[MyAppleMenu] Sep 13, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 13 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** iPhoto 7 Fills Glaring Holes <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9179>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Apple To Host UK Special Event 18/9 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/13/apple-to-host-uk-special-event-18-9/>
by Nik Fletcher, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Apple has announced an invite-only event to be held next Tuesday morning (18th September) at London's Regent Street Apple Store. The event invite is simply headed with the tagline "Mum is no longer the word."
See Also:
Apple Faces European iPhone Challenges <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19091>, by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK. iPhone success in Europe may not be a walk in the park, an anlyst warns.

**** Apple, AT&amp;T: Bosom Buddies Or Odd Couple? <http://www.news.com/Apple%2C+ATT+Bosom+buddies+or+odd+couple/2100-1041_3-6207628.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com
AT&amp;T is straddling a precarious line between partnering and competing with Apple in the mobile music market.

**** Apple Vs. The Media World <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2181730,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000585>
by Lance Ulanoff, PC Magazine
Apple may not realize it, but it's entering a holy war of media rights and sales and ownership disputes. Companies like NBC are clearly looking to hit Apple where it hurts by breaking its stranglehold on the portable-content business.

**** Will iLife iWork For You? <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070912.wgtkaplab0913/BNStory/Technology/columnists>
by Jack Kapica, Globe And Mail

**** Third&mdash;Generation iPod Nano <http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2007/09/3gipodnano/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Playlist
The increased use of album art and previews throughout the new iPod's interface makes for a better visual experience, but it's not without drawbacks. Overall menu navigation feels a bit slower than that of previous iPods, and the performance of the Albums listing is noticeably slower due to the fact that album art has to be loaded as you're scrolling. When I disabled the transfer of album art to the iPod and re-synced with iTunes, the nano's menus felt zippier.

**** Me, Mac And "I" <http://www.jpierre.com/node/489>
by JPierre's Blog
It's simple and it works &mdash; just how I like.

**** Which One Is Better, iPhone Or The Windows Smartphone? <http://dotnet.sys-con.com/read/427727.htm>
by Alexander Falk, .Net Developer's Journal
Even though the Windows Smartphone has some technological advantages, the iPhone wins this comparison easily with the best UI design I've ever seen on a mobile phone.

**** Has The iPhone Fanboy Well Dried Up? <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9776901-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
Apple played us all and did so without reservatio. It knew its installed base would support it through thick and thin and realized that a $600 price tag meant nothing if they could own another Apple product.
And now, Apple has come back down to Earth to appeal to the average consumer. The fanboy well has dried up&mdash;it's time to attract new members.

**** Why No Fries With The iPod Touch? <http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/why-no-fries-with-the-ipod-touch/>
by Chris Howard, Apple Matters
The more I find out about the touch, the more I lose interest in it.
/I'm in a similar mode myself. For the iPod touch, I have gone from "searching for reasons why I shouldn't buy" to "searching for reasons why I should buy."/

**** Are Technology Limits In MP3s And iPods Ruining Pop Music? <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118953936892024096.html>
by Lee Gomes, Wall Street Journal
Those who work behind-the-mic in the music industry &mdash; producers, engineers, mixers and the like &mdash; say they increasingly assume their recordings will be heard as MP3s on an iPod music player. That combination is thus becoming the "reference platform" used as a test of how a track should sound.
But because both compressed music and the iPod's relatively low-quality earbuds have many limitations, music producers fret that they are engineering music to a technical lowest common denominator.

**** Why IT Shouldn't Ignore The iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/12/iphone_it/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Keith Shaw, Network World
Web browsing on a mobile device that works.

**** It's Official: Apple's Stupidest Interface Innovation Ever <http://www.mcelhearn.com/article.php?story=20070912232645763>
by Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville
Please, Mr Jobs, give me back my iPod screen. I'll pay you for a way to remove this hideous feature.

**** AT&amp;T Ad Signals iPhone Trouble? <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/09/att-ad-signals-.html>
by David Becker, Wired

**** Unsanity Releases ShapeShifter 2.5 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/09/12/shapeshifter/>
by MacMinute

**** The Surprisingly Watchable iPod Nano <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/09/ipodnano/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Miller, Macworld
The nano's 2-inch screen was surprisingly watchable.

