[MyAppleMenu] Apr 28, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 28 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** In Defense Of iPod Gaming <http://www.macworld.com/article/133192/2008/04/ipodgaming.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Until the line (and the price) blurs further between Apple's click wheel iPods and touch screen systems, I expect the iPod gaming will be around for a while.

**** Mac Pilot 3 Mac Customization Software Adds Features <http://www.macworld.com/article/133198/2008/04/macpilot.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Apple Updates iMac With Faster Processor, Graphics <http://www.macworld.com/article/133201/2008/04/imac.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple on Monday updated its iMac consumer desktop computer, adding the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processor and more powerful graphics.

**** Adobe Discontinues GoLive <http://www.macworld.com/article/133181/2008/04/golivedead.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Adobe on Monday announced that its venerable visual web site creation tool GoLive has been discontinued.

**** Cult Of The Podcast Celebrity <http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/cult-of-the-podcast-celebrity/2008/04/26/1208743303468.html>
by Valerie Khoo, Sydney Morning Herald
Leo Laporte may not yet be a household name but he's acquired a loyal following of fans who listen to one of his 10 podcasts each week. In fact, each month his podcasts are downloaded 4.5 million times around the world.

**** Stanford Unveils Laptop Orchestra <http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/drive_to_discover&id=6107037>
by KGO
Stanford University now has its own laptop orchestra. Instead of instruments, the musicians play computers. Each key represents a note. But the tilt of a MacBook notebook can change the sound, too.

**** No, We Don't Need Vista To Crash And Burn
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
As Steve Jobs said, Apple does not need Microsoft to die in order for Apple to win. That's why articles <http://apcmag.com/analysis_os_x_still_trails_vista_by_a_long_way.htm> comparing Apple's Macintosh sales to Microsof't's Vista sales are pretty much, well, useless.
After selling pretty well for most of the 24 years since 1984, you'd think that people will pick up the idea that the pond is big enough for more than one company to win?

**** Why Steve Jobs Is So Rich <http://guydawg.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-steve-jobs-is-so-rich.html>
by The Life Of Guy
The whole store is an experience. It's a community. It's pretty, open, and spacious.

**** Much Like I Was Awed By The MacBook Air's Perfect Weighting... <http://arbi.trario.us/2008/04/27/photo.72/>
by Arbi.trario.us
I realized that thei Phone's camera is positioned cleverly as well.

**** iPhone, With Honors: From Gimmick To The Old College Try <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080427-iphone-with-honors-from-gimmick-to-the-old-college-try.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** The Real Threat To Google <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2008/tc20080427_580014.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives>
by Ben Kunz, BusinessWeek
As more consumers browse the web on their cell phones, the no. 1 search engine must cope with less space to place ads.

**** Gin, Television, And Social Surplus <http://www.herecomeseverybody.org/2008/04/looking-for-the-mouse.html>
by Clay Shirky, Here Comes Everybody
We're going to look at every place that a reader or a listener or a viewer or a user has been locked out, has been served up passive or a fixed or a canned experience, and ask ourselves, "If we carve out a little bit of the cognitive surplus and deploy it here, could we make a good thing happen?" And I'm betting the answer is yes.

**** Lawyers Open Their File Cabinets For A Web Resource <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/technology/27novel.html?ex=1367035200&en=d279c57c870c3ad2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Anne Eisenberg, New York Times
Services are appearing that may make it easier for consumers to do their own preliminary homework on legal issues in advance of seeking help from a professional.

**** Firefox Goes Mobile <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20681/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
Mozilla's chairman explains why mobile devices need an open-source browser.

**** Microsoft Denies Fault In Hacks <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9929861-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Jennifer Guevin, CNET News.com

**** Lighght Verse <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/books/review/Hell-t.html?ex=1366948800&en=1c8eed7a6b4dd498&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Richard Hell, New York Times
This book collects nearly all the poems Aram Saroyan worte in the 1960s, when he was in his early 20s and, as he put it, "the only person available at a typewriter who didn't ahve some predetermined use in mind for it."

