[MyAppleMenu] Apr 22, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 22 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Stay Oriented With The Finder's Path And Title Bars <http://www.macworld.com/article/139872/2009/04/pathtitle.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

When you move around in the Finder, it’s easy to get confused about where you are. For example, you may navigate deep into a set of project archives and become unsure about which year or month you’re in. Two bars can help you figure out where you are and offer some shortcuts.

**** PopChar X Adds 'Reverse Search' Feature <http://www.macworld.com/article/140129/2009/04/popchar.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

PopChar X helps you find and insert special characters into applications — making it unnecessary to memorize complicated key sequences need to invoke extended ASCII or Unicode characters.

**** A Little Over A Week nd A Half Ago... <http://log.maniacalrage.net/post/98510137/a-little-over-a-week-and-a-half-ago-google>
by Garrett Murray, Maniacal Rage

Perhaps it’s just frustration speaking here, but when Apple ties my hands behind my back and lets users punch me publicly in the face without allowing me to at least respond back, it’s hard to get excited about building an app.

**** Mac Mini Media Center: Configuring Front Row <http://www.macworld.com/article/140088/2009/04/macmini_mediacenter_frontrow.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

Connect your mini to your AV system and configure Apple’s software.

**** Quick Look And Video Files <http://www.macworld.com/article/140131/2009/04/quicklookvideo.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Quick Look, the OS X 10.5 feature that lets you peek into files without opening them, is a great time saver, and the interface is about as simple as it gets.

**** On Macs And Malware <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2009/04/on_macs_and_mal.html>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

I’m living proof that a Mac user can exist happily without using anti-virus software on their computer, and I have done so for about a decade.

**** DMG Canvas 1.0.8 <http://www.macworld.com/article/140134/2009/04/dmgcanvas.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by James Dempsey, Macworld

DMG Canvas is dead-simple to use, and makes the otherwise-boring task of creating custom volume windows fun.

**** Sway For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140136/2009/04/sway.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chris Holt, Macworld

Sway is ideal for gamers looking for a quick challenge on the iPhone’s mobile platform, and can enjoy a long gaming experience (owing to the difficulty).

**** Dictionary.com For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140081/2009/04/dictionarydotcom.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Lex Friedman, Macworld

Overall, the app is solid, and it works as advertised. I did find that typing stalled a bit when the app had a lot of type-ahead suggestions to offer, and it can sometimes take a noticeable half-second for definitions to appear—even though they’re all residing on the device.

**** Why Time Capsule Is Doomed To Suck <http://devwhy.blogspot.com/2009/04/why-time-capsule-is-doomed-to-suck.html>
by Louis Gerbarg, /dev/why!?!

**** Jeopardy! Super Deluxe <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1028>
by Ted Bade, Inside Mac Games

I found playing with the AI’s a bit odd feeling, but I do like the challenge of finding the answers, so I gravitated toward the single player options. There are lots and lots of clues in this game. If you like that aspect of Jeopardy, you will definitely find a lot of fun here. Because you can play with real people, this version has the potential to be a fun family game.

**** Why Snow Leopard Should Be (Almost) Free <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10228>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

>From a business standpoint, older versions of Mac OS X do nothing but create costs for Apple and for developers, but it's difficult to encourage users to upgrade without an incentive. With the bold move of making Snow Leopard free or very cheap, Apple would attract not just all Leopard users, but every user of Tiger who had put off upgrading to Leopard because the new features weren't worth $129.

**** Follow The Cash <http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/donovans_views_follow_the_cash/>
by Macsimum News

Cash is king, and more so, especially in these recessionary times when it comes to comparing and valuing possible business performances.

**** Riding The New Wave <http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/riding-the-new-wave?page=1>
by Phil Elliott, Gameindustry.biz

**** Jer's Novel Writer Is A Memorable Writer's App <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/jers_novel_writer_is_a_memorable_writers_app>
by John martellaro, The Mac Observer

**** A Beautiful Machine: Two Months On The Unibody MacBook <http://theappleblog.com/2009/04/21/a-beautiful-machine-two-months-on-the-unibody-macbook/>
by Charles Moore, The Apple Blog

After two months of getting configured and acquainted, I’m pretty much comfortably settled in with my first Intel Mac — a little jewel of a 13″ unibody MacBook — and thus far it’s pretty much all good.

