[MyAppleMenu] Sep 14, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 14 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Apple Posts Details On $100 iPhone Credit <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/14/apple-posts-details-on-100-iphone-credit>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** A Bite-Size Player For Bite-Size Video <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2182997,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000585>
by Tim Bajarin, PC Magazine
I believe that mobile entertainment users will eventually have an insatiable appetite for media snacking. So, the challenge for content providers will be to create short-form content that tells good stories, provides good entertainment value, and devliers concise messages.

**** Is The iPod (Gasp) Doomed? <http://blogs.reuters.com/2007/09/14/is-the-ipod-gasp-doomed/>
by Franklin Paul, Reuters
In a strongly worded report, Brion Feinberg, an analyst at The Diffusion Group, says that mobile phones will rapidly rise as an option for consumers desiring media-on-the-go, eventually supplanting the iPod and all hardware based music devices.

**** Will iPhone Kill iPod, Or Touch Slow iPhone Sales? <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19106>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Analysts are beginning to question the future of the iPod range itself, noting that convergent technologies suggest in future consumers will prefer an all-in-one device.

**** iPod Classic Exhibit Random Crashes, Lockups <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-classics-exhibit-random-crashes-lockups/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** From iPhone To gPhone? <http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9803924>
by The Economist
Silicon Valley is causing a stir in the wireless industry.

**** Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.1, Nisus Writer Express 3 Released <http://www.macminute.com/2007/09/14/nisus-writer/>
by MacMinute

**** Ten Things You Need To Know About iPod Touch <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-ipod-touch/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge
Disk Mode is gone.

**** iMac Software Update 1.1 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/14/imac-software-update-1-1/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Apple - I Get It! <http://www.jessestay.com/articles/2007/09/13/apple-i-get-it/>
by Stay N' Alive
Apple /knew/ people wold complain about being locked into one provider. The thing most people are neglecting is that Apple /knows/ their customers. THey knew developers would soon hack the OS.

**** A Baffling New Phenomenon: Customized Ringtones <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/technology/circuits/13pogue-email.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by David Pogue, New York Times
It just makes no sense.

**** O2 Finds Apple Revenue-Sharing To Its Taste <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article2441745.ece>
by Elizabeth Judge, The Times
O2, the mobile phone company, laid the groundwork yesterday for an announcement of a tie-up with Apple to sell the US firm's iPhone handset.
Peter Erskine, the O2 chief executive, defended Apple's insistence that it receives a share of revenues from calls made on iPhones.

**** Year-Old QuickTime Bug Gives Hackers New Drive-By Attack <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9036418&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
A year-old bug in QuickTime that, when paired with Firefox, allows hackers to hijack PCs and Macs now has Mozilla Corp. scrambling for a fix, the company's chief security officer said yesterday.

**** The Ghost In My FileVault <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9176>
by Rich Mogull, TidBITS
After more reboots and some experimentation I realized that there was something wrong with my FileVault. Normally when FileVault fails, it fails hard, corrupting the encrypted data and destroying your home directory. My case was something... different... and supported my theories of the supernatural.

**** The Ringtones Racket <http://daringfireball.net/2007/09/the_ringtones_racket>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Faced with the choice between doing what's right for customers or charging them money for something they shouldn't need to pay for, Apple chose the latter.

**** iPod Touch Features Guide Available <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/13/ipod-touch-features-guide-available>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica

**** ConceptDraw Project 4 Ships <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/13/conceptdraw.project.4/>
by MacNN

**** Mac Market Share Rising At Cornell University <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9177>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
One way or another, Apple's market share among Cornell students connecting to ResNet has increased from 5 percent in 2002 to 21 percent in 2007. Clearly, Apple is back in higher education, at least in this little corner of the world.

**** iPod Touch Shipping, Unboxing Photos On Flickr <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-touch-shipping-unboxing-photos-on-flickr/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge
The iPod touch is now available at some Apple Stores.

**** Apple iPod Touch <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2179701,00.asp>
by Tim Gideon, PC Magazine
At $300 and $400 for 8 and 16 GB, respecitvely, these are not cheap devices, espeically considering the storage limitations. Still, factor in the slick interface, elegant web browser, the beautiful glass display, the seamless integration of the WiFi music store, and the iPod touch is worth the price. No portable media player has ever done this much so easily, or looked so good doing it.

