[MyAppleMenu] Jun 12, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 12 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** 5 Reasons Android Will Kill The iPhone (Or Assimilate It) <http://www.arbitraryuser.com/blog/2008/06/12/5-reasons-android-will-kill-the-iphone-or-assimilate-it/>
by Jonathan Endersby, Arbitrary User
/If Macintosh can avoid be assimilated by Microsoft for a couple a decade, why do you think Google can do it?/

**** Switch! Or How The Mac (Finally) Won Me Over <http://blog.fosketts.net/2008/06/12/switch-or-how-the-mac-finally-won-me-over/>
by Stephen Foskett
I've become less interested in tinkering with hardware lately and more in having something that works.

**** Apple Presents WWDC Design Awards <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/12/apple.design.awards/>
by MacNN
Highlights include Vara Software's ScreenFlow screencasting software, which won both the Best OS X Application and Best OS X Graphics and Media Applications awards; Aspyr's port of Guitar Hero III, which won for Best OS X Game; and Omni Group's OmniFocus, which won for Best iPhone Productivity App. Pangea's Enigmo, used to demonstrate iPhone 2.0 apps, took home Best iPhone Game.

**** App Store Has Size And Price Caps, Opening With iPhone 3G <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/12/app_store_has_size_and_price_caps_opening_with_iphone_3g.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
People familiar with the matter say that apps uploaded to the Apple-run service via iTnes Connect have been given an absolute file size limit of 2GB that may prevent some developers from producing software with very large, integrated data sets.

**** AirPort Utility 5.3.2 Available Now <http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21632>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple's brief accompanying notes explain the updates include general fixes and compatibility updates for Mac OS X's AirPort Utility and Base Station Agent.

**** Is It Fair To Analyze Steve Jobs' Appearance? <http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/06/11/is-it-fair-to-analyze-steve-jobs-appearance.aspx>
by Kim Peterson, MSN Money Blog
It seems invasive and kind of rude to be talking about the man's health. But at the same time, shareholders are understandably watchful over their investment, and any investment in Apple is an investment in Jobs.

**** What The Heck Is 3G? <http://www.slate.com/id/2193295/?from=rss>
by Chris Wilson, Slate
The technology behind the new iPhone.

**** Apple Vs Microsoft - The Chips Are Down <http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008419o-2000331777b,00.htm>
by Rupert Goodwins, ZDNet UK
The Red Ring of Death should hang above every technology company CEO's desk - a baleful anti-halo, warning to stick to the knitting.

**** Why The 3G Speed On iPhone 3G Is Capped At 1.4Mbps <http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C15501/>
by Michael Kwan, Mobile Magazine
The biggest hurdle is battery life.

**** WWDC Survey Suggests 70% Of Planned iPhone Apps May Be Free <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/11/wwdc_survey_suggests_70_of_planned_iphone_apps_may_be_free.html>
by Sam Oliver, AppleInsider
If a survey of developers attending Apple's Worldwide Devleopers Conference this week is of any indication, the average cost of a third-party iPhone application will fall well below $3.00, with the vast majority being made available at no cost at all.

**** Google V. Apple <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/06/google_v_apple.html>
by Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek
At present, there are few signs of friction. Google and Apple get along well, a friendship strengthened by mutual distrust of Microsoft. But several years down the road, Apple is likely to find itself in Microsoft's position: trying to sustain its walled-off, profitable, and very pleasant iPhone eco-system in the face of unruly innovation driven by Android developers.

**** The Longest Week <http://duncandavidson.com/2008/06/the-longest-week.html>
by James Duncan Davidson
This shot is one of my favorites from the day. The attendees shown are the first ones in line that had been waiting over 12 hours to get in and were enthusiastic as anything to be riding up the final escalator to the 3rd floor of Moscone West. All it took was a bit of verbal encouragement, along the lines of, "OK everyone, show your iPhones!", and they were happy to share their enthusiasm.

**** Move Over .Mac, Here Comes MobileMe <http://www.macworld.com/article/133908/2008/06/mobileme.html>
by Michael DeAgonia, Comptuerworld
What's new now, and what's important, is the emphasis on the push technology unveiled in the upcoming iPhone 2.0 software update.

