[MyAppleMenu] Jun 20, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 20 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** For God's Sake, Get eBooks Going, Steve Jobs! <http://mikecane2008.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/for-gods-sake-get-ebooks-going-steve-jobs/>
by Mike Cane

**** A Mac Geek's Take On Birth Announcements <http://www.macworld.com/article/134082/2008/06/macbabyannnounce.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
People want to know all about the baby /now/.

**** Steve Jobs Can Never Die <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2008/06/20/notes062008.DTL>
by Mark Morford, San Francisco Chronicle
Will Steve Jobs be around awhile? Would it not seem brutally unfair and wrong were he to depart, thus potentially toppling one of the seminal technology and design companies of the world and creating a massive vacuum and inducing a great wonder as to where the next world-class game-changer will come from?

**** Could Old Macs Be Left Behind By New Operating System? <http://origin.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_9632561?nclick_check=1>
by John Boudreau, San Jose Mercury News
Observers don't expect Jobs to say much more about Snow Leopard until January at the company's annual Macworld conference. But just a glimpse of the latest big cat from Apple has created speculation and buzz among Mac fans and analysts.

**** Why The New iPhone WIll Squash BlackBerry <http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/business/article4179584.ece>
by Mark Frary, The Times
While the BlackBerry has a uge following, the iPhone's desirability coupled with industrial-strength push email will see that dominance come to an end.

**** Replacing Apple's Irreplaceable Steve Jobs <http://www.thestreet.com/s/replacing-apples-irreplaceable-steve-jobs/newsanalysis/technology-update/10422198.html?puc=googlefi&cm_ven=GOOGLEFI&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA>
by Priya Ganapati, TheStreet.com
Many believe investors pay a "Steve Jobs premium" for the stock.

**** SmartBackup 2.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133931/2008/06/smartbackup2.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
What makes FreeRideCoding's SmartBackup 2.2.4 unique is that&mdash;in addition to most of the usual trimmings of a ood backup program, including incremental and bootable backups, network backups, and the ability to retrieve files from your backups using the Finder&mdash;it lets you define files to be backed up using saved Spotlight searches.

**** The iPhone's Next Frontier: Porn <http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1815933,00.html>
by Jeremy Caplan, Time
Sensing the start of a profitable new era for pocket porn, the adult entertainment industry is investing heavily and feverishly broadening its marketplace of iPhone porn.

**** SecureMac Discovers Trojan Horse Targeted At Mac OS X <http://www.macworld.com/article/134084/2008/06/securemac.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Secure claims o have discovered several variants of a Trojan horse in the wild targeted at users of Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5. The Trojan is being distributed from a hacker web site through iChat and Limewire, the company said.

**** WWDC 2008 Miscellany <http://daringfireball.net/2008/06/wwdc_miscellany>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** Apple Says The Price Is Right <http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/apple-defends-pricey-goods/2008/06/19/1213770787249.html>
by Stephen Hutcheon, Sydney Morning Herald
The head of Apple's highly successful retail division denies the company is slugging local customers more for its products by failing to pass on the benefits of the strong Australian dollar.

**** Selling Big Business On The iPhone <http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/19/technology/corporate_iphone.fortune/>
by Jon Fortt and Michal Lev-Ram, Fortune
Apple is taking a new corporate-friendly tact with the iPhone as it tries to convince companies that it means business about meeting their needs.

**** iPod Air: See You In September? <http://mikecane2008.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/ipod-air-see-you-in-september/>
by Mike Cane
The iPod touch can't be sustained at its current price point.

**** The Music Industry Abuses Us And We're To Blame <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-9972634-17.html>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
Because iTunes is such a success, we've given the record industry the license it needs to keep abusing its power and ensuring that we can't own music, nor can we transfer it from one place to another.

**** Kerning And Opentype Features In Firefox 3 <http://opentype.info/blog/2008/06/14/kerning-and-opentype-features-in-firefox-3/>
by Ralf Herrmann, OpenType

**** Psystar Taunts Apple With Xserve Clone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/19/psystar_taunts_apple_with_xserve_clone.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Aggressively staking its claim as the lone company outside of Apple selling Mac OS X systems, Psystar on Thursday has unveiled a pari of Xserve-like rackmount computers unofficially based on Apple's Mac OS X Leopard Server.