**** iTunes Users Experience Downloading Issues <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/itunes-users-experience-downloading-issues/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** The Continuing Quest For A Data-Only iPhone <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/12/the-continuing-quest-for-a-data-only-iphone/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Apple iPod Nano (Third Generation, 8GB, Black) <http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-players-pvps/apple-ipod-nano-third/4505-6499_7-32595954.html?tag=txt>
by Donald Bell, CNET
Apple's new iPod nano seems to be drawing equal amounts of ire and admiration. Although we miss the slender form of the second-generation nano, we feel the latest edition has more going for it than against it. At less than $200, the nano offers one of the richest user experiences we've seen on an MP3 player.

**** Making Over The iPod Family (Again) <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/technology/circuits/13pogue.html?ex=1347336000&en=9108f7fab44db93d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by David Pogue, New York Times
The Apple scalpel may have slipped when it excised the volume buttons <on iPod touch>, which could be considered important controls on a music player. THe only way to pause, change songs or adjust the volume is to take the iPod out of your pocket and use two hands to summon the on-screen controls.

**** Want To 'Converse' With Advertisers? Me Neither <http://www.news.com/Want+to+converse+with+advertisers+Me+neither/2100-1024_3-6207642.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Elinor Mills, CNET News.com

**** Restaurant Critics Are Blowing Their Own Covers <http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/food/la-fo-dish12sep12,1,136047,full.story>
by Regina Schrambling, Los Angeles Times
When any human being is searchable online not just verbally but visually, how can a critic possibly hope to retain anonymity long enough to give a restaurant a fair evaluation? Throw blogs into the mix and it's a mashup of Facebook and a masquerade ball.

**** Cisco Renamed Certis Cisco <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_157598.html>
by Khushwant Singh, Straits Times

**** Singaporeans Worry About High-Tech Crimes <http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0,39044215,62032187,00.htm>
by Lynn Tan, ZDNet Asia

**** Coming Out Entry <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/165975.html>
by Mollymeek
TO say that gays have no need to come out (and therefore should not) isn't just a simple matter of asking them not to flaunt the facts about their sexuality. It is not just a matter of needing people ot know because people assume and expect you to be straight until you come out.

**** Temasek Gives Up Fight For LSE Stake <http://www.thebusiness.co.uk/news-and-analysis/163526/temasek-gives-up-fight-for-lse-stake.thtml>
by The Busienss
Temasek's indicative bid is said to be way below price levels being offered by other potential buyers.

**** Understanding Pay Differences: Armed Forces Vs Civil Service <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/09/understanding-pay-differences-armed.html>
by Urbanrant

**** Ex-NKF Chairman Richard Yong Convicted On 3 Criminal Charges <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/STIStory_157559.html>
by Chong Chee Kin, Straits Times
Former National Kidney Founation (NKF) chairman Richard Yong pleaded guilty to two charges under the Bankruptcy Act and another charge of fraudulently transfering his bank accounts to his wife.

**** Employers Must Buy Medical Insurance For Foreign Workers <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_157558.html>
by Straits Times
Employers of foreign workers and maids will need to buy medical insurance for them starting next year, when hospitalisation subsidies for foreigners will end.

**** Bravo! Otto. <http://bacts.blogspot.com/2007/09/bravo-otto.html>
by Too Free So I Blog

**** Legislation Of The Virtual World <http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2007/09/legislation-of-virtual-world.html>
by The Kway Teow Man
Not being able to effectively prosecute is one thing. Not seeming to understand that virtual objects do have value and is deserving of legal protection is another.

**** PM Abe's Resignation: More Lessons From The Land Of The Rising Sun <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2007/09/pm-abes-resignation-more-lessons-from.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
Voters are the same in Japan, Singapore and anywhere else. Bread-and-butter issues will always take percedence over international affairs or idealogical pursuits, no matter what the merits of the latter are.
Is it any wonder then that Dr Chee Soon Juan and his ilk are finding it so hard to get support from mainstream Singaporeans?

**** Earthquake In Indonesia, Tremors In Singapore <http://leafmonkey.blogspot.com/2007/09/earthquake-in-indonesia-tremors-in.html>
by Midnight Monkey Monitor
This is truly a classic case of the beauty of web 2.0 connectivity.

**** More Consumers With Two Or More Property Loans Now <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_157496.html>
by Joyce Teo, Straits Times
Amid Singapore's property boom, the number of investors with two or more property loans shot up by 64 per cent in June from a year earlier.

**** When Will National Stadium Really Close? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_157456.html>
by Tan Shao Ken, Straits Times
Is the FAS taking people for a ride?