[MyAppleMenu] Apr 29, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Apr 29 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Why No One Ever Managed To Compete With iTunes <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2008/04/29/why-no-one-ever-managed-to-compete-with-itunes/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald
The whole "buying" aspect of it is so well hidden from the user that you can happily download songs without the "I'm spending money" part of your brain kicking in to stop you.

**** I Love The Apple Genius Bar! <http://wongwords.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-love-apple-genius-bar.html>
by Francis Wong
How good was my customer service experience at Apple? In one word - Fantastic.

**** Apple Retail Workers To Change Names, Uniforms <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/04/29/apple.store.changes/>
by MacNN

**** Could Apple Be Preparing The Way For Mac Gaming? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1780>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet.com
/More like iMovie '09 increasing requirements./

**** Rogers Confirms Canadian iPhone This Year <http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/04/29/iphone.for.rogers.confirm/>
by Electronista
Canadian telecoms provider Rogers today issued a brief note confirming that it has negotiated a deal with Apple to bring the iPHone to the country, ending uncertainty that has persisted since the American announcement last year.

**** Sound Grinder Pro 1.0 Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/133212/2008/04/sgp.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Have iPhone, Will Photograph: Celebrating The Big Impact Of Small Pictures <http://perfectphotopixels.wordpress.com/2008/04/29/have-iphone-will-photograph-celebrating-the-big-impact-of-small-pictures/>
by Dominique James, Perfect Photo Pixels
Looking at my growing collection of iPhone snapshots, I cannot help but marvel at the big impact that these small images have on me, and hopefully, on others as well.

**** An Amazing Machine <http://artonomy.wordpress.com/2008/04/29/an-amazing-machine/>
by Artonomy

**** Ten Things I Hate About Windows And Love About My Mac <http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/ten-things-i-hate-about-windows-and-love-about-my-mac/>
by Adam Fisher-Cox, Appletell

**** Minireview: Manage Your iTunes Song Volumes With iVolume <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/28/minireview-manage-your-itunes-song-volumes-with-ivolume>
by Iljitsch van Beijnum, Ars Technica

**** Why I Bailed Out On Windows And Switched To Macintosh <http://www.davidalison.com/2008/04/why-i-bailed-out-on-windows-and.html>
by David Alison

**** Apple's Success Brings More Patent Lawsuits <http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207402599&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All>
by Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek
During the first four months of 2008, Apple was named as a defendant in eight patent infringement lawsuits, up from five during the same period in 2007.

**** Psystar's Mac Clones Have Allegedly Started Shipping <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/28/psystars-mac-clones-have-allegedly-started-shipping>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

**** The iTunes Store: Five Years And $2,315.60 Later <http://www.macworld.com/article/133210/2008/04/itunestorefiveyears$$$.html>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Today marks the fifth anniversary of The Store&mdash;the music/video/podcast/iPod game/iPod touch software emporium launched by Apple on April 28, 2003. To mark the occasion I thought I'd take a gander at my Purchase History and use it to note a handful of personal landmarks.
/For me, two iPods, one case, couple of headphones, and two remotes later, total amount spend on iTunes Store: $0./

**** New iMac Has A Need For Speed <http://www.macworld.com/article/133204/2008/04/imacbump.html>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
Faster processors, RAM, and system buses should bump up performance across the board, and the availability of the Nvidia graphics card ought to provide a nice boost for those who need its higher-end capabilities as well. If you were considering buying an iMac before, then they just got even harder to resist.

**** Apple Still Needs Gracenote?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Now that Apple has the iTunes Store and all its records... er... albums... er.... whatever, does Apple still need Gracenote <http://www.macworld.com/article/133211/2008/04/gracenote.html>?

**** Patent Lawsuit Targets Apple's Dock Connector In iPod Nano, Touch <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/04/28/patent_lawsuit_targets_apples_dock_connector_in_ipod_nano_touch.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
A new legal complaint accuses Apple of infringing on a patent for a flash memory drive by selling its ubiquitous iPod nano and iPod touch players, among other devices.

