[MyAppleMenu] Jun 13, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 13 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** MeMobile, You Kaput: Apple's Plan To Take Over The World <http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080613_005065.html>
by Robert X. Cringely, PBS
The 20 percent market &mdash; if that's all that you are aiming for &mdash; tends not to be price-sensitive. That market is willing to pay something for elegance or convenience, but better still for elegance /and/ convenience. That's how Apple could charge $99 per year for .Mac and for the successor to .Mac, MobileMe. There is at least $60 in profit for Apple hiding inside the $99 price.

**** Fable: The Lost Chapters <http://www.macworld.com/article/133900/2008/06/fabletlc.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Fun-filled, but it may have missed its winodw of opportunity.

**** Analysis: Will iPhone Games Lead To More On The Mac? <http://www.macworld.com/article/133945/2008/06/iphone_games.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Making The Switch To Apple <http://www.31fps.com/2008/06/12/making-the-switch-to-apple/>
by Sam Purtill, 31fps
This thing gets so hot I could make breakfast on top of it if I flipped it over. This is /completely/ unacceptable, I can't believe the FCC (or whatever body governs products here in the US) let Apple release a computer that could get to the temperatures that mine has already gotten to in the last few days.
/My MacBook also gets too hot to be a *lap*top whenever I use HandBrake./

**** What Apple's Snow Leopard Announcement Tells Us About Its Future Plans For Intel Nehalem <http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20080612VL201.html>
by Ricky Morris, Digitimes
It looks like Snow Leopard is being designed specifically to make the most of Intel's next-generation Nehalem microarchitecture.

**** Apple's Snow Leopard - An OS Without Any New Features? <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9097518&source=rss_topic123>
by Dan Turner, Computerworld
I'm liking this idea. Quality, not quantity.

**** Did Steve Jobs Demo A Flash-Enabled iPhone 3G? <http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/06/12/did-steve-jobs-demo-a-flash-enabled-iphone-3g/>
by iPhone Atlas
On the keynote-demonstrated iPhone 3G, this site renders the same cheetah image /without/ the "This presentation requires Flash" message. Interesting.
/I wouldn't read too much into this, personally. I think Flash is running internally inside Apple, but Apple would probably make a big deal out of it if they are indeed shipping iPhones with Flash support./

**** What It Means To Have No New Features In OS X <http://noodlemac.com/index.php/mac/articles/what_it_really_means_to_have_no_new_features_in_os_x/#When:16:55:00Z>
by NoodleMac
Gone are the megahertz and gigahertz wars. Gone are the feature wars between applications and operating systems. It's all about what works together and Apple makes it work together better than anyone in the technogadget world.

**** Is Navigation Software Authorized On The iPhone? <http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/index.php?action=article&numero=896>
by GPS Business News
It seems these limitations apply to using APIs linked to the Maps application on the iPhone.

**** Be Careful What You Ask For <http://watchingapple.com/2008/06/be-careful-what-you-ask-for/>
by Watching Apple
It's fascinating to see how Samsung studied the iPhone, yet missed so much of what makes it lovely.

**** When A CEO Coughs, Do Shareholders Catch A Cold? <http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/06/apple-says-stev.html>
by Betsy Schiffman, Wired
We wondered if a CEO's health could be considered "material" &mdash; the sort of information the SEC requires a company to disclose to all shareholders equally. So we asked some lawyers. The consensus: it probably makes sense to disclose something that will affect a CEO's performance, but there is probably no legal requirement to do so.

**** The iPhone Fingernail Problem <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/06/the-fingernail.html>
by Michelle Quinn, Los Angeles Times
Women who have long nails &mdash; as well as people of all genders with chunky fingers &mdash; have real trouble typing on the iPhone.

**** Keep Your Goods Sizzling - Like Apple's iPhone <http://www.thestreet.com/s/keep-your-goods-sizzling--like-apples-iphone/newsanalysis/small-business-tips-of-the-week/10420986.html?puc=googlen&cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA>
by Elizabeth Blackwell, TheStreet.com
What did Jobs get right? Here's how to keep a hot product sizzling.

**** Virtualized Leopard Server Coming Along <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1863>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet.com
The day that sys admins will be able to run multiple copies of Mac OS X Leopard Server on a single Mac keeps inching closer.

**** iPhone 3G Trivia <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9652>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS
The outpouring of information by Apple yesterday about the iPhone 3G, iPhone 2.0 software, and .Mac's metamorphosis into MobileMe left us dazed. Here are few details that we left out.

**** Memo Hints At iTunes Activation With 3G iPhone <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/06/12/memo-hints-at-itunes-activation-with-3g-iphone>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica

**** Stop Reading Tea Leaves <http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2008/06/stop_reading_tea_leaves.html>
by John C. Welch, Bynkii.com
Based on my experience with the flu, if Steve had the flu? Dude, he was looking pretty good.

**** Apple Considering iPhone Sales Through Universities <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/12/apple_considering_iphone_sales_through_universities.html>
by Kasper Jade, AppleInsider
Apple is mulling a plan that would see the company extend sales of its upcoming iPhone 3G through top univerisites, and is separately considering a new protection service plan for college students, /AppleInsider/ has learned.

