[MyAppleMenu] Oct 3, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 3 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** iPod Nano Packs A Punch <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2007/tc2007102_167708.htm>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

**** Isn't It Time Apple And AT&amp;T Opened The iPhone? <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/10/isnt_it_time_ap.html>
by Stephen Wellman, InformationWeek
I have a theory: I think Apple may be more scared of open access than AT&amp;T, assuming such a thing &mdash; a vendor being more scared of open accss than a carrier &mdash; is even possible.

**** Little Wing Releases FairyTower Pinball Game <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/02/fairytower/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Apple, Nike Sued Over Nike+iPod <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/10/02/leaper.v.nikeipod/>
by MacNN

**** Radioshift TiVos Internet Radio <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9216>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Community Goes Extremely Overboard On iPhone Extreme <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/02/community-goes-extremely-overboard-on-iphone-extreme/>
by Mike Schramm, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Whoever coded the page just used the Airport Extreme template, and did a mass cut-and-paste with "iPhone" and "Airport."

**** Analysis: Application Blocking Diminishes iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/02/iphonesoftware/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Whatever the reason that third-party apps wound up disabled with the 1.1.1 update, it's an issue that doesn't figure to fade away.

**** iPhone Security Hellhole? <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2191348,00.asp>
by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, eWeek
First, the iPhone root password was broken. OK, it happens. But now it seems that all applications run on the iPhone as root. Can you say biggest security blnder of the 21st century to date?

**** Apple Airport Extreme Base Station Review <http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/10/02/apple-airport-extreme-base-station-review/>
by Chris Pirillo
No doubt about it: this is (by far) the most user friendly home networking router I've ever had the pleasure of using.

**** First Look: iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store At Starbucks <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/firstlooks/starbucks/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Glenn Fleishman, Macworld
The Starbucks/Apple partnership does live up to the simplicity of browsing and purchase that were promised, but only at the expense of a lot of friction&mdash;first in the lack of superb execution at a launch store; second, in the poor execution of how Wi-Fi and at least portable devices work for connections.

**** Is Apple On The Wrong Path? <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/10/applecriticism/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Regardless of what Apple does in the real world&mdash;release great hardware, offer up the finest operating system computerdom has seen, make incredible content deals&mdash;if it returns to the days of the Arrogant Apple, it's going to lose its darling status in a hurry. And this is the path I fear Apple has returned to.

**** Amazon Makes You Lie To Log Off <http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2007/10/amazon_makes_yo.html?source=rss>
by Ed Foster, InfoWorld
Are e-commerce websites making it harder and harder for users to log off?

**** No Glamour, But Sandwich Is A Star <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/03/dining/03chee.html?ex=1349064000&en=74ee54ab3d8c031b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Jennifer Steinhauer, New York Times
Is there any pain quite as sweet as the one caused by a steaming drip of cheese oozing from between slices of just-grilled bread and onto your lower lip?

**** The Breakfast Liberation Front <http://www.salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/2007/10/03/breakfast_cereal/index_np.html?source=rss>
by Anastacia Marx de Salcedo, Salon
The food industries processes the life out of our flakes and puffs, then sponsors studies boasting of their helath benefits. Isn't it time to rebel against breakfast cereal supremacy?

**** Table At 7? L.A. Begs To Differ <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-gotcha3oct03,1,3617252.story?track=rss>
by Leslie Brenner, Los Angeles Times
In a dining world gone wacky, it's tables, tables everywhere, but not a time to eat. At least not the time you wanted.

**** Price Of Chickens Goes Up By 50 Per Cent In Singapore <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=288256>
by Bernama
The price of chickens has risen by 20 to 50 per cent here since last week, caused by the wholesale price hike from Malaysia, among the factors, according to media reports.

**** Singapore Economy Roars With THe Sound Of Supercars <http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSSP16318120071003>
by David Fogarty, Reuters
Singapore's economy is going strong, fuelling demand for all things luxurious, and the government, which hopes to make this tiny island into a Monaco where the wealthy set up base and play, is encouraging the drive to cater to the rich.

**** Connecting With Your Audience <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2007/10/connecting-with-your-audience.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
I am sure SBSTransit had been doing its level best to get the system going, but they really really need to fix their mis-performing and mis-communicating communications systems.

**** Another Reason The News In Singapore Annoys Me <http://www.toomanythoughts.org/blog/2007/10/anothe-rreason-news-in-singapore-annoys.html>
by Tym Blogs Too!
How many times I've listened to or read news reports (including lame news ticker headlines) that dutifully reported the mundanities in a minister's speech as if they were the gospel truth or Eureka! moment.

**** When A Permit Is Required For Compassion - Disgusting <http://lalaland9.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/when-a-permit-is-required-for-compassion-disgusting/>
by Looking For LalaLand...
There are laws. And then there is common sense.

**** What Tom Cruise Can Teach Singapore About The Law <http://creativespark.wordpress.com/2007/10/02/what-tom-cruise-can-teach-singapore-about-the-law/>
by Creative Spark
Singapore might well be the first country in the world to hold those who do not know they are HIV-infected responsible for their actions.

**** Waitresses? No, They Are Cleaners <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,143670,00.html?>
by Elysa Chan, New Paper
Is Food Republic food court using sex to sell food?
"If that is true, I'll put the women in low-cut dresses with high slits," Willie Tay, Food Republic's senior vice-president replied. "But their uniforms are classy."
/Yeah right. Of course they are using sex to sell business, just like Singapore Airlines. You don't have to show skin in order to use sex./

**** Speech On The Land Titles (Strata) (Amendment) Bill: 20 September 2007 <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/10/speech-on-land-titles-strata-amendment.html>
by Siew Kum Hong

**** Protests: A Help Or Hindrance? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/214649.asp>
by Siow Jia Rui, Today

**** Hospital Knows The Right Way To Use Recycling Bins <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/214671.asp>
by Tan Jack Thian, KK Women's And Children's Hospital, Today
As a practice, the cleaners gather thre recycled items in one garbage bag, only to sort the items for recycling from items meant for disposal as garbage.

**** Young Women Earn Just 2% Less Than Men Do <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_163565.html>
by Radha Basu, Straits Times
The UN committee applauded several moves by Singapore to end gender inequality, including its decision to confer citizenship to children born overseas to Singaporean women. But, it also exprssed 'deep concern' that Singapore still maintains 'reservations' to - meaning it refuses to fully accept - certain articles of the Cedaw treaty that call for removing all discriminatory laws and customs, including those related to marriage.

**** POSB Bank Branch Upgraded But How Is It Serving Customers Better? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_163372.html>
by Raymond Anthony Fernando, Straits Times

**** High Time Law Is Passed To Make It Mandatory For Cyclists To Wear Helmets <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_163378.html>
by Elaine Ong Mei Lin, Straits Times
I feel it is high time that Singapore considers looking into this safety aspect for all cyclists and enact a law that would make the wearing of helmts compulsory, the wya it is in many First World countries.

**** Regular Reviews Needed For ERP To Be Effective <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_163577.html>
by Amy Hing, Ministry of Transport, Straits Times
For ERP to remain effective, regula reviews are required to adjust its coverage and rates in response to changes in traffic conditions.