[MyAppleMenu] Jun 14, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 14 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Why OS X Isn't Perfect... Yet <http://www.firstofall.net/?p=119>
by First Of All

**** Just The Macs, Ma'am <http://pipwerks.com/journal/2008/06/14/just-the-macs-maam/>
by Pipwerks.com
The software that comes wth OS X feels more useful, and is certainly easier to look at!

**** 3G iPhone Secrets Apple Has Yet To Address <http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=13369>
by Harry McCracken, PC Advisor
We're still curious about a number of things, so here's our list of the questions that we'd love to know the answer to.

**** Fanboys At New iPhone Debut Had Sights Too High <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/1005243,CST-FIN-andy14.article>
by Andy Ihnatko, Chicaco Sun-Times
2008 will be the year when the iPhone truly earns its spurs.

**** When Technology Is Too Desirable <http://www.sgvtribune.com/opinions/ci_9580532>
by Steve Scauzillo, San Gabriel Valley Tribune
If what happens after its iPod release a few years earlier holds true, Apple will not be the only entity to see increasing profits. Common thieves and criminals will be eating better this summer as well. That's because there is a direct correlation between every new release of the latest palm-sized internet device and street crime.

**** AOL Turns The iPhone Into An Expensive Radio <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/aol-turns-the-iphone-into-an-expensive-radio/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times
All of this begins to answer the nagging question about how much latitude Apple and AT&amp;T will allow to applications that may challenge their own businesses.

**** Why Does The New iPhone Use Old Wi-Fi Technology <http://blogs.zdnet.com/soho-networking/?p=222>
by Rik Fairlie, ZDNet.com
I suspect that Apple went with the older technology to wring as much battery power as possible from the new iPhone.

**** iPhone 3G May Be Apple's Most Profitable Product, Says Analyst <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9097858>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Teardown speculation puts cost of components as low as $100.

**** Apple Forces Bathroom Escorts On WWDC Reporters <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/13/apple_forces_bathroom_escorts_on_wwdc_reporters.html>
by Sam Oliver, AppleInsider
Paranoia on the part of Apple reached a new high this week when the company refused to allow journalists covering its annual developers conference to use the restroom facilities on site without a personal escort.

**** Enterprise To Apple: Whoa, Nellie <http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/28833>
by Keith Shaw, Network World
In the end there can't be a perfect mobile device - even the ones in the enterprise now have their limitations - if you're waiting for that perfect enterprise device to be made, you're going to be waiting a long, long time, because it's not ever going to be made.

**** Why Is The Market Hammering Apple? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1864>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet.com
After a bit of a bump following CEO Steve Jobs' keynote address at Apple's developer conference, the company's stock has been taking a beating. What is up?

**** Seven Open-Source Mac Apps You Need Right Now <http://www.macworld.com/article/133969/2008/06/opensource.html>
by Lisa Hoover, CIO

**** OS X Virtualization Options Limited For Desktop Users <http://www.macworld.com/article/133961/2008/06/virtualosx.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
There are many valid reasons to install a virtual copy of OS X, but between the company's license terms and the installation limits in VMware and Paralels upcoming products, it just can't be done.

**** Apple Updates Xsan Software To 2.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133958/2008/06/xsan.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Snow Leopard: Back To Basics <http://www.macworld.com/article/133953/2008/06/snow_leopard.html>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
Several thousand points out of ten to Apple for having the courage to step off the new-feature bandwagon and focus on making Mac OS X faster and more stable.
/There are significant unknowns &mdash; like prices &mdash; that will really affect whether Apple will get a thumbs up or a thumbs down./

**** What I Hate About Leopard <http://www.macworld.com/article/133956/2008/06/hate_leopard.html>
by Rick LePage, Macworld
What bugs me is the lack of polish throughout Leopard. It has far too many small things that are broken, or that just get in my way daily.

**** Ultralingua 7.0.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133939/2008/06/ultralingua7.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
If you work or play with words, are learning a new language, or work in a multi-lingual environment, Ultralingua is a useful alternative to OS X's Dictionary program.

**** Lost In E-Mail, Tech Firms Face Self-Made Beast <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/14/technology/14email.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Mat Richtel, New York Times
Some of the biggest technology firms, including Microsoft, Intel, Google and I.B.M., are banding together to fight information overload.

