[MyAppleMenu] Apr 3, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 3 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Cracking Down On Rogue Apps <http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216402514&subSection=News>
by Marin Perez, InformationWeek

The revised SDK forbids developers from jailbreaking the devices or creating apps that are distributed outside the App Store.

**** Yelp To Release New iPhone App <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-10210971-36.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Caroline McCarthy, CNET

**** Third-Gen iPod Shuffle Experiencing Control Issues <http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/04/02/ipod.shuffle.3g.problems/>
by iPodnn

According to support discussions, play and volume controls may malfunction when used during activities associated with sweat, such as a run or a workout.

**** Weber State University: Dual-Boot iMac Shaves Computing Costs <http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/weber/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple

Thanks to the Intel-powered iMac’s ability to run both the Windows and Mac operating systems, WSU is now enjoying a significant savings in its hardware expenditures. And students visiting the computer labs and kiosks in the Student Union building have the convenience of using two computers in one.

**** iPhone Reversi Games: A Bunch Of Losers <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/iphone_reversi_games_a_bunch_of_losers/>
by Ted Landau, The Mac Observer

Unfortunately, none of these apps are worth their cost. And I say this knowing that several of the versions cost nothing at all. To be fair, I didn't assess all the different Reversi games in the App Store; rather, I selected 4 that appeared to be representative. Perhaps I overlooked some gem. But I doubt it.

**** Older Slingboxes Incompatible With Sling iPhone App <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10210377-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Erica Ogg, CNET

Sling Media has announced that the first few models of the Slingbox won't work with new Sling software, including the much-anticipated SlingPlayer for iPhone.

**** How Apple Could Change The Face Of Digital Music <http://lowendmac.com/nash/09tn/podcast-music-guides.html>
by Tim Nash, Low End Mac

**** Microsoft Optimistic About Office Making Its Way To iPhone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/02/microsoft_optimistic_about_office_making_its_way_to_iphone.html>
by Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

Microsoft still holds aspirations of delivering a version of its leading Office suite capable of running on the iPhone but needs a bit more time to get it all sorted out.

**** Stanford iPhone Developer Course Available Free Via iTunes U <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/stanford-iphone-developer-course-available-free-via-itunes-u.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Stanford is making lecture videos and slides from its 10-week course on iPhone development available for the taking. You won't earn college credit, but it may help you on your way to being the next App Store star.

**** iPhone OS 3.0 Beta Successfully Jailbroken <http://www.macworld.com/article/139804/2009/04/iphone3_jailbroken.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Things 1.0.4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/139810/2009/04/thingsmac.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

While Things is on the expensive side, it offers a unique combination of ease of use, a great interface, and flexibility that sets it apart from other to-do managers I’ve used. And if you’re an iPhone user, right now the combination of Things for Mac and Things for iPhone is my favorite task-management system.

**** Vuzix Offers 'Works With iPhone' Cables For Video Eyewear <http://www.macworld.com/article/139813/2009/04/vuzix.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Vuzix goggles enable you to view video privately by wearing a headset that displays the image in front of your eyes.

**** Apple's Q2 '09 Financial Results To Be Discussed On April 22 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/apples-q2-09-financial-results-to-be-discussed-on-april-22.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Apple plans to announce its second fiscal quarter results on April 22, 2009. At that time, we expect the company to focus largely on how little of a hit it's taking compared to other manufacturers in this slowing economy.

**** The iPod's Alarming Options <http://www.macworld.com/article/139788/2009/04/ipodalarms.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

Most of us are accustomed to using our iPods in our waking hours—for the morning commute, afternoon workout, and ride home from work. But you needn’t restrict your iPod’s duties to the daylight. Your little portable media player can also act as a sleep and wake aid.

**** Fast Tap Camera For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139614/2009/04/fasttapcamera.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Beau Colburn, Macworld

Tap anywhere to take a photo—but be prepared for long save times.

