[MyAppleMenu] Oct 23, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 23 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** How The iPod Changed Apple's Fortunes
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/10/23/ipodhalo/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Playlist

*** Unlocking The iPod
<http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/10/30/8391726/>
Robert Levine, Fortune

Jon Johansen became a geek hero by breaking the DVD code. Now he's liberating iTunes -- whether Apple likes it or not.

*** Five Years Of iPod
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/10/ipod5/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

It's become a part of my everyday life as well as my personal history.

*** Timeline: iPodding Through The Years
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2006/10/ipodtimeline/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Playlist

The iPod began life modestly, getting trotted out before the press in a small theater at Apple's headquarters. These days, it's a major attraction, drawing hundreds of reporters to a media event last month in San Francisco that featured appearances by the CEO of Disney and R&B singer John Legend. Here's what happened in between to make the iPod the rock star it is today.

*** iPod Thrives, But So Does The Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/22/ipodmac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Macworld

The advent of the earbud nation has to some extend overshadowed Apple's more venerable stalwart product, the very one from which this publication takes it name and upon which Apple built an empire: the Mac.

*** iPod Has 68mn Users In 5 Years
<http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=262573&leftnm=8&subLeft=0&chkFlg=>
Leslie D'Monte, Business Standard

*** The iPod Revolution
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-op-levy22oct22,0,5153422.story?coll=la-home-entertainment>
Steven Levy, Los Angeles Times

Five years ago Steve Jobs said his new music player would transform the world. He was right.

*** Apple Attacked Over Stock Scandal
<http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1928847,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=24>
Bobbie Johnson, The Guardian

Steve Wozniak has called for Apple to compensate shareholders hit by a scandal over stock options.

[Opinion]

*** So, This Guy At The Apple Store San Francisco Is A Jerk
<http://www.stuffonfire.com/2006/10/23/so-this-guy-at-the-apple-store-san-francisco-is-a-jerk/>
Stuffonfire.com

*** Not Polite Conversation But Law Firms Should Follow Apple's Strategy
<http://www.morepartnerincome.com/blog/_archives/2006/10/23/2437347.html>
Tom Collins, Morepartnerincome.com

*** Five Years Hence
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/10/ipodfive/index.php?lsrc=todayatpl>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

I thought that I, as an interested outside observer, might offer some ideas of what I'd like to see happen in the iPod world during the next five years.

*** Five Reasons The iPod Succeeded
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2006/10/ipodfive/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rick LePage, Playlist

>From its interface to its DRM, Apple's device was destined for greatness.

*** Really Switching: Using A Mac Like A Mac
<http://pixelspread.com/site/journal/61/really-switching-using-a-mac-like-a-mac>
Pixelspread

*** Someone Help Me I Am Becoming A Mac Zealot
<http://spooof.vox.com/library/post/someone-help-me-i-am-becoming-a-mac-zealot.html>
Spooof's Blog

*** The iPod As A Reflection Of You
<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-op-zengotita22oct22,1,2950670.story?coll=la-news-comment>
Thomas de Zengotita, Los Angeles Times

Apple's music player is the best realization of our culture of self-construction.

*** Congratulations, Apple
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/index.php?p=1612>
John Carroll, ZDNet

Apple's strong results reinforces the notion that people at the Cupertino-based company understand things about human demand that others (myself included) don't.

*** iPod: I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change
<http://www.salon.com/books/review/2006/10/23/levy/index.html?source=rss>
Farhad Manjoo, Salon

Apple's ingenious music player is 5 years old -- gorgeous, exciting, tempting. So why do I often wish it had never been invented?

[Review]

*** Little nano Beats All Of Apple's New iPods
<http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061022/NEWS/610220328/1001/BUSINESS>
Dan Scheraga, Associated Press

*** Building A 'Googley' Workforce
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/20/AR2006102001461.html?nav=rss_technology>
Sara Kehaulani Goo, Washington Post

To understand the corporate culture at Google, take a look at the toilets.

*** We're Google. So Sue Us.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/23/technology/23google.html?ex=1319256000&en=d39c7805d7c0f520&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Katie Hafner, New York Times

Google attracts millions of web users every day. And, increasingly, it's attracting the attention of plenty of lawyers, too.

[World]

*** How I Came To Love The Veil
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/20/AR2006102001259.html>
Yvonne Ridley, Washington Post

I used to look at veiled women as quiet, oppressed creatures -- until I was captured by the Taliban.

