[MyAppleMenu] Oct 20, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 20 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** iPod At Five: The Little Gadget That Could
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6127805.html?part=rss&tag=6127805&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

The Macintosh may be the soul of Apple Computer, but the iPod is its wallet.

*** Is Mac Growth In Business World Next For High-Flying Apple?
<http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=41066&src=site-marq>
Thomas Claburn, ITNews

*** Microsoft: Excuses On iPod Virus Not Credible
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=16205>
Paul F. Roberts, InfoWorld

Security professionals, including Microsoft's own product release virus scanning chief, called Apple's efforts to deflect blame onto Microsoft misleading and said the batch of factory-infected iPods reveals a lack of throughness in the company's manufacturing process.

[Opinion]

*** Why I Can't Stand iTunes As A Podcatcher - Don't Stop Updating Podcasts!
<http://dyork.livejournal.com/230087.html>
Dan York

Note to Apple - don't take away my control like this!

*** Why I Love Apple (And Why I Hate Them Too)
<http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/313/C10129/>
T. O. Whenham, Mobile Magazine

*** Jackasses Of The Week: Gartner Analysts Mark Stahlman And Charles Smulders
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/10/gartner_jackasses>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Telling Apple to abandon their computer hardware business might just be the worst possible advice Gartner could plausibly offer.

[Review]

*** Manage iPhoto Libraries
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2006/10/iphotolibrarymanager/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

iPhoto Library Manager is a must-have utility for those who love iPhoto but whose photo collections have outgrown iPhoto's practical capabilities.

*** Aperture 1.5: Apple's Photo Workflow Application Gains Flexibility
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/reviews/aperture15/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Heid, Macworld

Apple addressd most of the design shortcomings that have kept many photographers away from Aperture.

[Internet]

*** ICANN Approves '.asia' Domain For Asia-Pacific Community
<http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/15799372.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Associated Press

[Tech & Science]

*** No Test Tubes? Debate On Virtual Science Classes
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/20/education/20online.html?ex=1318996800&en=f4f508ee263b6f87&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Sam Dillon, New York Times

A dispute with potentially far-reaching consequences has flared over how far the internet can go in displaying the brick-and-mortar laboratory.

*** Out Of Africa -- But From Which Tribe?
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/18/AR2006101801635.html?nav=rss_world>
Darryl Fears, Washington Post

DNA tests of blacks promise ancestry answers, but report adds to critics' doubts.

[Life]

*** Reading, Writing, And Righteousness
<http://www.citypages.com/databank/27/1350/article14799.asp>
Beth Hawkins, City Pages

That teacher who made the news for coming out to his second-grade class? My son is in that class.

[Ramblings]

*** Baby Bonuses: Does It Work?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, at least paying women to have babies seems to be working <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116128123297297938.html?mod=googlenews_wsj> in Estonia, Marcus Walker reported for the Wall Street Journal.

"In an attempt to stop [the] downward spiral, Estonia took a bold step: In 2004 it began paying women to have babies. Working women who take time off after giving birth get their entire monthly income for up to 15 months, up to a ceiling of $1,560. Non-wage-earners get $200 a month. The welfare perk -- known locally as the 'mother's salary' -- was a sharp about-face for the radically free-marketing government."

The question to my dear Singaporeans: do you want your tax money go toward such a programme? I strongly doubt Singaoreans will go for such a scheme...

[News]

*** Philip Yeo To Leave A*STAR, Take Up Top Job At SPRING Singapore
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/236652/1/.html>
Noor Mohd Aziz, Channel NewsAsia

*** Temasek To Open Office In Bangkok
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/20/headlines/headlines_30016701.php>
The Nation

The move comes at a time when the Singapore investment company's comporate activities in Thailand are coming under close scrutiny. And it appears to be an attempt at reducing some of the tension sparked by Temasek's controversial investment in Shin Corp, the country's biggest telecoms company, earlier this  year.

[Opinion]

*** Please Don't Make People Beg For Help
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/10/please-dont-make-people-beg-for-help.html>
My Singapore News

It is not an easy thing even for a desperate man to go knocking doors looking for help. It is thus better to reduce the cost of living instead than to keep raising the cost of essential goods services and expect people to come begging.

*** Singapore And Malaysia Will Both Lose If We Adopt A "Policy Of Minimum Engagement"
<http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2006/10/spore-and-msia-will-both-lose-if-we.html>
Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot

*** Exploding Singapore?
<http://violetdragon.blogspot.com/2006/10/exploding-singapore.html>
The Journey of Violet Dragon

Since the start of the MRT back in the 80s till now, I am starting to feel that the personal space of individual in the train is getting lesser and lesser.

*** Why Tie Our Judges' Hands With The Law?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/149747.asp>
Thomas Koshy, Today

Mandatory sentences limit their ability to fit punishment to the crime.

*** Use Handy Road To Plaza Singapura
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:627b26225a16e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Naleeza Ebrahim, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times

To extend this dotted lane any farther will prove counter-productive to the full-day bus-lane scheme at this location.

[Entertainment]

*** Rong Ji Cooked Food, Tekka Food Centre, Singapore
<http://dancingblueseal.blogspot.com/2006/10/rong-ji-cooked-food-tekka-food-centre.html>
Dancing Blue Seal

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>