[MyAppleMenu] Aug 23, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 23 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** iPhone: The Scratch Test <http://blog.washingtonpost.com/posttech/2007/08/iphone_the_scratch_test.html?nav=rss_blog>
by Mike Musgrove, Washington Post

**** iPhone Tantalizes, Frustrates Forensics Experts <http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/news/2007/08/iphone_forensics>
by Cathy B. Almeida, Wired
Technophiles may love the iPhone, but you criminals? Watch out. The iPhone may reveal more about your misdeeds than you realize.

**** Apple's iPhone Learning Curve <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2007/tc20070822_235729.htm>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
Once again, an Apple launch is accompaied by complaints and lawsuits. But the actual number of instances is small&mdash;and unavoidable.

**** Video Editing Choices Blossom Into Nicely Workable Options <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2007-08-22-high-def-recording_N.htm>
by Jefferson Graham, USA Today
Apple isn't apologizing. It says it wants a new audience for iMovie and that the redesign had to happen.

**** Do You Want OS X In Your Other Pocket Too?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Three of the four Apple's businesses (and hobby) are already using Mac OS X. Now, it's time for the iPods too, according to AppleInsider <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/23/apple_to_usher_in_era_of_mac_os_x_based_ipods.html> sources from "people familiar with this year's plans."
The interesting bit of this rumor is that Apple is ready to expand the family of three (iPod, nano, and shuffle) to a family of four. I wonder where is the gap currently &mdash; could it be the iPhone-without-phone iPod that many people are wishing for is going to be an (expensive) reality?

**** The Real Question About Mac Security <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=805>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet
By its record, the Mac has been a more secure platform and continues to be a more secure platform. And that's what matters to users.

**** The New iLife Lives Large On The Web <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/22/AR2007082202654.html>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
Setting aside the quirks of this release, Apple is probably right in thinking that online sharing will matter more than handing out physical copies of your creativity, such as a DVD or a photo print.

**** Running Windows Vista On A Mac <http://mailbox.allthingsd.com/20070823/running-windows-vista-on-a-mac/>
by Walter S. Mossberg, AllThingsD

**** FastCut 3.0 RT Adds Title Effects, Presets <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/22/fastcut.30.rt.released/>
by MacNN

**** iDVD '08: DVD Creation Application Sees Improvements, Despite Apple's Indifference <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/idvd08/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jeff Carlson, Macworld

**** My Summer Fling With iPhone <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9764195-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Amy Tiemann, CNET News.com
Why hasn't iPhone been the end-all, be-all device I was hoping for?

**** Not So Fast: That 17" iMac Is Still Lurking Around <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/22/not-so-fast-that-17-imac-is-still-lurking-around>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly - iPhone Edition <http://www.webstandards.org/2007/08/22/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-iphone-edition/>
by Aaron Gustafson, The Web Standards Project
All I am saying is that you should not support the iPhone and snub all other mobile devices.

**** AT&amp;T Saves Trees <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/22/atandt-saves-trees/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
"We are simplifying your paper bill, removing itemized detail."

**** Japanese Eager To Get Hands On iPhones <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2007-08-21-japan-iphone_N.htm>
by Paul Wiseman, USA Today
Japanese gadget geeks &mdash; and cellphone service providers &mdash; are intrigued by the iPHone's sleek design and touch-screen display.

**** Apple's Surprise Weapon: Computers <http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/21/technology/apple_computers.fortune/?postversion=2007082206>
by Brent Schlender, Fortune
Apple is growing faster than its competitors because it improves its hardware and software more often than anyone else. It is broadening what we think of as a consumer-oriented PC and thus helping its market grow. That's a good long-term investment story. And, oh, by the way, Apple also makes some pretty slick music players and cell phones.

**** Thefts At Apple Retail Stores On The Rise, Two Reported This Month <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/22/thefts_at_apple_retail_stores_on_the_rise_two_reported_this_month.html>
by AppleInsider

**** Lots Of Questions As Europe Readies For The iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/22/iphonequestions/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by John Blau, IDG News Service

**** Latest iPhone Update Boosts Wi-Fi Reception, Says Owners <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9032220>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
But 'modded' iPhones must be restored from scratch, as usual.

**** iMovie Update Fixes .Mac Web Gallery Publishing <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/22/imovie/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
It also improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues.

**** Report: Home Networking Still Too Complex For Most Users <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070822-analyst-says-home-networking-still-too-complex-for-most-users.html>
by Jeremy Reimer, Ars Technica

**** Can Google Change Telecommunications? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1742>
by John Carroll, ZDNet

**** Already Chewed News <http://www.slate.com/id/2172642/fr/rss/>
by Jack Shafer, Slate
What my beloved newspaper has been reduced to serving.

**** Inflation Hits 12-Year High In July <http://e.sinchew-i.com/content.phtml?sec=2&artid=200708230017>
by Associated Press
Singapore's consumer prices rose at their fastest pace in 12 years in July as soaring rents combined with the impact of a sales tax hike.
The consumer price index rose 2.6% from a year earlier after rising 1.3% in June, the Department of Statistics said in a statement Thursday.

