[MyAppleMenu] Apr 21, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Apr 21 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple To Release Q2 2009 Financial Results On Apirl 22nd <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/20/apple-to-release-q2-2009-financial-results-on-april-22nd/>
by Eric Slivka, MacRumors.com

**** Nvidia Offers Quadro FX 4800 Card For Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/140106/2009/04/nvidia.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Nvidia on Monday announced that their high-end Quadro FX 4800 graphics card is now available for the Mac. The card is coming in May, 2009 and will be available for $1800 from Apple and select Mac resellers and workstation integrators.

**** Word Twiddle For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139987/2009/04/wordtwiddle.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Tony Craine, Macworld

Random word generator can help spur creativity.

**** Tweetie For Mac Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/140104/2009/04/tweetie_for_mac_released.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by David Chartier, Macworld

Tweetie features a unique UI with separate sections for your friends’ timeline, replies and mentions, direct messages, and a search panel that can be torn off into a separate window.

**** Revisiting The Mac Mini Media Center <http://www.macworld.com/article/140087/2009/04/macmini_mediacenter_getstarted.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

Prepare the mini for life as a media center with more RAM, an external drive.

**** LittleSnapper Arrives For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140111/2009/04/littlesnapper_arrives_for_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by David Chartier, Macworld

**** Navigating The Next Generation Of Mac Twitter Apps <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10219>
by Julio Ojeda-Zapata, TidBITS

A recent crop of Mac-based Twitter clients gives me reason to hope that my days of tweeting from a Web browser might, at last, be numbered. The recent releases of Tweetie, Lounge, and Nambu provide power and flexibility, along with the elegance and flair Mac users demand.

**** There's A Newspaper In My iPhone <http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/04/theres-a-newspaper-in-my-iphon.html>
by Rich Rosen, O'Reilly

While I wouldn't want to see the Times or the Journal mimicking USA Today's look-and-feel, they could learn a thing or two from some of the advanced techniques that USA Today employed, to make each of their apps a little more distinctive.

**** The State Of The Smartphone: iPhone Is Way, Way Ahead <http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/the_state_of_the_smartphone_iphone_is_way_way_ahea.php>
by Sarah Perez, Read Write Web

What the report confirms is what we've been hearing for some time now: the iPhone is king, smartphones are the new laptops, and iPhone applications can and do make money.

**** Chop Sushi For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140118/2009/04/chopsushi.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Omaha Sternberg, Macworld

Chop Sushi is a puzzle game that requires a lot of tactical thinking during play, and a large number of hours to complete.

**** Legal Copy <http://www.macjournals.com/news/2009/04/20>
by MacJournals

Here it is—complete with inconsistent grammar and punctuation.

**** Apple Rejects App For Using An Icon That Somewhat Resembles An iPhone <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/04/20/apple-rejects-another-app-for-using-an-icon-that-looks-like-an-iphone/>
by MG Siegler, TechCrunch

Developer Marco Arment submitted version 1.4 of Instapaper several days ago for approval into the App Store. He’s had several other versions approved in the past, but this one was rejected. Why? Well, he decided to use an small icon within the app that looks like it could be an iPhone.

**** Apple Needs China More Than It Does Verizon <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Apple-Needs-China-More-Than-it-Does-Verizon-661751/>
by Joe Wilcox, eWeek

For Apple's iPhone to truly be a world-class smartphone, it needs to be everywhere in the world. But the iPhone isn’t officially distributed where it needs to be most: China, the world’s largest cell phone market.

To me, personally, being in China is way overrated.

**** Why I Care About This Apple Vs. PC Business <http://www.ordinary-gentlemen.com/2009/04/why-i-care-about-this-apple-vs-pc-business/>
by The League Of Ordinary Gentlemen

It’s Apple that started this. To me, it seems like this mirrors attitudes of users as well– I don’t go to the coffee shop and talk shit to Mac users, but I’ve seen the same from the other direction.

