[MyAppleMenu] Apr 19, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 19 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Our Secret Shopper Tests The Apple Genius Bar <http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/our-secret-shopper-tests-the-apple-genius-bar-592250>
by TechRadar UK

Are the Geniuses all they're cracked up to be?

**** Apple's New Weapon <http://www.newsweek.com/id/194623>
by Benjain Sutherland, Newsweek

To help soldiers make sense of data from drones, satellites and ground sensors, the U.S. military now issues the iPod Touch.

**** We're At The Center Of The Universe - Unless We're Not <http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2009/04/19/were_at_the_center_of_the_universe___unless_were_not/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Book+reviews>
by Anthony Doerr, Boston Globe

All those galaxies, stuffed with all those stars, stuffed with how many worlds? If our sun is one in 10 sextillion, could our Earth be one in 10 sextillion as well?

Or the Earth might be one - the only one, the one.

Either way, the circumstances boggle the mind.

**** 5,000 Union Workers Axed <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_365623.html>
by Shuli Sudderuddin, Straits Times

The number of retrenched unionised workers has hit one of the highest levels in the last decade, the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) said yesterday.

**** Regressive Public Order Act Serves More Of A Political Than Security Purpose <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7695>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

The real motive behind the law is to prevent any public expression of disaffection and anger against the PAP’s governance because not only will it bring shame and disrepute to the PAP, it will also shatter the myth that it is a popular government voted into power by the people.

**** No Need For Crooked Bridge: Johor Baru MP <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/4/19/nation/20090419155636&sec=nation>
by Austin Camoens, The Star

Johor Baru Member of Parliament Datuk Shahrir Abdul Samad is against the revival of the crooked bridge project between Malaysia and Singapore, and has instead proposed that both countries work together to build a straight one.

**** Why Proper Oversight Of Police Powers Is Important <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/why-proper-oversight-of-police-powers-is-important/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

**** 新加坡经济真那么糟吗? <http://www.zaobao.com/finance/pages2/comment090419.shtml>
by 许丽卿, 联合早报

要知道新加坡经济有多糟糕,先看美国经济。与其说政府对经济预测过于悲观,不如说政府对美国经济不乐观。

**** 中国为何要向新加坡学习 <http://school.blog.ycwb.com/200941904145.html>
by 信力建的博客

一个政治上专制而在经济上取得成功的国家而言,新加坡应该是最恰当的例子。然而,这终究不过是戴着镣铐在舞蹈,跳得再好,也毕竟是例外——而且,我们可以相信:如果除掉镣铐的话,它会跳得更好。