[MyAppleMenu] Apr 18, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 18 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** WiFi Bug Halts New York Department Of Education's Mac Orders <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/18/wifi-bug-halts-new-york-department-of-educations-mac-orders>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica

**** iPhone Sellers Braced For Hit On Unsold Handsets <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article3770932.ece>
by Jonathan Richards, The Times
Mobile operators with exclusive contracts to sell Apple's iPhone are bracking themselves for significant losses on unsold stock as they clear the shelves to make way for a new, faster version expected this summer.

**** Frankenmac! WHat's In A Mac Clone? <http://www.macworld.com/article/133028/2008/04/building_mac_clone.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
While it was fun to build the Frankenmac, the truth is that I'm not generally willing to live with the downsides of a build-your-own Mac over the real thing fresh from Apple's factory.

**** My First Hate Mail! <http://schoolboardsoundings.blogspot.com/2008/04/my-first-hate-mail.html>
by Cynthia Irmen, School Board Soundings
And let's remember what this editorial is saying: Apple is making their machines capable of using Microsoft software. Let me say it again: /Apple/ is redesigning their machines to be /compatible/ with /Microsoft programs/. Are you understanding the situation a little bit better now? The Microsoft programs that our kids will begin to learn as we transition to a PC environment over the next 5 years will run on both Apple machines and PCs if the author of the editorial is correct.
/Please don't write "hate mails" if you feel the urge to reply./

**** Apple Makes Minor Concession On Pushing Safari To Windows Users <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9078738&source=rss_news50>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple Inc has changed its software update tool for Windows users so that it separates updates for already-installed programs from offers to install new software.
Apple has updated the Windows utility, dubbed "Software Update," to version 2.1 That version features a split-pane displays that lists "Updates" atop and "New Software" below.

**** U.S. Army Looking To Switch To Mac's <http://www.metzener.com/switcherblog/2008/04/17/us-army-looking-to-switch-to-macs/>
by Weblog Of A "Switcher"

**** Should Apple Commercialize OS X For PC/Mac Clones? <http://www.xmonk.org/2008/04/17/should-apple-offer-os-x-to-the-masses/>
by Nothing And More
As I see it, it's a gamble for Apple to go either way.
/So many companies built operating systems for "generic" computers, and so far only one company succeeded. Why are there so many calls for Apple to license out its operating system, where history indicates that doing so will probably result in failure?/

**** My Mac Do Have Modes
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
The idea for the Mac is not to have no modes, but to make modes very visible. And, from this perspective, Time Machine is very Mac-like, because you cannot help but notice tha you are now in Backup mode.

**** IBM Denies Internal Plans Of 'Mass Migration To Macs' <http://www.betanews.com/article/IBM_denies_internal_plans_of_mass_migration_to_Macs/1208466159>
by Jacqueline Emigh, BetaNews
An IBM spokesperson today denied published reports of what he termed "mass migration" to Apple Macs at his company, claiming the only point of the test is to try to make IBM software products run well on Mac OS.

**** Return To Dark Castle <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=942>
by Franklin Pride, Inside Mac Games

**** iPhone: Love It, Hate It, Debate It! <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2284534,00.asp>
by Wendy Sheehan Donnell and Joel Santo Domingo, PC Magazine

**** Making Memories With Our Apple TV <http://toddwebb.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/making-memories-with-our-apple-tv/>
by Todd Webb
It has become the way that we experience the family photo album, and I think it is better than the way I experienced family photos when I was a kid.

**** Psystar Mystery Adds Up To Phishing Scam <http://government.zdnet.com/?p=3761>
by Richard Koman, ZDNet
If you gave them your credit card number you should alert your bank.

**** BIAS Ships Peak LE 6 Audio Editing Software <http://www.macworld.com/article/133046/2008/04/peakle6.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** The $2,500 Solution <http://www.macworld.com/article/133054/2008/04/mac_prices.html>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
My old rule of thumb &mdash; buy a professional Mac desktop model or laptop for about $2,500 &mdash; has gone by the wayside.

