[MyAppleMenu] Oct 24, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 24 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** The Perfect Thing
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/ipod.html>
Steven Levy, Wired

Five years ago, Apple engineers used foam core and old fishing weights to craft a model of a new MP3 player. The age of the iPod was about to begin.

*** MacBook Pros Now Have Intel 2 Duo Processors
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16258>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple has updated its entire 17- and 15-inch MacBook Pro range of notebooks to include new Intel Core 2 Duo processors.

*** New And Improved
Heng-Cheong Leong

Skype <http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/>: Make video calls to anyone on Skype, great quality video that just works, all for free of course.

Blue Giant <http://www.ethinkingcap.com/BlueGiant/>: Multitrack audio recording application.

Crossword Forge <http://www.solrobots.com/crosswordforge/>: Make your own interactive web puzzles.

Jack-O-Latern Screen Saver <http://www.killerrobots.com/screensavers/>: No getting your hands dirty carving the real thing.

*** Why Vertical Integration Is All The Rage
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/why-vertical-integration-is-all-the-rage/2006/10/23/1161455663075.html>
Sydney Morning Herald

In a marketplace that offers a bewildering array of hardware, software and services, the company that joins the dots stands a chance of winning, says Jack Schofield.

*** Apple Goes Back To Its Core In Touting Macs
<http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/adtrack/2006-09-17-apple-track_x.htm?csp=34>
Theresa Howard and Jefferson Graham, USA Today

Capitalizing on its iPod chic -- and with a lineup of Macs transformed last spring with Intel chips to talk about -- Apple again has been flexing its marketing muscle behind its computers.

*** The Apple iPod Turns Five
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061021_515771.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

No other media player has come close to its success since its launch in 2001. Where will the iPod go in the next five years?

*** Apple's iPod Looks Great At 5 Years Old
<http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=2600145&page=1>
Jonathan Silverstein, ABC News

Nothing even comes close to unseating the iPod as No. 1 portable media player.

[Opinion]

*** How Did We Ever Live Without The iPod?
<http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1024/p15s02-bogn.html>
Clayton Collins, Christian Science Monitor

It's love.

*** Happy Birthday, iPod: Top Ten Reasons Why I Hate You
<http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/happy-birthday-ipod-top-ten-reasons-why-i-hate-you-209439.php>
Charlie White, Gizmodo

*** To My Best Friend: Happy Birthday!
<http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2006/10/24/sports/pages.to.my.best.friend.happy.birthday!.html>
John Pages, Sun Star Cebu

Steve Jobs, what a proud dad you are today.

*** Analysis: iPod At 5 Is Still The Top Dog
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2035954,00.asp?kc=PCRSS04029TX1K0000633>
Mike Kobrin, PC Magazine

*** Found: 1 Black 30 GB Video iPod. Is It Yours?
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3810>
David Berlind, ZDNet

It's interesting to me how Apple actually makes it hard for me to be a good Samaritan in this case.

[Review]

*** Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/review-microsoft-natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000/>
Chris Howard, Apple Matters

*** Trnasportable iTunes And iPhoto Libraries
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2006/10/transtunesphoto/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>

*** At U.S. Borders, Laptops Have No Right To Privacy
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/24/business/24road.html?ex=1319342400&en=197e01a651dc50ac&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Joe Sharkey, New York Times

*** Microsoft Sets Sender ID Free
<http://news.com.com/2100-1029_3-6128763.html?part=rss&tag=6128763&subj=news>
Joris Evers, CNET News.com

*** IBM Sues Amazon For VIolating 18-Year-Old Patents
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2035884,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Evan Schuman, Ziff Davis Internet

IBM is suing Amazon.com, accusing the bookseller turned Web megastore of knowingly using IBM's techniques for selling things online.

[Tech & Science]

*** Knowing The Universe In Detail (Except For That Pesky 96 Percent Of It)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/24/science/space/24essa.html?ex=1319342400&en=5d5e5fa809cfca7a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

We now know enough to say that the universe is precisely "preposterous," in the words of Sean Carroll. Michael turner likes to say, "We know much, but we understand litt.e'

[Life]

*** If You Don't Buy This Newspaper...
<http://www.slate.com/id/2152033/>
Jack Shafer, Slate

We'll shoot your democracy.

*** At Long Last, A Neglected Language Is Put On A Pedestal
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/23/world/americas/23brazil.html?ex=1319256000&en=34f8231807f318e1&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Larry Rohter, New York Times

The Museum of the Portuguese Language dedicated to the proposition that Protuguese speakers and their language can benefit from a bit of self-affirmation and self-advertisement.

*** Commuters Call For Further Improvements To Bus Services
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/237358/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** First Impressions Of Singapore
<http://lemonadeland.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/first-impressions-of-singapore/>
Lemonade's Land

The first thing that struck me about Singapore is that it feels like a tropical rain forest -- with palm trees, a rainbow of flowers and humidity that would cause even a camel to pant from thirst.

*** The Political Price Of Educating Singaporeans
<http://aaron-ng.info/blog/the-political-price-of-educating-singaporeans.html>
Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

*** 'Elitist' Blogger Counselled
<http://solitairejoker.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/elitist-blogger-counselled/>
The Odd Joker

The machinery of damage control has already been started.

*** Scholar Behaving Badly
<http://desperateyouth.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/scholar-behaving-badly/>
Desperate Youth

*** Can Singapore Afford To Become A True Democracy?
<http://bourboncoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/can-spore-afford-to-become-true.html>
Bertrand Teo, The Social Chameleon's Journal

Can we really afford to become such an open nation that we would like to be?

[Entertainment]

*** The Heart Of Dining
<http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2006/10/heart-of-dining.html>
Singapore Life And Times

Shin Kushiya: If our dining experience is anything to go by, it has already lost its "heart" in putting the customer first.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]