**** How Green Is Apple: Good Citizenship Or Good Business? <http://www.macworld.com/article/140123/2009/04/greenapple4.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeff Bertolucci, Macworld

There’s little doubt that Apple is turning greener. But industry watchers say that the company is crowing about improvements it would have had to make anyway. “It’s not just about manufacturers doing the right thing,” says IDC research analyst David Daoud. “It’s really the market forcing them to do so.”

**** How Green Is Apple: Where Does The E-Waste Go? <http://www.macworld.com/article/140122/2009/04/greenapple3.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeff Bertoulcci, Macworld

This lack of transparency makes it difficult to assess Apple’s e-waste operation.

**** How Green Is Apple: Cleaning The Supply Chain <http://www.macworld.com/article/140120/2009/04/greenapple2.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeff Bertolucci, Macworld

Like most electronics manufacturers, Apple doesn’t actuallly make its own products. That can make it hard to assess the environmental impact of its production processes.

**** Google Joins Effort For 3D Web Standard With New Plugin, API <http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2009/04/google-releases-3d-graphics-plugin-for-browsers.ars>
by Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

Google has released a new open source browser plugin that provides APIs for displaying rich 3D graphics in Web content. Google hopes that the plugin will help to advance a collaborative effort to create open standards for bringing 3D to the web.

**** Fliq Notes, Doc 2.0 Add Two-Way Sync To The iPhone <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/04/21/fliq.apps.updated/>
by MacNN

Mark/Space has released version 2.0 updates for Fliq Notes and Fliq Docs on the iTunes App Store, adding support for two-way syncing of notes, documents and files with both Macs and PCs.

**** Media Survey: Apple Oriented Businesses Have Bright Outlook <http://cultofmac.com/media-survey-apple-oriented-businesses-have-bright-outlook/10225>
by Lonnie Lazar, Cult Of Mac

**** Tackling The Ethics Of Eating <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-ethics-eating22-2009apr22,0,1301593.story?track=rss>
by Mary MacVean, Los Angeles Times

With the growing move toward sustainable, simpler habits, choosing how and what to eat can get complicated. Enter the green guru.

**** Helen Gurley Brown: The Original Carrie Bradshaw <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/books/22garn.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Dwight Garner, New York Times

In her entertaining new biography of Ms. Brown, “Bad Girls Go Everywhere,” Jennifer Scanlon, a professor of gender and women’s studies at Bowdoin College, charts her subject’s rocketlike rise out of the Ozarks. She also argues, convincingly, for Ms. Brown as a feisty, pivotal and too easily dismissed pioneer of the American women’s movement, one who dismayed more serious feminists with her breezy tone, her refusal to see men as the enemy and her belief that sex is not only great fun but also a “powerful weapon” for single women.

**** What And Who Can You Trust? <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/04/what-and-who-can-you-trust.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

You simply cannot trust people to handle money when there are no checks in place.

Even for good and honest people, as the saying goes, "trust, but verify."

**** Yasmin Defends 'Funeral' <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/National/2537778/Article/index_html>
by Faridul Anwar Farinordin, New Straits Times

A Singapore TV commercial by award-winning filmmaker Yasmin Ahmad, posted on YouTube, is raising a storm.

**** What Should The Indian Rojak Man Be Charged For? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7871>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

The haste in which Mr Allaudin was charged seemed to give one the impression that he was being made a scapegoat to take the rap for others.

**** Wanted: An NMP For The Arts <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/315266.asp>
by Mayo Martin, Today

For the first time, the community is searching ground-up for candidates to the post of Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) .

**** Open Letter To Environment Minister Yaacob Ibrahim To Set Up An Independent Panel To Investigate The Geylang Serai Market Food Poisoning <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7984>
by The Wayang Party Club

**** 中国人熟悉新加坡电视剧 <http://www.zaobao.com/special/china/zaodian/pages2/zaodian_shanghai090422.shtml>
by 何惜薇, 联合早报

有趣的是,《小娘惹》主题曲的第一句歌词是“愿意合上眼才能美梦无边,别让悔熏乌了从前”,跟《人在旅途》中的“勇往直前”相比,它似乎多了些许宿命与无奈。

**** Suicide Peak Ahead <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_366891.html>
by Susan Long, Straits Times

If the downturn deepens, Singapore should brace itself for a rise in suicides. And it should do all it can to prevent the increase from starting now, warns Dr Chia Boon Hock.

