[MyAppleMenu] Sep 15, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 15 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Why Does AT&amp;T Need My Social Security Number To Connect My iPhone? <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-huffington/why-does-att-need-my-soc_b_64526.html>
by Michael Huffington, Huffington Post
Please no more high tech presents from anyone at my next birthday party. Just give me a good old fashioned book. In the time it took me to try and get phone service I could have read the last Harry Potter novel... and had a lot more fun.

**** How To Profit From Scarcity <http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5776.html>
by John Quelch, Harvard Business School
As the mountains of press coverage and strong opening day sales attest, the scarcity illusion strategy paid off for Apple and Potter's publishing company.

**** Targeting New iMovies Users Risks Alienating Existing Users <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003885401_ptmacc15.html?syndication=rss>
by Jeff Carlson, Seattle Times
Is it unfair to existing users? Yes. But will Apple gain more new users and spur people to take another shot at editing their stored footage? I think so.

**** Does Your iPod Touch Hiss At You? <http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005428.html>
by Eric Dahl, PC World
The first thing I noticed was a bigg hiss through the headphones after I plugged in my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros. Nothing playing, even &mdash; just the noise of the device while it's turned on.

**** Apple Cuts Us Off <http://ipodminusitunes.blogspot.com/2007/09/apple-cuts-us-off.html>
by ipodminusitunes
At the very start of the database, a couple of what appears to be SHA1 hashes have been inserted which appears to lock the iTunes database to one particular iPod and prevent any modfiication of the database file.
/As a result, alternatives to iTunes &mdash; mainly on Linux and Windows &mdash; cannot reverse-engineer the sync process anymore./

**** iPhone $100 Credit Can Be Used For iTunes Gift Cards <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/15/iphone-100-credit-can-be-used-for-itunes-gift-cards/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Macs On The Network, Time To Panic? <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/14/network_mac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by John Brandon, Computerworld
As the consumer market begins to meld with the corporate world even more, and employees expect to use their preferred gadget (and operating system) for work and home life, the Mac could make inroads at large corporations.

**** 80GB And 160GB iPod Classic <http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2007/09/ipodclassic/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
Yes, size matters. Although the new iPod nano ahs a bright, crisp screen, the classic's extr ahalf-inch of diagonal screen real-estate makes a difference.

**** The Designer As CEO: An Open Letter To Apple's Board <http://www.bplusd.org/2007/09/14/the-designer-as-ceo-an-open-letter-to-apples-board/>
by Jess McMullin, bplusd
Jonathan Ive should be Apple's next CEO.

**** A Week With The New iPod Nano <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/14/a-week-with-the-new-ipod-nano/>
by Nik Fletcher, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
It makes video truly portable, and truly affordable.

**** iPod Touch: Hands-On Impressions <http://playlistmag.com/features/2007/09/ipod_touch_hands_on/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
Among the first things I tried to do after unpacking my iPod touch was to runt he AppTapp iPhone installer hack. It didn't work.

**** To-Do Lists Get Funky With LifeShaker <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/14/to-do-lists-get-funky-with-lifeshaker/>
by Mat Lu, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
LifeShaker is an interesting take on to-do organizing. You can "shake" your grid to re-arrange your goals (presumably as a self-motivation).

**** SCO Seeks Bankruptcy Protection <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/14/SCO-seeks-bankruptcy-protection_1.html>
by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service

**** A Life Less Ordinary <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/books/review/Marshall-t.html?ex=1347595200&en=ede4b3416f94d89b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Megan Marshall, New York Times
In "The Ordeal of Elizabeth Marsh," Linda Colley has written a biography that tests all common notions about the genre.

**** A Scholar's Paris <http://chronicle.com/temp/email2.php?id=StjGzrrbJg8xrFxHxHBBvbkD8tPTtdxb>
by Alice Kaplan, The Chronicle Of Higher Education
For some people Paris is a fashion show or a gourmet meal or a museum. For me and for my colleagues in French studies, it's a library where we wander aong the stacks, a fantasy captured by the French architect Dominique Perrault in his design for the new French National Library: four buildings in the shape of open books, towering over the River Seine.

**** New York Local <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/03/070903fa_fact_gopnik?printable=true>
by Adam Gopnik, New Yorker
Eating the fruits of the five boroughs.

**** Asean Countries Learn The Hard Way <http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/09/15/opinion/opinion_30049054.php>
by Pavin Chachavalpongpun, The Nation
Do Singapore's technological and scientific achievements have anything to do with the narrowing of the present educational gap in Asean?

**** Getting Message Across <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/9/15/columnists/insightdownsouth/18882240&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
In a country where public protests and demonstrations need police permits, young Singaporeans are finding ways to get around this, without contravening the laws and confronting the authorities.

**** Rainbox Centre Fees Are Heavily Subsidised <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_158161.html>
by Lee Eng Hin, Rainbow Centre, Straits Times
Parents pay fees according to their affordability.
See Also:
Special Needs School Raised Fees By 100% <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_157099.html>, by Anne Ng Sar Moy, Straits Times.

**** 50 Years On... What Keeps Workers' Party Going <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/211345.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
How did the Workers' Party &mdash; put together by a pipe-smoking criminal lawyer called David Marshall on Nov 7 1957, to promote workers' welfare &mdash; manage not just to survive but keep its parliamentary presence for a very long 26 years?

**** 15 Town Councils Fined <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/211400.asp>
by Today
Non-residential offenders, such as Town Councils and other public agencies, face a $200 fine for mosquito-breeding in the first three instances: further offences mean an appearance in court.

**** Stone Seats <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2007/09/stone-seats.html>
by mrbrown
This is classic Town Council bozo thinking.

**** The $100 Laptop Now The $188 Laptop <http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/09/14/hundred.dollar.laptop.ap/>
by Associated Press
The vaunted "$100 laptop" that Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers dreamed up for international schoolchildren is becoming a slightly more distant concept.

**** Annuity Chicken And Egg <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2007/09/annuity-exceptions.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
My point really is that compelling people to buy into annuities is not a good idea at all. Instead, improving the attractiveness of annuity and then pursuading people to buy into annuities seems more sensible.

**** Should They Be Open About It? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,141898,00.html?>
by Liew Hanqing, New Paper
Some support teacher who outed himself on blog. Others say such personal details should be kept private.
/There are two obvious questions here. First, who else should keep quiet? Police officials? Doctors? Actors? Politicians? All of which, traditionally, can be role models of young children./
/Second, what else should these role models hide? Marital status? Religion?/
/The pandora box has been opened./

**** Singapore Building Boom Heading Towards Correction <http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007%5C09%5C15%5Cstory_15-9-2007_pg5_44>
by Reuters
Singapore's housing market, which has seen prices skyrocket amid frenzied buying, is heading for a correction, as analysts predict a building boom could flood the city-state with new homes by 2009.

**** Playing An Active Part As Singaporeans <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/15/playing-an-active-part-as-singaporeans/>
by ANdrew Ong, theonlinecitizen
Over the years, Singapore has prided itself on having an uncorrupted ruling government, but just like the NKF scandal that 'exploded' in our faces, we should never leave anything to chance.