[MyAppleMenu] Apr 19, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 19 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple Should Call PayPal's Bluff <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1036>
by Larry Dignan, ZDNet.com

**** Apple And The Homebuilt Mac Community <http://www.macworld.com/article/133035/2008/04/hobbyist_os_x.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Apple's "Free" Word Processor May Be All You Need <http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/apples_free_word_processor_may_be_all_you_need/>
by Charles W. Moore, Applelinks
With the Leopard release of Text Edit, many users may find that it meets all of their practical word processing needs without the necesity of buying Pages, Microsoft Word, or another third-party word processor solution.

**** Too Many Icons <http://www.macopinion.com/index.php/site/more/too_many_icons/>
by Marc Zeedar, Macopinion

**** Good For Apple, Now Go Further <http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2008/04/good_for_apple.html>
by Asa Dotzler

**** Hi-ReS: Fragments Of Imagination <http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/hi_res/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Elise Malmberg, Apple
"Going from a Silicon Graphics environment to something much more contained and accesible was instrumental in turning a more or less experimental partnership of two into a team of nearly 20."

**** AAPL Stock Continues Rebound, Boosted By Mac's Growing Market Share <http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2008/04/aapl_stock_continues_rebound_b.html>
by David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun

**** BusySync 2.0 Released With Google Calendar Support <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9571>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** Getting Rid Of My TV <http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1731885,00.html>
by Lev Grossman, Time

**** Why I Say I'm A Blogger <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2008/04/18/whyISayImABlogger.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
When any customer could also be a publisher, well that /does/ change things.

**** !!!!!!!!! <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/16/AR2008041602655.html?nav=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
by Jeanne Marie Laskas, Washington Post
CC: Get a life.

**** A Salute To All Singaporeans! <http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/high-on-a-hill/post.htm?id=63003244&scid=hm_bl>
by Hilary Chan, CNET Asia
So, this April 19th, I'd like to salute all those who regularly hang out their clothes to dry in Singapore.

**** My Role That Of Watchdog: WP Chief <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_228829.html>
by Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times
Opposition MP Low Thia Khiang sees his role as that of a watchdog, checking on whether the govenrment has delivered on its promises to Singaporeans or if it has short-changed them.

**** Blogs Languish In High-Tech Singapore <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/4/19/focus/20992712&sec=focus>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

>From the top down &mdash; PAP ministers to members of parliament to grassroots workers &mdash; the party is ill prepared to use the internet to gain public support.

**** Who Is Driving? <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2008/04/who-is-driving.html>
by Singapore Life And Times

**** A Real Grassroots Initiative By Bloggers <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/a-real-grassroots-initiative-by-bloggers.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
Can we truly expect the government to implement most of the proposals? Wearing my pragmatic hat, I would imagine that the government will, at most, acknowledge the paper but say that it is too early to implement these proposals.

**** New Party Vows To Fight Singapore 'Enslavement' <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iaKd5iGnvduFwPNc0zixU2vW7T1w>
by AFP
A tough-talking new political party vowed on Friday to fight what it called the "enslavement" of Singapore after nearly half-a-century of rule by the People's Action Party (PAP).

**** Singapore Materially Rich, Spirtually Poor: Author <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h0PULtLMhQexW6wgWrt1ZsYkkQpg>
by AFP
Singapore is materially rich but spiritually poor &mdash; and the government is partly to blame, one of the city-state's most prominent authors says.
"Press freedom, happiness and even love life and romance and so on, Singapore is ranked very low," Catherine Lim said in an interview with AFP.

**** Reform Party Is Not About Getting Even: JBJ <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/249262.asp>
by Ansley Ng, Today

**** State Of Singapore Journalism <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/249215.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Make no mistake, Singapore journalism is at a crossroads &mdash; and it is stil searching for the way forward.

**** Bloggers To Send Ideas On Internet Regulation To Government <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/249285.asp>
by Neo Chai Chin, Today
The group, led by bloggers Alex Au and Choo Zheng Xi, believes that regulators should take the form of cearly stated laws rather than "licesning, bureaucratic discretion and administrative penalties as it currently the case".
The "platform-neutral" regulations should also be as minimal as those regulating the "current freest platform", which they believe to be film.

**** Homeschooling "On The Rise" In SIngapore <http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2008/04/homeschooling-on-rise-in-singapore.html>
by The Boy Who Knew Too Much
I have written many, many times to the curiously named "Compulsory Education Unit" that is in charge of homeschooling, but the only replies I have ever received are: "We will revert to you shortly".

**** Prosecute Or Nothing <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-866.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
The whole architecture of the regulatory system is designed to be a loaded one, allowing the citizen little room to defend his rights. Focussing on the laws is not enough. The whole system mut be dismantled.
In a nutshell, the system is one that gives bureaucrats in the MDA wide discretion to write and interpret the rules (called Codes of Practice), then to judge whether you have violated them, and to either fine you or ban your work.

**** Bloggers Propose An Internet Freedom Act <http://otterman.wordpress.com/2008/04/19/blogger-propose-an-internet-freedom-act/>
by Otterman Speaks...
A maturing management system that results ultimately in a healthy ecosystem.