[MyAppleMenu] Sep 10, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 10 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Five Things I Love About OS X <http://www.crookedmoon.org/2008/09/5-things-i-love-about-os-x.html>
by Crooked Moon
Frameworks and integrations that are system wide and actually works (Yes Microsoft, I'm looking at you.)

**** Next On Apple's Agenda: Video Game Supremacy <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080910.RAPPLE10/TPStory/Business>
by Mat Hartley, Globe And Mail
While the attention was focused on the latest gizmos and TV content, Apple's chief executive may have shown his hand for the company's next big thing: video games.

**** iTunes 8 And Large Libraries: Faster, Much Faster <http://www.mcelhearn.com/article.php?story=20080910091143303>
by Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** How The iPod Nano 4G Speaks <http://www.lioncourt.com/2008/09/09/how-the-ipod-nano-4g-speaks/>
by The Mac-cessibility Site
iTunes taps into your Mac or PC's processing power to generate tiny audio files for the various menus, artists, album, song titles, in your library. When you sync, that information is sent to your iPod nano 4G.

**** Get Leopard And Windows To Play Nice <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9113540&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
Mac OS X and Windows machines don't get along, right? Wrong. Try out tips for cross-platform happiness on your network.

**** Living With A MacBook Air <http://outsourcinginnovation.blogspot.com/2008/09/living-with-macbook-air.html>
by Matt Hately, Outsourcing Innovation
I finally did it. After years of making fun of Macs, I am now a Mac owner and a member of the fully converted.

**** Bonjour For Windows 1.0.5 Patches Two DNS Vulnerabilities <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10037008-83.html>
by Robert Vamosi, CNET News.com

**** iPhone Apps A Major Trend At DemoFall <http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-10036830-12.html>
by Daniel Terdiman, CNET Download Blog

**** One Reason Why OS X Is Better Than Vista And Linux <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20565/53/>
by Davey Winder, iTWire
That reason is simple usability. A single word that encompasses everything about the Apple approach to an Operating System.

**** Shocker! Steve Jobs Blames It All On Hedge Funds <http://executivesuite.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/09/shocker-steve-jobs-blames-it-all-on-hedge-funds/?hp>
by Joe Nocera, New York Times
To the ranks of chief executives who blame those terrible meanies who run hedge funds for their troubles, we can now add a new name: the one and only Steve Jobs. According to Jim Goldman, who interviewed Mr Jobs today on CNBC after his latest razzle-dazzle product announcement, the Apple chief executive said the rumors that he had suffered a recurrence of cancer came from "hedge funds with a big short position in Apple."

**** iTunes 8 <http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/2008/09/itunes_8_1>
by Sven-S. Prost, Quarter Life Crisis
The things I noticed were those which - just like in previous iTunes updates - look like ad-hoc UI changes that could have done with more care.

**** Analysis: Putting Apple's Musical Moves Into Perspective <http://www.macworld.com/article/135457/2008/09/eventanalysis.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
While Apple didn't unveil anything radical Tuesday, analysts said it would be a mistake to dismiss the releases as no big deal.

**** iTunes Crashes Music Recommendation Party; Rivals Rejoice <http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/steve-jobs-anno.html>
by Eliot Van Buskirk, Wired
While Genius is no big deal, its smooth, easily accessible nature will likely cause at least a minor uptick in music sales through the service.

**** Apple Event: A Few Extra Details You Didn't Get <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/09/apple-event-a-few-extra-details-you-didnt-get>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
The new iPod nanos now have a feature that speaks every menu and song info, which is especially nice for those who are hard of sight.

**** Music To No-One's Ears: When An Apple Event Really Doesn't Rock <http://cultofmac.com/music-to-no-ones-ears-when-an-apple-event-really-doesnt-rock/2729>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac
This time Apple was the one telling us we were going to see something big, when all we got were skinny things we already knew about anyway.

**** First Impressions: BBEdit 9 Versus Coda 1.5 <http://cultofmac.com/first-impressions-bbedit-9-versus-coda-15/2724>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac
I'd rather like someone ot smush these two apps together.

**** The iPod Classic's Final Act <http://www.macworld.com/article/135456/2008/09/ipodclassic.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
The end of the road is in sight for the venerable iPod classic. Meriting barely a passing mention during Apple's "Let's Rock" press event on Tuesday, the device is now available in only a single 120GB model for $249.