**** California Woman Uses Remote Control Software To Track Stolen MacBook <http://cultofmac.com/california-woman-uses-remote-control-software-to-track-stolen-macbook/1919>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
/As they said on MacBreak Weekly, this software actualy worked?/

**** MIT Media Laboratory: The Human Speechome Project <http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/mit/?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple

**** Most Bloggers Don't Deserve Any Ad Revenue <http://www.louisgray.com/live/2008/04/most-bloggers-dont-deserve-any-ad.html>
by Louis Gray

**** Microsoft's Ray Ozzie Commits To More Open Source <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9921364-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com

**** Is It Microsoft Or Ubuntu That Scared Red Hat Away From The Desktop? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1697>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet.com
If there's a dominant desktop distro, Ubuntu is it. Has this had a bearing on Red Hat's decision to leave the desktop?

**** "The Woods Are Lovely, Dark And Deep" <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/17/AR2008041703608.html?nav=rss_artsandliving/books>
by Peter Behrens, Washington Post
This is a book about a man confronting the world and struggling to make sense, through his work, of what he cannot otherwise grasp. Like Frost's poetry, Hall's novel is pungent, deceptively simple and magnificently sad.

**** Verse By The Yard <http://poetryfoundation.org/journal/feature.html?id=181409>
by Izzy Grinspan, Poetry Foundation
The longest poem in the world will be written by horny robots.

**** Why Don't Modern Poems Rhyme, Etc. <http://www.slate.com/id/2189318/?from=rss>
by Robert Pinsky, Slate
Frequently asked questions about the business of verse.

**** Young Authors Embrace The Thought Process <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-firsts20apr20,0,3110212.story?track=rss>
by Scott Timberg, Los Angeles Times
Is it possible to lead a dedicated literary life in the billionaire-filled, media-crazed New York of today? To be heedless of the material world as you burrow into novels and ideas the way the old Partisan Review gang did in the '40s and '50s, to come up with notions that rock the intellectual landscape? And if so, who exactly is still paying attention?

**** Rhymes Of Passion: Betjeman's Women <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/rhymes-of-passion-betjemans-women-811236.html>
by John Walsh, The Independent
In a world of weekend tennis parties in Surrey and Berkshire, of agreeablecountry houses with labradors, butlers and sensible atrons dead-heading roses with trug and secateur, Betjeman's poetic alter-ego exists in a chronic fever of sexual excitement.

**** How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Recession <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/04/18/recession/index.html>
by Heather Havrilesky, Salon
This is my new therapy (since I can't afford the old kind): shopping for alarmingly cheap yet nutritious foods. It's relaxing, somehow, to stand there in front of those bags &mdash; 33 cents for split peas! Amazing! &mdash; fantasizing about how my family will eat only beans from now on: chilis and bean burritos (Homemade tortillas! Just flour and water!) and ban soups, whole meals that cost less than $3 to make, that might feed the family for days on end.

**** Transforming Singapore <http://ephraim.blogspot.com/2008/04/transforming-singapore-was-case-of.html>
by Ephraim Loy, A Writer's Blog

**** Singapore Toy And Comic Convention: A Prelude <http://www.gameaxis.com/home/?blog=2162>
by GameAxis.com

**** Singapore Opposition Talks Of Unity As Veteran Returns <http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-33114820080418>
by Melanie Lee, Reuters
The return of a veteran politicla leader in Singapore has led to talk of unity among fragmented opposition parties, but analysts on Friday dismised hopes of major change in the city-state dominated by one party.

**** Government To Release COI's Findings On Mas Selamat's Escape On Monday <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/342252/1/.html>
by May Wong and Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia
The govenment will release the Committee of Inquiry's findings on Mas Selamat Kastari's escape, in Parliament on Monday.

**** Opposition FIgure JB Jeyaretnam Registers His New Reform Party <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/342277/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Opposition figure JB Jeyaretnam submitted an aplication on Thursday to register the new Reform Party as a political party.
He said the applicaiton would take two months to process and he does not foresee any difficulties in getting his application approved.

