[MyAppleMenu] Nov 2, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 2 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Survey Says: 58% Of iPod Owners "Likely" To Buy A Zune
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/11/1/5826>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Apparently 58 percent of existing iPod owners who responded said that they were likely to choose a Zune.

*** Apple Flaw Kicks Off Second Month Of Bugs
<http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/344>
Robert Lemos, Security Focus

Security researchers published on Wednesday the details of a flaw in Apple's Airport wireless driver.

*** How iTunes Saved 'The Office'
<http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/ny-ettel4954426nov01,0,7904591.column?coll=ny-entertainment-columnists>
Newsday

*** Bonjour! From iTunes
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6131652.html?part=rss&tag=6131652&subj=news>
Candace Lombardi, CNET News.com

CNET News.com has received reports from users that a glitch in the iTunes 7.02 software brings them to the wrong version of the iTunes Store.

*** Apple Unveils iTunes Latino
<http://news.com.com/2100-1026_3-6131455.html?part=rss&tag=6131455&subj=news>
Candace Lombardi, CNET News.com

Apple has added a new portal to its iTunes store that highlights Latino entertainment.

*** Parallels Adds Installation Assistant
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/11/01/parallels/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

The software automates the installation of Window XP or Vista RC2.

*** New And Improved
Heng-Cheong Leong

Absolute Backgammon <http://www.bestbackgammon.com/absolute/>: Backgammon.

Dragster <http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/dragster/>: Takes the dag out of file transfers.

NetworkLocation <http://centrix.ca/NetworkLocation/>: With a single mouse click, you can set some of the most frequently changed settings you alrady manually set when you move your computer.

[Opinion]

*** Computer Friday?
<http://bikefridaywalter.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/computer-friday/>
Foldable Walter

*** Apple Comes To Albuquerque And Gets A Warm Welcome
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Orchant/?p=261>
Marc Orchant, ZDNet

*** My Love/Hate Relationship With Apple And Their DRM
<http://airwaterunix.org/?p=96>
Air. Water. UNIX.

*** The Human Interface Guidelines And Interface Builder Annoyances
<http://www.mygreenjar.com/?p=15>
My Green Jar

I can't help but feel that Interface Builder in its present state is only half the tool it could have been.

*** Another Minor AirPort Vulnerability Exposed
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx/.3c83c4b9?@709.eokWbQ7Sto5@>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

*** MacExpo 2006 Lacking In Excitement
<http://lowendmac.com/coventry/06/1101.html>
Joshua Coventry, Low End Mac

[Review]

*** Trusted Computing For Mac OS X
<http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter10/tpm/>
Amit Singh

*** Writing Environments, Plus Two New Outliners
<http://www.atpm.com/12.11/atpo.shtml>
ATPM

*** iTunes 7.0.2
<http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2006/11/itunes_702.html>
Scott Gibertson, Wired News

I highly recommend the upgrade based on the speed improvement alone.

*** Making A Smooth Move From .Mac To Google
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2006/11/01/making-a-smooth-move-from-mac-to-google.html>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Network

Getting your mail, address book, calendar, online storage, online photos, and blog squared away are among the topics we'll investigate.

[Sidetrack]

*** Walkman Designer Retires
Heng-Cheong Leong

Nobutoshi Kihara, 'Mr Walkman', has retired from Sony <http://www.bruneitimes.com.bn/details.php?shape_ID=9056>. "Back in my days," he said, "we had to draw product designs on papers. I would close my eyes and imagine our products. I would imagine joggers with Walkmans to see how the hinges should move or how the products fit into the lives of the users."

Steve Jobs, in the past, has declared his admiration of Sony. Maybe he should consider bringing this guy out for lunch.

*** You Do Know Computers Can Also Play MP3s, Right? And I Can Also Daydream About MP3s Too
Heng-Cheong Leong

A UK law firm is arguing that "businesses should clamp down on iPod use in the workplace because it enables employees to slack off and shut out their colleagues," reports Jason Stamper <http://www.businessreviewonline.com/blog/archives/2006/11/ipods_should_be.html>.