**** 3GHz iMac's CPU Overclocked, Not Really Next-Gen <http://www.macuser.com/news/3ghz_imacs_cpu_overclocked_not.php?lsrc=murss>
by David Dahlquist, MacUser
Essentially, the 3.06GHz processors are current generation chips modified to take in more power and to support the faster system bus speeds so that they can be revved up.

**** Skype For Mobile: Not Entirely VoIP Yet - Or Any Time Soon <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080428-skype-for-mobile-not-entirely-voip-yet-or-anytime-soon.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** If Microsoft Goes Fully Hostile On Yahoo <http://blog.pmarca.com/2008/04/if-microsoft-go.html>
by blog.pmarca.com
My bet is that hostile takeovers, particularly of larger and more mature companies, are going to become increasingly common in our industry.

**** Abundance <http://www.slate.com/id/2188047/?from=rss>
by James Longenbach, Slate

**** Nyeh <http://www.dailybacktrack.com/index.php?/archives/690-Nyeh.html>
by Joel Tan, Daily Backtrack

**** NGOs Campaign For Day Off For Foreign Maids <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_232277.html>
by Keith Lin, Straits Times
Three civil society groups have joined hands to campaign for foreign domestic workers here to be given a regular day off.

**** A Different Kind Of Homework For Singapoer Students: Get A Date <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/world/asia/29singapore.html?ref=asia>
by Seth Mydans, New York Times
The course, "Love Relations for Life: A Journey of Romance, Love and Sexuality", is the latest of many, mostly futile, campaigns by Singapore's government to get its citizens to mate and multiply. Its poularity last year has led to talk of its expansion through the higher education system.

**** HFMD Cases Surged 18% Last Week, Says MOH <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_232261.html>
by Ian Lim, Straits Times

**** MAS Expects Singapore Inflation To Cool 4% In 2H <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/344391/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has said it expects inflation to cool to an average 4 percent in the second half of this year.
Singapore's central bank also said on Tuesday that economic growth will slow in 2008 but the expansion will likely remain at healthy level even under a tighter monetary policy.

**** Demonising The Internet - And Bloggers <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/28/demonising-the-internet-%E2%80%93-and-bloggers/>
by Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen
That the mainstream media has a vendetta against the internet, and bloggers in particular, is regrettable. How does this help the government's oft-repeated claims of wanting to engage younger Singaporeans, who increasingly surf the net and use if for self-expression?

**** LTA Looking Into Seat Belts For Minibuses <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_232109.html>
by Teh Joo Lin and Lee Pei Qi, Straits Times
Minibuses that ferry children to school may have to be fitted with seat belts. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is considering the move after looking at the experiences of other countries.

**** MC=D <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,163365,00.html?>
by Mindy Tan, New Paper
Bus interchange manager puts up list showign medical leave tally of staff but when alerted, the company removes it.

**** Some Companies In Singapore Seen To Be 'Greenwashing' <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/344256/1/.html>
by Rachel Kelly, Channel NewsAsia
According to some market-watchers, some companies are 'greenwashing' or claiming to be promoting green initiatives when they are not.

**** Plastic Surgeons Say New Regulations On Liposuction Are Inadequate <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/344272/1/.html>
by Margaret Perry, Channel NewsAsia

**** Have Singaporeans Really Moved On? <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/04/have-singaporeans-really-moved-on.html>
by Gerald Giam, SIngapore Patriot
Scanning the forum pages of our English dailies, I notice a glaring absence of any letters about Mas Selamat-gate.

**** The Brutality Of The Police And Gender Norms <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2008/04/brutality-of-police-and-gender-norms.html>
by Sam's Thoughts

**** Of Angry Journalists, Anger And The Evil Internet Again <http://xenoboysg.blogspot.com/2008/04/of-angry-journalists-anger-evil.html>
by A Xeno Boy In Sg
The people whom Lee Hoong is trying desperately to connect with have moved on. Perhaps, this is the reason for her agner. No one cares what she writes anymore. No obe bothers. It is inconmmensurate anger because the thinking Sngaporean now has choice, has the ability to choose, to respond, to voice.

**** Freedom Of Speech <http://iantan.org/?p=885>
by Empty Vesel
Overcome apathy today, make a small change in your life every day and see big things happen tomorrow!