**** Hands-On: Tweetie For Mac Shakes Up Twitterverse <http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/04/review-tweetie.html>
by Brian X. Chen, Wired

Tweetie is a beautiful, slick and intuitive app that meets and exceeds the high standards set by its mobile predecessor. We love it, and we'll go as far as to say that Tweetie will create a significant impact on Twitter as a whole.

**** 3 Mac Apps To Help You Concentrate <http://smokingapples.com/software/reviews/3-mac-apps-to-help-you-concentrate/>
by Milind Alvares, Smoking Apples

For those who want a forced environment, which will make sure your procrastinating (means twittering) days are over, here are a bunch of them that will help you out.

**** Media Express 2.0 Improves Mac Compatiblity <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/04/20/media.express.20.launched/>
by MacNN

**** FlipBook For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139563/2009/04/flipbook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chester Baker, Macworld

Animation tool makes wonderful use of iPhone’s multi-touch controls.

**** Why Apple's New Ad Campaign Is Genius, And Why Microsoft Can't Win As 'PC' <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3499>
by Andrew Nusca, ZDNet

Simply stated: Microsoft can’t win if it embodies the PC role. Big as the company is, it simply doesn’t control enough of the process to make arguments on behalf of OEMs.

**** Dissent Made Safer <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22427/>
by David Talbot, MIT Technology Review

How anonymity technology could save free speech on the internet.

**** Why Isn't The Brain Green? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/magazine/19Science-t.html?_r=1>
by Jon Gertner, New York Times

Decision scientists are trying to figure out why it’s so hard for us to get into a green mind-set. Their answers may be more crucial than any technological advance in combating environmental challenges.

**** A Magazine With A Puzzle Buried Inside <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/arts/television/21wire.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Dave Itzkoff, New York Times

For its latest issue, Wired wanted J. J. Abrams’s contributions and sensibility on every page, and devoted the entire magazine to the topic of mystery as a catalyst for imagination.

**** Mixed Reactions On Linking Foodstall Tenders With Hygiene Ratings <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/423679/1/.html>
by Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia

**** Citizens Hope For Transparency In New Public Order Law <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/423683/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

The new public order law, passed in Parliament on Monday, has generated much debate online. While some say it infringes on civil liberties, others believe this will not be the case as long as the law is exercised judiciously.

**** DBS Bank's Public Hanging <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1009.htm>
by Au Yaipang, Yawning Bread

Think about it. Her superiors must have been extremely upset to have a statement prepared in advance for just that eventuality. They must have foreseen the possibility that she would deliberately flout their instructions. What do they know about her that they have not revealed?

**** Possible Singapore, Beyond Lee Kuan Yew <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/423769/1/.html>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today

**** Malaysia's Crooked Bridge Rears Its Ugly Head Once More <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/asia_file/blog/2009/04/20/malaysias_crooked_bridge_rears_its_ugly_head_once_more>
by Ben Bland, Telegraph

Hence, the old joke about the crooked bridge being designed to represent the true nature of Malaysia-Singapore relations: Singapore is straight and Malaysia is crooked.

**** Bridge Project No Rush <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/SE%2BAsia/Story/STIStory_366344.html>
by Hazlin Hassan, Straits Times

Prime minister Najib Razak on Monday said the government was in no rush to revive an aborted 'crooked bridge' project in Johor.

**** 沙地王子:新加坡政府同意扩充莱佛士酒店 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/gj/gj090421_501.shtml>
by 联合早报

阿瓦立德王子的王国控股公司(Kingdom Holding)昨天发表文告说,莱佛士酒店将在扩充后,增加多78间客房。但文告没有透露扩充莱佛士酒店的成本预算或是工程会持续多久。

**** Crossroads Of Human Diversity <http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=8&ContentID=136998>
by The West Australian

Singapore has always been at a crossroads. A conduit for people, for culture and for goods. As an important sea route it’s had 20 centuries of exposure to Arabs, Chinese, Malay, Indians, British and other Europeans. And they’ve all left their mark.

