[MyAppleMenu] Oct 25, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 25 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Review: Apple's New Operating System <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19621/>
by Simson Garfinkel, MIT Technology Review
Visually stunning, OS 10.5&mdash;a.k.a. Leopard&mdash;is fast and stable, and it features a consistent set of powerful file-management tools familiar to anyone who has ever used iTunes. And unlike Microsoft Windows, which seems to grind slower with each successive release, OS 10.5 feels faster than 10.4 on the same hardware&mdash;provided that you have sufficient memory.

**** Leopard, Apple's New Mac Operating System, Hits All The Right Spots <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-10-24-leopard_N.htm>
by Edward C. Baig, USA Today

**** Picking Our Favorite Leopard Features <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/firstlooks/leodraft/index.php?pf=1>
by Macworld
So we rounded up eight /Macworld/ editors, handed them the list of 300-plus Leopard features, and told them to assemble a roster of the top additions and enhancements in Mac OS X.

**** Inside Leopard: Time Machine <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/leopard_time_machine/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
Designed to work with internal or external hard drives, Time Machine automatically creates time-based "snapshos" of your machine, allowing you to instantly retrieve files, folders, and applications that you may have deleted&mdash;or even just older versions of documents that you've since updated.

**** Shelve Leopard's Dock Shelf <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/10/shelvedockshelf/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
Now that we know the Dock's appearance can change in certain circumstances, it was only a matter of time before someone figured out how to get that same look all the time.

**** Leopard: Faster, Easier Than Vista <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119326655774870521.html>
by Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal
I've been testing Leopard, and while it is an evolutionary, not a revolutionary, release, I believe it builds on Apple's quality advantage over Windows. In my view, Leopard is better and faster than Vista, with a set of new features that makes Macs even easier to use.

**** Apple Offers New Goodies In Leopard System <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/technology/circuits/25pogue.html?ex=1350964800&en=46e6096639495a7a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by David Pogue, New York Times
Apple's mission in Leopard was to make us aware of needs we never knew we had &mdash; something Apple is usually good at.

**** Fluid Mask 3: Photoshop Plug-In Takes The Pain Out Of Extracting Backgrounds <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/reviews/fluidmask3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jan Kabili, Macworld

**** As Leopard Day Nears, Third-Party Devs Request Patience <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/24/as-leopard-day-nears-third-party-devs-request-patience>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica
Unfortunately, third-party developers are unable to get their applications 100 percent ready for the public version of Leopard. Why? Because they can't get their final copy any earlier than we do.

**** Can We Please Retire The iPod "Halo" Nonsense? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=968>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet
The Mac is the real deal. If the Mac wasn't a sueprior computing platform, and if it didn't work as advertised, no amount of iPod pull would get switchers to switch.

**** SubEthaEdit Version 3.0 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/24/subethaedit-version-3-0/>
by Mat Lu, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** It's Fun To Play With Stuff (Or Why I'm Glad I Switched To The Mac) <http://www.brokendigits.com/2007/10/23/its-fun-to-play-with-stuff-or-why-im-glad-i-switched-to-the-mac/>
by Ben Sargent, Broken Digits
The Mac opened up a whole new world for me to play in, and the rabbit hole runs pretty deep.

**** Carbon Copy Cloner 3.0.1 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/10/ccc3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Safari Beats IE, Firefox In Speed Trials <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9043978&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Safari is faster than rival browsers from Microsoft Corp. and Mozilla Corp., a North Carolina web testing firm said today &mdash; puting proof to Apple Inc.'s June boast that its browser was the quickest.

**** Piper Jaffray: AT&amp;T Paying Apple $18 Per iPhone, Per Month <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9803657-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

**** Gmail Delivers Knockout Punch: IMAP Changes The "Freemail" Game <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071024-gmail-delievers-a-knockout-punch-imap-changes-the-freemail-game.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Journalism And Its Discontents <http://www.salon.com/opinion/blumenthal/2007/10/25/walter_lippmann/>
by Sidney Blumenthal, Salon
Ninety years after Walter Lippmann first railed against the complicity of the media in wartime propaganda, we're back at ground zero.

