[MyAppleMenu] Apr 4, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 4 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Multiwinia <http://www.macworld.com/article/139840/2009/04/multiwinia.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chris Holt, Macworld

I’ve seen better real time strategy games, but few with such an original look and so easy to just pop in and play. Multiwinia is light, humorous, and not particularly deep strategically, but its price and status as an independently developed game helps me justify its recommendation. The story could be better incorporated in the overall arc of the game and hopefuly future update addresses the crates. Overall, this is one of the most memorable strategy games I’ve played in a while.

**** Demo Your iPhone Without Cables <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/demo-your-iphone-without-cables.ars>
by Erica Sadun, Ars Technica

DemoGod utility lets you skip the cables and send your screen directly to a Mac. Apparently based on VNC and the venerable iPhoney utility, DemoGod displays your screen using data transmitted over WiFi. It's a great way to create demonstration videos.

**** Default Folder X 4.2 Adds OpenMeta Tags, Bugfixes <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/04/03/default.folder.x.42.ships/>
by MacNN

Version 4.2 now supports OpenMeta tags in the Spotlight and Open dialogs, and adds a new AppleScript command, ClearRecentFolders, which clears the list of recently-used folders in an active folder set.

**** The iPhone Gold Rush <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/fashion/05iphone.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1238822274-0zz7oxt86V7nC5mV/X5xNA>
by Jenna Wortham, New York Times

Is there a good way to nail down a steady income? In this economy?

Try writing a successful program for the iPhone.

**** Snow White Chomps On Poison Apple Mod <http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/03/snow-white-chomps-on-poison-apple-mod/>
by Darren Murph, Engadget

Oh sure, this MacBook Apple mod isn't nearly as functional as that secondary display one, but you just can't beat the artistic flair here.

**** When iPhone Apps Annoy <http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/03/iphone-apple-software-technology-internet-infrastructure-iphone.html>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes

Developers should stick to Apple's guidelines if they want their apps to work well on the device.

**** E-Book Market Heats Up <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123793101397630541.html#mod=rss_Books>
by Jeffrey A. Trachtenberg and Sara Silver, Wall Street Journal

Barnes & Noble Inc. has launched a free electronic-reader application for Research In Motion Ltd.'s BlackBerry as general book sales flag and the e-book market heats up.

**** Scientists Map The Brain, Gene By Gene <http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/17-04/ff_brainatlas>
by Jonah Lehrer, Wired

While conventional brain maps describe distinct anatomical areas, like the frontal lobes and the hippocampus—many of which were first outlined in the 19th century—the Allen Brain Atlas seeks to describe the cortex at the level of specific genes and individual neurons. Slices of tissue containing billions of brain cells will be analyzed to see which snippets of DNA are turned on in each cell.

**** A Traveler's Way With Words <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123751339691591383.html#mod=rss_Books>
by Jamie James, Wall Street Journal

In editorial offices these days, the term "travelogue" is shorthand for "boring," designating flowery descriptions of places that impede the narrative thrust of a piece of writing -- something to be cut. But in the late 19th century, the reading public hungered for travelogue. Steam-powered ships and the telegraph were shrinking the world quickly, but reliable photographic reproduction -- not to mention motion pictures and color printing -- was still decades away. The best instrument for capturing the newly accessible, if faraway, places of the time was still the pencil -- the reporter's notebook or the artist's sketch.

**** What Would It Look Like To Fall Into A Black Hole? <http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16885-what-would-it-look-like-to-fall-into-a-black-hole.html>
by Stephen Battersby, New Scientist

Falling into a black hole might not be good for your health, but at least the view would be fine.

**** Signs And Portents <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/books/review/Heller-t.html>
by Steven Heller, New York Times

Books on vintage New York City storefronts, advertising illustration, early photojournalism, fashion photography and Bollywood film posters.

**** The Past As Peep Show <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/books/review/Dominus-t.html>
by Susan Dominuss, New York Times

Two books examine vain efforts to keep a lid on the seamy, steamy side of New York.

**** Just One Last Swirl Around The Bowl <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/fashion/05love.html>
by Dan Barry, New York Times

A man becomes emotionally attached and plays caregiver to his daughter's dying fish.

**** The Panda Paradox <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/27/AR2009032701569.html?wprss=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
by Daniel Libit, Washington Post

With so few pandas left in the world, the pressure on the National Zoo to deliver another cub is enormous. But the mysteries of the animal's reproductive system make that quest a race against time.

**** Singapore On "Grey" List Of Tax Havens Named By OECD <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/419958/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

Being on the list means Singapore has agreed to the international tax standard, but has yet to substantially implement the measures required.

**** CEO's Bonus: Straits Times Barking Up The Wrong Tree Again <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7349>
by Jeremy Koh, The Wayang Party Club

Temasek and GIC executives need not fear anything by disclosing their salaries and bonuses. If they feel they truly deserve the renumeration received, then they should not be ashamed to reveal it.

**** Display Of IC Number A Breach Of Privacy <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_359094.html>
by Alvin Koh, Straits Times

While I understand and agree that the regulation has its benefits, I do not see why service staff have to wear something that reveals their NRIC numbers, which I believe is private information.

**** Singapore A "Blacklistee" To Be? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/toc-opinion-singapore-a-“blacklistee”-to-be/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen

Singapore laws on banking secrecy need to rethought so that a balance can be struck with our desire to cooperate with the international community’s attempts to apprehend money launderers. MOF’s less than subtle attempt to divert the international community’s attention from TIEAs by highlighting its compliance with the apparently less onerous DTAs is unfortunate.

**** Tax-Haven Blacklist Stirs Nations <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/03/AR2009040303394.html?hpid=topnews>
by Anthony Faiola and Mary Jordan, Washington Post

One day after world leaders threatened tax havens with sanctions, a host of countries on a freshly published "list of shame" scrambled to get off it even as questions surfaced over China's maneuvers to exclude Hong Kong and Macau.

**** Singapore Sends Autopsy Report To David's Family <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/04/04/singapore-sends-autopsy-report-david’s-family.html>
by Jarkarta Post

Singapore’s Nanyang Technology University (NTU) has finally sent the autopsy report of David Hartanto Widjaja, an Indonesian student who died on its campus last month, to his family.

**** Government Approves Direct Langkawi-Singapore Flights <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/4/4/nation/20090404191526&sec=nation>
by Anthony Tan, The Star

The Government has approved direct flights between Langkawi and Singapore which will take off soon.