**** 55 'Ignorant' Lawyers Let Off <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_366370.html>
by K. C. Vijayan, Straits Times

Some 55 lawyers who breached a legal requirement were spared punishment by the Attorney-General after the Law Society explained that they were 'ignorant' of the new law.

**** Playing The Blame Game In The Geylang Serai Food Poisoning: PAP's Forte In Absolving Itself From Any Blame In Screw-Ups <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7977>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

It’s high time the PAP stop playing the blame game. They should not bite the hands which feed them. We are feeding them to run the country and not spit at us to cover up for their own inepitude and uselessness.

**** 8只虎虾索价239元 纽顿海鲜摊上诉失败 吊销执照3个月 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090421_511.shtml>
by 胡洁梅, 联合早报

在“虎虾事件”中因收费过高的东陵第一站海鲜馆(Tanglin Best BBQ Seafood)被国家环境局吊销执照后,摊主为此提出上诉却失败,当局已从本月15日起,吊销摊主的营业执照3个月。

**** 航空公司临时更改航班 消协首季接获投诉激增 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090421_506.shtml>
by 李静仪, 联合早报

**** The Right To Die In Singapore <http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1831&Itemid=195>
by Ben Bland, Asia Sentinel

Singapore may have not a reputation for opening its doors to outspoken activists but in an intriguing move, next month it will host a seminar by one of the world’s most controversial speakers, Philip Nitschke, the Australian campaigner for voluntary euthanasia and assisted suicide known, like Dr Jack Kevorkian in the United States, as "Dr Death".

What makes the visit of the renowned pro-euthanasia campaigner even more surprising is the legal status of suicide in Singapore, where attempting to take your own life remains a criminal offence. Those who have slashed their wrists or taken an overdose but failed to kill themselves are routinely handcuffed to their beds when they are brought into hospital by the police. Assisting a suicide is considered an even more serious crime, with a mandatory jail term for anyone found guilty of such an offence.

**** 柔拆除旧关卡 重新开放已不可能 <http://www.zaobao.com/yx/yx090421_510.shtml>
by 联合早报

柔佛州新山新关税、移民及检疫大厦(苏丹依士干达大厦)启用四个月后,当局开始拆除具有86年历史的旧关卡。

**** Expect Small Pay Rise <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_366462.html>
by Michelle Tay, Straits Times

According to the latest survey by human resources firm Hewitt Associates, the average annual salary increment projected for 2009 is 2.1 per cent.

**** ICA To Set Up Centralized Biometrics Hub <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/423861/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) is setting up a centralised hub containing biometric data such as facial images and fingerprints of all Singaporeans, permanent residents as well as foreigners staying here.

**** StarHub's Callback Service Now Available On iPhone <http://theiphoneinsingapore.blogspot.com/2009/04/starhubs-callback-service-now-available.html>
by Jimmy Yap, The Singapore iPhone Guide

**** New Marina Downtown On Track For Completion By Year-End <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/423869/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore will see a glut of hotel and office spaces when projects at the Marina Bay Downtown come on stream in the months ahead, but developers say they are not worried.

**** Singapore To Welcome 'Dr Death' After Oxford Union Rebuff <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/asia_file/blog/2009/04/21/singapore_to_welcome_dr_death_after_oxford_union_rebuff>
by Ben Bland, Telegraph

In what must be a first, risk-averse Singapore will next month open its arms to an activist who has been deemed too controversial to speak at the Oxford Union, which likes to boast that it is "the last bastion of free speech in the Western world".

**** Pirates Ahoy! Gay Netizens And The AWARE Hijacking <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1010.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Gay equality is only problematic if you don't believe in non-discrimination and equality. If you did, it would roll off your tongue as easily as race, religion, etc.

That she tripped over this told us everything we needed to know about the direction of AWARE under the new leadership.

**** Josie Lau's Interview Leaves Questions Unanswered <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/josie-lau’s-interview-leaves-questions-unanswered/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen

If Ms Lau is keen on building a collegial working environment, why have their actions been so destructive? A New Paper opinion piece the day after the interview read: “Few straight answers in AWARE interview”. I am inclined to agree.