[MyAppleMenu] Sep 12, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 12 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Apple Unveils Logic Studio <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/12/logic/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple has unveiled Logic Studio, a new suite of applications designed for audio professionals that includes Logic Pro 8 and a new application called MainStage. Logic Studio also includes Soundtrack 2, as well as a variety of instruments and effects.

**** Slashing iPhone Price By 33% Equals 300% Jump In Daily Sales <http://informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/09/slashing_iphone.html>
by Eric Zeman, InformationWeek
According to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, sales of the iPHone have climbed from 9,000 per day at the $600 price point to 27,000 per day at $400 a pop. But can the iPhone keep it up?

**** ImageMixer 3 Mac Edition Debuts <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19075>
by Macworld UK
Japanese developer Pixela Corporation has released ImageMixer 3 Mac Edition, simple to use software for creating DVDs from camcorders using a Mac.

**** 27,000 iPhone Sales Daily <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19078>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
iSuppli has made an about turn on its previous claims that the iPhone was July's biggest-selling smartphone with 1.8 per cent of the US market.
The reseachers insist that the device was the biggest-selling model in the consumer retail market, but issued a clarification to clients last night in which it pointed out that BlackBerry sales actually surpassed those of the iPhone, when corporate and enterprise sales are taken into account.

**** Why Some Apple Fans Won't Buy The iPhone <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118954864913424277.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Joseph De Avila, Wall Street Journal
Despite strong sales overall, some potential buyers &mdash; even Apple devotees &mdash; say the gadget still has too many drawbacks.

**** Quicktime: We Own Your Desktop <http://www.wordyard.com/2007/09/11/quicktime/>
by Scott Rosenberg, Wordyard
How rude is it to overwrite a user's preferences and force the reappearance of an annoying icon that you've already ordered the program to suppress?

**** Ways In Which iTunes' Just-Released Official Ringtone Support Is Weird, Rude, And/Or Just Plain Buggy <http://daringfireball.net/2007/09/weird_rude_buggy>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Think about how weaselly this wording is. It's like a politician who's asked a pointed question about topic A, and responds with a non sequitur talking point regarding topic B.

**** Rogue Amoeba Releases Free Ringtone Maker <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/11/rogue-amoeba-releases-free-ringtone-maker/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** iWeb A Gerat Tool For Quickly Creating An Attractive Website <http://lowendmac.com/lab/mlr07/0911.html>
by Jeff Adkins, Low End Mac
iWeb is obviously not as sophisticated as Dreamweaver, but it may be good enough for the causal site-builder.

**** Six Apart Announces TypePad For iPhone, iPod Touch <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/six-apart-announces-typepad-for-iphone-ipod-touch/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** iPhone Hackers Create Open Source Unlock <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/11/iphone-hackers-create-open-source-unlock/>
by Mike Schramm, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Rogers Says Canadians May Have To Wait For iPhone <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aA35GMJoWl3o&refer=canada>
by Chris Fournier, Bloomberg
Rogers Communications Inc., operator of the only wireless network in Canada that uses the same technology as Apple Inc.'s iPhone, said consumers may have to a while to wait before the handset goes on sale there.
While Rogers would "love" to sell the device, Apple hasn't set a release date in Canada, Rogers chief operating officer Nadir Mohamed said at a conference in Toronto today.

**** The Continuing iPod Wow <http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/09/ipodwow/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
I was reminded that the iPod still has the power to impress while on a recent cross-country flight.

**** The iPod Of Phones <http://www.macworld.com/2007/09/opinion/october07spotlight/index.php>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
The iPhone is every bit as revolutionary as the iPod was. Not in terms of the features it offers, but in how it offers them&mdash;its ease of use, innovative user interface, slick integration with iTunes, and way of making features that go unused on other phones useful.

**** Analysts: Apple Network Doesn't Make Much Sense <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/11/Apple-network-doesnt-make-sense_1.html>
by Nancy Gohring, IDG News Service

**** Apple's Joswiak: We Don't Hate iPhone Coders <http://www.gearlog.com/2007/09/apples_joswiak_we_dont_hate_ip.php>
by Gearlog
Apple will neither forbid /nor support/ native code on the iPhone/Touch. They will not design software updates specifically to break native apps, but if the updates happen to break native apps or your native apps turn your iPhone into a rutabaga, don't go crying to Apple, 'case it ain't their problem. Capiche?

**** Apple Updates QuickTime, Keyboard Software <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/11/apple.issues.two.updates/>
by MacNN

**** The Last Beatles Article I Will Ever Write <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/09/beatles/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
Well, I'm through with it. Maybe the Beatles will show up on iTunes before I'm a toothless old man as Steve Jobs insists they will, maybe they won't, but I'm done with all the tea-leaf reading and veiled hints and winks.

**** Adobe Reflects On 25 Years, Looks To The Future <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/11/adobe/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Adobe is looking to the online world for many of its future features. Leveraging services, in both its consumer and pro level applications, is the next big challenge for the company.
"I think it will be a critical component going forward," said John Loiacano, senior vice president of Adobe's creative solutions business unit. "It's not going to be a replacement for our applications, but I do see that new types of features will be augmentation services based online."
See Also:
Adobe's World <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/11/adobe25/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>, by Pamela Pfiffner, Macworld. As Adobe Systems celebrates its 25th anniversary, it's important to recognize how much Adobe is responsible for the way we communicate today.
Adobe's DNA Is Part Of Apple <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/11/adobeandapple/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>, by Rick LePage, Macworld. With this newfound competition, it's hard to tell right now how it will all turn out in the end, but the funny thing is that Apple and Adobe are as intertwined today as they were when the LaserWriter debuted.