[Life]

*** And The Winner is?
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/manbooker2006/story/0,,1928489,00.html>
Jason Cowley, The Guardian

The culture of prize-giving has gone mad. It has replaced the art of criticism in determining cultural value and shaping public taste. We enjoy the glamour of a Booker or an Oscar night, but we lose something too in this orgy of awards.

*** The Starbucks Aesthetic
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/arts/22domi.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin>
Susan Dominus, New York Times

The chain is increasingly positioning itself as a purveyor of premium-blend culture.

*** And In The End
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2006/10/22/and_in_the_end/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Living+%2F+Arts+News>
Joan Anderman, Boston Globe

I had a dream, andi it had nothing to do with civil rights. I wanted to work at a record store.

[Expressions]

*** Salt Lick
<http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/la-tm-saltlick43oct22,1,5635264.story?coll=la-headlines-west>
Edan Lepucki, Los Angeles Times

[Ramblings]

*** All Are Equal...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Let's not have a country where some men are more equal than others.

Tan Kin Lian, CEO of NTUC Income, commented <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2006/10/negative-headline-is-unfair.html> on the importance of innocence until proven guilty, especially with respect to "sensational or negative" articles from the mass media.

However, he drew a line between private suits versus suits brought on by the government. "It is a different matter, if the case is taken by the public prosecutor," he wrote. "The prosecutor has a duty to carry out some investigation to be satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to press a case."

This, I feel, is an extremely dangerous line to draw. The public prosecutor has a duty, that's right, but that does not mean the duty has been fulfillled. Corruption, incompetence, political pressure, or even plain old honest mistakes, are just some of the reasons we cannot simply just blindly trust the public prosecutor. Even when we know the public prosecutor is a honest competence man.

The courts decide who is innocent and who is guilty, and all men are innocent until proven guilty by the courts. To say that suspects sued by Lee Kuan Yew is more guilty than suspects sued by Random Person X is just plain wrong.

[News]

*** Took Leng How's Clemency Petition Rejected By The President
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/237172/1/.html>
Joanne Leow and Tze Siang, Channel NewsAsia

*** Comprehensive Review Of Land Transport System To Be Ready End 2007
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/237200/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

*** Standard Chartered Talk Stirs Dubai-Singapore Rivalry
<http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=stocksNews&storyID=2006-10-23T114645Z_01_NOA330669_RTRUKOC_0_FINANCIAL-STANCHART.xml&WTmodLoc=HP-C6-Shares-2>
Steve Slater, Reuters

Standard Chartered shares hit a six-month high on Monday on speculation that Dubai and Singapore might compete to build stakes, stoked by a newspaper report that Dubai's investment arm wanted to lift its holding to 20 percent.

*** Asia's Stem Cell City
<http://www.time.com/time/asia/covers/501061030/singapore.html>
Bryan Walsh, Time

When it comes to attracting stem-cell scientists, Singapore's biggest advantage may be what it's not doing: restricting research.

*** Singapore's Sept Consumer Prices Down 0.1% From A Month Ago
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/237106/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** Why Capitalists Love Singapore
<http://www.nationmedia.com/eastafrican/current/Opinion/opinion23100610.htm>
Oscar Kimanuka, The East African

The success of Singapore lies in its pro-business approach and its tough stance on public order.

*** Singapore Salvages Last Old Districts By Adapting Buildings To Modern Uses
<http://travel.canoe.ca/Travel/News/2006/10/22/2096462-ap.html>
Tanalee Smith, Associated Press

The URA is now looking at post-Second World War structures to protect, based on historical and social significance. Its efforts have been lauded as Southeast Asia's first large-scale urban conservation program.

*** Tighter Rules = Tighter Fists?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/150156.asp>
Lee U-Wen and Jasmine Yin, Today

Charities welcome stricter regulations but fear a drop in donatioins from public.

*** 'Skulls' Haunt Neighbours But It's Just Halloween Fun
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:24d4155c3707e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Kushwant Singh, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** Two Singapores
<http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2006/10/two_singapores.html>
Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

*** Fix The Problem Of Fare Overcharging In Buses. It's Been A Flaw For Too Long
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:bb155f4ce856e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Lim Boon Hee, Straits Times

Why do the PTC and Land Transport Authority allow this bungling to persist and let the commuters be vvictimised by a defective system?

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]