[MyAppleMenu] Apr 17, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 17 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** IBM Planning Switch To Mac <http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21029>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
IBM is evaluating a plan to migrate many of its employees from Windows to Mac.
"In line with IBM's external strategy of offering a true 'Open Client' that may be Windows, Linux or a Mac," the document said, "Research IS is focusing on providing an IBM application stack on multiple Operating Systems, rather than be confined to one or the other."
/Lotus Notes on Mac still sucks. :-)/

**** Keeping Your Mac Locked Down: A Mac OS X Security Primer <http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/mac-os-x-security.ars>
by Erik Kennedy, Ars Technica
In this article we'll take a look at some basic ways you can improve your Mac's security right out of the box.

**** Why I Hate My iPhone <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2284545,00.asp>
by Wendy Sheehan Donnell, PC Magazine
The iPhone does lots of stuff, but first and foremost, it's a mobile phone&mdash;and it's not a good one.

**** Mac Shipments Outpace Market In Q1 <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9920664-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Apple's Mac business outgrew the overall PC market in the U.S. by a significant margin in the first quarter, according to research from IDC and Gartner released Wednesday.

**** Apple Refusing To Close Exchange Loop? <http://www.christopherprice.net/apple-refusing-to-close-exchange-loop-287.html>
by Christopher Price
Does Apple want Exchange on Mac?
/I suspect licensing Exchange API to use on a Macintosh &mdash; as opposed to the iPhone &mdash; is significantly higher./

**** Like All Myths, The OpenMac Has A Basis From History <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/classic-tech/?p=121>
by John Sheesley, TechRepublic
To make an effective MacIntel clone, all it takes is some clean-room engineering about how Apple uses EFI to boot Mac OS X, and modify EFI on a PC to boot OS X. Include Mac OS supported Ethernet, video cards, and other hardware in your clone box and you're done.

**** The Best Way To Get Things Done On Your Mac <http://pixobebo.com/index.php/pixonomy/articles/the_best_way_to_get_things_done_on_your_mac/>
by Kate MacKenzie, Pixo Bebo
There's no shortage of utilities to help Mac users manage tasks, projects, to-do lists. Many are more complicated than the projects and tasks we want them to manage.
Is there a handy, intuitive, manageable, affordable utility that can manage what I need to get done?

**** MoneyWell Adds Scheduled Transactions <http://www.macworld.com/article/133022/2008/04/moneywell.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** NBC To Apple: Build Antipiracy Into iTunes <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9920399-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com
NBC Universal would like to have its TV shows distributed once again through Apple's iTunes service, a top exeucitve said Wednesday, but he called for antipiracy measures to help protect his business' revenue.
/It's there, NBC. It's called "ease of use" and "great experience" &mdash; so much so that you won't bother to go pirate./

**** Safari 3.1.1 Brings Security Fixes To Mac, Windows Users <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/16/safari-3-1-1-brings-security-fixes-to-mac-windows-users>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Safari 3.1.1 is, as always, recommended for all users and "includes improvements to stability, compatibility and security," according to Apple.
See Also:
Apple Patches $10,000 Prize-Winning Bug <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144738/apple_patches_10000_prizewinning_bug.html>, by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service.

**** Mac Vs. PC: The Ultimate Lab Test For New Desktops And Laptops <http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/reviews/4258725.html>
by Glenn Derene, Popular Mechanics
In both the laptop and desktop showdowns, Apple's computers were the winners.

**** In Leopard, Preview Is A Superstar <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/5700626.html>
by Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle
Preview has always been a gem. But in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard it's turned into a real powerhouse with many new and useful features.

**** Psystar Exposed: Looks Like A Hoax <http://gizmodo.com/380488/psystar-exposed-looks-like-a-hoax>
by Gizmodo
Reader Kahri visited their second location and saw no Psystar, but a packing supply company called "US Koen Pack."

**** Overcome Private Network Limits With Port Forwarding <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9568>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** Cataloging Photos And Storing Them On The Computer <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9567>
by Charles Maurer, TidBITS
There is no way to index images. To find pictures by their content requires (1) describing the content in words and (2) attaching descriptions to images. Both requisites sound simpler than I have found either of them to be.

**** Will Online Ads Come Out Ahead After Recession? <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9920573-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

**** Laughing Baby Vs. The YouTube Commenters <http://www.slate.com/id/2189281/?from=rss>
by Michael Agger, Slate
In our time, internet commenting has become its own special form of social idiocy.

**** A Drought In Australia, A Global Shortage Of Rice <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/business/worldbusiness/17warm.html?ex=1366084800&en=106e2b6d901fcbc2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Keith Bradsher, New York Times
Ten thousand miles separate the mill's hushed rows of oversized silos and sheds &mdash; beige, gray and now empty &mdash; fromt he riotous streets of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, but a widening global crisis unites them.

