[MyAppleMenu] Apr 20, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 20 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Apps Ahead <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123980962988921409.html>
by Yukari Iwatani Kane, Wall Street Journal

The shackles have been taken off developers of iPhone applications. Here's what they're working on.

**** iPhone And Games <http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2009/04/iphone_and_games.html>
by Venuri Siriwardane, The Star-Ledger

If there is ever an iPhone hall of fame, Tyler Auten wants his portrait on the wall.

Chosen for his good grades and programming talent, Auten is part of an elite group of students enrolled in NJIT's iPhone app development course &mdash; among the first of its kind in the nation.

**** Four More &quot;Get A Mac&quot; Ads, No Direct &quot;Laptop Hunters&quot; Rejoinders <http://technologizer.com/2009/04/19/four-more-get-a-mac-ads-no-direct-laptop-hunters-rejoinders/>
by Harry McCracken, Technologizer

maybe ignoring “Laptop Hunters” is Apple’s way of responding to it. Apple is returning to the basic mantra that “Get a Mac” has repeated all along–that Macs deliver fewer hassles and more powerful included software than Windows PCs. The implied message is that you should be including those factors when you do the math on a computer purchase. It’s a far more reasonable point than the one that Microsoft has busily hammered away.

**** MeeHive For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140092/2009/04/meehive.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Ben Boychuk, Macworld

App tailors the news to your interests, but lacks some customization capabilities.

**** Gourmet Gathering In Singapore Defies Lean Times <http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE53J1SF20090420>
by Miral Fahmy, Reuters

Some 85 percent of tickets to events at the World Gourmet Summit (WGS), an annual fest organized by Singapore's tourism board and culinary firm Peter Knipp Holdings, have been sold so far despite the economic slowdown, which has hit luxury goods and entertainment the hardest.

**** Five Tips For Reading Apple Security Articles <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10218>
by Rich Mogull, TidBITS

As someone who spends most of his time reading, writing, and speaking about security, there are five things I tend to look for in Apple security news to cut to the heart of the story. After all the hype in recent days over the "Mac botnet," I thought it was time to share some of my skeptical tricks.

**** Can Adobe's Flash Take TV To The Next Level? <http://www.businessinsider.com/adobe-flash-tv-2009-4>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider

Adobe's Flash video and animation platform fueled the Web video boom. Can it finally bridge the TV-Internet divide in your living room?

**** Is It Fresh? <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/the_tls/article6096275.ece>
by Jon Garvie, The Times

The competing myths about fresh food that have helped to mould the contents of the Western fridge.

**** Vast Hell <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/04/27/090427fi_fiction_martinez>
by Guillermo Martínez, The New Yorker

Often, when the grocery store is empty and all you can hear is the buzzing of flies, I think of that young man whose name we never knew and whom no one in town ever mentioned again. For some reason that I can’t explain, I always imagine him as we saw him that first time: the dusty clothes, the bristling beard, and especially the long, dishevelled hair that almost covered his eyes. It was the beginning of spring, which is why, when he came into the store, I took him for a camper headed south. He bought a few cans of food and some coffee; as I added up the bill, he looked at his reflection in the window, brushed his hair off his forehead, and asked me if there was a barber in town.

**** Sketch For A Novel <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/04/27/090427po_poem_wright>
by Franz Wright, The New Yorker

**** Let The Record Show <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/04/27/090427po_poem_malech>
by Dora Malech, The New Yorker

**** Headline Art <http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/headline-art/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Stanley Fish, New York Times

I can’t hold a candle to the headline writers of the New York Post. I am not thinking only about the famously attention-grabbing headlines like “Headless Body in Topless Bar”, but of headlines that demand interpretive work of a kind usually associated with modern poetry.

**** Longing For Great Lost Works <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124001426103530947.html>
by Stephen Marche, Wall Street Journal

>From Shakespeare's 'Cardenio' to Ovid's Getic poetry, missing texts hold tantalizing possibilities.

**** Bad Ratings? Close Shop <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_365768.html>
by Judith Tan &amp; Nicholas Yong, Straits Times

Health minister Khaw Boon Wan said on Sunday that hospital stall holders which do not get the top 'A' or 'B' ratings may be told to close shop.