**** Apple Updates QuickTime, Front Row For iTunes 8 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135455/2008/09/quicktimefrontrow.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Apple Promises Fewer Dropped Calls With iPhone 2.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135454/2008/09/iphone21.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
iPhone 2.1 software is expected to be released on Friday, Sept 12, 2008.

**** New-Look iPod Touch And iPhone 2.1 "Bug Fix" Announced <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=22731>
by Mark Hattersley, Macworld UK
The new iPod touch incorporates the side controls from the iPhone so you cna adjust the volume without using the touch-screen. Like the iPhone, it now also sports a built-in speaker. Steve Jobs - a known music fan - joked that "it's for casual listening; it's not for audiophiles."

**** App Store Downloads Top 100 Million, Games A Centerpiece <http://www.macworld.com/article/135453/2008/09/appstore.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Jobs said that there are now more than 700 games available from the App Store. The abundance of games make the iPod touch "the funnest iPod ever," said Jobs.

**** New-Look Nano Highlights Apple's iPod Changes <http://www.macworld.com/article/135452/2008/09/ipodupdates.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
The new iPod nano, introduced by Apple CEO Steve Jobs during a press briefing in San Francisco Tuesday, is touted as the thinnest iPod ever built and features a taller form factor with a larger screen than the previous nano.

**** Apple Releases iTunes 8, Welcomes NBC Back To Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/135451/2008/09/itunes8.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen and Philip Michaels, Macworld
The new version of iTunes available for download Tuesday contains new browsing options and accessibility enhancements. But the major new addition is Genius, a feature that creates playlists from songs in your music library "that go great together, with just one click," Jobs said.

**** Why Go To WWDC When You Can Go To C4? <http://www.macworld.com/article/135438/2008/09/c4_three.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
It's hard to use mere words to convey just how much fun the C4 conference is. For one thing, it kind of presuppose that your idea of fun is being crammed into the windowless basement of a hotel along with over 150 other Mac nerds. Let's be honest: you've probably got places you'd rather be. But just in case you missed out, let me tell you what, exactly, you /could/ have been doing with your past weekend.

**** Bean 1.3.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135436/2008/09/bean.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
For most people, it's a good middle ground betwen TextEdit and something like Pages or Word.

**** Review: NetNewsWire 3.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135359/2008/09/netnewswire3.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
NetNewsWire 3.1.7 is a stellar example of a newsreader done right, offering a huge number of features and options while remaining simple to set up and use.

**** History Of The Browser User-Agent String <http://www.webaim.org/blog/user-agent-string-history/>
by Aaron Andersen, WebAIM
Everyone pretended to be everyone else.

**** Why Mozilla Is Committed To Gecko As WebKit Popularity Grows <http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/mozilla-committed-to-gecko.ars>
by Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

**** Old Web Idea Finally Finds A Home <http://www.startribune.com/science/28005224.html?elr=KArksD:aDyaEP:kD:aU2EkP7K_t:aDyaEP:kD:aUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU>
by Barbara Ortutay, Associated Press
Game companies expect micropayments to make virtual fortunes.

**** The Senior-Citizen Cookbook <http://www.slate.com/id/2199677/?from=rss>
by Sara Dickerman, Slate
How your food needs will change as you get older.

**** For Better, For Worse, For Richer, For Pasta <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/dining/10hazan.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin>
by Kim Severson, New York Times
Marcella Hazan's husband, Victor, who has written every word of English in her cookbooks, has created the ultimate translation: her memoir, written by him in her voice.

**** Concerns Beyond Just Where The Wild Things Are <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/arts/design/10sendak.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Patricia Cohen, New York Times
Maurice Sendak on the death of his longtime partner, his recent triple-bypass, and the celebration of his 80th birthday at the 92nd Street Y.

**** Why Real Estate Won't Go Bust, And Other Book-Title Bloopers <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122101220299417945.html?mod=rss_Books>
by Louise Radnofsky, Wall Street Journal
A financial crisis, a historic presidential campaign and a series of political scandals have scrambled how people understand the world in the past few years.
For some authors, that presents a ticklish problem.

**** The Glass Stampede <http://nymag.com/arts/architecture/features/49959/>
by Justin Davidson, New York Magazine
As this last great building boom winds down, our architecture critic asks: Does the new see-through city look better or worse than the one it replaced?