**** iPod Touch: Not Such A Good Deal Anymore <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/06/12/ipod-touch-not-such-a-good-deal-anymore>
by Jonathan M. Gitlin, Ars Technica
The new price of $199 for the iPhone suddenly makes that iPod touch look like a spectacularly bad deal.

**** Where Are The iPhone's iPod Improvements? <http://www.macworld.com/article/133924/2008/06/iphone3gasipod.html>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Very little has been said of the iPhone as iPod other thna that the iPhone 3G brings "improved audio" (and that may apply only to its phone functions) and offers a flush headphone jack rather than one that's recessed. With that in mind, I'd like to revisit a few of the iPhone's iPod features that could use some improvement.

**** Designing A New Game For The iPhone: Enter Kroll <http://www.macworld.com/article/133916/2008/06/kroll.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
For Digital Legends, it's been a whirlwind month. Prior to May the company had no experience developing for Mac OS X or the iPhone, but earlier this week, its newest game in development, Kroll, was featured on the keynote stage at WWDC.

**** An iPhone User's Guide To 3G <http://www.macworld.com/article/133910/2008/06/3g_guide.html>
by Glenn Flieshman, Macworld
A 3G cellular telephone network offers something akin to wired broadband while away from a wire, whether you're anchored to a table, walking, or traveling at driving or train speeds. The 3G part refers to the evolution of the cell telephone network.

**** Doubling Laptop Battery Life <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20901/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
Intel's new itnegrated power management could dramatically reduce power consumption in your laptop by shutting down operations not being used.

**** What Were We Talking About? <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121323271772766645.html?mod=rss_Books>
by David Robinson, Wall Street Journal
According to the received wisdom, computers are a godsend for productivity. But the practical experience of working in a modern office can be remarkably frazzled.

**** Microsoft-Yahoo Deal Really, Seriously Dead This Time <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080612-microsoft-yahoo-deal-really-seriously-dead-this-time.html>
by John Timmer, Ars Technica
Yahoo is stating that its talks with Microsoft have broken down entirely.

**** If A Very Sick Man Was About To Die, Wouldn't You Help To Let His Mother Know? <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/06/if-very-sick-man-was-about-to-die.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
There could only have been two reasons why ICA didn't do it: (1) ICA is just too stupid; or (2) ICA just can't be bothered.
Either way, it just reflects very badly on the ICA.

**** Online Citizen: David Vs Goliath In Singapore <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/online-citizen-david-vs-goliath-in-spore/>
by Tarani Palani, Malaysiakini
A fledgling website in Singapore hopes to emulate its counterparts across the Causeway in bringing democracy to the island state.

**** WP Leader Now Regrets Voting For PAP Candidate <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_247265.html>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times
The Bukit Panjang resident said he would not vote for his MP, Dr Teo Ho Pin, at the next election, and urged Singaproeans to 'vote in solidarity to deny the PAP'.

**** I Can't Eat Lobsters Anymore (Singapore Trip) !!! <http://ryanhui.thewhatsgoodconspiracy.com/?p=37>
by Ryan Hui

**** Diplomat Koh Dreams Of Creating Washington's Mall In Singapore <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aQ22YYBhR3XI&refer=muse>
by Adam Majendie, Bloomberg
Tommy Koh presided over the 1982 United Nations agreement that set the world's maritime boundaries, and charied the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro a decade later. He was the first executive director of the Asia-Europe Foundation and led Singaproe's free-trade negotiations with the U.S. in 2003.
In between, the engaging 70-year-old with unruly gray hair and glasses has spent two decades trying to persuade Singaporeans to love culture, first as head of the National Arts Council adn currently as chairman of the National Heritage Board, which oversees the state museums.

**** Singapore Expects Surge In Saudi Vacationers <http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=110843&d=13&m=6&y=2008&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Kingdom>
by K.S. Ramkumar, Arab News
Singapore is expecting a high volume of visitors from Saudi Arabia this summer, with the island nation offering a range of new attractions.

**** Gopalan Nair's Quickie Press Conference <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-895.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
After the press conference, I sat chatting with Chia Ti Lik for 15-30 minutes more, during which time, he received a call from the prosecutor, I'm told the latter expressed some displeasure that Gopalan Nair had gone to the media so quickly within hours of being charged.

**** Are Plastic Bags Really That Bad? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,167380,00.html?>
by Melody Zaccheus, New Paper
"Singapore does incinerate its waste, but the very fact that we are generating so much of it from plastic bags alone is still a problem."
See Previously: Trash And Burn: Singapore's Waste Problem <http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSSP9046620080522>, by Gillian Murdoch, Reuters.

**** I've Been Issued This Nets-Free Debit Card - Now What? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/259245.asp>
by Esther Fung, Today
What happens when a bank sends you a card to replace the one you already have, with different features, and imposes an annual charge that you feel you have to accept no matter what?

**** ST Telemedia Sale Of Indosat Stake Gets VP's Nod <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/259274.asp>
by Conrad Raj, Today
Indonesia vice-president Jusuf Kalla appears to have come out in support of ST Telemedia's sale of its stake in the country's second-largest provider of mobile phone services, Indosat, saying that the sale basically achieves the country's main objective of making the telecommunications sector more competitive.