**** Ars At WWDC: Overall, Devs Are Positive On Snow Leopard <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/06/11/ars-at-wwdc-overall-devs-are-positive-on-snow-leopard>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica
Many developers are excited about the possibilities that Grand Central and OpenCL&mdash;two major architectural features slated for Snow Leopard itnended to improve raw processing performance&mdash;can offer.

**** Running With The Dinosaurs <http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/manchester/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple
While paleontologists remvoe the sediment from Dakota grain by grain, Apple technology is helping to recreate his living persona - his actions, his movements, his walking and running gaits - at the University of Manchester.

**** Apple Gives Developers Safari 4 Preview <http://news.worldofapple.com/archives/2008/06/10/apple-gives-developers-safari-4-preview/>
by Alex Brooks, World Of Apple
Safari 4 adds the ability to Save a webpage as an application, similar functionality to the third-party application Fluid.

**** Google CEO Details Delicate iPhone Relationship <http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid={6DD88D11-0983-42F1-A1EB-24289D475E33}&siteid=nbsh>
by John Letzing, MarketWatch
Google Inc. chief executive Eric Schmidt said "the vast majority" of searches done through Google via mobile phones now come from the iPhone.
Still Schmidt reiterated that he must occasionally be excused from Apple board meetings, as Google is preparing to supply the operating system used to power a mobile device that could compete with the iPhone by the end of this year.

**** iPhone Version Of OmniFocus On Omni's To-Do List <http://www.macworld.com/article/133902/2008/06/omnifocus.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Omni Group CEO Ken Case said the iPhone version of the program solves one major problem the company has for some time&mdash;the ability to capture users' ideas easily when they're away from their computer.

**** Snow Leopard Specs Revealed, Intel Only <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/11/snow.leopard.intel.only/>
by MacNN
Individuals who obtained a developer's preview of the OS noted that Snow Leopard requires an Intel processor, confirming earlier suspicions.

**** Getting In On The Ground Floor Of iPhone Games <http://www.macworld.com/article/133893/2008/06/iphone_games.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Independent Mac software developers Freeverse Software, Aspyr Media and Pangea Software are focusing on what many companies attending this week's Worldwide Developers Conference have in thier sights&mdash;staking a homesteading claim in the burgeoning iPhone application market.

**** iStat Menus 1.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133889/2008/06/istatmenus.html>
by Roman Loyola, Macworld
iStat menus is a good way to find out what's going on under the hood of your Mac.

**** Microsoft Testing Prototype Of Facebook-Like Social Network <http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/06/11/Microsoft_testing_prototype_of_Facebooklike_social_network_1.html>
by Heather Havenstein, Computerworld

**** When Mom And Dad Share It All <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/magazine/15parenting-t.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Lisa Belkin, New York Times
They would not be the kind of parents their parents had been - the mother-knows-best mold. Nor the kind their friends were &mdash; the "involved" dad married to the stressed-out working mom. Nor even, as Marc put it, "the stay-at-home dad, who is cooed at for his sensitivity but who is as isolated and financially vulnerable as the stay-at-home-mom."
Instead, they would create their own model, on ein which they were parenting partners. Equals and peers.

**** Scorpions For Breakfast And Snails For Dinner <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/dining/11china.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Matthew Forney, New York Times
In Beijing, where my family lives, I once returned home from a restaurant with a doggy bag full of deep-friend scorpions. The next morning, I poured them instead of imported raisin bran into my 11-year-old son's cereal bowl. I wanted to freak him out. The scorpions were black and an inch long, with dagger tails.
"Scorpions!" shrieked my son, Roy. "Awesome!"

**** Gopalan Nair Denies Charges <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/gopalan-nair-denies-charges/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen
In his press statement, Nair said, "I did not at anytime send any emails to judge Belinda Ang or anyone else as far as this incident is concerned."

**** This Is What You Get <http://aidilomar.com/2008/06/12/this-is-what-you-get/>
by Aidil Omar, Sheep City
Such is the fear among the people.

**** U.S. Lawyer Faces More Charges Of Singapore Judge Insults <http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSSP34193520080612>
by Melanie Lee, Reuters
A U.S. lawyer already facing a charge of insulting a Singapore judge was indicted on Thursday in a Singapore court for disparaging another member of the bench in an email he sent two years ago.

