[MyAppleMenu] Sep 11, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 11 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Ten iTunes Tips That Even Steve Jobs Might Not Know Of <http://smokingapples.com/software/tips/itunes-tips/>
by Milind Alvares, Smoking Apples
Here are a bunch of random tips that should help you navigate better through this ever-growing application.

**** iPod Nano And iPod Touch Take-Apart Results In A Shocking Discovery! <http://www.macuser.com/ipod/ipod_nano_and_ipod_touch_takea.php?lsrc=murss>
by Aayush Arya, MacUser
It turns out that there's a Bluetooth chip inside the iPod touch. Tunrs out that the Bluetooth chip in question is there for a reason, and a well advertised one at that&mdash;Nike+iPod.

**** Apple's iPhone Debut Delayed Indefinitely <http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2008/09/129_30830.html>
by Kim Tong-hyung, Korea Times
With state regulators slow to lift the software requirements that prevented foreign handset makers from gaining ground here, Koreans aren't likely to get a taste of the iPhone craze at least until next year.

**** iTunes 8 Disrupts PwnageTool Jailbreaking <http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/09/11/itunes.8.breaks.pwnagetool/>
by iPodNN
Apple has taken steps in iTunes 8 to prevent people from jailbreaking iPhones and iPod touches, claims the unofficial iPhone Dev Team.

**** Revolution 3.0 Development Software Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/135495/2008/09/revolution.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Will The Carriers Kill The iPhone? <http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bottom-line/archives/2008/09/will_the_carrie.html>
by Bill Snyder, InfoWorld
Developers are cranking out cool app after cool app for Apple's iPhone 3G and other smartphones. But if bandwidth stays skimpy, no one will care.

**** iTunes 'Genius' Is Half-Savant, But Here's What We Really Need... <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13908_3-10038935-59.html>
by Graham Webster, CNET News.com
It's a monumental pain to handle a library larger than can fit on one's laptop drive.

**** The iPod Touch Has Got Game <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330174,00.asp>
by Dan Costa, PC Magazine
Since the invention of its App store, Apple is offering more games, making them easier to download, and, frankly, providing a better gaming experience, thanks largley to that touch screen and accelerometer.
/Frankly, after Wii came out from nowhere and beat PS3 and Xbox, I don't think Nintendo and Sony (and even Microsoft) will be sleeping and miss out on this potential threat from the fruit company./

**** Macnifying OS X: Learning To Utilize Actiivty Monitor <http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macnifying-os-x-learning-to-utilize-activity-monitor/>
by Jackson Chung, MakeUseOf.com
One of the first things I do every time I get my hands on a brand new Mac is to add Activity Monitor to the Dock.

**** U Scream, I Scream: We All Scream When iTunes 8 Goes UI Crazy <http://www.macuser.com/software/u_scream_i_scream_we_all_screa.php?lsrc=murss>
by Dan Moren, MacUser
That's why Apple has standard UI widgets, so idiots like me don't spend several minutes searching around iTunes 8's interface trying to figure out /how to make the Genius sidebar disappear/.

**** Apple iPod Touch (2Nd Generation) <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330095,00.asp?sr=hotnews>
by Tim Gideon, PC Magazine
The iPod touch remains the best portable media player on the market, period.

**** A Better Alternative To iTunes' Genius Suggestion Engine: Tangerine! <http://cultofmac.com/a-nifty-altenative-to-itunes-genius-suggestion-engine-tangerine/2739>
by Dean Putney, Cult Of Mac
Tangerine! figures out what songs go well together by actually listening to the song itself.

**** Apple iPod Nano (4Th Generation) <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330093,00.asp?sr=hotnews>
by Tim Gideon, PC Magazine
The iPod nano 4G represents a clear improvement in both form and function.

**** Apple Makes Good On Green Promises <http://cultofmac.com/apple-makes-good-on-green-promises/2741>
by Lonnie Lazar, Cult Of Mac
The new line of iPods announced yesterday are all free of terribly toxic chemicals such as PVC, BFRs, mercury and use arsenic-free glass.

