[MyAppleMenu] Apr 23, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 23 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** BIAS Unveils SoundSoap Pro 2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/140147/2009/04/soundsoap.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

BIAS introduced the next version of its noise reduction utility, SoundSoap Pro 2, improving on the applications ability to remove unwanted noise from a sound file.

**** Trend Smart Surfing Protects Users From Online Scams <http://www.macworld.com/article/140153/2009/04/trend.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Trend Smart Surfing for Mac blocks instant message and e-mail links that lead to dangerous Web sites. It can also protect users from “phishing” scams that try to trick users into revealing confidential information, and it keeps Web sites from installing software of the Mac.

**** Managing An iWeb Site From Multiple Macs <http://www.macworld.com/article/140154/2009/04/iweb_from_two_macs.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

Unfortunately, MobileMe doesn’t support this kind of syncing. But other services do.

**** AT&T Reports Smooth Sailing On The iPhone Front For Q1'09 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/att-reports-smooth-sailing-on-the-iphone-front-for-q109.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

AT&T's results for the first quarter of this year spell good news for the company as well as Apple. Over 1.6 million iPhones were activated on AT&T's network in the first three months of 2009.

**** Mac Mini Media Center: Get Content <http://www.macworld.com/article/140090/2009/04/macmini_mediacenter_content.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

Much to Apple’s dismay, music and video don’t begin and end with the iTunes Store. Multimedia content is available from DVDs you own, live television broadcasts, and content streamed across the Internet.

**** Strong iPhone And iPod Sales Drive Apple Profits To $1.21 Billion <http://www.macworld.com/article/140162/2009/04/appleearnings.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple on Wednesday reported a profit of $1.21 billion for its fiscal second quarter ending March 28, 2009, buoyed by strong iPod and iPhone sales. Mac sales were down three percent for the quarter compared to last year, but sales of the iPod and iPhone were up for the same period.

**** Apple Removes 'Baby Shaker' From App Store <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10225184-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Tom Krazit, CNET

In the past, Apple has shown no hesitation in rejecting iPhone applications that it felt contained offensive language or objectionable content.

**** Apple Q2 09 Call: Apple &quot;Very Happy&quot; With AT&T, Still No Netbooks <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/apple-q2-09-call-apple-very-happy-with-att-still-no-netbooks.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Once again, Apple COO Tim Cook shot down the idea of Apple selling a netbook. "When I look at what's being sold in the netbook space today, I see cracked keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, very small screens," Cook said. "[That's] not something that we would put the Mac brand on, quite frankly. It's not a space, as it exists today, that we're interested in."

**** iPhone Teleprompter, Accessories Demoed At NAB <http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/04/22/iphone.becomes.teleprompte/>
by iPodnn

Bodelin Technologies has created an iPhone app and several accessories that turn an iphone or iPod Touch into a teleprompter.

**** Steve Jobs To Return As Scheduled In June: Apple <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iJqKV490GLF7wQBD0X4IyUxustSQ>
by AFP

**** Apple CFO: Consumer SPending Stronger Than Business, Govt <http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090422-718035.html>
by Ben Charny, Wall Street Journal

**** Will Apple And Google Go To War Over Netbooks? <http://blogs.computerworld.com/will_apple_and_google_go_to_war_over_netbooks>
by Preston Gralla, Computerworld

To succeed, both Google and Apple will probably have to take somewhat of a similar marketing approach &mdash;- we're not Microsoft.

**** Downsizing My Mac Software To Work Better For Me <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/downsizing_my_mac_software_to_work_better_for_me/>
by Bambi Brannan, Mac360

The trend today is toward data portability, which means it’s my data and I should be able to use it anywhere.

**** In Defense Of Baby Shaking On The iPhone <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/in-defense-of-baby-shaking-on-the-iphone/>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times

Do we want Apple to be able to block applications that include praises for the Palm Pre or criticisms of the salary of Steve Jobs?

On the other hand, should we force Apple &mdash; or any business &mdash; to sell anything and everything?

**** Why AT&T Wants To Keep The iPhone Away From Verizon <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/why-att-wants-to-keep-the-iphone-away-from-verizon/>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times

AT&T’s earnings report on Wednesday highlights the enormous stakes involved in the renewal of its exclusive contract to distribute Apple’s iPhone in the United States.

**** Apple Partners Wait Patiently For iPhone Opportunity <http://www.crn.com/software/217000265;jsessionid=FCOW2JCYZUCCAQSNDLOSKH0CJUNN2JVN>
by Kevin McLaughlin, ChannelWeb

Apple talks a lot about the brand halo effect between the iPod, iPhone and Mac sales. According to many Apple resellers, this effect could be exponentially amplified if Apple were to allow them to sell the iPhone.