The question that remains unanswered though is this: why do employees want to use iPods during work?

[Wintel]

*** Cingular Sides With Microsoft Against Apple
<http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/3867>
David Haskin, Computerworld

*** Vista, The Five Year Old's OS
<http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2006/11/01/vista-the-five-year-olds-os/>
A Whole Lotta Nothing

Is there an "expert mode" in Vista I can set so I'm not treated like this is my first computer the next time I use it?

*** Is Virtualization Real?
<http://www.ddj.com/dept/architect/193402911>
Michael Swaine, Dr Dobb's

Virtualization abstracts out things -- like hardware, operating systems, and applications. So what's the big deal?

*** I Bet Somebody Got A Really Nice Bonus For That Feature
<http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/11/01/922449.aspx>
The Old New Thing

As my colleague Michael Grier put it, "Not many people have gotten a raise and a promotion for stopping features from shipping."

*** Study: Computer Games Help Alzheimer's Patients
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2049867,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Stacy Lawrence, Ziff Davis Internet

When merged with regular medication and in-person cognitive stimulation, structured computer-based games can help Alzheimer's patients improve their memory, according to a new study.

[Internet]

*** Web Inventor Fears For The Future
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6108578.stm>
BBC News

The British inventor of the internet says he is worried about the way it could be used to spread "misinformation and undemocratic forces".

*** What Joy Is Missing
<http://www.slate.com/id/2152620/>
Laura Shapiro, Slate

The latest edition of America's kitchen bible falls short.

[Ramblings]

*** What's Behind MediaCorp's Move?
Heng-Cheong Leong

The general public may never know -- but then, how to keep a secret within more than 2 person? -- what's going on inside MediaCorp's news operation... However, here's an alleged insider giving us the dirt <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/11/behind-mano-sabnanis-resignation-at.html>.

[News]

*** Sarong Party Girls
<http://www.telegraphindia.com/1061102/asp/calcutta/story_6943476.asp>
Rupali Ghosh, Telegraph Calcutta

Out to catch Caucasian men, the SPGs, dubbed shameless, have found a spokesperson.

*** Immigration Turns Back 200
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/11/2/nation/15894206&sec=nation>
Meera Vijayan and T. Thilagesh, The Star

About 200 Malaysian who wanted to enter Singapore by tendering their restricted passports were turned away by Immigration officers at the Johor side of the Causeway.

*** Singapore's Economy Poised To Take Off
<http://www.investmentexecutive.com/client/en/News/DetailNews.asp?id=36295&IdSection=23&cat=23&BImageCI=1>
Dwarka Lakhan, Investment Executive

Myriad factors are making Singapore an attractive destination for investors who are seeking long-term value.

*** Judge Grants Chee Copies Of Police tape
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/152164.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

Copies of videotape evidence that showed Opposition politician Chee Soon Juan and two others speaking to the public at a Yishun market square will be given to the trio, a district court ruled yesterday.

[Opinion]

*** Official Endorsement For Lottery Operators' Meet Is Disappointing
<http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2006/11/official-endorsement-for-lottery.html>
Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot

Is economics all that the government cares about?

*** Why Peasants Are Satisfied With Bus Services
<http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/129273.html>
mollymeek

*** I Got The Power
<http://geordieinsingapore.blogspot.com/2006/11/i-got-power.html>
Geordie In Singapore

Singaporeans trash Singapore because of its perceived failings. I am a believer in Singapore because I am a convert to Singapore, the idealogy and the country.

*** Human Rights Vs. Cultural Norms
<http://humanrights4all.blogspot.com/2006/11/human-rights-vs-cultural-norms.html>
Human Rights - Human Wrongs

Do we tell Singapore that they're violating universal human rights, or do we accept that these people have voluntarily given up what we consider essential because they think something else is more important?

*** What's Ethnically Wrong Can't Be Politically Right
<http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/02/opinion/opinion_30017777.php>
Suthichai Yoon, The Nation

[Technology]

*** Singapore's A*STAR Creates Lab For Intelligent Home
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/238848/1/.html>
Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>