**** Notes And Observations Regarding Yesterday's 'Let's Rock' Apple Special Event <http://daringfireball.net/2008/09/lets_rock_special_event>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The overall takeaway from yesterday's news is that Apple's music and iPod business is right on track. There was nothing exceptional or particularly surprising, but the incremental improvements and changes were significant. A solid year's worth of progress.

**** An Inside Look At Apple's Sneaky iTunes 8 Upgrade <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=536>
by Ed Bott, ZDNet.com
Once again, Apple is using its automatic update process to deliver massive amounts of new software to users, including a device driver that has a long and checkered history of causing the Blue Screen of Death to appear.

**** Hands-On: iTunes 8 Rethinks Features And Rocks New Ones <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/10/hands-on-itunes-8-rethinks-features-and-rocks-new-ones>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica
While iTunes 8 didn't bring everything we would have liked to see, the major new Genius and Grid features, along with a healthy variety of not just polish but actual retinking, makes this a solid update for Apple's media management software and store.

**** Jobs And Co. Settle Pool Of Backdating Lawsuits For $14 Million <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/10/jobsco_settle_pool_of_backdating_lawsuits_for_14_million.html>
by Sam Oliver, AppleInsider
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, along with members of his current and former management team, have agreed to a settlement that will bring closure to nearly 20 investor derivative lawsuits over backdated stock options.

**** What Happened To The Ever Changing iTunes Note Color? <http://www.macuser.com/itunes/what_happened_to_the_ever_chan.php?lsrc=murss>
by Derik DeLong, MacUser
I may be the only one that feels this way, but iTunes should get an icon makeover with every major version, even if just a color shift.

**** You Spin Me Right Round, Apple <http://cultofmac.com/you-spin-me-right-round-apple/2738>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac
Put simply, are we, as writers and commentators on Apple and its output, being too hard on Steve and co.?

**** First Look: Fourth-Generation iPod Nano <http://www.macworld.com/article/135486/2008/09/4gipodnanofirstlook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
Overall, the new iPod nano looks like a solid upgrade in most areas, despite slightly-shorter video-watching battery life (and, to some of us, a step backwards in shape).

**** New iPods Exclused From Apple Back To School Promo <http://www.macworld.com/article/135488/2008/09/ipodschool.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** First Look: iPod Touch <http://www.macworld.com/article/135484/2008/09/ipodtouchfirstlook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
The speaker is regrettably nothing like the iPhone's speaker. I attempeted to watch Chinatown while listening to the audio only through the iPod touch's built-in speaker and I had a difficult time discerning the dialog even with the volume turned all the way up.

**** First Look: iTunes 8.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135463/2008/09/itunes8firstlook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
The new Genius feature worked well at both helping me find things in my library I hadn't listened to lately, as well as new music from groups I otherwise may never have found. The new visualizer is stunning, and the performance improvements with large libraries will be welcomed by many.

**** iTunes 8 Generating Problems With AirPort Express? <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/09/10/itunes.8..airport.express/>
by MacNN
Accounts mention the software displaying error codes when trying to use the AirTunes option, used to stream music wirelessly to remote speakers.

**** Could Life Evolve On The Internet? <http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/could-life-evol.html>
by Brandon Keim, Wired
If princples of life are universal, could life emerge on the internet?

**** Startup Conferences Showcase Tech's Dilemma <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/dueling-startup-conferences-showcase-techs/story.aspx?guid={5B418835-C66D-4F95-AEB4-FD14DA53BF21}>
by Therese Poletti, MarketWatch

**** Memo From Demo: Six Startups Worth Watching <http://weblog.infoworld.com/robertxcringely/archives/2008/09/memo_from_demo.html>
by Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld
Contrary to popular opinion, all the cool new stuff doesn't come from Apple or Google.

