by Nicholas Wade, New York Times

The origins of life on Earth bristle with puzzle and paradox.

**** Titlenomics, Or Creating Best Sellers <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=b128ce4c43f5f41fa82f3b0bee494c78>
by Patricia Cohen, New York Times

Capitalizing on popular titles has a long pedigree in the publishing industry. A well-turned phrase can give birth to dozens of offspring.

**** Save That Old TV - There's A Message In The 'Snow' <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/saffo/detail?entry_id=41687>
by Paul Saffo, San Francisco Chronicle

That snow you saw wasn't noise; it was the universe whispering it's secrets to you while you dozed in it's gentle glow.

**** Last Words <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/slate/~3/0njLorrw-2o/>
by Jane Shore, Slate Magazine

**** New Policies, Not New Parks, Needed For Social Harmony <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3253>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

With its “growth-at-all-cost” model of economic management, our Government is taking its pro-foreigner policies to the extreme, and its policies often leaves its own citizens feeling like second class residents living in a hotel rather than a home.

**** When Age Is The Limit <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090616-0000064/When-age-is-the-limit>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today

Older jobseekers cite qualifications and skills as other obstacles

**** Taking A Leaf From Apple <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090616-0000069/Taking-a-leaf-from-Apple>
by Alicia Wong, Today

Just as Apple created the basic iPhone, then spawned an entire business of developers building applications for it, Singapore will be taking its accolade-winning e-Government model to another new level.

Instead of being the sole provider of public services, it must evolve to become “an open IT platform to nurture an ecosystem of IT services”, said senior minister Goh Chok Tong who urged “transformational shifts” in the way e-Government is thought about.

**** In Health Care, Do We All Lose To Singapore? <http://business.theatlantic.com/2009/06/in_health_care_do_we_all_lose_to_singapore.php>
by Derek Thompson, The Atlantic

There's a problem with turning Singapore into a sexy pin-up for health care wonks: it breaks a lot of rules.

**** Singapore Retail Sales Plunge Most In 10 Years <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/06/15/ap6542495.html>
by Forbes

**** Lee Kuan Yew&#39;s Visit To Malaysia <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/0-0&fd=R&url=http://blog.thestar.com.my/permalink.asp%3Fid%3D24160&cid=1260413178&ei=N542Sqi4GqGkM-mO-JAI&usg=AFQjCNHspwzGtsORRHXdsil4TXy2uEf1uQ>
by Malaysia Star

**** Many Asians Count On Their Pet Fish For Good Luck <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/2-0&fd=R&url=http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE55E1NT20090615&cid=1261464221&ei=mJU2StGTNsWdlQe8k6mMCA&usg=AFQjCNH6_uRSyktXyNOiE31sovpZnW0qfA>
by Eveline Danubrata, Reuters

In the Chinese culture, owning a fish is considered a good investment because the Mandarin characters for fish and water are associated with wealth and plenty.

**** Lee Kuan Yew Misled Into Believing Penang Had Little Progress <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/NewsBreak/20090615180439/Article/index_html>
by Lee Keng Fatt, New Straits Times

**** Grangeford Sub-tenants Were In Danger Of Having Power Cut Off <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/436205/1/.html>
by Zul Othman, Today

A new twist has emerged in the ongoing saga at The Grangeford. TODAY has learnt that more than 200 sub-tenants at the condominium in Leonie Hill were in danger of having their power cut off because former master tenant Ideal Accommodation did not pay the electricity bill.

**** Mahathir Scoffs At MM's Visit <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_390933.html>
by Straits Times

Former Malaysian premier Mahathir Mohamad yesterday poured fresh vitriol on Singapore, calling minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew a 'little Emperor' and describing the republic as a 'new Middle Kingdom'.

In a no-holds-barred tirade on his blog Che Det that coincided with the tail-end of an official visit by Mr Lee to Malaysia, he slammed Singapore for putting itself in the centre of the region, and also took issue with other topics such as the Iskandar development in Johor and the supply of water.

**** Q1 Job Market Dismal <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_390926.html>
by Aaron Low, Straits Times

The latest quarterly labour market data paint a picture as dismal as when Sars hit Singapore six years ago.

**** The Modern Middle Kingdom <http://chedet.co.cc/chedetblog/2009/06/the-modern-middle-kingdom.html>
by Mahathir Mohamad

**** Job-hopping Foreigners <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_390959.html>
by Straits Times

Some employers of foreign workers say they are grappling with a problem of job-hopping China workers.

**** Legal Recourse For Foreign Workers <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/06/legal-recourse-for-foreign-workers/>
by The Online Citizen

**** The Case For Income Equality In Singapore <http://aussgworldpolitics.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/the-case-for-income-equality-in-singapore/>
by Readings From A Political Duo-ble

**** Commentary: Free Wi-Fi Extended To 2013 In Singapore <http://www.techgoondu.com/2009/06/16/commentary-free-wi-fi-extended-to-2013-in-singapore/>
by Alfred Siew, Techgoondu

Singapore’s free islandwide Wi-Fi service will be extended for another four years, until 2013, in a move that will delight users who have enjoyed not just free surfing on the go, but increased competition in telecom services as a result of the free offering.