**** Pondering Apple In A Post-Jobs World <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9130>
by Jason Prelow, ZDNet.com
It's no secret that what is holding Apple back from finally cutting the cord from its hardware and allowing mass-licensing of OS X on generic X86 hardware is Jobs himself.
/Oh, really?/

**** Apple Udates Safari For Windows With Four Security Fixes <http://news.cnet.com/8301-10789_3-9973224-57.html>
by Robert Vamosi, CNET News.com
Apple on Thursday released a new version of Safari for Windows that includes a security fix for a high-profile carpet-bombing desktop attack vulnerability previously dismissed by the Cupertino vendor.

**** More Than TV <http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content/2008/july/basic-jones.shtml?sr=hotnews>
by Dewitt Jones, Outdoor Photographer
In my opinion, there's not a photographer on the planet who shouldn't invest in one of these. Apple TV has become my "final frame," if you will. This is where most of my images will end up for my personal delight and enjoyment.

**** Remote Management Exploit Found In Mac OS X <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/19/remote.mgmt.exploit/>
by MacNN
A new vulnerability connected to Mac OS X's Remote Management feature has been discovered, says the security firm Intego.

**** AT&amp;T Paying Apple $325 Per iPhone 3G <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/19/att.iphone.subsidy/>
by MacNN
AT&amp;T reportedly paying a $325 for each iPhone 3G, an unprecedented dollar amount that would put the device well above competing smartphones and mobile devices in terms of carrier-supplied financial assistance.

**** Planned Yahoo Reorganization May Spark Executive Departures <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121392246354890533.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Jessica E. Vascellaro, Wall Street Journal
As Yahoo Inc. attempts to move beyond its takeover battle with Microsoft Corp., the company is planning a reorganization that is sending ripples through its executive ranks.

**** Speak English, Stupid Computer! <http://www.slate.com/id/2193837/?from=rss>
by Chris Wilson, Slate
Finally, a search engine that understands you. But don't ditch Google yet.

**** Six Degrees, But No PhD <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/06/six_degrees_but_no_phd.html>
by Mary Lynas, The Guardian
Not being a scientist is a help rather than a hindrance when it comes to communicating - with the necessary passion - the findings of scientific research.

**** Totally Fucking Limp <http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=601462&bk>
by Paul Constant, The Stranger
Can a filthy, filthy German give sex writing a kick in the pants?

**** Text Message From Los Angeles <http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=601461&ft>
by Paul Constant, The Stranger
On the demented, celebrity-crazed, surrdner-happy, endlessly-on-the-verge-of-being-wiped-off-the-planet publishing industry. (Note to panicked book lovers: Everything is going to be okay.)

**** New Rules To Prevent Profiteering From Employment Of Foreign Workers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/355325/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Starting from 14 July, employers cannot receive payment - whether monetary or in kind - as consideration for employing a Work Permit or S Pass holder.

**** Only One Errant Smoker Nabbed Per Officer A Month <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_249721.html>
by Adrian Choo, Straits Times
I strongly agree that the NEA should consider outsourcing enforcement to third parties.

**** Mas Selamat Dexter? <http://alvinology.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/mas-selamat-dexter/>
by Alvinology
This spoof poster is further rubbing salt into the wound.
/If you can't laugh at yourself... well, you really should start to learn./

**** The Scourge Of Inflation <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/the-scourge-of-inflation/>
by The Online Citizen
One possible way forward is to strengthen MAS' independence from the government and to give it a strict inflation target to aim at, wich might bolster MAS' credibility and lower the costs of containing inflation.

**** I Am Superstitious About ERP <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/i-am-superstitious-about-erp/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen
It never strikes me how incapable our top civil servants are of finding a creative solution out of the problem we're in.

**** Rizal's Visits To Singapore <http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/columns/view/20080620-143703/Rizals-visits-to-Singapore>
by Ambeth Ocampo, Philippine Daily Inquirer