[MyAppleMenu] Oct 24, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 24 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Invisible Children, Dream Big <http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/invisiblechildren/index.html?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple
Three guys, a video camera, and a Mac can change the world.

**** Getting Things Done With TaskPaper 1.0 <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/24/minireview-getting-things-done-with-taskpaper-1-0>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica
My feelings are that TaskPaper does pretty well at everything it does, which, by design, is not a lot.

**** Cashcow 1.0 Budget-Specific App Released <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/10/24/cashcow.10.released/>
by MacNN
Ratface Studios today released Cashcow 1.0, a personal finance application designed specifically for users looking to create budgets and track expenses.

**** Fake Steve Jobs - How Alter Ego Took Over A Portion Of Journalist's Life <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003970835_webfakestevejobs24.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
See Also:
A Moment With.. Daniel Lyons, Aka 'Fake Steve Jobs' <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/336568_fakejobs24.html>, by Todd Bishop, Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

**** Leopard Is Landing This Week-Microsoft Should Be Shaking <http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2007/10/leopard-is-land.html>
by jkOnTheRun
One of the major reasons I used to justify the purchase of a MacBook Pro early this year was how easily I could run Windows programs on the Mac using Parallels Desktop... Today I realized I haven't run Vista on the Mac in well over a month!

**** The Preemptive Switch To Dock-On-The-Left <http://shawnblanc.net/2007/switch-to-left-dock/>
by Shawn Blanc

**** It's The Peripherals, Not The PC <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2205468,00.asp>
by Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek
Apple and anlysts quietly suspect that iPods and iPhones may be selling Mcs nearly eight times faster than any major PC brand.

**** Apple's Leopard Leaked On Internet <http://www.crn.com/software/202600839>
by Jennifer Lawinski, CMP Channel
Apple's Leopard OS was leaked to the masses on file-sharing sites around the internet on Tuesday, three days before the official launch of the next-generation operating system.

**** Apple's Leopard OS Could Add Significantly To Company's Bottom Line <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138823-c,macos/article.html>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple Inc. expects Leopard to bring in US$140 million between its launch this Fridya and the end of the year, a company executive hinted Monday. That number, however, is lower than analysts' estimates.

**** Inside iPhone 1.1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/iphone111/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

**** BusySync Syncs Users' iCal Calendars <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/10/23/busysync.10.released/>
by MacNN

**** For Ailing Student iChat Means 'iCan' <http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/belaire/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple
When Christopher Laub was in the third and fourth grade,s chemotherapy treatments for his leukemia kept him out of school, feeling sick and weak. But through a close collaboration between Bel Aire Elementary School and Apple &mdash; as well as a creative use of iChat AV &mdash; Laub was bale to continue with his classes. Thanks fto the system that he dubbed "iCan," the young student remained connected to his classmates and his studies.

**** Everything's COming Up Milhouse <http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/milhouse>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The Mac has never experienced sustained growth at this sort of pace. Breaking this quarterly sales record isn't a fluke &mdash; it's part of a trend.

**** Hardware-Based Encryption Will Win In The Laptop Market <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9802700-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Jon Oltsik, CNET News.com
Software utilities are about to hit a wall called Moore's Law.

**** Microsoft To Push Functional Programming Into The Mainstream With F# <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071023-microsoft-to-push-functional-programming-into-the-mainstream-with-f.html>
by Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

**** A Complex Relationship With 'King Lear' <http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-et-kinglear24oct24,0,7235756.story?coll=cl-calendar>
by Jack Lynch, Los Angeles Times
Sadism pervades the text and the story can be confusing. Yet there is something irresistible about Shakespeare's play.

**** It Just Takes Practice <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/19/AR2007101902630.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Scott McCredie, Washington Post
Train your mind and you can train your body &mdash; to hop or dance or even perform a balancing act like this.

**** Dim Sum Dynamics: Catchy Names And Constant Creation <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/23/AR2007102300402.html?nav=rss_artsandliving/foodanddining>
by Walter Nicholls, Washington Post
Shrimp dumplings formed into swans. Green tea ball stuffed with black sesame paste. For Janet Yu, there can never be too many kinds of dim sum, Cantonese for "heart's delight."

**** Indranee Rajah On Pornography <http://magnezium.blogspot.com/2007/10/indranee-rajah-on-pornography.html>
by Mohan Gopalan, Musings
I think that comment shows how firm the conservatives are in their belief that everyone else thinks like them.

**** Malaysia In Huge Payout Over Singapore 'Crooked Bridge' <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071024/tap-malaysia-singapore-politics-bridge-0193655.html>
by AFP
Malaysia will pay 87 million dollars in compensation to a developer over last year's cancellation of a controversial 'crooked bridge' to Singapore, a financial official said Wednesday.

**** Deconstructing The Majority <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/10/24/deconstructing-the-majority/>
by Benjamin Cheah, theonlinecitizen
The Majority opinion has fallen. Outside its bigotry, it never had a real reason to oppose the repeal of Section 377A.