**** Do Librarians Really 'Educate' Errant Users? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_365704.html>
by Charissa Yvonne Yip, Straits Times

During my five-hour stay at the library, I did not see any librarians on patrol, except to put books back on the shelves.

**** Scholars As Foreign Brides <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,199439,00.html?>
by Tay Shi'an, New Paper

Like a true marriage, scholars and their organisations should meet as equals, each bringing something to the table, going in with their eyes open, willing to make compromises, and communicate.

**** 3 In 10 Scholars Polled Say They're Unhappy <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,199442,00.html?>
by Tay Shi'an and Ng Tze Yong, New Paper

Unreasonable employers or ungrateful scholars? Lack of dialogue and unrealistic expectations cited as reasons.

**** Feuding Camps Shaping Up For A Showdown <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,199431,00.html?>
by Ho Lian-yi, New Paper

Both sides are strengthening their positions by marshalling their forces before an expected extraordinary general meeting (EOGM) initiated by a group of Aware veterans.

**** Reconsider Twins' Surgery <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_365921.html>
by Judith Tan, Straits Times

Three of the four twins joined at the head who were separated in operations here are dead, and the fourth is not in good shape. Given this track record and the similarly dismal results overseas, health minister Khaw Boon Wan on Sunday suggested that doctors reconsider plans to separate yet another pair of such conjoined twins.

**** 当各国孩子看见父母亲热时 <http://eladies.sina.com.cn/x/2009/0419/2114855168.shtml>
by 三九健康网

**** NEA CEO's Open Letter: Full Of Empty Rhetoric And Short Of Substance <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7943>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club

Singaporeans do not need any more empty words and promises from the authorities. What we want to see most is accountability, justice and transparency - accountabilty in taking responsibility for one’s missteps, justice in ensuring the culprits are punished and transparency in revealing the findings of the internal inquiry to the public.

**** 网界成功背后的点点滴滴 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090420_502.shtml>
by 高极登, 联合早报

**** Where Are The Jobs? <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2009/04/where-are-jobs.html>
by Tan Kin Lian

The unemployment rate in Singapore may appear low by international standards, but it is seriously under-reported. Due to the lack of employment benefit, many people do not bother to report that they are looking for work.

**** More Unsatisfied Customers <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_365964.html>
by Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times

Consumers in Singapore said they were less happy last year than in 2007, according to a national customer-satisfaction survey.

**** The New Leadership At AWARE Has Done Great Disservice To The Organization And To All Singaporean Women <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2717>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

By taking over the helms of leadership at AWARE through the use of subversive tactics and then alienating the Old Guard, the new Exco has damaged the organization and disrupted the good work that it has been doing thus far. It has done a great disservice to AWARE and to all Singaporean women.

**** Learn From The Regrets Of The Flatulence Analyst <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2009/04/lessons-from-flatulence-analyst.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

The government may like to treat you as a digit, but you don't have to treat yourself like that. Please give your own future a little more tender loving care.

**** Singapore Embraces Barter In Recession <http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKTRE53J1AN20090420>
by Puja Bharwani, Reuters

Currently, there are two online barter exchanges -- Barter Vista and BarterXchange -- and they are attracting hundreds of people seeking innovative ways to stretch their dollars.

**** Singapore Botanic Gardens Develops Orchid Seed Bank <http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSSP153433>
by Neil Chatterjee, Reuters

Singapore's Botanic Gardens is developing an orchid seed bank and a section devoted to healing plants, as it looks to help conserve Southeast Asian species threatened by development and climate change. The seed bank, in its early stages and part of a global project, will keep alive dust-like orchid seeds by chilling them in liquid nitrogen.

**** Singapore Order Vs Malay Disorder <http://mathaba.net/news/?x=619815>
by Mathaba

Orderly efficient transport and immigration processing in Singapore contrasts sharply with the chaos on the Malaysian side of the border.

**** Singapore Doctor Still Considering Indian Twins' Operation <http://www.easybourse.com/bourse-actualite/marches/singapore-doctor-still-considering-indian-twins-operation-653667>
by AFP

A prominent Singapore doctor said Monday it was "premature" to rule out an operation to separate Indian twin sisters joined at the head despite a warning from his own country's health minister.

**** For Much Is At Stake <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/for-much-is-at-stake/>
by The Online Citizen