[MyAppleMenu] Aug 24, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 24 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Finally A GUI Installer For iPone Applications <http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/08/finally-a-gui-i.html>
by Scott Gilbertson, Wired
Hacking the iPhone just got a lot easier.

**** Ringo Starr Comes To iTunes <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18918>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Mac Virtualization Wars: VMWare V Parallels <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18921>
by Karen Haslam, Macworld UK
Macworld asks VMWare and Parallels why, and how, their solutions will win over the Mac market?

**** Hardware Already Needs Leopard <http://www.macuser.com/hardware/hardware_already_needs_leopard_1.php?lsrc=murss>
by Derik DeLong, MacUser

**** Are Mac Users Smug And Arrogant? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=806>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet
What's the answer to Apple's elitist image problem? Do they even have one?

**** This Furniture Rocks <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/22/AR2007082200697.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Terri Sapienza, Washington Post
Bookshelves and beds are doing the iPod shuffle.

**** Apple's Coming iTunes Switcheroo <http://www.bagelturf.com/files/2f6c75be68e4a15772879208326664cc-971.html>
by Bagelturf
In more than a few years, but in certainly less than a decade, Apple is going to pull a switcheroo on the record industry. Apple will force the record companies to pay hard cash to sell their catalog of music through iTunes.

**** Mac Pro 2 X 2.66Ghz <http://www.glennwolsey.com/2007/08/17/review-mac-pro-2-x-266ghz/>
by Glenn Wolsey

**** Why 1.0.2 Is Interesting <http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/why-102-is-interesting>
by Russell Beattie

**** Adobe Contribute CS3 <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/review.php?id=343>
by Art Payne, MacNN
Contribute is still a great opton for a small business who has a professionally designed website and needs to be able to do minor updates in-house. Yet, it is a shame that a few of the best features are missing in the Macintosh version.

**** Audiophiles Vs. The iPod: The Battle Over Loudness <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070823-audiophiles-vs-the-ipod-the-battle-over-loudness.html>
by John Timmer, Ars Technica
The fight has played out over the characteristic termed the "dynamic range" of recorded music, a measure of the contrast between the loudest and quietest portions of a composition.

**** The Brent Simmons Interview <http://shawnblanc.net/2007/the-brent-simmons-interview/>
by Shawn Blanc
Aside from being incredibly cool and an all around great guy, Brent Simmons is also the mastermind behind the sensational news reader for Mac, NetNewsWire.

**** Mac Users Waiting Months For 'Critical' Java Runtime Update <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=469>
by Ryan Naraine, ZDNet
It's August 2007 and Apple's Java runtime has not yet been updated, meaning that millions of Mac OS X users are at risk of remote code execution attacks.

**** Apple iMac Desktop Review <http://computershopper.com/reviews/apple_imac>
by Wendy Sheehan, Computer Shopper

**** When The Bad Thing Happens <http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/08/badthing/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist

**** Is iPod's Cool Melting, Or Are Grand Plans Afoot? <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/is-ipods-cool-melting-or-are-grand-plans-afoot/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge
Apple wouldn't comment on whether it leaks and then withdraws images to let its most opinionated customers vent before a launch takes place, but we're beginning to suspect that's the case.

**** Spam Fighters Hit Criminals' Weak Spot <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/24/Spam-fighters-hit-criminals-weak-spot_1.html>
by Robert McMillan, InfoWorld
Anti-spam groups want to target sources instead of relying on filters to decrease stream of junk e-mail.

**** Is The Digital Pen Mightier? <http://news.com.com/Is+the+digital+pen+mightier/2100-1041_3-6204235.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Ina Fried, CNET News.com
For decades, tech companies have been trying to create a digital pen that appeals to the masses. But after years of effort, the world isn't exactly overrun with high-tech quills. A new crop of companies, however, say it's too soon to write off the idea.

**** It's Arrived: The Feminisation Of The Net <http://media.guardian.co.uk/newmedia/story/0,,2154392,00.html>
by Katie Allen, The Guardian
Forget the 20-something men playing online fantasy football and selling motorbike parts on eBay. The internet has a new user.

**** Relative Stranger <http://www.salon.com/books/review/2007/08/24/loudon/index_np.html?source=rss>
by Emily Weinstein, Salon
A writer sifts through the wreckage of her schizophrenic sister's short life. Can she penetrate the helter-skelter chaos to understand what was going on in her mind?

**** What The US Can Learn From Singapore <http://www.dugthawts.com/?p=150>
by A Drop In The Stream
The linguistic and cultural diversity of Singapore is one of its strengths and nobody I spoke with mentioned that there is ethnic strife between Chinese, Malay, and Indian residents.

**** Singapore's Competitiveness Among Issues To Be Raised In Parliament <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/295816/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Issues concerning Singapore's competitiveness in the light of rising prices and property rentals will kick off question time when parliament sits on Monday.

**** Power Napping Par Excellence <http://singaporesojourn.blogspot.com/2007/08/power-napping-par-excellence.html>
by Singapore Sojourn
I've grown to enjoy this period of quiet contemplation where the observation of one's fellow passengers can surreptitiously take place through lowered lashes.

**** Does Singapore Value Copyright? <http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2007/08/does-singapore-value-copyright.html>
by The Boy Who Knew Too Much
Downloading material off the internet is so prevalent and so common the world over, that most young people give it no thought at all: indeed, the typical youngster seems to think it is their right to download whatever they please, whenever they please. This attitude, however, either ignores the notion of intellectual property and copyright &mdash; or is founded on an unawareness of it.

**** Domestic Work Is Work Not Slavery <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070824.F07&irec=6>
by Rahayu Gabrelle, Jakarta Post
I have worked in Malaysia and Singapore for the last eight years and I understand the slavery-like conditions under which we work.

**** Enhanced HDB Grant To Help 4,000 Households A Year <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_151314.html>
by Straits Times

**** Odex Case: PacNet Need Not Reveal Downloaders' Names To Distributor <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/295663/1/.html>
by Ansley Ng, Channel NewsAsia