[MyAppleMenu] Oct 21, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 21 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** UBS: Buy Into Apple Ahead Of Macworld
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2162>
AppleInsider

Analysts for UBS Investment Research are thrilled with what they're seeing from Apple in recent quarters and are urging investors to buy shares of the company ahead of January's insanity-induced Macworld trade show in San Francisco.

*** Apple's iPod Is Turning 5
<http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/20/technology/apple_ipod/index.htm?postversion=2006102011>
Grace Wong, CNN/Money

The ubiquitous device has sparked frantic growth for Apple - and revolutionized the music business.

*** King Britt: Seeing Music
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/kingbritt/>
Dustin Driver, Apple

[Opinion]

*** iPod Turns 5. Competitors Turn Stomachs. And Apple's Just Gettin' Warmed Up
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3806>
David Berlind, ZDNet

*** MacBook Shutdowns: Case (Finally) Closed?
<http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/002978.html>
Harry McCracken, PC WOrld

My MacBook is working fine. But rather than being relieved and happy, I'm paranoid and suspicious -- and probably will be until I get through, oh, about sixty days without a shutdown.

*** Apple And Its Customers
<http://www.scripting.com/2006/10/20.html#appleAndItsCustomers>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

By not taking care of the problems quickly, as if the customers matter, Apple makes the customers stupid for having chosen the product. Sooner or later the smart people have to go elsewhere, even if they would prefer to use a Mac.

[Review]

*** Aracdrome
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/reviews/arcadrome/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Ultimately, Aradrome is a trifle -- there's not a lot of gameplay involved. But its "twitch factor" -- the level of raw, kinetic action you'll find here -- makes it a fun diversion worth checking out.

[Sidetrack]

*** $30,000 Apple Logo
Heng-Cheong Leong

Is this <http://davidweiss.blogspot.com/2006/10/30000-apple-logo.html> the world's most expensive yet most low-res Apple logo ever created? :-)

*** Spreading The Broadband Revolution
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/21/opinion/21kennard.html?ex=1319083200&en=690ce5f9891e74b7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
William E. Kennard, New York Times

The n ation should have a full-scale policy debate about the direction of the broadband internet, especially about how to make sure that all Americans get access to broadband connections.

*** Misadventures In Copyright
<http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2006/10/20/misadventures-in-copyright/>
A Whole Lotta Nothing

As the owner of a home, of course I don't "own" the design used to build it, but I don't see whyt he city, the builder, the copier shop, and the original architecture firm all had to stand in my way before I could see the plans.

*** How Difficult Could It Be To Find A Murphy Brown Clip?
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061020-8045.html>
Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

In an attempt to find out just how easy (or difficult) it is to get access to old television clips, jeff Ubois started a project: track down clips from the Murphy Brown/Dan Quayle debate in 1992. Though that sould simple enough, the quest turned out to be surprisingly difficult -- sometimes impossible.

*** Googling My Mother
<http://www.slate.com/id/2151869/>
John Dickerson, Slate

Writing a biography in the digital age.

*** Entrees Reach $40, And, Sorry, The Sides Are Extra
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/21/dining/21plate.html?ex=1319083200&en=3ae01162696dac7d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Jodi Kantor, New York Times

A new dish is appearing on menus across the nation. Restaurateurs say they have little choice other than offer it, though it horrifies many customers. That item is the $40 entree.

*** Market Value
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15348734/site/newsweek/>
Joanthan Ansfield, Newsweek

Wal-Mart's looking to expand its presence in China, one tray of carved pig's head at a time.

*** West 12th Street, By The Numbers
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/20/arts/design/20city.html?ex=1318996800&en=bcd28d6d0f6ed155&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Mimi Sheraton, New York Times

A walking tour of one of Greenwich Village's corridors, from the Hudson River to Fifth Avenue.

*** Temasek 'To Ditch Pong, Boonklee'
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/21/headlines/headlines_30016790.php>
The Nation

*** JB's New CIQ Complex Will Only Be Ready In February
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=225937>
Bernama

Johor Baharu's new RM1.1-billion Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex in Bukit Changar, which is supposed to be completed by December, will only be ready in February next year.

[Opinion]

*** Why Scream?
<http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk061021_503.html>
Luo Yifei, Lianhe Zaobao

[Technology]

*** StarHub's Free Access Doesn't Say Whether It Is Web Or Client-Based
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:7a085f4ce856e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Gary Foo Hee Wei, Straits Times

I urge StarHub to clarify this as soon as possible.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]