**** What The Heck Is The Meaning Of "Conservative"? <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/what-the-heck-is-the-meaning-of-conservative.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

**** Further Questions About Myanmar And T-Shirts <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/10/24/parliamentary-debate-further-questions-about-myanmar-and-t-shirts/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** Sexual Discriminations In The Law <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/10/sexual-discriminations-in-law.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

**** Lee Kuan Yew As Extension Of Malaysia's Racist Political Discourse <http://suara-rustam.blogspot.com/2007/10/lee-kuan-yew-as-extension-of-malaysias.html>
by Suara Rakyat
As long as leaders of the earlier generation still have commanding influence on the way we perceive our political realities of today, it is safe to predict that we will continue to be trapped within the same forms of political thinking and discourse that the earlier generation had put in place for us.

**** Are You Sure Gays Are Not Harassed? <http://singaporesundry.blogspot.com/2007/10/are-you-sure-gays-are-harassed.html>
by All And Sundry Singapore

**** Family Values In Singapore <http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/?p=1769>
by Snowflakes In Hell
What Mr. Lee failed to mention was that despite their promotion of wholesome family values, Singapore has experienced a drop in marriage rates, fertility rates, has experienced a soaring divorce rate, and is thus heading for the demographic sewer along with all the other western countries who social policies he claims have failed them.

**** If It's Not Enforced, Why Keep It? <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,145696,00.html>
by Low Ching Ling, New Paper
Is Section 377A purely symbolic?
/And to Indranee Rajah's question, which was quoted in this article, I personally do not think that distribution of pornographic material should be illegal either./

**** Tax Lines Drawn <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/218349.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
Would a business need to pay property taxes if it ran underground pipes or wires through various plots of land to serve clients?

**** Taiwan Gays Blast Singapore's Retention Of Law Against Homosexuals <http://news.monstersandcritics.com/asiapacific/news/article_1367919.php/Taiwan_gays_blast_Singapores_retention_of_law_against_homosexuals>
by DPA

**** Hiding Behind Rhetoric: A Rebuttal Of Thio Li-Ann <http://pleinelune.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/thioliann/>
by Used Brains For Sale
In this speech, you have called us perverse, radical, immoral, promiscuous, licentious, hedonist, subversive, a threat to public health, mental patients and more... ma'am, irrational hatred is not professed only by those who have insulted you.

**** A Mega Post On A Mega Topic I <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2007/10/23/a-mega-post-on-a-mega-topic-i/>
by Ned Stark, Winter Is Coming

**** Singapore Is IP Safe <http://www.computerworld.com.sg/ShowPage.aspx?pagetype=2&articleid=6785&pubid=3&tab=Home&issueid=120>
by Melissa Chua, Computerworld Singapore
A low broadband growth rate coupled with a lower level of pirated software use compared to the rest of the region appear to be key factors behind Singapore's positive showing in a recently released internet security threat report.

**** Not All Clear Skies Ahead For SIA? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/218319.asp>
by Tony Howard, Today

**** It's About The Economy, Stupid <http://statestimes.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/its-about-the-money/>
by The States Times
The yardstick, as the pragmatists would have put it, is "will the pink dollar contribute to the economy?"
/Our ministers probably have KPIs such as GDP growth and votes gathered in general election. Their bonuses depend on these KPIs. They probably don't have KPIs such as justice and equality./

**** By That Logic... <http://empty-vessels.blogspot.com/2007/10/by-that-logic.html>
by Empty_Vessels

**** On 377A Nonsense In The Reasonable Hall Of The Sensible Nation <http://dansong.blogspot.com/2007/10/on-377a-nonsense-in-reasonable-hall-of.html>
by Dansong
We should be no less a dreamer in the domain of humanity, becaue this is the base of our sensible nation.

**** Imbalanced Balance <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/169124.html>
by Mollymeek
In short, we /reserve the right/ to charge you for having gay sex and even to charge you for abetting a crime when you happen to do something as innocent as to rent your apartment to gay couple. Oh, but gays have the spac eto live, to lead their lives and pursue their social activities.
/Lee Hsien Loong has his head buried in the sand, Molly. He rather ignore the problem of unjust and go status quo. He can't hear you./

**** Diversity In Adversity... <http://singaporecritic.blogspot.com/2007/10/diversity-in-adversity.html>
by Yee-Wei Chai, Deep Thoughts Of A Singapore Critic

**** A View From Malaysia <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_169897.html>
by China Press, Straits Times
No matter how progressive Singapore is, its democracy is still at the foetal stage. Malaysia begs to differ in its pursuit of democracy.

**** Bad Services Highlighted In The Forum Page
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Zara Vivo <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_169829.html>. (Letter by Sugunavathi Sepramaniam, Straits Times.)
McDonald's, 'famous bakery-cum-cafe', and 'famous Chinese restaurant' <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_169819.html>. (Letter by Gordon Aw, Straits Times.)