[MyAppleMenu] Sep 10, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 10 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Eyes Japan's Download Market
<http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411419/827950>
Reuters

Apple is pursuing new innovative ways to expand iTunes in Japan by trying to entice consumers to abandon mobile phone downloads for online downloads instead.

*** Why The iPod Is Losing Its Cool
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1869042,00.html>
David Smith, The Observer

Apple has added ever more extras to its digital music-player in a bit to stem falling sales. But fears are rising that the device is now too common to be cutting edge.

*** Apple Replacement Batteries Arrive Early
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/09/09.1.shtml>
Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer

[Opinion]

*** Is The iPod Era Over?
<http://www.davidgalbraith.org/archives/001176.html>
David Galbraith

Any viable full screen video iPod would be half way towards the two-thumb typing Sidekick style format that is now ubiquitous on Japanese and Europen phones.

*** Leaving .Mac
<http://www.macrecon.com/2006/09/08/leaving-mac/>
Mac Recon

The reality is that .Mac has stopped offering me what I need.

*** The Best Computer Upgrades Ever
<http://www.slate.com/id/2149179/?nav=tap3>
Paul Boutin, Slate

Whether you're a PC or Mac user, the humongous 24-inch iMac that Apple unwrapped on Wednesday drives home a point: Speed is good, but spread is better.

*** The Future Of Learning
<http://huibert-aalbers.com/blog/?p=44>
Huibert-Aalbers.com

[Review]

*** Bridges To Windows Strengthen
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003250372_ptmacc09.html?syndication=rss>
Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

Mac and Windows users have looked at each other for nearly 20 years across a raging river of uncertain compatibility as they exchange files, discs and drives. The river has become calmer and lost its rapids as Mac OS X has included more and better support for Windows formats, as developers have almost universally adopted document formats identical on both platforms, and as the idea of a Mac-only or Windows-only storage device has become absurd.

[Sidetrack]

*** A Phone And An iPod
Heng-Cheong Leong

Last year, at around this time, Steve Jobs introduced the ROKR iTunes phone, and the iPod nano.

Will he repeat the same feat this year? Will we get to see a new phone (iPod phone) and a new iPod (iPod nano with video)?

Last year, the high-end iPod with Video was introduced at a separate event.

Do we have to wait until October for the really expensive iPod again? Should I start spending my hard-earned cash this Wednesday, or should I wait some more?

*** Philadelphia Opens High-Tech School Of The Future
<http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700028>
Reuters

Homework is done on computer and sent to the teacher for grading, and parents can access the school's network to read teacher feedback on their child's progress.

*** You Want To Take A What?
<http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fi-tubs10sep10,1,7382903.story?track=rss>
Kimi Yoshino, Los Angeles Times

If you said 'bath,' you'd be in the minority at some upscale hotels, where tubs are giving way to luxury showers. Blame the ick factor.

*** Fewer Bags Overhead! But More Staring At The Carousel
<http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-insider10sep10,1,725430.column?track=rss>
Jane Engle, Los Angeles Times

In the month since a foiled jet-bombing plot in Britain set off another round of rule changes, Americans once again have proved to be hte ultimate Flexible Flyers.

*** At $9.95 A Page, You Expected Poetry?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/10/weekinreview/10mcgrath.html?ex=1315540800&en=8f78cd4bdf316df3&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Charles McGrath, New York Times

A grade-conscious student these days seems to need a custom job, and to judge from the number of services on the internet, there must be virtual mills somewhere employing armies of diligent scholars who grind away so that credit-card-equipped undergrads can enjoy more carefree time together.

[Ramblings]

*** And Don't Bring In Liquids Too!
Heng-Cheong Leong

Lee Hsien Loong said we will welcome foreigners.

Lee Kuan Yew said it will be for a better Singapore.

And then the police said, only if these foreigners are obedient little children... er... only if they are not terrorists. And we get to define who is and who isn't terrorists. Even when these terrorists took off all their clothes to... er demonstrate that they are hiding no bombs.

[News]

*** CSOs Disappointed With Space Set Aside For Protests At IMF/World Bank Meetings
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/229590/1/.html>
Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

*** SDP's Chee Soon Juan Stopped From Handing Out Pamphlets Urging Outdoor Rally And March
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/229598/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Customs To Make More Items Controlled To Help Stop Proliferation Of WMDs
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/229600/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Items like high-end computers, telecommunications systems, propulsion systems, space vehicles and related equipment, navigation and avionics and related software and technology will be controlled.

*** Singapore Clampdown Casts Shadow Over IMF-WB Meet
<http://newsinfo.inq7.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=20134>
AFP

Singapore's uncompromising clampdown on free speech has tarnished efforts to showcase itself as a modern Asian financial center during the International Monetary Fund and World Bank (IMF-WB) meetings, activists say.

*** Singapore Cited "Terrorist" Threat In Activist Ban: World Bank
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060909/bs_afp/singaporeimfworldbank_060909161719>
AFP

[Opinion]

*** Clamped By The North East Line (NEL) Train Doors
<http://mybloginthenet.blogspot.com/2006/09/clamped-by-north-east-line-nel-train.html>
Steph's Blog

Now I understand why people do such stunts.

*** The Cure
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/09/cure.html>
Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Election Watch

No country has gone from an autocratic/dictatorial state to a democratic one iwthout the mass participation of the people. What makes anyone think that Singapore is an exception?

*** Design Nostalgia
<http://coffeebanana.blogspot.com/2006/09/design-nostalgia.html>
Coffee Banana