**** Capo For Mac May Be A Musician's Best Friend <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/capo-for-mac-may-be-musicians-best-friend.ars>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

If you are a musician of any level and enjoy incorporating your Mac into your practice sessions, you owe it to yourself to give Capo a try.

**** iPod Touch Is Apple's Sleeper Hit <http://www.businessinsider.com/ipod-touch-is-apples-sleeper-hit-2009-4>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider

**** How Apple Is Squeezing Out More Profit Than Ever <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/apr/23/apple-gadgets>
by Bobbie Johnson, The Guardian

**** Google To Highlight GWT At Google I/O Developer Conference <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Google-to-Highlight-GWT-at-Google-IO-Developer-Conference-480791/?kc=rss>
by Darryl K. Taft, eWeek

**** China's Other Minority, Seen By One Of Its Own <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/books/23fren.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Howard W. French, New York Times

In this memoir, “Dragon Fighter,” part defiant political tell-all, part engrossing personal saga, Rebiya Kadeer paints a vivid picture of her life as a mother of 11 and a businesswoman who spent nearly six years in prison on her way to becoming the Uighur people’s most prominent dissident.

**** Losing Its Cool At The Mall <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/fashion/23TEENS.html?_r=1>
by Eric Wilson, New York Times

This spring, spending by teenagers, a closely studied but rarely understood segment of the population, is off by 14 percent, a direct reflection of the economy, according to a report this month by the investment bank Piper Jaffray. And that is having a profound effect on an already unraveling mall culture, where deep discounters and stores known for heavy promotions are suddenly the popular destinations and aspirational brands are struggling to fit in.

**** Our Hawaiian Holiday Without, Well, Hawaii <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/fashion/23spy.html>
by Michelle Slatalla, New York Times

So last week we joined the ranks of Americans who are staying home and calling it a vacation.

**** Singapore 10% GDP Drop, 7.5% Unemployment Likely: IMF Report <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2009/04/singapore-10-gdp-drop-75-unemployment-likely-imf-report.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind

**** Grading System Is 'Sound' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_367363.html>
by Amresh Gunashingham, Straits Times

The A-B-C-D cleanliness grading system for food stalls is sound, robust and has led to higher hygiene standards here, environment and water resources minister Yaacob Ibrahim said on Wednesday.

He was also not in favour of taking away the licences of stallholders who do not score the top A or B grades.

**** Made To Pay MRT Fare For Baby Stroller <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_367122.html>
by Ang Siow Hui, Straits Times

**** Resorting To Suicide Is An Act Of Cowardice <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_367121.html>
by C.V.G. Krishnan, Straits Times

I could not, therefore, even imagine that it still has an appeal to many finding themselves at the edge of despair.

How about facing up with scientific research — especially those on depressions and mental illness — and doing some reading? After all, you are a journalist, aren't you? Isn't ignorance another form of cowardice?

**** So Hard To Get Through To Tiger Airways' Hotline <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_367117.html>
by Vijeya Kumar Govindan, Straits Times

Low-cost doesn't mean you can not give decent customer service. (Just ask the auntie selling $1.50 breakfast at my local coffeeshop.) Tiger Airways is a shame for its Singapore Airlines parent.

**** Why Are Trains Faster In Paris, Tokyo, HK? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_367278.html>
by Nicholas Joshua Law, Straits Times

Subway trains in Paris arrive at intervals of between 90 and 105 seconds. Those in Tokyo and Hong Kong arrive at two- to 21/2-minute intervals. In Singapore, the peak period train interval is four minutes. Most of the time, it is six minutes.

The Paris and Tokyo train systems are much bigger and older than Singapore's, yet they have a higher frequency of arrivals.

**** In Singapore, A More Progressive Islamic Education <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/world/asia/23singapore.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Norimitsu Onishi, New York Times

After starting the day with prayers and songs in honor of the Prophet Muhammad’s birthday, the students at the Madrasa Al Irsyad Al Islamiah here in Singapore turned to the secular. An all-girls chemistry class grappled with compounds and acids while other students focused on English, math and other subjects from the national curriculum.

Teachers exhorted their students to ask questions. Some, true to the school’s embrace of new technology, gauged their students’ comprehension with individual polling devices.

**** Room For Political Robustness <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/315477.asp>
by Poh Lee Heng, Today

I personally would rather live with a certain amount of instability due to political differences, in exchange for political robustness. I think Singapore has matured vastly over the last 20 years and can survive and prosper even if there are political differences.

**** 新加坡人爱说“不可以” <http://news.163.com/09/0422/13/57GPV8U2000120GR.html>
by 北方新报

“不可以”是新加坡人的口头禅,做好公民,不做“不可以”的事,是他们的基本原则。

**** Dr M: Scenic Bridge Will Enhance Iskandar Project <http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/political-news/4920-dr-m-scenic-bridge-will-enhance-iskandar-project.html>
by Chan Kok Leong, The Edge Malaysia

The elder statesman said that the bridge will improve traffic flow between Singapore and Malaysia and hence benefit IDR.