**** Is Google Making Us Stupid? <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google>
by Nicholas Carr, The Atlantic
What the internet is doing to our brains.

**** Does Google Hate America? <http://www.slate.com/id/2193482/?from=rss>
by Chris Thompson, Slate
The search giant rankles the right by declining to commemorate certain holidays.

**** Where The Wild Things Came From <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/books/review/Miller-t.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Laura Miller, New York Times
Leonard Marcus's "Minder of Make-Believe: Idealists, Entrepreneuers, and the Shaping of American Children's Literature" is the story of the apparatus that conjured such readers into existence: the children's librarian who chose to order "The Hobbit"; the publisher (Houghton Mifflin, Marcus's own) who brought it to market, the stores that were out of stock (possibly because of paper shortages). He even has a few words for the parents who, in the mid-20th century, increasingly saw boks as an investment in their children's future.

**** American Murder Mystery <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/memphis-crime>
by Hanna Rosin, The Atlantic
Why is crime rising in so many American cities? The answer implicates one of the most celebrated antipoverty programs of recent decades.

**** Matinee Idol Of The Travel Book <http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2285476,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=10>
by Sara Wheeler, The Guardian
Julian Evans's Semi-Invisible Man reveals that an unerring eye for the telling detail made Norman Lewis a writer of genius.

**** Art Of Discovery <http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/scienceandnature/0,,2284364,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=10>
by Georgina Ferry, The Guardian
What is a beautiful experiment? Conventional aesthetics has little to do with it.

**** SingTel Announces More Than 10,000 Pre-Orders For iPhone 3G In First 3 Days <http://realtime.zaobao.com/2008/06/080614_24.shtml>
by Lianhe Zaobao

**** Environmental Ad Withdrawn From TV After Viewers Find It Gruesome <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/212395,environmental-ad-withdrawn-from-tv-after-viewers-find-it-gruesome.html>
by DPA
A television ad intended to jolt viewers to the impact of environmental destruction on future generations was taken off the air after complaints that a scene of a chainsaw cutting open a boy mannequin were too gruesome, the station said on Saturday. Since MediaCorp started showing the "Saving Gaia" video on June 5, upset parents have written to newspapers and gone on internet forums describing the commercial as "distasteful," "scary" and "shocking."

**** Transcript Part VI - CSC Vs LHL <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2008/06/transcript-part-vl-csc-vs-lhl.html>
by Martyn See, No Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

**** Parents Considering Additional Health Screenings For Pre-Enlistees <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/354123/1/.html>
by Chio Su-Mei, Channel NewsAsia

**** Law Minister Says Attempted Court Escape Result Of Human Error <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/354100/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
The recent attempted escape by two accused persons from the Subordinate Courts should not have happened, said law minister and second home affairs minister K Shanmugam. It was the result of human error and non-adherence to established procedures.

**** From Next Year: Flag Days Only For Smaller Charities <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_247583.html>
by Theresa Tan, Straits Times

>From next year, charities with financial reerves of at least five times their annual operating costs will be barred from staging flag days.

In recent years, flag days have become increasingly popular among charities because they cost little to stage, but deliver big returns. Smaller charities have said they are increasingly being pushed out by the big boys.

**** Human Rights - Walter Woon Is Commenting From A Global Perspective <http://wherebearsroamfree.blogspot.com/2008/06/human-rights-walter-woon-is-commenting.html>
by Where Bears Roam Free
My advice to activists in Singapore is that before you draw you gun, take a step backwards, study Woon's words and reflect. He may be talking about someone else or something else in the first place.

**** Citizen Woon <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/citizen-woon/>
by The Online Citizen
The attorney-general is right that we need a real debate on human rights, but he probably won't like the answers.

**** Specters Of Unnameable Soldiers: On Necessary Deaths &amp; Singapore's Tragic Modernity <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/192012.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Are Wet Markets All Washed Up? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,167530,00.html?>
by Desmond Ng, New Paper
A recent survey indicates that while more than half of surveyed people still go to wet markets to buy fresh food, more are now heading for supermarkets and hypermarkets.