[MyAppleMenu] Mar 10, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 10 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Lionsgate Confirms iTunes Digital Copy Plan <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20679>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Will The SDK Be The iPhone's Achilles Hell? <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/will_the_sdk_be.html>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek

**** Emasculating Windows <http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1138540217;fp;4194304;fpid;1>
by Don Tennant, Computerworld
The only surefire way for Apple to be a viable alternative to Microsoft in the enterprise is for it to be acquired by an IT powerhouse with a dominant enterprise presence.
/Well, even if this is true, there are two assumptions that may not be true: one, that Apple wants to be in enterprises, and two, that Apple wants to be an alternative to Microsoft. I doubt if either of these two assumptions are true./

**** Aperture 2.0: The Ars Technica Review <http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/aperture-2-review.ars>
by Dave Girard, Ars Technica
Aperture 2 isn't doing anything groundbreaking over the previous version, but the better overall speed and Quick Preview combined with background processing alone will be worth the cost of the upgrade for many users.

**** Why Apple Will Dominate Next Gen Compting <http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/why_apple_will_dominate_next_gen_computing.php>
by Alex Iskold, ReadWriteWeb
Now, a handheld device has lept forward, years ahead of what is available inside any modern browser. The sheer power of Apple's graphics, motion and sound APIs just opened the door for things that have not been possible before on the web.

**** McCartney Cashes In On Beatles' Catalog <http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Entertainment/2008/03/08/mccartney_cashes_in_on_beatles_catalog>
by UPI
British singer Paul McCartney has reached a $400 million agreement with iTunes for the distribution of the Beatles' back catalog.
/The yellow iPod is near!/

**** Apple Restricts 3Rd Party Developers With Lack Of Mutli-Tasking On The iPhone <http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=934>
by Matthew Miller, ZDNet.com
I think there will still be some great applications that won't be directly affected by lack of multi-tasking, but there will also be quite a few that may never be developed because of this limitation.

**** Serving Up Television Without The TV Set <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/technology/10online.html?ex=1362888000&en=2ec2d8b760d386c8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Brian Stelter, New York Times

**** How Twitter Makes It Real <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7287536.stm>
by Bill Thompson, BBC News

**** To Aim Ads, Web Is Keeping Closer Eye On You <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/technology/10privacy.html>
by Louise Story, New York Times

**** The Joy Of Boredom <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/03/09/the_joy_of_boredom/>
by Carolyn Y. Johnson, Boston Globe
Don't check that e-mail. Don't answer that phone. Just sit there. You might be surprised by what happens.

**** Book Lovers Ask, What's Seattle's Secret? <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/09book.html?ref=books>
by Julie Bick, New York Times
Though the big publishing houses are still ensconced in New York, the Seattle area is the home of Amazon, Starbucks and Costco, three companies that increasingly influence what America reads.

**** The Vow <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/04/AR2008030402498.html>
by Liza Mundy, Washington Post
When Dave Kendall promised to love Diana "in sickness and in health," he meant it.

**** When Science Meets The Soul <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/03/09/when_science_meets_the_soul/>
by Darshak Shanghavi, Boston Globe
Maria and Jose Azevedo had to choose: allow their baby to die a preventable death or save him while acting against their religion. The doctor who helped guide them shares their story.

**** Godo Instincts <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/magazine/09wwln-lede-t.html?ref=magazine>
by Jim Holt, New York Times
Is altruism really best understood as an urge wired into us by selfish genes?

**** Singapore Economists Expect Economy To Grow 5.6 Percent In 2008: Survey <http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/10/business/AS-FIN-ECO-Singapore-Economy.php>
by Associated Press

**** SMRT Fined $400,000 For Causing Severe Train Disruption <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_215308.html>
by Azlinda Mohd Said, Straits Times
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has fined SMRT nearly $400,000 for causing severe disruption to train services betwen the Tanah Merah and Pasir Ris MRT statioins on Jan 21. Investigations showed that the incident was the result of SMRT not complying with operating procedures.

**** Malaysian Vote Will Not Affect Ties: Singapore FM <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_215301.html>
by AFP
The election setback suffered by Malaysian prime minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi's rulign coalition is not likely to affect ties with Singapore, the city-state's foreign minister said on Monday.

**** Tightened Security Dampens Singaporean Spirit <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/3/10/nation/20080310132330&sec=nation>
by Anuradha Raghu and Mohd Hanafi Hanafiah, The Star
The tight security at the Singapore checkpoint after the Feb 27 escape of accused terrorist Mas Selamat Kastari has discouraged many Singpaoreans from travelling into Johor Baru.

**** 2210Hrs On A Sunday... <http://www.nowhere.per.sg/?p=588>
by Darth Grievous' Dark Domain

**** Singapore Says Has Enough Land To Meet Office Demand <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSSIN3581620080310>
by Reuters
Singapore will provide more land for offices as part of a strategy to strengthen its position as an Asian financial centre, the government's real estate planning agency said on Monday.

**** At L.A. School, Singapore Math Has Added Value <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-math9mar09,0,1449785.story>
by Mithcell Landsberg, Los Angeles Times
Fundamentalists called for a return to basics; reformers demanded a curriculum that would emphasize conceptual understanding. Mathematicians on both sides of the divide say the Singapore curriculum teaches both. By hammering on the basics, it instills a deep understanding of key concepts, they say.

**** Too Many Jobs, Too Little Time? <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,158669,00.html>
by Elysa Chen, New Paper
With many big projects underway, will our construction resources be strained? That possibility is worrying some in the industry.

**** Singapore: In The Temple Of The Rich <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/7/story.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=10496538>
by Jim Eagles, New Zealand Herald
The most impressive thing about Singapore's marvellous old Raffles hotel is the welcome.

**** Passengers: Where Are The Cabs? Cabbies: Where Are The Passengers? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,158667,00.html?>
by Hedy Khoo, New Paper
New rule for cabs in CBD causes confusion.
See Also:<br/>Human Queue For Taxis Are Back... <http://keropokman.blogspot.com/2008/03/human-queue-for-taxis-are-back.html>, by The Keropok.

**** 'Dangerous Talk' About Giveaways Worries PM <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_215099.html>
by Zakir Hussain, Straits Times
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong warned that if the country stopped saving and investing for the future, economic growth would grind to a halt and 'we would be in serious trouble'.
/This, I believe, is an attack on a strawman. Nobody is seriously saying that we shouldn't invest for the future. The real question: how much to invest, and where to invest./

**** Mas Selamat: Government Still Not Sure How He Got Away <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_215098.html>
by Zakir Hussain, Straits Times
"How did it happen? We're not absolutely sure yet," Mr Lee Hsien Loong said yesterday.
/By not saying why the government is unsure, I don't think I can buy the story./