**** The Cat Text <http://litlab.blogspot.com/2007/09/j-robert-lennon-cat-text.html>
by J. Robert Lennon, The Litlab

**** Singapore Price Pressure Remains, Amid Costly Oil <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119324732376770050.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by John Jannarone, Wall Street Journal
Consumer prices in Singapore rose less thane expected in September, but higher energy costs coupled with a recent sales-tax increase continued to stoke inflationary pressure in the city-state and will likely keep the central bank in a hawkish mood.

**** Singapore's Minister For Foreign Affairs Said Absolutely Nothing In Parliament <http://pseudonymity.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/singapores-minister-for-foreign-affairs-said-absolutely-nothing-in-parliament/>
by Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Democratic Party, Pseudonymity
If this passes off as "debate" in parliament, then we are in deeper trouble than we think.

**** On Conservatism, Part 1 <http://users.livejournal.com/undoing_/26967.html>
by undoing_
INconsistency and selective application of principles (clouded under the term "pragmatism", as we all learnt in social studies) is the key grievance here.

**** Ideology Can't Pay For Your Bills, But Is Good Political Currency <http://pkchukiss.sgblogging.com/2007/10/24/ideology-cant-pay-for-your-bills-but-is-good-political-currency/>
by Reality Wine

**** The Irrational Section 377A <http://goingback.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/the-irrational-section-377a/>
by A Father Thoughts
A simple piece of redundant legislature requires an equally simple act of removal. Undue worries about upsetting the so-called conservatives and traditional values would just lead to questions about our government leadership, decisiveness and its ability to be relevant in today's fast evolving world.

**** 377A Will Be Repealed One Day, Just Not Today <http://yuhuibc.blogspot.com/2007/10/377a-will-be-repealed-one-day-just-not.html>
by Yuhui's Blog
In the end, politics, at least in this case, is all about statistics.
/Democracy is not merely about majority rules. The protection of the weak and the minorities is also a fundamental of a good government./

**** A Bintaroan In Singapore: Sentosa, The Beach With No Waves <http://augustmist.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/a-bintaroan-in-singapore-sentosa-the-beach-with-no-waves/>
by In My Humble Opinion

**** Section 377A <http://www.misscel.com/2007/10/24/section-377a/>
by MissCel

**** A Hazy Map On Public Property Rights <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/10/hazy-map-on-public-property-rights.html>
by Siew Kum Hong

**** If Ned Were In Parliament... <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/if-ned-were-in-parliament/>
by Ned Stark, Winter Is Coming

**** AirAsia Wins Backing To Fly To Singapore - Source <http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=allBreakingNews&storyID=2007-10-24T165744Z_01_KLR223031_RTRIDST_0_AIRASIA-UPDATE-1.XML>
by Reuters
Malaysia's cabinet has given approval in principle to allow budget airline AirAsia Bhd to start flights to neighbouring Singapore, a source familiar with the process told Reuters on Wednesday.
The two governments will have to work out the formalities, including allowing an additional Singaporean carrier to fly the routes, according to a diplomatic source who said a bilateral meeting on the issue is expected in coming weeks.

**** NMP Thio's Comments Were Inappropriate <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_170253.html>
by Azimin Saini, Straits Times

**** Govt Explains Stand On 'Peaceful' Demos <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_170247.html>
by Toh Yong CHuan, Ministry of Home Affairs, Straits Times
If there can be complete assurance that peaceful outdoor demonstrations cannot turn violent, the case for permitting such activities would be straightforward.

**** Gay Debate Takes Ugly Turn <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/218550.asp>
by Ansley Ng, Today
The parliamentary debate on the law against gay sex will be remembered for its fiery, heart-felt spirit. But outside the house, passions &mdash; among both supporters and opponents of Section 377A &mdash; have, at times, degenerated into spite.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** My Rights, Versus Yours <http://www.thenewpornographers.com/>
by The New Pornographers
Click here to listen <http://www.buyearlygetnow.com/mp3/the_new_pornographers_my_rights_versus_yours.mp3>.