**** Bloggers' Grop Proposes Sweeping Changes In Internet Regulation <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/18/bloggers-group-proposes-sweeping-changes-in-internet-regulation/>
by Choo Zheng Xi and Alex Au, theonlinecitizen
A group of committed bloggers wil submit recommendations to the minister for information, communication and the arts within the next few days, on the subject of itnernet regulation. This open letter, which will be released to the public at the same time, will call for sweeping changes to bring Singapore in line with international norms and the reality of the new technology.

**** Contender Asia Gag Order On The Media Is Crap! <http://izreloaded.blogspot.com/2008/04/contender-asia-gag-order-on-media-is.html>
by IZ Reloaded
Journalists from traditional media like Mr Tay above can complain all they want but if they really think that the gag order makes everybody looks stupid then they should not have attended the finale if the producers insisted on the non-disclosure agreement.

**** 100 Identified So Far As Potential PAP Candidates <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_228310.html>
by Li Xueping, Straits Times
The group is diverse, representing a cross-section of Singapore society, Ng Eng Hen said. They are 'quite mixed' - females, males, of different races and backgrounds. This is a result of the PAP casting its net 'very wide', he said.

**** Home-Schooled Kids On The Rise <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_228371.html>
by Ho Ai Li, Straits Times

**** Malaysia's Barisan Nasional Spend RM9.8 Million On Print Ads! <http://www.themediaslut.com/2008/04/1009>
by Presenting The(new)mediaslut!

**** JB Singapore Urban Rails: About Time! <http://rubenerdshow.com/blog/jb-singapore-urban-rails-about-time/>
by Ruben Schade, Rubenered Blog
Having lived both in Singapore and Malayisa since the mid 1990s I'm used to hearing a lot of big talk and not much progress on most matters of collaboration, which even just from an economic perspective is such a shame.

**** Singapore Paper Recruits Laid Off NYT Staffers <http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/newspapers/singapore_paper_recruits_laid_off_nyt_staffers_82655.asp>
by mediabistro.com
Are you a victim of the expected /New York Times/ layoffs? /The Straits Times/, an English-language paper based in the Malaysian country <sic>, wants to hire /NYT/ copy editors.
See Also:
Reverse Outsourcing: Facing Forced Layoff At NY Times? Telecommute To Singapore! <http://www.thomascrampton.com/media/ny-times-layoffs-singapore-straits-times-newspaper-outsourcing-new-york-times-copy-editors/>, by Thomas Crampton. NYT staffers may have some qualms. Singapore's press freedom ranks below Nigeria and just ahead of Russia in the Reporters Sans Frontiers 2007 Press Freedom Index. The US State Department's 2006 Human Rights Assessment said that Singapore's "authoritarian style fostered an atmosphere inimical to free speech and a free press."

**** Singapore, Malaysia Will Accept Any Decision On Pulau Batu Puthi By ICJ - George Yeo <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_world.php?id=327489>
by Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama
Malaysia and Singaproe will accept whatever decision fo the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in the Hague on Pulau Batu Putih in the Johor Straits which has been a long standing and thorny issue in the diplomatic relations between the two close neighbours.
Yeo said the judgment on Pedra Banca (as Singaporeans call Pulau Batu Putih) would likely be made by the ICJ in the middle or end of next month and the outcome would not affect bilateral relations of the two countries.
See Also:
Singapore Knows What's Best For Malaysia <http://mahathirtruenationalist.blogspot.com/2008/04/re-singapore-knows-whats-best-for.html>, by Mahathirism. Are we so ready to concede more land?

**** NTUC Aims To Implement Re-employment Law Ahead Of 2012 Target <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/342097/1/.html>
by Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

**** "Submit Your Boldest Work To The Censors." - Martyn See <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/18/739/>
by theonlinecitizen
"So here's my tip - if you want to make a political film and don't want to get into trouble, minimise or avoid any negative mention of Lee Kuan Yew or Lee Hsien Loong."