[MyAppleMenu] Sep 12, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 12 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Apple Rolls Back Problem Driver In New iTunes 8 Update <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=543>
by Ed Bott, ZDNet.com
Apple has responded quickly to reports that its initial release of iTunes 8 caused STOP errors (AKA the Blue Screen of Death) on some Windows machines. From the evidence, it's pretty clear that Apple ditched its new driver code and simply rolled back to the older version.

**** Apple Improves Security In iPhone 2.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135517/2008/09/iphone21security.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Among the many improvements to the iPhone with the 2.1 software update posted on Friday are changes meant to enhance security on the device.

**** Pure Genius: How Apple Is Killing Windows Vista With iTunes 8 <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20613/53/>
by Davey Winder, iTWire
Apple will be able to say that Windows Vista is unstable and still crashes with that Blue Screen of Death in its next advertising campaign. Genius!

**** Review: Freeway 5 Pro <http://www.macworld.com/article/135221/2008/09/freewaypro5.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Deborah Shadovitz, Macworld
Freeway 5 Pro (version 5.2) is a good choice for professional designers who do not want to learn HTML and CSS.

**** It's Time For Some Apple TV Updates <http://blogs.computerworld.com/its_time_for_some_apple_tv_updates>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
Sure the Remote application for the iPhone/iPod touch is a little easier to use for changing music selection than the standard Appel remote, but I still think a gathering of friends hanging out in your house is a perfect setting for Genius.

**** Apple Adds, Then Pulls, MobileMe From iTunes 8 <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330247,00.asp>
by Mark Hachman and Jamie Lendino, PC Magazine
As of Thursday morning, Apple removed the controversial MobileMe control panel from the iTunes 8 for Windows installation.

**** iPhone Takes Screenshots Of Everything You Do <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/09/hacker-says-sec.html>
by Brian X. Chen, Wired
If you've got an iPhone, pretty much everything you have done on your handset has been temporarily stored as a screenshot that hackers or forensics experts could eventually recover, according to a renowned iPhone hacker who exposed the seucrity flaw in a webcast Thursday.

**** Mac 101: Using Your Windows Keyboard <http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/11/mac-101-using-your-windows-keyboard/>
by Robert Palmer, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
If you switch frequently between a Mac and a PC, chances are you have to deal with a Windows keyboard from time to time. Thankfully, this can be easy with third-party utilities, or even features already built in to Mac OS X.

**** Apple's Genius Music Recommendations Offer Mixed Results <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/09/apple-gives-mus.html>
by Michelle Quinn, Los Angeles Times

**** What Happens When You Let A Complete Stranger Hold Your iPhone <http://shawnblanc.net/2008/stranger-iphone/>
by Shawn Blanc
I was clearly in an awkward situation, and this lady was oblivious to it. She was enthralled and apparently had no pre-conceived notions about social boundaries.

**** iTunes 8 Adds Per-Podcast Settings <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9766>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
Three years after adding podcast support to iTunes, Apple has finally given us the ability to control podcast download and retention settings on a per-podcast basis.
/A lot of my smart playlists and workflow that I've set up is, precisely, to work arond iTunes' lack of individual podcast control. I guess I'll have to thnk of ways of simplifying my stuff to take advantage of this new 'feature'./

**** First Impressions: iTunes 8 <http://cultofmac.com/first-impressions-itunes-8/2753>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac

**** Apple Refutes NBC's Pricing Policy Claims <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10038173-93.html>
by Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com
"We're glad to have NBC back and they are participating under the same terms with all the other content providers," Eddy Cue, vice president in charge of Apple's iTunes Store, said.
See Also:
NBC And Apple Still Bickering Over iTunes Pricing Minutia <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/11/nbc-and-apple-still-bickering-over-itunes-pricing-minutia>, by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica.

**** FunctionFlip 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135505/2008/09/functionflip.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
FunctionFlip sits in your menu bar and lets you choose the behavior of each "special" F-key.

**** Set Some Missing iTunes 8 Preferences <http://www.macworld.com/article/135501/2008/09/itunes8prefs.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
Each of these preferences can be toggled with a simple one-line Terminal command.

**** The iPod Classic Is Just Keeping The Seat Warm <http://www.macworld.com/article/135490/2008/09/classicseatwarmer.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
Once Apple can offer an iPod touch with iPod-classic capacity at a price that's not outrageous, consider it the final nail int he classic's coffin.

**** Attendee Registration Opens For Macworld Expo <http://www.macworld.com/article/135500/2008/09/macworldexpo.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** What's Happening In Mobile: A Peek At New Products, Services <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10003>
by Sam Diaz, ZDNet.com

**** Mega Projects In Singapore May Not Be Enough To Offset External Slowing <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/375479/1/.html>
by Ng Baoying, Channel NewsAsia
As the global economy slows, some have started to question if large projects like these are enough.

