[MyAppleMenu] Oct 2, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 2 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Apple's HTML References "iPhone Extreme" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/02/apples-html-references-iphone-extreme>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
The iPhone Feedback page looks innocent enough, until you view the HTML to the page.

**** Mac Is Back Among US Students <http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19261>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** 5 Reasons You'll Go Mac... And Not Look Back <http://mac.blorge.com/2007/10/01/5-reasons-youll-go-macand-not-look-back/>
by Triston Mcintyre, Mac.Blorge.com

**** AT&amp;T Welcomes Programmers For All Phones Except The iPhone <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/att-welcomes-programmers-for-all-phones-except-the-iphone/>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times Blog
So why would AT&amp;T be worried about network problems caused by an iPhone and not from these other phones? Michael Coe, an AT&amp;T spokesman, wouldn't say. "The company that decides which third-party apps go on the iPhone is Apple," he said.

**** Analysis And iPhone <http://rc3.org/2007/10/analysis-and-ip.php>
by Rafe Colburn, rc3.org
It strikes me that "that's stupid" is just about the most self-defeating thing you can say if your goal is to analyze, well, anything. I'm seeing "that's stupid" a lot lately with regard to Apple's iPhone.

**** Maxon Releases Cinema 10.5 Update <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/10/01/maxon.cinema.105.update/>
by MacNN

**** iPhone 1.0 Forever <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/10/iphoneno111/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
I've chosen not to upgrade because I value the productivity, entertainment, and customization abiilities offered by the third-party applications I've added to my iPhone. I don't want those abilities to go away just to earn the "right" to send Apple more money via the new Wi-Fi Music Store.

**** Boot Camp To Require Leopard? <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/01/boot-camp-to-require-leopard/>
by Mat Lu, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Listen Up: Tips For iPod And Hearing Safety <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/hearingprotection/index.php>
by Mathew Honan and Dan Frakes, Macworld
Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) "is 100 percent preventable."

**** iPhone Users Now Fear Security Patches, Say Analysts <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9040200>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple Inc.'s decision last week to bundle an iPhone-crippling firmware upgrade with 10 security patches for the device was a mistake, analysts said today.

**** iPhone: Context Over Consistency <http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/628-iphone-context-over-consistency>
by 37signals
I love that Apple favored context over consistency in this design desicison. Consistency is the easy choice. Context is the thinking choice.

**** The Stupidest Idea Ever? <http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_7059903?nclick_check=1>
by Elise Ackerman, San Jose Mercury News
As managing director of Garage Technology Ventures, GUy Kawaski funded all the really smart ideas he could find. None hit it big.
So earlier this year the guru of Silicon Valley start-ups decided to fund a really dumb idea that cost as little as possible.

**** Survey: Consumers Only Think They're Cybersafe <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/10/01/Consumers-only-think-they're-cybersafe_1.html>
by Grant Gross, IDG News Service
Most U.S. consumers believe they're protecting their computers against cyberattacks, but their actions indicate they aren't as safe as they think, according to a study released Monday.

**** Bookmobiles' Final Chapter? <http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/10/02/bookmobiles_final_chapter/>
by Anna Badkhen, Boston Globe
It may come as no surprise, in an age defined by mouse-clicks, that bookmobiles are disappearing.

**** Elegy, Father's Day <http://www.slate.com/id/2174304/fr/rss/>
by Kevin Young, Slate

**** 9/11 Is Over <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/opinion/30friedman.html?em&ex=1191470400&en=484c104ee5c0477f&ei=5087%0A>
by Thomas L. Friedman, New York Times
9/11 has made us stupid. I honor, and weep for, all those murdered on that day. But our reaction to 9/11 &mdash; mine included &mdash; has knocked America completely out of balance, and it is time to get things right again.
See Also:
Is This The America Of 9/11, or 9/12? <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/opinion/l02friedman.html?ref=opinion>, by New York Times.

**** In A Land Of Homemade Names, Tiffany Doesn't Cut It <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/world/africa/01names.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Michael Wines, New York Times
In southern Africa, a child's name is chosen to convey a specific meaning, and not, as is common in the West, the latest fashion. Increasingly, however, those traditional names are bestowed not in Nidebele, Sotho or some other local language, but in English, the world's lingua franca.

**** Why Don't They Like Us As Much As They Used To? <http://www.slate.com/id/2175026/fr/rss/>
by Anne Applebaum, Slate
The United States has lost its aura of competence. That's a problem.

**** Better Pay, Prospects For New Mid-Career Teachers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/303480/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

**** Public Transport Trips Hit All-Time High <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_163390.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Overcrowding, one of the top peves of public transport commuters in Singapore, is expected to worsen before it gets any better.

