[MyAppleMenu] Aug 25, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 25 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Hundreds Take A Byte From Apple <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6961413.stm>
by BBC News
Hundreds of people have flocked to the opening of Apple's first Scottish store.

**** Apple Takes Luxury Phones To School <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070824.wgtluxphones24/BNStory/Front>
by Peter Svensson, Globe And Mail
Don't pay any attention to the negative hype: the iPhone is the best phone around.

**** Review Of The New 24" iMac <http://blog.smalldog.com/article/862/review-of-the-new-24-imac>
by Barkings!
The new iMac is simply the best Mac I've ever used at any price; with its bundled software and premium components, it's also an incredible value.

**** The iMovie '08 Controversy <http://iboughtamac.com/2007/08/24/the-imovie-08-controversy/>
by iBoughtAMac
As I look at iMovie through different eyes, I see Apple did a remarkable job at a 1.0 product. I look forward to the next iteration of the new iMovie, that is more refined, and maybe brings an advanced view with more features, while still keeping the simplicity of iMovie '08.

**** Apple iPhone Unlocked - So What! <http://weblog.infoworld.com/realitycheck/archives/2007/08/apple_iphone_un.html?source=rss>
by Ephraim Schwartz, InfoWorld
For me the news is just another proof point that when it comes to high technology and public access, freedom of choice continues to be like a steamroller crushing anything in its path that tries to stop it.
See Also:
Now That The iPhone Can Be Unlocked, Will Apple Try To Block That Hack? <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/08/24/now-that-the-iphone-can-be-unlocked-will-apple-try-to-block-the-hack/>, by Duncan Riley, TechCrunch.

**** Kitty Spangles Solitaire Adds New Games <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/24/kitty/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** iPhone Unlockers Lining Up <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/24/iPhone-unlockers-lining-up_1.html>
by Stephen Lawson and Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service
Several hackers claim to have unlocked the iPhone, allowing owners to use the handheld outside the U.S. or on networks besides AT&amp;T.

**** The Complete Guide To Rebuilding Or Cleaning Your iTunes Library <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-rebuilding-or-cleaning-your-itunes-library/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge

**** Why Waiting On An iPhone Deal In Europe Hurts Apple <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/08/why_waiting_on.html>
by Richard Martin, InformationWeek
Jobs' chance to strike an unprecendented service-revenue-sharing deal in Europe is now, not three months from now. But I'm not sure he realizes that.

**** Does The Glossy Screen Of The New iMac Suck? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=809>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet

**** Howard Nourmand: Analyze This <http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/nourmand/>
by Bija Gutoff, Apple
"The Mac had all the applications for so many of the things I loved &mdash; film, fashion, design, photography. All these juicy things came together on the screen. And I had faith in that. That alone was enough."

**** Source: Major Apple Event On September 5Th <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/24/source-major-apple-event-on-september-5th>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Apple plans to drop the bomb on us with a major unveiling during the first week of September&mdash;specifically, September 5, according to our sources within the company.

**** iPhoto '08 Is A Master Of Organization <http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/ptech/stories/DN-p2techreview_24bus.ART.State.Edition1.360a2ec.html>
by Andrew D. Smith, Dallas Morning News
The program transformed my library from a Superfund site to a clean room in just a few minutes.

**** Keynote '08: Presentation Software Ads Path Motion, Time-Saving Features <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/keynote08/index.php>
by Franklin N. Tessler, Macworld
Despite a few rough edges, Keynote '08 is more imressive than ever. With PowerPoint 2008 slated for release early next year, I'm hoping that the competition will compel Apple to address Keynote's remaining shortcomings before then.

**** Who'll Win The Web?: What The Internet Means For Newspaper And TV Companies <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/2007/08/wholl_win_the_web_what_the_int.html>
by Mark Sweney, The Guardian

**** To Woo Europeans, McDonald's Takes An Upscale Turn <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/business/worldbusiness/25restaurant.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin>
by Julia Werdigier, New York Times
McDonald's is introducing healthier foods and items that cater to regional tastes, like caffe lattes. Hoping to attract more young dults and professionals, in addition to its core customer base of children, the chain is also adding amenities like internet access and rental iPods.

**** On Vacation, All By Myself <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/opinion/25jordan.html?ex=1345694400&en=051f877ecb852871&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Pete Jordan, New York Times
Little did I realize at the time how much this venture foreshadowed the kind of restless traveling (Greyhound/minimal baggage/half-baked plans) that, as an adult, I would spend more than a decade doing.

**** Stop Making Sense <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/books/review/Brooks-t.html?ex=1345780800&en=a86b210531684680&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by David Brooks, New York Times
Reason and rationality play a limited role in political decisions.

**** Beggars Can Be Choosers <http://singaporesojourn.blogspot.com/2007/08/beggars-can-be-choosers.html>
by Singapore Sojourn

**** Guidelines For Rehiring Older Workers Ready In 2 Years: Manpower Minister <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/295981/1/.html>
by Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia
The proposed law on rehiring older workers will be flexible in order to help companies reemploy those who turn 62, and the Ministry of Manpower said these guidelines should be ready within two years to spell out how employees are rehired.

**** Thoughts On Additional CPF Housing Grant <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/thoughts-on-additional-cpf-housing-grant.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

**** Response To PM Lee's 4Th Rally Speech <http://www.bloglines.com/blog/anibodi?id=2>
by Anibodi's Perceptions
I think it is about time that cosmetic measures be replaced by a total revamp of the whole system.
/Question is: what?/

**** Old Age Not A Blessing <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/8/25/columnists/insightdownsouth/18679900&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
With the rising cost of living, senior citizens who have little education, money or family support are becoming the city state's rising disenchanted.

**** Malaysia And Singapore Agree To Fight Climate Change Together <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=280973>
by Bernama
Malaysia and Singapore have agreed to share information and find ways to mitigate climate change, an issube both nations regard as important, at regional and international fora.

**** Annuities For Singaporeans, Pension For Ministers? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/08/25/a-contrast-of-two-schemes-the-annuity-scheme-and-the-pension-scheme/>
by Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen
That ministers' reitrement needs are taken care of by tax payers money through the pension scheme while tax payers have to fend for themselves when they retire, if ever they do?
Annuities for Singaporeans, pension for ministers?

**** Annual Bonus For Each Year You Wait <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_151519.html>
by Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times

**** CPF Retirement Scheme Just Needs A Tweak <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_151446.html>
by Tan Yeong Heng, Straits Times
If my understanding and computation are correct, what benefit is there in buying a bank annuity? Of course, those who live beyond age 95 will benefit, but how many of us are likely to do so?

**** Anime Case: Odex Had 'No Right Of Civil Action' <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/207450.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Company was only a sub-licensee for titles, says judge's ruling.

**** Singapore's Success: Will It Work Here? <http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2007/aug/25/yehey/opinion/20070825opi6.html>
by Benjamin G. Defensor, Manila Times