**** Simplify Renaming Multiple Files In The Finder <http://www.macworld.com/article/139789/2009/04/renametips.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Apple - Evolutionary Or Just Reinventing The Wheel? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4093>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

My take is that Apple is in an unique and enviable position of having a user base that’s cool enough to do without certain features for as long as it takes.

**** OmniFocus, TaskPaper, And Things <http://www.atpm.com/15.04/gtd.shtml>
by Frank H. Wu, About This Particular Macintosh

For the most detail and power, chose OmniFocus; for the fastest and easiest introduction to these concepts, Things; for the best notes and the sheer elegance of it, TaskPaper. If you are disciplined, any of them will improve your life. If you are not disciplined, the programs at least will facilitate the development of good habits.

**** Why Boxee Loves Apple <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/04/02/why-boxee-loves-apple/?source=yahoo_quote>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

**** Apple Blunder Confirms Imminent Nehalem Xserve Launch <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/02/apple_blunder_confirms_imminent_nehalem_xserve_launch.html>
by AppleInsider

In what appears to be a slip-up on one of its international online stores, Apple has inadvertently revealed that it plans to announce shortly new Xserves featuring Intel Corp.'s Nehalem-based Xeon processors.

**** StoryMill Takes A Novel Approach <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/storymill_takes_a_novel_approach/>
by John Martellaro, The Mac Observer

StoryMill is a writer's tool that provides organization and composition support for writing a novel. It exploits the strengths of a computer, especially in the context of Mac OS X and a Cocoa application, to assist the novelist with scenes, timelines, characters, locations and some tactical assistance such as cliché detection.

**** Hal, Call Your Office: Computers That Act Like Physicists <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/science/07robot.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Kenneth Chang, New York Times

Theoretical physicists are not yet obsolete, but scientists have taken a couple of steps toward replacing themselves.

**** Digg Launches Pervasive, Software-Free Toolbar <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10207580-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Josh Lowensohn, CNET

**** Palm's Effort To Woo Developers <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7975834.stm>
by Maggie Shiels, BBC News

Smarthphone maker Palm is pitching its new software development kit (SDK) for its next-gen operating system, WebOS.

**** May The Force Be With Them <http://www.slate.com/id/2215160/?from=rss>
by Emily Bazelon, Slate

Why does Star Wars still take over the minds of small boys?

**** First As A Child, Then As A Parent: Life's College Tours <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/travel/escapes/03Rituals.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Jan Benzel, New York Times

For many families with 16- and 17-year-olds, the Grand Tour doesn’t mean Europe. It’s New England in mud season, the South as the cherry trees begin to bloom, California, Chicago, Ohio — the architecture may well be Gothic, but the do-it-yourself waffle maker in the cafeteria is among the artifacts most keenly examined on the road trip to college. If it’s Tuesday, we must be in North Carolina. Or is it Ohio?

**** Spoiled: Organic And Local Is So 2008 <http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2009/02/spoiled-organic-and-local-so-2008>
by Paul Roberts, Mother Jones

Our industrial food system is rotten to the core. Heirloom arugula won't save us. Here's what will.

**** Touring Singapore's Gastronomical Heritage <http://www.time.com/time/travel/article/0,31542,1888998,00.html>
by Neel Chowdhury, Time

The irony is both sad and delicious. The Little Nyonya, a Singaporean television serial about a Chinese Peranakan family that concluded in the middle of January, was told entirely in Mandarin, a language whose creeping bid for dominance in Singapore has lately eclipsed Baba Malay — the pidgin Malay at the heart of Peranakan culture. But in a sly act of revenge, the immensely popular serial triggered a boomlet in all things Peranakan.

**** SBS Explains Delay In Aiding Crash Victim <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_357967.html>
by Tammy Tan, SBS Transit, Straits Times

Let me explain why we have not been able to do so despite trying for the last few days to get more information about the person who was involved in the accident with our bus.

**** Senseless Prank No Laughing Matter <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_357900.html>
by Cindy Lim, Straits Times

**** New Team Formed To Battle Crime At Integrated Resorts <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,197683,00.html?>
by New Paper

For the past two years, the CPIB has been preparing for a new industry that will offer a different sort of challenge in its battle against corruption - the integrated resorts (IRs).