**** More Choice, Paths For Normal Stream Students <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_163464.html>
by Sandra Davie, Straits Times

**** Surf The Net From Your Hospital Bed <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_163399.html>
by Lee Hui Chieh, Straits Times
Patients at the SIngapore General Hospital (SGH) can soon watch movies, listen to music, play games and surf the internet - from their hospital bed.

**** Singapore Bank Secrecy Threatens EU Trade Talks-MEP <http://beta.malaysia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071002/tap-singapore-eu-tax-c3bb44c.html>
by Reuters
Singapore's refusal to soften its strict bank secrecy laws could scupper talks with Europe about a trade agreement, a European politician said on Tueday.
"We say that we don't think there's money laundering going on here," said Glyn Ford, a member of the European parliament, "but clearly people engagd in money laundering are looking for places like Singapore with low levels of transparency to actually engage in money laundering."

**** Myanmar's Neighbours Have Little Influence: Singapore FM <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hMoLPMFDQ_QFVh4CRK7y86PRC9Ww>
by AFP
Myanmar's neighbours have little influence over internal developments there, Singapore's foreign minister said in remarks published Tuesday.

**** Stupidity, Technology Doom Junta <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2003917217_plate02.html>
by Tom Plate, Seattle Times
In the competition for the hearts of the world, rifles are little match for the determined pounding of sandals marching for freedom and dignity. President George Bush was right to ask for China's help, with its heavy investment in Burma. U.N. secretary-general Ban Ki-moon was right to dispatch special envoy Gambari. And Singapore PM Lee was right to work the phones behind the scenes. All this will not immediately save lives or end the junta tomorrow. But we are witnessing the beginning of the end.

**** A Protest And Petition In Singapore <http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2007/10/02/a-protest-and-petition-in-singapore/>
by Chemical Generation Singapore

**** Is The CPF A Cheap Source Of Funds For The Government? <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/is-the-cpf-a-cheap-source-of-funds-for-the-govt/>
by Yours Truly Singapore

**** Catch A Bus To See Singapore's Lush Rainforests <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/117211.html>
by DPA
This southeast Asian metropole is one of the few big cities in the world where you can catch a bus or taxi to a real rainforest. That explains why Bukit Timah, one of Singapore's green lungs, is always packed with families, young couples and mountain bikers at the weekend.
The reserve is just one of Singapore's many attractions but the local tourist authorities are not resting on their laurels and have plans to turn Singapore into Asia's number one destination.

**** Hougang Shopfronts Still Cluttered With Goods Despite Warnings <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/303268/1/.html>
by 938Live

**** Singapore Officials Envision 'Boston Of The East' <http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1002/p07s01-woap.html>
by Simon Montlake, Christian Science Monitor
Over the past decade, Singapore has courted foreign universities with subsidies and partnerships, and showered aid on promising overseas students. It aism to create an education hub for students in Asia who want an international degree but may not have the income or the grades to study in the West. It has targeted an enrollment of 150,000 foreign students by 2015, up from about 80,000 currently.
But Singapore's program has run into trouble.

**** They Do This To Escape The Crowd <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,143582,00.html?>
by Genevieve Jiang, New Paper
Muslims gathering with their families to break fast, in their cars, behind trucks, and on grass patches, are a common sight at the carpark just next to the market since fasting month started two weeks ago.

**** Uniquely Singapore, F1 Or F9: "Residents Willing To Pay More For Service And Conservancy"? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/10/02/uniquely-singapore-f1-or-f9-%e2%80%9cresidents-willing-to-pay-more-for-service-and-conservancy%e2%80%9d/>
by Leong Sze Hian and Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen

**** Can't Fines Be Paid In Cash? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/214468.asp>
by Charles Soh, Today
Can the NLB refuse to collect the sum if I insist on paying cash?

**** Pasar Malam @ Chong Pang <http://www.molemole.sg/2007/10/pasar-malam-chong-pang.html>
by Molemole
Pasar Malams are so /hot/ nowadays they appear everywhere.

**** Is It Appropriate For PM Lee To Address Than Shwe As His Excellency? <http://www.ajish.com/ashventures/2007/10/is-it-appropria.html>
by Ash'ventures

**** Two-Month Credit Limit For Wealthy Cardholders May Go <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_163187.html>
by Bryan Lee, Straits Times
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) yesterday proposed that limits for those earning at least $120,000 a year be lifted from the two months' salary maximum that now applies to all credit cards.

**** Fernvale Flat Prices: Comparisons Inapt <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_163246.html>
by Kee Lay CHeng, Housing &amp; Development Board, Straits Times
The comparisons are inappropriate, as they did not take into account prevailing market values and the different design features of the flats.

**** An Eastern Charm In Singapore <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/214490.asp>
by Zul Othman, Today
Another 228 buildings in the Jo Chiat/Katong area identified for preservation.