[MyAppleMenu] Apr 30, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 30 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Review: Montage 1.4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133080/2008/04/montage.html>
by Tim Haddock, Macworld

**** Bonus Reivew: Apple's Time Capsule <http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2008/04/bonus_review_apples_time_capsu.html?hpid=news-col-blog>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
For a home with more than one Mac running Leopard, I can't think of a simpler, easier backup system than Time Capsule.

**** Lenovo Takes A Page From The Steve Jobs Playbook <http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9931856-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Dan Farber, CNET News.com
The parody of the Macbook Air commercial promoting the ThinkPad X300 ultramobile PC has an effect similar to Apple's series of ads with John Hodgman and Justin Long that put down Widnows.

**** Apple's 5 Worst Hardware Flaws - And How To Fix Them <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=320>
by Robin Harris, ZDNet.com
Apple is often lauded for its design chops. And Apple's post-modern industrial design is lyrical next to Dell's neo-Soviet brutalism. But Apple makes some really stupid choices. Here are the top 5 - and the best workarounds.

**** Shopping For An iMac Could Be A Mite Easier <http://yourtech.typepad.com/main/2008/04/shopping-for-an.html>
by Julio Ojeda-Zapata, St. Paul Pioneer Press
I don't want a big iMac, but I do want a souped-up smaller one to fit into my cramped working space. I can't get that.

**** Pastor 1.8 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133220/2008/04/pastor.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
If you're looking for something simpler &mdash; just an easy-to-use utility for storing passwords, softwre licenses, and similar information &mdash; Markus Mehlau's free Pastor 1.8 is a good alternative.

**** A Time Machine Trip To The Mid-'90s <http://www.macworld.com/article/133222/2008/04/time_machine_copland.html>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
It is interesting to notice that even back then, there were forces within Apple that were trying to make backing up your hard drive a more convenient process. But it was not to be. And now we only remember Copland when someone's working on articles about famous products that never, ever reached the hands of the general public.

**** Mac BU Releases Messenger For Mac 7 <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1641>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet.com
Messenger for Mac 7 delivers new suppot for Mac OS X Bonjour isntant networking technology, a new contact list search tool, and the ability to give contacts a nickname for easy recognition, even when their screen name changes.

**** By Example <http://davidweiss.blogspot.com/2008/04/by-example.html>
by David Weiss
Ultimately, Apple and Microsoft are tying to solve many of the same problems. For me, Apple's "solution first, platform second" approach makes for easy understanding of new ideas as well as providing the activation energy needed to try something new.

**** Yorke Calls 'In Rainbows' Strategy A 'One-Off' <http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3iad7629cf5da06c79f465bb2439cbdcf8>
by Mimi Turner, Hollywood Reporter

**** Web In Infancy, Says Berners-Lee <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7371660.stm>
by Darren Waters, BBC News

**** EFF: Microsoft Betrayed MSN Music Customers <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9931304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com
The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the Zune music player.

**** In Love With The History Our Teachers Never Told Us <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/books/30horw.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Charles McGrath, New York Times
Tom Horwitz's new book, "A Voyage Long and Stragne," is about the American history most Americans never learned, including the story of the short-lived, early-17th-century colony established on this windswept island eight miles west of Martha's Vineyard.

**** Filmmaker Errol Morris Gets To The Truth Behind The Abu Ghraib Photographs <http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/16-05/ff_morris?currentPage=all>
by David Samuels, Wired
Morris' philosophically engaged skepticism about our ability to see the world as it really is gives his native sense of irony an added bite. What makes his films so completely watchable is the way they combine intensely scrupulous and detailed investigations of other people's investigations with a celebration of the irreducible strangeness of the way human beings perceive reality. The filmmaker's capacity for radical doubt is counterbalanced by his palpable desire to know.

**** The Agnony Of The Food Snob <http://www.slate.com/id/2190210/?from=rss>
by Daniel Gross, Slate
The high cost of food is the topic du jour. Global growth, bad weather, high energy costs, investors flooding into the markets, and the failure of production to keep up with growing demand are creating a food crisis. It's having a serious impact on poor working families, who devote a disproportionate share of their income to food. And it's taking a heavy toll on another class, much less deserving of our sympathy, whose members also devote a disproportionate share of their incomes to food: food snobs.