**** Rumors About Me <http://www.all-story.com/issues.cgi?action=show_story&story_id=386>
by Yasutaka Tsutsui, translated by Andrew Driver, Zoetrope

**** Five Stories <http://jacketmagazine.com/35/henning5stories.shtml>
by Barbara Henning, Jacket

**** On Foreign Worker Dormitories... <http://www.nowhere.per.sg/?p=1067>
by Extreme Prejudice
By allowing such large number of foreigners to be at one single place, I must ask, if our government trust foreigners more than they trust us?

**** Traffic Diversion Scheme To Ease Congestion At Woodlands Checkpoint <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/375268/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
A three-month trial traffic diversion scheme will be imlemented from September 15 to help ease the traffic congestion problem at Woodlands Checkpoint.

**** My Maiden Speech At Hong Lim Park <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-maiden-speech-at-hong-lim-park.html>
by Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

**** Foreign Workers Prefer To Stay Away From Residential Estates <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/375245/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia
The idea of a self-contained township for foreign workers has been given a thumbs-up by foreign workers themselves.
But foreign worker advocates said more should be done to help these workers integrae with the wider community.
/Nothing in this article substantiates the first paragraph and the headline of this report./

**** Overtaking Indonesians, Malaysians Top Home Buyers In Singapore <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2008/9/11/overtaking-indonesians-malaysians-top-home-buyers-in-singapore/>
by Antara News
Malaysians overtook Indonesians as the top foreign buyers of private homes in Singapore in the second quarter, a property consultancy said Thursday.

**** Are We An Elitist Society? <http://figing.blogspot.com/2008/09/are-we-elitist-society-coming-off.html>
by Figuratively Speaking
As I read others' comments and reasons for not wanting the dorm built in Serangoon Gardens, I feel ashamed that I once harbored such unfair thoughts about them.

**** Oh No, The Condo People Are Coming <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,176214,00.html?>
by S. Murali, New Paper
I plan to start a petition in my neighbourhood soon. It is to stop the building of a huge condominium in my estate at Bishan Street 22.

**** Not A Winning Formula For Some <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/275228.asp>
by Jessica Yeo, Today
It is not what some retailers in the Marina Bay area are hoping to hear, but their concern that regular diners and shoppers will stay away during the F1 event is looking a distinct possibility.

**** A Lawyer Does Not Act On His Accord <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/275219.asp>
by Michael Hwang, The Law Society Of Singapore, Today
Under the Legal Profession (Professional Conduct) Rules, a lawyer is under the duty to defend any person on whose behalf he is instructed on a criminal charge irrespective of any opinion which he may have formed as to the guilt or innocence of that person.
With reference to Mr Rajaratnam's statement in paragraph three of his letter that "Lawyers should also be legally bound to pay costs to an innocent accused person", he may wish to note that a large majority of criminal prosecution in Singapore is carried out by the State and the minister has stated that the government is not presently considering the payment of compensation to accused persons who were acquitted after a trial.

**** MM Lee Says SWFs Should Not Be Lumped As A Single Entity <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/375037/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew has warned against lumping sovereign wealth funds together as a single entity, as each fund is set up with different motivations and objectives.

**** Health Minister Says Singapore's Healthcare Budget WIll Have To Go Up <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/375021/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
Health minister Khaw Boon Wan has said that Singapore's budget on healthcare will have to increase. But individuals must also be prepared to foot the bill if they want better care.

**** PTW: Union Leader And MP And Also Board Member Of Transport Company? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/09/ptw-union-leader-and-mp-and-also-board-member-of-transport-company/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen
Can an MP represent or protect the interests of his or her constituents (who are consumers of services) if he or she is also a board member of the companies which are providing such services? What if he or she is, at the same time, also a union leader, representing the interests of workers?

**** One Nation Under Lee Seizure To Be Raised At UN Meeting <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/1027-one-nation-under-lee-seizure-to-be-raised-at-un-meeting>
by Singapore Democratic Party

**** Police: Stop Justifying The Unjustifiable <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/09/police-stop-justifying-unjustifiable.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
Why are the police doing the job of the public relations manager of the PCF?