**** Much Ado About Nothing, PTC? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/09/much-ado-about-nothing-ptc/>
by Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Singapore Goes After Dow Jones Again <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1432&Itemid=31>
by Asia Sentinel
The island republic's attorney general files contempt charges against the Wall Street Journal Asia for unfavorable editorials.

**** The Mr And Mrs Tan Gamit <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-933.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
In the long run, these laws will ruin us. Each generation of ministers will be less secure than the last, more dependent on the rigging (oops, I mean the views of the mythic heartlanders, Mr &amp; Mrs Tan) to stay in power than winning an open contest of ideas. But don't we know: Insecure people make the worst leaders?

**** Indonesian Court Rejects Temasek Appeal <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4e85e1f8-8079-11dd-99a9-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1>
by John Aglionby, Financial Times
Indonesia's supreme court has rejected most of an appeal by Temasek Holdings against a lower court verdict that Singapore's state-owned investment company violated anti-monopoly laws through its indirect ownership of stakes in the country's biggest two mobile phone companies. Temasek was convicted of monopolising the market.

**** Unfriendly? <http://lienpangren.blogspot.com/2008/09/unfriendly.html>
by LienPangRen
If you don't show respect to your host, don't expect the same treatment back. Get on with life and just queue like everyone else.

**** Singapore's Survival Depends On Friendly "Malaysian Hinterland"! <http://barkingmagpie.blogspot.com/2008/09/singapores-survival-depends-on-friendly.html>
by BarkingMagpie
If Pakatan Rakyat were to form a government it will be more apt to be bullied into submission by the more aggressive Singapore's PAP.

**** Singapore Proceedings Target Wall Street Journal <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122115696803124341.html?mod=fox_australian>
by Wall Street Journal
Singapore's attorney general applied to the country's court for contempt proceedings against the company that publishes The Wall Street Journal's Asian edition and two senior editors.
"We are aware of the statement issued by the Singaproe Attorney General's office regarding the applicatino for contempt proceedings against The Wall Street Journal Asia," a Dow Jones spokesman said. "While we are reserving comment on the application until we receive official notifications, we do not believe the articles were contemptuous of the Singapore courts."

**** Singapore Introduces 'Unfriendly' Restrictions <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/9/12/nation/2007727&sec=nation>
by Nelson Benjamin, The Star
Singapore has imposed a new ruling which has been described as "unfriendly" &mdash; including introducing restrictions against Malaysian VIPs and High Commission staff vehicles entering or leaving the island republic.
Members of the Johor royalty, Malaysian VIPs and High Commission staff were previously allowed "easy access" where they could use the bus lane at the causeway or the Second Link to avoid getting caught in the massive traffic snarl. They can no longer enjoy the privilege.

**** Bus And Train Fares Up On 1 October <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/375388/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Adult Ez-ink fares on buses and trains and the senior citizen concession Ez-link fare will see a flat increase of 4 cents per ride. However, this will be offset by the 15-cent increase in transfer rebate from the current 25 cents to 40 cents.

**** Fare Increase Not Fair To Lower Income <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/09/fare-increase-not-fair-to-lower-income/>
by Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen
PTC's fare increase formula may not be very fair to lower-income grous, as it is based on the average wage increase.
/Question from me: how do the transport vouchers impact?/

**** Wall St Journal Asia Sued <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/Story/STIStory_277753.html>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times
The Singapore government is taking the Wall Street Journal Asia newspapers and its editors to court, accusing them of contempt of court.
It alleges that three articles the WSJA hd published in June and July 'impugn the impartiality, integrity and independence of the SIngapore Judiciary.'

**** Keeping Fuel Surcharge For Fares Is Unfair <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_277655.html>
by Cindy Goh, Straits Times
In the past month, prices of crude oil and petrol have been adjusted four or five times. However, no one has told the companies I mentioned to remove the fuel surcharge.
/ComfortDelgro <http://www.cdgtaxi.com.sg/mediaviewer?mediaid=531> had publicly stated the fuel surcharge will be removed "when diesel prices fall back to $1.19 per litre which was the market price on 17 December 2007." Singapore Airlines <http://news.theage.com.au/business/singapore-airlines-to-cut-fuel-surcharge-20080908-4cc8.html> had just announced it will "cut fuel surcharges on some of its international flights."/

**** Allow Prisoners To Write More Letters? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/275432.asp>
by Lionnel Lim, Today

**** 11Am And Still Not Open? Pay $50 <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,176309,00.html?>
by Karen Wong, New Paper
If you happened to be at the Bugis Street market in the morning lately and wondered why the stalls were open so early, read on - there is a good reason. The stall owners may be slapped with a fine of $50 a day if they open any later than 11am.
/Simply put, middlemen suck./