[MyAppleMenu] Jun 21, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 21 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Telstra To Sell 3G iPhone <http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23890067-15306,00.html>
by Michael Sainsbury and Stuart Kennedy, The Australian
Telstra will join Optus and Vodafone in launching the new 3G version of Apple's new iPhone in July and Telstra chief Sol Truillo may make an announcement next week.

**** Putting Prices Into Focus <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/21/AR2008062100149.html>
by Michael S. Rosenwald, Washington Post
The initial price (and even the first discount) of the iPhone anchored consumers to the idea that to own this device, you would have to pay a lot of money, substantially more than a typical cellphone.
"It establishes a reference price of $600, and now when it comes down &mdash; that's very, very exciting."

**** Business 'Yet To Be Convinced By Apple iPhone' <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/77269800-3da8-11dd-bbb5-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1>
by Kevin Allison, Financial Times
Apple could face an uphill battle convincing big businesses to abandon the BlackBerry in favour of its iPhone mobile handset, according to a study released yesterday.

**** iTunes Rules. And Don't Forget It <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/06/itunes-rules-an.html>
by Michelle Quinn, Los Angeles Times
It seems to me that Apple's announcement was designed to remind everyone: iTunes rules.

**** Where Yahoo And Apple Diverged <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/06/20/yahoo-apple-microsoft-tech-ebiz-cx_bc_0620yhoo.html>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
Yahoo's next chief executive should ask himself a simple question: What would Steve Jobs do?

**** Brilliant Like A Fox <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/1013635,CST-FIN-andy19.article>
by Andy Ihnatko, Chicaco Sun-Times
Firefox 3.0 has the usual foibles of all mortal creations but nonetheless, it should be your one and only browser.

**** Apple Success Linked To More Than Just Steve Jobs <http://uk.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUKN1738202020080621>
by Scott Hillis, Reuters
As valuable as Jobs is, respect for the executive team he has assembled runs high, and Apple could quickly bounce back if Jobs were to leave for whatever reason.

**** Maybe I Was Wrong About Mac Servers <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9164>
by Jason Perlow, ZDNet.com
I couldn't help but ponder the implications of Macs having a native implementation of Sun's ZFS network scalable file system in the latest versions of Mac OS X Snow Leopard client and Snow Leopard Server. Finally, a compelling reason to use Macs as file servers.

**** Making Your Point Through Numbers <http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/jun2008/sb20080620_779402.htm>
by Carmine Gallo, BusinessWeek
It takes skill to use numbers without losing your customers' attention. Here's how IBM, Apple, and others put them in context.

**** MDIs On The Mac <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2008/06/07/mdi-on-the-mac/>
by Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code
There are many reasons why MDIs are a bad idea; some of them generic, some of them due to how the Mac normally works.
/For a long time, I didn't get tabs in a browser. Then I realised that both the Dock on a Mac and the Taskbar on Windows are still inadequate in terms of power./

**** Will The iPhone's Apps Store Kill The 'Jailbreak' Market? Maybe Not <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/6/will_iphone_apps_store_kill_the_jailbreak_market>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider
As long as Apple is in charge of vetting apps for the iPhone store, we think there will be some interest in jailbreak apps.

**** FoxTrot Professional Search Goes Beyond Spotlight <http://www.macworld.com/article/134091/2008/06/foxtrot.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Harnessing The Power Of 'Clouds' <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7465386.stm>
by Spencer Kelly, BBC News
It is not unusual to find the computer you bought only a couple of years ago cannot handle the very latest software, but there could be an answer to the problem so long as you are connected to the internet.

**** More On The Settlement: AP's Nightmare Identified <http://www.wordyard.com/2008/06/20/ap-nightmare-identified/>
by Scott Rosenberg, Wordyard
AP has what economists call an "incumbent business model." They have a way of obtaining revenue that they feel is threatened.

**** AP Affair: Prelude To Longer Conflict? <http://www.wordyard.com/2008/06/20/ap-affair-prelude/>
by Scott Rosenberg, Wordyard
So the AP has closed the book on its dispute with the Drudge Retort. The matter may be "closed" &mdash; but the book never got written!

**** 'Not My Fault' <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/books/review/Heilbrunn-t.html>
by Jacob Heilbrunn, New York Times
What may, in fact, be most revealing about McClellan's book is not what it discloses about the head of state, but what it says about the continuing devaluation of the political memoir as a literary form. Pradoxical though it may seem, even as these books have become more accusatory, they have also become less illuminating.

**** True Grit <http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-07-01/feature.php>
by Elmer Kelton, Texas Monthly
To me, the word "Cowboy" calls to mind a long and noble tradition of hard work and honesty. But every time I turn on the news, I hear it thrown around as a pejorative, hijacked by pundits and politicians to refer to arrogant, reckless types who go it alone and break all the rules. If any ot these folks had ever spent a day with my father on the McElroy Ranch&mdash;or with the thousands of working cowboys in Texas&mdash;they might have a different idea.

**** ; ( <http://www.slate.com/id/2194087/?from=rss>
by Paul Collins, Slate
Has modern life killed the semicolon?

**** Chinese Food Translations: Sweet, Sour And Downright Odd <http://olympics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/20/chinese-food-translations-sweet-sour-and-downright-odd/index.html>
by Jennifer 8. Lee, New York Times
Pumping Chinese dishes through a computer translator can create some strange results, but translation has always been more an art than a science. Of course, machine translation + human error can create even more bizarre results.

**** Typos A La Carte, Ever A Specialty Of The House <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/17/AR2008061700540.html>
by Jane Black, Washington Post
In my fantasy, I enter a restaurant, order and sweetly ask the waiter if I can "hold on to the menu" during dinner. Then, using a distinctive purple pen, I discreetly copy-edit the descriptions of the dishes.

**** Imagewell For Cropping And Uploading Images <http://otterman.wordpress.com/2008/06/21/imagewell-for-cropping-and-uploading-images/>
by Otterman Speaks...

**** Minister Mah Says Cutting Petrol Taxes Not The Way To Cushion Rising Oil Prices <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/355547/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
National development minster Mah Bow Tan has said the government cannot reduce petrol taxes despite the soaring oil prices. He warned against taking the subsidy route, noting that even countries like China and Malaysia have started to re-think their policies on this.
/Even though I agree that there is really no need to cut petrol taxes yet, I don't see how cutting petrol tax equates to taking the subsidy route./

**** Companies Should Provide Transport For Workers <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/260825.asp>
by Michelle Jean Yeang, Today

**** Saturday ERP 'Unnecessary' <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/260828.asp>
by Roy Chan, Today
Not once have we experienced traffic congestion.

**** The Workers' Webolution <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/260809.asp>
by Today
The SIA announcement, while understandable, is one that is hard to police and goes against the direction in which the web is naturally evolving.