**** Where Alaa Al Aswany Is Writing From <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/magazine/27aswany-t.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Pankaj Mishra, New York Times
He's a secularist. He's a salniste. He's a dentist. And he's one of the Arab world's best-selling novelists.

**** Lee Kuan Yew Ain't No Warren Buffett <http://utwt.blogspot.com/2008/04/lee-kuan-yew-aint-no-warren-buffett.html>
by Under The Willow Tree

**** Underpass Linking City Hall MRT To Suntec City Mall Open To Public <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/344704/1/.html>
by Lynlee Foo, Channel NewsAsia

**** Putting Singaporeans First - The Workers' Party Press Release <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/30/putting-singaporeans-first-the-workers-party-press-release/>
by Yaw Shin Leong, Workers' Party, theonlinecitizen
As a result of this 'unique' economic model, the societal standing of the Singaporean worker is now being eroded in our very own country. Singapore is indeed becoming a 'City of Possibilities', however, it's not for Singaporeans but foreigners.

**** Singapore Jobeless Rate Rises, May Climb Further <http://www.cnbc.com/id/24376528>
by Reuters
Singapore's unemployment rate rose to a seasonally adjusted 2 percent in the first quarter amid mounting uncertainties in the global economy, and analysts warned the jobless rate may climb higher in the months ahead.
Preliminary data from the Ministry of Manpower showed on Wednesday that employment rose by 68,400 in the three months ot the end of March, up from 62,500 in the previous quarter.
See Also:
Employment Situation In First Quarter 2008 <http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/press_room/press_releases/2008/20080430-Employment_Situation_In_First_Quarter_2008.html>, by Ministry of Manpower, Singapore Government. Employment growth remains strong; unemployment up; retrenchments unchanged.

**** Singapore's GIC May Seek More Bank Assets, Lee Says <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aGSqHSr.EHjw&refer=home>
by Haslinda Amin and Linus Chua, Bloomberg
Government of Singapore Investment Corp. may add more bank assets to its $18 billion of investments in UBS AG and Citigroup Inc. as it chases stable returns over periods as long as 30 years, minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew.
The investments haven't yielded immeidate returns. UBS shares have fallen 35 percent since GIC announced it bought into the biggest Swiss bank on Dec 11. Citigroup, the largest U.S. bank by assets, fell 2 percent since saying Jan. 15 it was getting $14.5 billion from investors including GIC. The Singaproe dollar has gained 5.5 percent since the start of the year.

**** ICJ's Ruling On Pedra Branca Out On May 23 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/344623/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Reading of the International Court of Justice's (ICJ) judgment in the case concerning sovereignty over Pedra Branca, Middle Rocks and South Ledge will be carried out on May 23.
See Also:
Sovereignty Over Pedra Branca/Pulau Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks And South Ledge (Malaysia/Singapore) <http://www.icj-cij.org/docket/files/130/14480.pdf>, Court to deliver its Judgment on Friday 23 May 2008 at 10 a.m. International Court of Justice. (Note: PDF document.)

**** Facility Certification Post-MSK <http://otterman.wordpress.com/2008/04/30/facility-certification-post-msk/>
by Otterman Speaks...

**** Ignoring The MSM (Main Stream Media) <http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/102816.html>
by Harish Pillay

**** High Cost Of Living - What The Govenment Can Do <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/30/high-cost-of-living-%E2%80%93-what-the-government-can-do/>
by Tan Kin Lian, theonlinecitizen

**** For Every Life, A Little Rain Must Fall. <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2008/04/for-every-life-little-rain-must-fall.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

**** Wong Kan Seng And Entire Cabinet Should Resign! <http://jbjeya.org/blog///index.php?title=jbj_wong_kan_seng_aamp_entire_cabinet_sh&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1>
by J B Jeyaretnam, Reform Party
If the minister does not at least offer ot resign he will be seen as more interesed in keeping his $2 million yearly salary than in doing the right thing.