**** Origin Of The Specious <http://newhumanist.org.uk/1856>
by AC Grayling, New Humanist
Decreaing religious hegemony and rapidly increasing scientific and technological knowledge have gone pari passu during the last four centuries, in mutually reinforcing tandem: the less religion, the more science; the more science, the less religion. And this is a universal phenomenon.

**** Townships For Foreign Workers Could House Up To 20,000 Under One Roof <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/374983/1/.html>
by Imlda Saad, Channel NewsAsia
The concept of foreign worker townships is new in Singapore but self-contained dormitories had sprung up, like one at Penjuru Place in the Western part of Singapore, which houses 6,000 foreign workers.

**** What Do You Mean We Don't Have A Masterplan? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/1020-what-do-you-mean-we-dont-have-a-masterplan>
by Singapore Democratic Party
You mean that all this time the government didn't have a plan or "some idea" of how many foreign workers this island can hold?
Not only is the admission shocking, it is also a wake up call to Singaporeans. We don't question, much less oppose, the government's policies and assume that everything it does is in order. Until things are too late, that is.

**** Dear Political Correspondents, Why Take The Moral High Ground On Serangoon Gardens? <http://toadjuice.com/2008/09/09/dear-political-correspondence-why-take-the-moral-high-ground-on-serangoon-gardens/>
by Toadjuice
1,500 people who are foreign and different. Suddenly living next door to you. Can anyone honestly tell me that they are comfortable with that? I am not. But hey, it's not my fault.

**** Who Decides Whose Dreams Are More Important? <http://mattemma.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/who-decides-whose-dreams-are-more-important/>
by Memories Of Mattemma
All they really care about is their own wealth and issues?

**** Singapore Says US Should Avoid 'Xenophobic' Response <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/09/09/afx5404957.html>
by Thomson Financial
Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said Tuesday the United States should treat investments from sovereign wealth funds objectively and avoid a 'paranoid xenophobic' response.

**** PTW: From Third World To First <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/09/ptw-from-third-world-to-first/>
by Tan Kin Lian, The Online Citizen
The current approach of "leaving it to the market" does not seem to produce good results.
/One reason is because the other side of the equation, the location of residential houses and office / factory buildings is not done via "leaving it to the market."/

**** Holland V Valets Not Leaving <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_277042.html>
by Sumathi V. Selvaretnam, Straits Times
The valets at Holland Village have been operating without a licence for more than a year now, the housing board has said, and yesterday, they continued flouting the rules despite the presence of wardens who warned them to stop.
/I'm not sure what rights does the HDB (or the government) have the allow them to be able to ban valet parking. The only justification I see in this article is an act that made it "illegal for anyone to conduct a business in HDB carparks," which, to me, simply means that the valet business can just continue to operate outside of HDB carparks. Surely it's not illegal to accept payments to drive and park a car in HDB carparks?/

**** Why A Jail Term Shouldn't Have Been Sought <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_276964.html>
by Lee Wei Ling, Straits Times
The prosecution had the discretion to decide what charges Mr Tang should face. Neither the principle of equality before the law nor any other principle required the prosecution to abdicate its duty to exercise its discretion.

**** MM: System Has To Evolve <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_277036.html>
by Lee Siew Hua, Straits Times
Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew, who is turning 85, says he will fortify Singapore's future as long as he can. In that light, he spoke of two imperatives: Singapore's political system must evolve. And the country must stand up to external stresses.

**** NTU Placing Research Above Teaching? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,176123,00.html?>
by Liew Hanqing, New Paper
In the short term at least, the loss of teaching faculty could put students at a significant disadvantage.

**** Passenger Service Charge At Changi To Go Up By $5 <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/275053.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today

>From Jan 1, the Passenger Service Charge will go up from $15 to $20 at Terminals 1, 2 and 3. The Passenger Security Service Charge at the Budget Terminal and Seletar Airport will be raised by $2 to $8.

**** If Double Standards Can Apply To Gays, What About To Hota? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/275027.asp>
by Tan Yen Ling, Today
As it now stands, men who have same-sex sexual relations are committing a crime but are "above the law" as they will not be prosecuted &mdash; as assured by the authorities.

**** SDP's Policy Paper On Land Transport <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=620>
by Sgpolitics.net

**** Cycling Around The Point <http://melvintansg.blogspot.com/2008/09/cycling-around-point.html>
by Melvin Tan, A Blog @ Singapore