**** Relief Loan Is Similar To Early Withdrawal From CPF <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2009/04/relief-loan-is-similar-to-early.html>
by Tan Kin Lian

My proposal is intended to protect the integrity of the CPF as a saving plan for retirement.

**** Solito's New Film Banned In Singapore <http://www.tempo.com.ph/news.php?aid=46300>
by Ricky Calderon, Tempo

**** A Top-Ranking I Am Not Proud Of <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2009/04/top-ranking-i-am-not-proud-of.html>
by Huang Shoou Chyuan, NoFearSingapore

I am still convinced that to say that only if Singapore’s political office-holders are paid astronomical salaries, could we have a non-corrupt and clean government is a false dichotomy and an insult to each and every Singaporean’s intelligence. The words "altruism" and "self-sacrifice" are obviously alien to the PAP and not present in their vocabulary!

**** Taxi Fare From JB To Singapore Is RM5 More <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/4/3/nation/3619192&sec=nation>
by The Star

Johor Baru-Singapore Taxi Federation acting chairman Ahmad Osman said the Commercial Vehicles Licensing Board approved the increase last week.

**** Government's Continued Silence On CDC Bonuses Is Fasting Eroding Public Trust And Confidence In Its Governance <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7357>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club

On the whole, Singaporeans do not begrudge civil servants receiving a pay and bonus which is commensurate with their peformance. What we ask for is simply for the respective organizations to keep us informed on how they utilize public funds. Is this too much to ask for?

**** Singapore Zoo's Baby malayan Tapir Brings Its Tapir To eight <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2009/04/malayan-tapir-singapore-zoo.html>
by Los Angeles Times

Victoria, a one-month-old Malayan tapir, is the most recent addition to the Singapore Zoo's Malayan tapir population (her birth brings the total to eight).

**** Singapore Aims To Be Top Arbitration Centre <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=401209>
by Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama

Singapore is steadfast in turning the city-state into one of the leading arbitration centres in Asia and in the world, the government says.

Law minister K Shanmugam said Singapore's judicial philosophy facilitated arbitration in the city-state, and the judiciary had through case law, made clear that it would support the arbitral process and would not interfere with it.

**** Travel Agents' Boycott Hits Singapore Airlines <http://www.mydigitalfc.com/companies/travel-agents’-boycott-hits-singapore-airlines-842>
by Parul Chhaparia, Financial Chronicle

The tussle between Singapore Airlines and travel agents on the issue of commission has cost Rs 500 crore to the largest foreign airline operating from India. According to the Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI), the airline has lost Rs 500 crore in the past 94 days since travel agents decided to boycott it after a zero-commission regime was proposed.

**** No Ships Laid Up In Singapore <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_357911.html>
by Robin Chan, Straits Times

There are no ships laying idle in Singapore waters despite a global trade collapse that has left a record 485 'unemployed' vessels around the world. The assurance came from the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) on Thursday, in response to questions over whether local ports may be unsafe due to a large number of empty ships clogging the waterways.

**** Singapore March PMI Up, But Manufacturing Contracts <http://www.lse.co.uk/MacroEconomicNews.asp?ArticleCode=9mfd9lx2h5soe43&ArticleHeadline=singapore_march_pmi_up_but_manufacturing_contracts>
by Reuters

Singapore's purchasing managers' index, a leading indicator for manufacturing, edged up in March from the previous month, but the overall index shows the industry continued to contract for the seventh consecutive month.

**** 报失学生车资卡的困惑 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090403_508.shtml>
by 钟庆兴, 联合早报

我想知道的是:学生车资卡真需那么高费用来进行特别制作的话,为何连简单的暂时停用功能都办不到呢?这样的收费合理吗?

**** Philip, Your Dad Just Slapped Me <http://civicadvocator.net/philip-your-dad-just-slapped-me/>
by Civil Advocator

I believe that you father’s book deserved to be read by Singaporeans. I’d like to tell you that there is Internet which can make it very easy for people to get your dad’s book. Just a couple of mouse click and the entire book goes to your PC in the form of a PDF file. I hope someone could approach the publisher of your dad’s book, to check if such an electronic version of the book could be made available, for people to download.