**** Google Calls For Global Online Privacy Standard <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/14/Google-calls-for-global-online-privacy-standard_1.html>
by Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service
Google will propose at UN meeting that governments and technology companies collaborate to address privacy concerns over the handling of personal data on the net.

**** Web Ad Blocking May Not Be (Entirely) Legal <http://www.news.com/Web+ad+blocking+may+not+be+entirely+legal/2100-1030_3-6207936.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Anne Broache and Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com

**** Wanted: I.T. Experts (No Adults, Please) <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/fashion/13Cyber.html>
by Michelle Slatalla, New York Times
My friend Jennifer called last week with a problem. Nobody in her household could figure out how to deocrate her daughter's igloo.

**** Members Only <http://www.observer.com/2007/members-only>
by Sara Vilkomerson, New York Observer
Ask and ye shall receive! Slowly but surely a seismic shift is occuring across the entertainment landscape: men are dropping trou, and penises and testicles are seemingly everywhere, flapping in the breeze.

**** Confessions Of A Community Theater Critic <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article09110701.aspx>
by John Barry, The Smart Set
This is not a gig for the weak of heart. It's for the eternal optimist, the dead-end journalist who doesn't believe in dead ends. It's for the tolerant, the cheerful, the brave and gratuitously creative. It's a job for someone who doesn't have a lot to do on weekends.

**** Visit To Singapore 2 <http://ltsblogs.org.uk/laurieodonnell/?p=58>
by Laurie O'Donnell

**** Annuity Concept Must Be Discussed Before Industry Develops Plans <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/299866/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The concept of an annuity needs to be discussed further before the industry can come up with specific plans, according to the minister in charge of ageing issues, Lim Boon Heng.

**** Circle Line To Exceed Original Budget Of $6.8B <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/299825/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
The Circle Line MRT project will exceed its projected $6.8 billion budget. But this iincrease is unlikely to be more than 10 percent of the original cost, according to the Land Transport Authority's estimate.

**** Despite Profits, Zoo Gets $1M Handout From Charity Fund. Company Says: Money Used For Research, Conservation <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,141682,00.html>
by Teh Jen Lee, New Paper
The Singapore Zoo and Night Safari have made millions of dollars in profits over the past three years, according to their financial records. They also receive grants from the government and sponsorship money from private corporations.
So why does parent company Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS) still accept funds from a charity for research and the care of its animals?

**** Singapore Defense Pact WIth RI In Limbo <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20070914.H06&irec=6>
by Jakarta Post
Defense minister Juwono Sudarsono said Thursday that Indonesia and Singapore had not yet reached a final agreement on the defense pact.

**** Disneyland With The Death Penalty <http://danziggy.blogspot.com/2007/09/disneyland-with-death-penalty.html>
by Ziggy's Asian Adventures
With all these lack of freedoms SIngaporeans are happy. They are willing to sacrifice their freedom in order to have security and safety. In a debate in one of my classes they simply did not understand the importance of freedom.

**** NUS Board Backs Down On New S/U Policy Under Students' Pressure <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/nus-board-backs-down-on-new-su-policy-under-students-pressure.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
I have heard much from my friends who went to overseas universities that at those institutions, student opinions are taken seriously, and studnets are given much more respect than here in NUS.

**** Blog Not Meant For His Students <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,141783,00.html?>
by Liew Hanqing, New Paper

**** How About Giving Teachers Fixed Annual Leave? <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,141809,00.html?>
by Santokh Singh, New Paper
We should respect teachers' right to a well-deserved break and not be at the beck and call of their employer.

**** Destination Singapore <http://librarydust.typepad.com/library_dust/2007/09/destination-sin.html>
by Michael McGroty, Library Dust
In response to recent posts, some persons have asked, "Well, what would be an example of a /truly progressive/ public library system?" Well, the answer, at least in my opinion, is that you won't find it in North America or in Europe, though some are tending in that direction. To find the library of the future, you've got to go to Singapore.

**** Singapore To Buy US Rocket Artillery System <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_157708.html>
by David Boey, Straits Times

**** Problems Are Of Class Or Income Group. Not Racial <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_157737.html>
by Muhammad Shamil Zainuddin, Straits Times
Are we moving backwards in our effort to be a harmonious multiracial society when we demarcate ourselves along communal lines?

**** The End Of Tang Dynasty? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/211141.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
The forlorn silence at the Tang Dynasty City in Jurong could, come January, be replaced by the rumblings of bulldozers.