**** Two Military Recruits Die In Singapore <http://news.theage.com.au/world/two-military-recruits-die-in-singapore-20080612-2pl8.html>
by AFP
Singapore's military has suspended its physical and endurance training for three days after two recruits died this week, the defence minister says.

**** The Difference Between A Malaysian &amp; A Singaporean (Part 1) <http://cowboycaleb.liquidblade.com/index.php/archives/2008/06/12/the-difference-between-a-malaysian-a-singaporean-part-1/>
by Cowboy Caleb
So Singaporeans make good managers in a stable environment where the status quo is to be maintained. Malaysians however thrive in chaotic situations with no clear instructions by behaving like leaders.

**** Don't Set Artifiical Deadlines: Singapore Minister To Asean <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_247054.html>
by Straits Times
Asean members must not set artifiical deadlines for the creation of a new institution just for the sake of setting up one, said Singapore's second foreign affairs minister Raymond Lim on Thursday.
In particular, he said advancing the human rights agenda within the regional grouping should be achieved through an evolutionary approach and any new Asean institution must have the support of all the 10 member states to reflect Asean's diversity, compleity and realities in all fields.

**** Gopalan Nair Faces Second Charge Of Insulting Judge <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/353601/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Former Singapore lawyer and ex-Workers' Party election candidate, Gopalan Nair, is facing another charge of insulting a High Court judge. On Thursday morning, the court heard that Nair, now a US citizen, had on 17 March 2006 insulted justice Lai Siu Chiu in an email while the judge was hearing an Originating Summons case.

**** Escape Bid From Court: SOPs Not Followed <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/STIStory_247024.html>
by Straits Times
A breach in procedure allowed two detainees to make an escape bid from the lock-up at the Subordinate Courts on Wednesday, said police, which will carry out a probe to see if there was any negligence involving the officers.

**** Justice For A Victim, But Many Molesters Go Scot-Free <http://blog.alicecheong.com/?p=317>
by Alice Cheong In Wonderland
This exactly show how the moral of the society has deteriorated.

**** What Kind Of Government Do You Want?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
When you go and ask MOF a question, say, "why is there such a tax by the government," or "why is there such a rule in place," what do you expect MOF to reply?
One blogger <http://www.mr-endoh.com/singapore/singapore-government-needs-better-hr-management/> wanted MOF to, essentially, answer in the manner of "you are asking the wrong ministry. We just collect the money.", or "you are asking the wrong ministry. We just make sure we collect the money."
I hope nobody is listening to this blogger's advice: answer as narrowly as possible. In fact, I'm glad agencies in Singapore government, mostly, do not subscribe to this policy.
(I don't think anybody will be listening much to this blogger anyway, because, frankly, his debating skills is lacking. Especially since he cannot offer a single piece of counter-point except to just repeat himself louder. Especially since he keeps contradicting himself with statements like, for example, on one page <http://www.mr-endoh.com/singapore/singapore-government-needs-better-hr-management/#comment-2237> that says "the taxation of petrol in Singapore was never designed as a measure to counter traffic congestion", and on another page <http://www.mr-endoh.com/life/is-my-english-really-so-difficult-to-understand/> that says "I do not deny petrol taxation is one of the various methods on top of ERP and higher road-tax charges etc. <to control traffic growth>".)

**** Shouldn't Mindef Be More Transparent About Servicemen Deaths? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/should-mindef-be-more-transparent-about-servicemen-deaths/>
by Joel Tan, The Online Citizen

**** Singapore Film Fest Director Philip Cheah Steps Down <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/353553/1/.html>
by Karman Tse, Today
It has all the makings of an indie mystery film worthy of inclusion in the festival that he has been synonymous with for so long.
Singapore International Film Festival (Siff) director Philip Cheah has stepped down as its frontman after 21 years &mdash; and one year after the resignation of Lesley Ho and Teo Swee Leng, who together with Cheah had been heading Siff from the start.

**** Double Standards <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/258984.asp>
by Cheryl Soh, Today

**** Singapore Can Become A Hub For Region's Arab Community, Says George Yeo <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/353476/1/.html>
by Ahmad Dhafeer, Channel NewsAsia
Foreign affairs minister George Yeo said Singapore can become a hub for the region's Arab community, even as it broadens its ties with Middle Eastern countries like Yemen.