**** First Look: iTunes 7.4 And iPhone Ringtones <http://www.macworld.com/2007/09/firstlooks/itunes_iphone_ringtones/index.php>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
Making ringtones may be a snap, but there are substantial limitations, mostly regarding what music you can or cannot make into ringtones.

**** What Is News To John Q. Public? <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9776652-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Elinor Mills, CNET News.com

**** The Graying Of The Web <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/12/technology/12social.html?ex=1347249600&en=437a4c71f256da39&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Matt Richtel, New York Times
Technology investors and entrepreneurs, long obsessed with connecting to teenagers and 20-somethings, are starting a host of new social networking sites aimed at baby boomers and graying computer users.

**** For Networks, Thin Is In <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/12/technology/techspecial/12thin.html?ex=1347249600&en=fba1eb6b153e041d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
Several forces are rekindling the interest in thin clients, money being the most obvious.

**** Mobile Advertising Prepares For Takeoff <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/11/Mobile-advertising-prepares-for-takeoff_1.html>
by Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service

**** Microsoft Patents Watermark Technology That May Lock Down DRM-Free Music <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/11/Microsoft-patents-watermark-that-may-protect-DRM-free-music_1.html>
by Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service
The technology, called "stealthy audio watermarking," inserts and detects watermarks in audio signals that can identify the content producer, "providing a signature that is embedded in the audio signal and cannot be removed," according to a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trade Organization.

**** A Lost Art: Instilling Respect <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/10/AR2007091001174.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Patricia Dalton, Washington Post
There's been a fundamental change in family life, and it has played out over the years in my office. Teachers, pediatricians and therapists like me are seeing children of all ages who are not afraid of their parents. Not one bit. Not of their power, not of their position, not of their ability to apply standards and enforce consequences.

**** After The Last Intellectual <http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/014_03/833>
by Scott Mclemee, Bookforum.com
Twenty years ago this fall, Russell Jacoby's /The Last Intellectuals: American Culture in the Age of Academe/ mourned the death of the freelance thinker and examined its fresh corpse. But did we misread Jacoby's autopsy?

**** To Burundi And Beyond For Coffee's Holy Grail <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/12/dining/12coff.html?ex=1347249600&en=8f55711e4bf37123&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Peter Meehan, New York Times
Mr Sorenson and a few like-minded coffee hunters around the country will go almost anywhere, do almost anything and pay almost any price in pursuit of the perfect cup of coffee.

**** SIngapore Buildings Sway From Strong Quake Hits Indonesia <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/299419/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Singapore buildings swayed after an earthquake measuring 7.9 hit Indonesia on Wednesday evening.

**** 377A: The Impending Lacuna <http://magnezium.blogspot.com/2007/09/377a-impending-lacuna.html>
by Musings

**** Singapore's Education System To Focus On Producing More Global Players <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/299371/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

**** Election Regulatoins Vs Social Networking <http://singaporemedia.blogspot.com/2007/09/election-regulations-vs-social.html>
by Cherian George, Singapore: New Media, Politics &amp; The Law
Of course, everyone, including the regulators, knew that the 2001 regulations would rendered redundant by evolving technologies. The question now is whether the government will try to cover social networking in the next round of regulatory innovation, or if it will retreat.

**** Mr Otto Fong Comes Out In An Open Letter <http://jeeleong.blogspot.com/2007/09/mr-otto-fong-comes-out-in-open-letter.html>
by Song Of A Reformed Headhunter

>From the many glowing testimonies of Mr. Fong's ex-studnets, it is clear that Mr. Fong is a dedicated and skilful teacher. His open letter says more: he has immense personal integrity.

**** More Expensive To Travel By Bus Than Train <http://sgtransport.blogspot.com/2007/09/more-expensive-to-travel-by-bus-than.html>
by Daniel Chin, Singapore's Land Transport
If you're travelling a distance less than about 12km, it is cheaper to travel by train than bus.

**** This Man Is A Hero <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/09/this-man-is-hero.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
He has plenty of guts. Or is in a position where he will need them. So I wish him all the very best.

**** Singapore And IDR Are Access Points To ASEAN: Malaysian PM <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/299234/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore and the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) in Johor are "the cosmopolitan access points to ASEAN as well as the crossroad between India and China," says Malaysian prime minister Abdullah Badawi.

**** Casualties Of A Progress That Isn't <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/165772.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Otto Fong And To Kill A Mocking Bird <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2007/09/11/otto-fong-and-to-kill-a-mocking-bird/>
by Ned Stark, Winter Is Coming
There comes a point in time when society needs to take the baby step. As the Chinese saying goes, "a journey of a thousand miles starts with a few steps". And in this case the baby step would be the repeal of Section 377A. And that is that.

**** What Happened To My Teacher's Day Break? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,141607,00.html?>
by Veena Bharwani, New Paper
Holiday falls on weekend so some teachers told to take a day off the next Monday; but term already over by following week.

**** Special Needs School Raised Fees By 100% <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_157099.html>
by Anne Ng Sar Moy, Straits Times

**** This Reality Check Keeps Train Fares Level <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/210663.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
It is the first time a public transport opeator's application to up fares has been turned down under the fare formula that was revised in 2005.
Since 2003, SMRT's Return on Total Assets (Rota) &mdash; which measures what it earns in relation to all the assets it employs &mdash; has grown from 5.1 per cent to 11.4 per cent. And, as last year's figure exceeds the 4-to-9.7-per-cent range of companies surveyed, such as Hong Kong's MTR and Singapore Airlines, the PTC decided that rail fares be unchanged, for "the benefit of consumers."