**** Looking For Patterns In 10 Years Of 'Light Touch' Regulation <http://journalism.sg/2007/08/23/looking-for-patterns-in-10-years-of-light-touch-regulation/>
by Cherian George, Journalism.sg
A close look at 10 years of internet content regulation in Singapore suggests that the authorities have gneerally kept their promise of applying the law with a "light touch". Also as promised, the light touch policy has not meant a totaly hands-off laisez faire approach: the government has been prepared to use strong measures against sedition and criminal defamation, and also introduced restrictions on the use of the internet for election campaigns.

**** A Holistic Approach To Achieving A Sustainable Land Transport System In Singapore: Speech By Raymond Lim, Minister For Transport <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20070823986.htm>
by Singapore Government
As long as we want more cars on the roads, ERP coverage will invariably get more extensive and charges higher over time. This is a key trade off that we have to make if we want both car growth and smooth flowing roads. The government is thus looking at what the appropriate balance should be in the future, between vehicle growth rates, usage charges and ownership taxes.

**** We Can Learn A Thing Or Two From Singapore <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/Columns/20070823073559/Article/index_html>
by Fauziah Ismail, New Straits Times
The Malays have a saying: /Kuman di seberang laut nampak, gajah di depan mata tidak nampak/ &mdash; "You can see a germ across the sea but not an elephant in front of you." This is how we treat our neighbour, Singapore. Politics and our toubled relations in the past continue to cloud our feelings towards the republic and its people.
Because of that, we'd rather venture further abroad looking for best practices, when we can find them easily down south.

**** More ERP Gantries, Extended Hours From Nov <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_151015.html>
by Melissa Kok, Straits Times
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is setting up more Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) gantry points, and extending the operational hours of current points.

**** 1St Phase Of New KPE Operational Next Week <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_151022.html>
by Straits Times
The first phase of the 12km Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) has been completed, and is set to be operational by Sunday, August 26.
The first 3km stretch starts from the East Coast Parkway (ECP) in teh south, and runs under Geyland river, Sims Avenue, and the Pan Island Expressway (PIE).

**** Indonesia, Singapore To Meet Again On Economic Zone <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailbusiness.asp?fileid=20070823.L01&irec=0>
by Urip Hudiono, Jakarta Post
The government looks set to develop Special Economic Zones (SEZs) in the Batam, Bintan and Karimun islands with Singapore, after issuing regulations relating to implementation of the SEZs earlier this week.

**** The Sky Is The Limit For Malaysia And Singapore? <http://malaysia-today.net/blog2006/letters.php?itemid=7486>
by Imran Imtiaz Shah Yacob, Malaysia Today
The emerging scenario that is the zero-sum game of the Malaysia-Singapore open skies policy alludes to the possibility that this sector may only be liberalised later than sooner.

**** Many Singaporeans Prefer To Get Annuity Payout Before 85 Years Old <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/295457/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Many Singaporeans agree that the compulsory annuity is a logical scheme, but some still hope the government will consider lowering the payout age from 85 to about 70 years old.
They have also suggested that inflation be taken into consideration when deciding on the amount of monthly payout.

**** Appeal Of Falungong Duo Dismissed <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/207044.asp>
by Ansley Ng, Today
The High Court yesterday threw out the appeal of two Falungong members against an illegal assembly conviction. However Justice Kan Ting Chiu, who head the Magistrate's Appeal, reduced the sentences as both were first offenders.

**** Filipino IT Engineers Flocking To Singapore <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/206994.asp>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
Demand for them here leaves companies in the Philippines in the lurch.
See Also:
Pinoy IT Folks Migrating To Singapore <http://androtan.wordpress.com/2007/08/23/pinoy-it-folks-migrating-to-singapore/>, by Andro's Fuzzy Photo and Tech Blog. This news is really sad.

**** Insensitive To Advertise Beer On Buses <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_150729.html>
by Abdul Hadi Abdul Halim, Straits Times

**** Two CPF CHanges Will Benefit Members <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_150914.html>
by Kwong Koon Shing, Straits Times

**** Chinese Traditional Medicine On A Plate In Singapore <http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070822/3/36s14.html>
by Reuters
At "Red White &amp; Pure" in Singapore, diners can savour dishes prepared with traditional herbs such as selfheal spike and jujube, sip water from Mount Fuji, and end the meal on a sweet note with bird's nest ice cream.

**** Singapore's Tiger Eyes NZ Skies <http://www.stuff.co.nz/4174456a13.html>
by Roeland van den Bergh, New Zealand Dominion Post
Singapore budget airline Tiger Airways is expected to cross the Tasman by the middle of next year, putting even greater pressure on Air New Zealand, according to Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation managing director Peter Harbison.

**** 17 July 2007: Admission Into Local Universities <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/08/opq-17-july-2007-admission-into-local.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
It was a mistake and an embarrassing one, but hardly important in the bigger scheme of things. And who doesn't make mistake?

**** Expectations Of A "Post-LKY Era" <http://melvintansg.blogspot.com/2007/08/expectations-of-post-lky-era.html>
by Melvin Tan, A Singapore Odyssey