[MyAppleMenu] Oct 22, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 22 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** A Little Byte Of Apple At The Core Of Microsoft
<http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/business/story.html?id=c01f5c1c-9b0e-428c-b25a-9f2fc2a4e9ae>
Steve Makris, Edmonton Journal

A small grop of Mac fans deep in Microsoft country have trouble expressing their allegiance. On the one hand, they are full-core Microsoft employees, but on the other hand they love Mac computers. Welcome to the Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit, MacBU (affectionately pronouned Macboo).

*** The Ubiquitous iPod Has Become A Form Of Expression For People
<http://www.fayettevillenc.com/article?id=245095>
Myron Pitts, Fayetteville

Five years is like 20 in digital entertainment, and the iPod has already left an Apple-shaped imprint on the world.

*** Happy Birthday, iPod
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/15817321.htm>
Troy Wolverton and John Boudreau, San Jose Mercury News

*** A Messy Age For Music
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/21/AR2006102100120.html?nav=rss_technology>
Mike Musgrove, Washington Post

Confusion reigns in the expanding digital world.

*** C4 Commenceth (Day One)
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/21/c4-commenceth-day-one/>
Dan Pourhadi, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** Changing Her Tune On Apple's iPod
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/21/AR2006102100122.html?nav=rss_technology>
Yuki Noguchi, Washington Post

I've bascially stopped buying music because I'm stuck at a digital music divide.

*** Once A Skeptic, Now Baptized Into The Mac
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/21/AR2006102100112.html?nav=rss_technology>
Scott Sternberg, Washington Post

My conversion to iPod is like a proverb: You can't criticize something for being "too easy."

*** Digital, Our Song For The Ages
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/21/AR2006102100105.html?nav=rss_technology>
Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post

This is not to priase the iPod so much as to point out that the demand for such a thing was there in 2001.

[Review]

*** Some Eye-Openers From The iPod Line
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/2003315219_ptmacc21.html>
Jeff Carlson, Seattle Times

*** Design Flaws With The New MacBook Pro Intel - My Personal Experience
<http://fgiasson.com/blog/index.php?title=design_flaws_with_the_new_macbook_pro_in&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1>
Frederick Giasson

I had to tame it and it frustrated me to have to spend that much time to make it works well enough to work with.

*** Mobiles Have 'Key Role For Young'
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6070378.stm>
Kay Withers, BBC News

More parents than ever now see mobiles as vital tools in supervising children's behaviour, giving them peace of mind, and making young people feel safer.

[World]

*** The Chinese Go After Corruption, Corruptly
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/weekinreview/22yardley.html?ex=1319169600&en=f8648eba70debf73&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Jim Yardley, New York Times

In an economic boom glided with excess and profiteering, official corruption is so widespread, and incerasingly so brazen, that it is almost taken for granted.

[Life]

*** Walk With Me
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/magazine/22lives.html?ex=1319169600&en=f87a81e1a67794e0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
D. T. Max, New York Times

Parents don't remember their own agonizing struggle to learn to walk -- pulling up on furniture, trying to balance on unsteady legs, those first tentative steps that seem to defy the more natural act of crawling, and then trumumph, the wonderment that af aster way to get around has been found. But I learned how hard it was to walk when I nearly lost the ability to.

*** Stuffing The Prudish Image
<http://www.thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/columnists/2006/10/22/insightdownsouth/15791878&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Over the past decade, a social change has been taking place in prim and proper Singapore -- a steady loosening of sexual mores, especially among men over 50.

*** At SMU, A Singapore Outlook
<http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/parkcities/stories/102106dnintlee.238ce4d.html>
Gretel C. Kovach, Dallas Morning News

"For Iraq to go from dictatorship to democracy with two elections in three years, is to expect too much. It is an effort for the long haul."

[Opinion]

*** Western Model Not Applicable
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/Perspective/22Oct2006_pers007.php>
Kamol Hengkietisak, Bangkok Post

An informal financial source has revealed that Temasek has lately come to the conclusion that buying up Shin Corp was a grave mistake and is seeking advice from financial consultants on how to resolve the issue. The advisers told Temasek to promote an understanding through the mass media that its real purpose was not to take over the giant Thai telecom company to gain management control but to seek a long-term investment opportunity. There was some effort to do this, but only a few print media sources were approached. temasek has yet to hold an official press conference for fear of repercussions, said the source.

*** Co-Opting, Singapore-Style
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-668.htm>
Yawningbread.org

The underlying problem is that the PAP is a party without much of a program, witness its thin but glossy manifesto for the May 2006 general election, full of sunshine pictorials and motherhood statements. Unlike parties in the West, it is co-opting people, not ideas, not even co-opting people for their ideas.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]