**** Further Restrictions On Rights In Singapore <http://www.amnesty.org.au/news/comments/20851/#When:22:28:01Z>
by Amnesty International

Amnesty International recognises the security concerns and the challenges of policing such a large event. However, this development has the potential of further constricting freedom of peaceful assembly in Singapore, which is already compromised. This law should be amended to ensure full compliance with international human rights standards.

Amnesty International calls on the Singapore government to meet its legal obligations under Article 14(1) of the Singapore Constitution to preserve freedom of speech and expression; the right to assemble peaceably and without arms; and the right to form associations.

**** 新加坡是最后的赢家 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090423_506.shtml>
by 沈裕尼, 联合早报

新加坡人的“逆来顺受”,也让一些国家的人嘲笑我们是(政府)“听话”的国民。而今,这些“听话”的国民要再次面对另一轮的挑战,和“汹涌”而至的新移民一起来为新加坡的经济奋斗,再创经济“奇迹”。

**** 弯桥课题为何又死灰复燃? <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/sl090423_501.shtml>
by 联合早报

种种迹象显示,马哈迪及其旧部正在利用首相刚刚更迭的机会,向纳吉政府施加压力,试图在最大程度上卷土重来,恢复他们在阿都拉手头失掉的利益。

弯桥所涉及的不单是马国的内部政治,它还牵扯到新马双边关系。纳吉政府接下来会如何应对,自然也就很值得我们关注。

**** Yaacob Still Daydreaming About His &quot;Sound&quot; &amp; &quot;Robust&quot; System <http://wayangparty.com/?p=8120>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

**** Student Activism - What's Next? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/student-activism-what’s-next/>
by Darren Boon, The Online Citizen

Singapore has come a long way from violent protests and demonstrations, and it is unlikely that we would go back this route. And I believe there is no need to resort to militancy or disruptive tactics to advocate a cause. A peaceful and collective civic participation to a fair cause at the right moment is useful in getting concerns heard.

The students group is a testament to this. Yet, it’s lamentable that right now students can’t do much outside their studies and co-curricular activities, and that they can only look forward to a day whereby even a public petition wouldn’t be a taboo any longer.

**** Questions For Justice Choo Han Teck In The Sentencing Of Lim Hong Eng <http://wayangparty.com/?p=8102>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

**** Silenced, Defenceless <http://cavalierio.blogspot.com/2009/04/silenced-defenceless.html>
by Cavalierio

The POA is about preserving the dominance of the PAP. For this reason, the POA is about us, the citizens.

**** March Tourist Arrivals Down 13.2%-On-Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/424309/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Tourist arrivals to Singapore fell by 13.2 per cent last month, compared to March 2008.

**** Singapore Inflation Slows To 21-Month Low As Recession Deepens <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a5JyzKi31rj4&refer=asia>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s inflation slowed to a 21-month low in March as a weakening economy eroded demand and transport and communication costs eased.

**** Mister Sandman, Bring Me Some Sand <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1838&Itemid=195>
by Asia Sentinel

Singapore continues to grow on everybody else's land.

**** "吃了口香糖就粘在桌子上" 成龙:新加坡人不自爱 <http://stars.zaobao.com/pages7/chenglong090423a.shtml>
by 陈盈之 郭秀芳, 联合晚报

如果敏感一些,成龙的这翻言论,即可解读为批评新加坡人不像美国人和日本人那样自律自爱,所以政府才不准本地人吃口香糖。

**** 新加坡 罚出来的美丽花园城市 <http://travel.newssc.org/system/2009/04/23/011829580.shtml>
by 21CN旅游

说新加坡是一个罚款国家,一点儿也不为过。

**** Family Of NTU Student Questions Police About University's Statement <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/424419/1/.html>
by Nurviana Mubtadi, Channel NewsAsia

One of their main concerns is the release of a statement by the university about the events leading to Widjaja's death before police investigations were completed.

**** Wireless at SG Still 'Growing' <http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62053519,00.htm>
by Victoria Ho, ZDNet Asia

Singapore's free wireless Internet service, Wireless at SG, is still seeing new sign-ons, according to the government and local operators.

**** Tropical Storm Behind Strongest Winds To Hit Singapore In 9 Years <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/424439/1/.html>
by Tan Yew Guan, Channel NewsAsia

The National Environment Agency (NEA) says a tropical storm is the reason for the strong winds which blew into Singapore Wednesday night. A wind speed of up to 83 kilometres per hour was recorded -- the strongest in nearly nine years.