**** 市场人士:今后要进行集体出售可难了 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090403_502.shtml>
by 联合早报

市场人士指出,浩然大厦案件判决意味今后要进行集体出售更为艰难,销售委员会和分层地契局的职责将加重。

**** 妈妈娘惹菜 成就李光耀(寻找娘惹踪迹新加坡篇) <http://www.kwongwah.com.my/supplement/2009/04/03/5.html>
by 陈赛芳, 光华日报

享誉国际政坛盛誉的新加坡内阁资政李光耀,也是娘惹的后代,其母亲是个名副其实的娘惹。深受娘惹文化熏陶的李夫人,曾出版过娘惹食谱,至今仍在售卖当中。

**** 朱立伦称新加坡可扮演两岸合作关键角色 <http://www.chinanews.com.cn/tw/twyw/news/2009/04-03/1631045.shtml>
by 中国新闻网

**** SIA, Emirates Lose Australia Appeal In Cartel Case <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSSYU00629020090403>
by Mark Bendeich, Reuters

An Australian court has dismissed attempts by Singapore Airlines and Emirates to prevent the Australian competition watchdog from demanding documents in relation to a price-fixing probe, the watchdog said on Friday.

**** Young PAP v2.009 <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/311647.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today

Having made forays into Facebook and online multimedia, the ruling party is now taking the cyber-battle for hearts and minds up another notch. Its youth wing is set to launch an offensive in the weeks ahead, with a revamped website that could feature a more prominent no-holds-barred forum, lively rebuttals by party activists to online chatter, and provocative essays by external writers.

**** Leave Orchard Road As It Is <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/311616.asp>
by Tabitha Wang, Today

For once in our life, can't we let go of the reins for a bit and let things develop organically? As long as the pedlars don't tout or set up stalls that are a safety hazard, what's the harm in letting them try to make some business in these difficult times?

**** Survey Shows Death Attitudes In Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/419858/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Being a burden to one's family, medical cost and pain &mdash; these are Singaporeans' top three fears about death, as revealed in a first ever survey on death attitudes in Singapore.

**** The Top 30 Highest Paid Politicans In The World <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2009/04/top-30-highest-paid-politicians-in.html>
by My Singapore News

**** StarHub To Be Operating Company For Singapore's New Broadband Network <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/419908/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Telecommunications service provider StarHub has won the bid to operate Singapore's Next Generation National Broadband Network.

**** Botanic Gardens Turns 150 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_358949.html>
by Straits Times

The Singapore Botanic Gardens marks a century and a half of lush foliage and brilliant flowers this year. On Friday, the Grande Dame opened a year-long series of festivities with a live video conference with the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, England.

**** StarHub Wins Opco Deal In Singapore's NBN <http://www.techgoondu.com/2009/04/03/commentary-starhub-wins-opco-deal-in-singapores-nbn/>
by Alfred Siew, Techgoondu

It’s been known for years that telco firms are morphing into media companies. So, why aren’t the rules clearer to allow for the right kind of competition that brings better value to people? Without rules to curb cross-bundling, the NGNBN will only solve one part of the problem - and be bogged down by another.

**** Unemployed PMETs Situation: Bad To Worse... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/04/unemployed-pmets-situation-bad-to-worse.html>
by Diary Of A Singaproean Mind

The PAP continues to insist that its economic model is the best for ordinary Singaporeans but ordinary Singaporeans are beginning to ask : What's in it for us?

**** Singapore Leaders Congratulate Najib <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=401529>
by Bernama

Malaysia's new prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has received congratulatory messages from Singapore leaders who expressed confidence that ties between both countries would be further enhanced. Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said he was confident that Malaysia would continue to prosper under Najib's stewardship, saying that he look forward to working closely with the new prime minister to further enhance "our warm relations and mutual cooperation".