**** The God Of Loneliness <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/05/05/080505po_poem_schultz>
by Philip Schultz, New Yorker

**** Grief <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/05/05/080505po_poem_dickman>
by Matthew Dickman, New Yorker

**** Broken, By Daniel Clay <http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/broken-by-daniel-clay-816470.html>
by Anita Sethi, The Independent
How does a human being become a "ghost" and a "monster" locked away in a bedroom in a world of "shadows and dread"?

**** Major Public Emergency Exercise To Be Held On May 23 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/344243/1/.html>
by Hiroshi Limmell, Channel NewsAsia
/Got time to go play pretend ah? :-)/

**** Easier To Cock The Pistol Than To Pull The Trigger <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2008/04/easier-to-cock-pistol-than-to-pull.html>
by Urbanrant
Alas, sadly for Singapore our opposition lacks what it takes.

**** ERP Rate For BKE Gantry To Go Up By 50 Cents <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_231932.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
The electronic road-pricing (ERP) gantry on the BKE between Diary Farm Road and the Pan-Island Expressway is the only one being tweaked by the Land Transport Authority in its latest review of ERP rates.

**** No More Mas Selamat Nonsense For Me! No More! <http://edroos.blogspot.com/2008/04/no-more-mas-selamat-nonsense-for-me-no.html>
by The Armchair Critic
He has spoken and you shall listen. You shall not question and you'll get a question in return. How dare you even doubt the truth when it is the truth and nothing but the truth.
Just withdraw the wonderful package credited to your account today and shut the hell up.

**** Singapore And America. Polar Opposites And The Concept Of Reasonable Accountability <http://tantalizine.com/?p=119>
by Tantalizine
The polar opposite of the American Way isn't North Korea. The polar opposite of the American Way is Singapore. Singapore, jewel of East Asia, richest power of the south. The Singaporean dynasty enjoys the best pay with none of the responsiblities. Credit is claimed where non are due and blame is dispensed like the bolts from mighty Zeus.

**** Homophobia And Stereotypes Perpetuated By MDA? <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2008/04/homophobia-and-stereotypes-perpetuated.html>
by Sam's Thoughts

**** $3 Billion Benefits To Cope With Inflation? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/28/uniquely-singapore-4/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** Very Necessary <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2008/04/very-necessary.html>
by Hard Hitting In The Lion City
Surely these are indications that Singaporeans will need help. Where does "if necessary" come into it?

**** Singapore, Hit By Food Cost, Promotes $1.50 Meals <http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSSP18476120080428>
by Jan Dahinten, Reuters
Singapore's government is advertising food stalls that offer S$2 meals to help people in Asia's second-richest country cope with consumer prices at a three-decade high, a newspaper reported on Monday.

**** Storm Erupts Over New Liposuction Rules <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/344125/1/.html>
by Alicia Wong, Today

**** Higher Pay Has Maids Choosing Taiwan, Hong Kong Over Singapore <http://news.trend.az/index.shtml?show=news&newsid=1186180&lang=EN>
by DPA
Fewer foreign maids are choosing to work in Singapore, with those from the Philippines and Indonesia now preferring Taiwan and Hong Kong, a survey said Monday. The 20 maid agencies surveyd by /The Straits Times/ said that the higher pay and a compulsory weekly day off are key factors.

**** Humidifiers In Singapore <http://eicolab.com.au/2008/04/28/humidifiers-in-singapore/>
by Zern Liew, eicolab
So strange, so illogical, and oh so human.

**** LTA Lines Up Largest Ever Transport Poll <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_231819.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
More than 10,000 households will be polled in what is believed to be the biggest transport survey here to date. The findings of the travel pattern survey will shape transport policies, track the efficency of the road and rail networks, and hopefully improve life for commuters.
The LTA has commissioned Media Research Consultants - a firm owned by MediaCorp - to undertake the task for close to $1 million.

**** 'It's A Volunteer Job, Stupid' <http://melvintansg.blogspot.com/2008/04/its-volunteer-job-stupid.html>
by Melvin Tan, A Sampan On Singapore Soil