**** Firefly May Start Flying To Singapore In June <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/4/22/business/3742242&sec=business>
by Leong Hung Yee, The Star

FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), is expected to commence its inaugural flight to Singapore in June following the approval from the transport ministry.

**** 证实收到莱佛士酒店改建与加建申请 市建局:有关工程须获古迹保存局批准 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090422_520.shtml>
by 吴慧敏, 联合早报

市区重建局证实收到莱佛士酒店的工程申请,不过由于莱佛士酒店被列为国家古迹,所以有关申请还必须得到古迹保存局的批准。

**** Raffles And Savoy <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article6142968.ece>
by Heba Fatani, Kingdom Holding Company, The Times

We leave it to readers to ask the question as to why a business enterprise would embark on such expensive expansion and renovation, especially in these financially troubled times, only to turn around and sell its hotels in a significantly depressed real estate market.

**** Singapore Puts Itself In The Innovation Hot Spot <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/management/article6143009.ece>
by Carol Lewis, The Times

If we don't take the time to work smarter and be more innovative then someone else in the global economy will - probably in Singapore.

**** Port Operator PSA: Container Shipping Slump Bottomed <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSSIN46876820090421>
by Neil Chatterjee and Harry Suhartono, Reuters

Ports operator PSA said on Tuesday a slump in container shipping trade has hit bottom but many ports are likely to face overcapacity and increasing competition before global volumes rebound.

**** Singapore Veteran Returns After 50 Years <http://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/Singapore-veteran-returns-after-50.5187288.jp>
by Neil Graham, Grantham Journal

**** Tiger Keeps Mauling Singapore Airlines' Image In Australia <http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2009/04/22/tiger-keeps-mauling-singapore-airlines-image-in-australia/>
by Ben Sandilands, Plane Talking

Tiger Airways seems to have a culture of being evasive, tricky, unreliable and contemptuous of its customers. The antithesis of its major shareholder.

**** What If This Happens In Singapore? <http://blog.dk.sg/2009/04/22/what-if-this-happens-in-singapore/>
by Dee Kay Dot As Gee

What if one day, a police officer did something wrong and they use this law to stop witness from recording the deed? Are we safe? Is there really a need to have this Public Order Bill?

**** World Standard Government? <http://singaland.blogspot.com/2009/04/world-standard-government.html>
by Singaland

PAP is feared so much that no public agencies dare to censure any of its subsidiaries even if their action, or inaction as in this case, not only can harm but lead to loss of human life.

**** Stop Pushing For The Crooked Bridge <http://english.cpiasia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1532:stop-pushing-for-the-crooked-bridge&catid=211:koon-yew-yin&Itemid=156>
by Koon Yew Yin, Centre For Policy Initiatives

The public should note that the latest Mahathir blast on the bridge contains no clear or strong justification for building the crooked bridge – no economic reason, no technical reason and most important of all, no balanced analysis of the pros and cons of building the bridge.

**** Nudism In Singapore <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2009/04/nudism-in-singapore.html>
by Sam's Thoughts

What is it about religion, pop culture, capitalism, patriarchy, etc. that makes us have an unfavourable view of nudism?

**** Corner's Inquiry Into NTU Student's Death Fixed For May 20-26 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/424131/1/.html>
by 938 Live

A coroner's inquiry into the unnatural death of Nanyang Technological University (NTU) student David Hartanto Widjaja has been set for next month.

**** No Linking Of Hygiene Ratings To Food Stall Licence <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/424144/1/.html>
by Hasnita Majid, Channel NewsAsia

The National Environment Agency (NEA) has no plans to link the grading system of food stalls to the renewal of their licence.

This disconnect is quite disturbing. A single measurement yardstick is going to mean two different things under two different systems: this can easily go out of sync. I think MOH should really set its own (higher) standards and do the measurements themselves, rather than rely on NEA's measurements which is for a different purpose.