**** Heroines In The Footlights, From All Sides Now <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/books/17masl.html?_r=1&ex=1366084800&en=9f5f4991c3cceb59&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Janet Maslin, New York Times
There is something irritating about the very premise of "Girls Like Us," Sheila Weller's three-headed biography of legendary singer-songwriters. But "Girls Like Us" turns out to be unexpectedly captivating. And it defies expectations, to the point where Ms. Weller's grand ambitions wind up fulfilled.

**** PM Lee Positive About Proposal To Link Up Singapore, JB Urban Rails <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/342049/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has responded positively to a suggestion by Johor's chief minister Abdul Ghani Othman to link up the urban rails of Singapore and Johor Bahru.

**** President Nathan, MM Lee To Attend Beijing Olympics <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_228212.html>
by Straits Times
/So, is Singapore sort-of making a political statement by not having the head of state at the opening ceremony?/

**** Asia Optimistic About Economy, But Not About Hiring <http://computerworld.com.my/ShowPage.aspx?pagetype=2&articleid=8085&pubid=4&issueid=133>
by Zafar Anjum, Computerwold Malaysia
In Singapore, the Information Technology and Telecom sector is in the top three least optimistic industries, right after healthcare and life sciences, and manufacturing.
58 per cent of respondents in Singapore (across all sectors) say that a recesion would affect their hiring plans, a much higher figure than for any other market surveyed in Asia.

**** Where Are The Potential Prime Ministers? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=167>
by Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net
In Singapore nobody is taught from young to covet the job. The political climate here does not allow anyone to covet the job.
/I don't think it is difficult to find a prime minister for Singapore. The problem &mdash; and "problem" may be too strong a word &mdash; is that PAP have difficulty finding a prime minister. PAP lives in a small echo chamber./

**** Pork From Malaysia? Not Before 2011 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_228045.html>
by Jermyn Chow, Straits Times
Sarawak yet to make official application but it will take three years to resettle pig farmers in new, $30m centralised farm.

**** Rice Or Soylent Green? A Singaporean Journalist's View <http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2008/04/rice-or-soylent-green-singaporean.html>
by The Boy Who Knew Too Much
"Soylent Green is people!"

**** Singapore An Expensive City To Rent A Three-Room Apartment <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=327275>
by Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama
Singapoer has been ranked as the 9th most expensive location in the world when it comes to renting a three-bedroom apartment, according to a global survey.

**** NC16 Rating For Film On Speakers' Corner Protest <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/248851.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
When asked what was the difference betwen Singapore Rebel and Speakers Cornered, the Board of Film Censors replied: "Party political films are prohibited under the Films Act; there is no change in the legislation."
See Also:
Speakers Cornered Has Been Approved With A Rating Of NC-16 <http://rachelabsinthe.multiply.com/journal/item/254/Speakers_Cornered_has_been_approved_with_a_rating_of_NC-16>, by Princess From The Planet Of Venupitarius. Seriously, this is a film that every Singaporean should watch.
Stuffs Happenin Here <http://www.tanpinpin.com/wordpress/?p=345>, by Tan Pin Pin, Notes From Serangoon Road. In fact, I encourage schools to show it as part of National Education.

**** IP Rivals, North And South <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/248875.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
A year before Singapore's first Integrated Resort (IR) at Marina Bay is due to open, potential competition is already brewing to the immediate north and south.

**** Why Aren't Confidential Recommendation Letters Confidential? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,162242,00.html?>
by Liew Hanqing, New Paper
Students applying for undergraduate scholarships fromt he Nanyang Technological University (NTU) were told to submit scanned copies of their teachers' recommendations electronically, together with their scholarship applications.
This will mean students can read whatever their teachers had to say about them before they submit their applications.

**** No Matchbox Please - We Want Fresh Air <http://quachee.blogspot.com/2008/04/its-in-morning-and-sun-is-not-out-yet.html>
by Quachee's Blog
I know I've painted a 'gloomy' picture on it, but I just want to show why some Singaporeans are leaving the country for more fresh air and open spaces.

**** Singapore Telcos Won't Feel Pinch Of Mobile Number Portability Churn Rate <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/341841/1/.html>
by Rachel Kelly, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore telcos said they are ready and waiting to take on full number portability.
While some market watchers will be keen to see how many users actually make the switch, others said the market may see smaller players entering the fray.
/I doubt we will see new players entering the rather saturated mobile phone market &mdash; although, well, the 7-year-old kids aren't carrying mobile phones yet. However, I do see the emergence of "superstar mobile phones" that telcos will use to entice customers, starting with the iPhone in, if the rumors are right, September./
See Also:
Who Wins In Numbers Game? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/248862.asp>, by Hedirman Supian.

**** Free Press Vital To Singapore's Survival <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/17/free-press-vital-to-spores-survival/>
by Lee Weijia, theonlinecitizen
Without newspapers pushing for transparency and accountability, and helping citizens make informed decision, the possibility of corruption in all areas of society increases.

**** Voting With The Feet Is Worse Than Voting For The Other Side <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2008/04/voting-with-feet-is-worse-than-voting.html>
by Huang Shoou Chyuan, nofearSingapore
A political structure that leaves little room for alternative paths and views is "regulated and stifling".