**** Learn From Singapore <http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=34650>
by Goh Ban Lee, The Sun

Penang could and should learn from Singapore about public transport. The world is also learning from the island state. In fact, Penang could learn from the republic about housing, open space and landscaping, public safety, pedestrian walkways and cleanliness, just to name the obvious ones.

Most important of all, Penang and for that matter Malaysia should learn from Singapore about compliance with municipal rules.

**** Kuan Yew's Trip For The Future <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_390974.html>
by Joceline Tan, The Star

Singapore leaders have been observing Malaysia’s politics with some concern since the 2008 election and they are not taking the Pakatan claims about capturing Putrajaya lightly.

**** Singapore Pushes For Online Economy <http://www.financialstandard.com.au/news/view/26010/>
by Financial Standard

There is a new threat to Australia's aspirations to become Asia's financial hub and it is "virtual", after Singapore announced this month that it plans to spend big on IT to build an "online economy".

**** Check When Fibre Is Coming To Your Home <http://www.techgoondu.com/2009/06/16/check-when-fibre-is-coming-to-your-home/>
by Alfred Siew, Techgoondu

**** 老李情不留,老马酸溜溜 <http://xiong5205.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post_16.html>
by 栖雁雅筑

两个都是耄耋的老者了,今儿活着不相见,还留待黄泉见吗?故老马为此感到特别伤心。他把伤心化为愤恨,又将愤恨提炼成醋溜,使得他的部落格里溢满了酸醋味。他如果真是气顶,也可以效法李氏,到新国去访问,尽拜访其他人,就不要见李氏一人,作为报复呀;可惜,他恐怕没有这个魅力吧,声誉输了人,还有什么好说的?

**** 新加坡再显反华本色 叫嚣联防想染指中国南海 <http://www.xinjunshi.com/Article/zlps/6355.html>
by 新军事网

**** Among Equals: Mahathir Versus Lee Kuan Yew <http://hantulautan.blogspot.com/2009/06/among-equals-mahathir-versus-lee-kuan.html>
by Hantulaut

Lee must be a grudging old man and is still sore. The least he could do is to pay a courtesy call on his old foe and let bygones be bygones.Mahathir, rightfully, must have been slighted by Lee's lack of statesmanship.

**** Two Countries And Two Men <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2009/06/two-countries-and-two-men.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

A beautiful friendship is possible between Malaysia and Singapore. It really just depends on the deaths of these two men.

**** The Wretched Nobody <http://imagineequality.blogspot.com/2009/06/wretched-nobody.html>
by Imagine...

What a pathetic and sorry stunt indeed.

**** No He Won't Shut Up <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2009/06/no-he-wont-shut-up.html>
by My Singapore News

**** Beyond Lee Kuan Yew's Visit <http://sakmongkol.blogspot.com/2009/06/beyond-lee-kuan-yews-visit.html>
by SAKMONGKOL AK47

**** Rewriting The Unwritten Social Contract <http://singaporesocialactivist.blogspot.com/2009/06/rewriting-unwritten-social-contract.html>
by Singapore Social Activist

The town council report certainly seems to be another exercise by the ruling party to remind Singaporeans of the unwritten social contract it has with them - “I give you prosperity (in this case spruced up estates which will command better resale value for your HDB house) while you give me your votes”.

**** Blueprint For Media Sector <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_391036.html>
by Straits Times

**** CCS Acts On Price-fixing <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_391064.html>
by Straits Times

The Express Bus Agencies Association (EBAA) and 16 companies have been asked to show cause for fixing prices of express bus tickets from Singapore to various destinations in Malaysia from 2006 to 2008.

**** Expressway Surveillance System To Be Expanded To Major Roads <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/436324/1/.html>
by Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia

The Expressway Monitoring and Advisory System (EMAS) will be extended to 10 major arterial road corridors by 2013.

**** MHA Places Two Singaporeans On Restriction Orders <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/436337/1/.html>
by Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's Home Affairs Ministry (MHA) has placed two Singaporeans on Restriction Orders under the Internal Security Act (ISA).

See Also: Release of ISA Detainee and Issuance of Restriction Orders under the Internal Security Act, 16 June 2009 [http://www.mha.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=MTQ1Mw%3d%3d-WoiQG6UV3n4%3d], by Ministry of Home Affairs, Singapore Government.

**** 新加坡向中国学生发高额助学金 <http://liuxue.zjol.com.cn/05liuxue/system/2009/06/16/015595926.shtml>
by 余琴, 浙江在线

据悉,为了吸引更多优质的国际学生就读公立院校,新加坡政府实行了向中国学生发放高达80%助学金的政策,且无需还款,只要在入学前和政府签订毕业后在新加坡工作三年的协议即可,对于个别优异的学生甚至给予学费全免和提供额外生活费用,优秀的学生还有机会申请各种企业奖学金,这对于国际学生无疑具有强大的吸引力。

**** Temasek Holdings Investment Performance And Transparency <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/0-0&fd=R&url=http://www.hedged.biz/index.php/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D164:temasek-holdings-investment-performance-and-transparency%26catid%3D1:latest-news%26Itemid%3D63&cid=0&ei=oXI3SsXxF4KqMvWBnZEI&usg=AFQjCNG3okJePNwipiHkb3gB2g3-AwluZA>
by Hedged.biz

It is not a bad performance for an effectively long only private equity, strategic investment mandate.