[MyAppleMenu] Nov 1, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 1 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** To Boldly Go Where The iPod Has Gone Before
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/01/technology/circuits/01zune.html?_r=1&ref=circuits&oref=slogin>
Roy Furchgott, New York Times

"The race is for second place."

*** Want To Repair Your iPod? Anyone?
<http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Want_to_Repair_your_iPod_Anyone/551-76866-615.html>
Techtree.com India

A man from 'aamchee Mumbai' claims to be able to repair all Apple iPods...

*** Wireless Devices Send Mixed Radio Signals
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-spectrum1nov01,1,6995280.story?track=rss>
Jim Puzzanghera, Los Angeles Times

Modulators that drivers use to listen to satellite radio or iPods can alter reception in nearby cars.

*** Beijing Gets Largest Apple Store Yet
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16345>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** iTunes Japan Competitor Quits Market
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16344>
Macworld UK

Apple has claimed another scalp in the music download market; this time a firm called Oricon has revealed plans to leave the Japanese download market.

*** Apple Updates Xcode Tools
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16339>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Apple Releases iTunes 7.0.2
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/10/31/itunes/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Playlist

*** Apple Overtakes Dell In UK Education Market
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16335>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

*** New iPod Shuffle Available Worldwide This Friday
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/10/31/shuffle/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

Apple announced Tuesday that its second-generation iPod shuffle will be available in stores worldwide beginning Friday, Nov 3, 2006.

*** New And Improved
Heng-Cheong Leong

Tangerine <http://www.tangerine.net.au/>: Color management software provides graphic designers and creative professionals with a unique color workflow experience.

ZeusDraw <http://www.chromaticbytes.com/index.php>: Vector drawing program with a fluid, graceful interface, great brushes and a host of other features.

GeoParty! <http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/html/GeoParty.html>: Test your trivia knowledge.

[Opinion]

*** Ok, Buy A Mac (But Be Careful)
<http://mikemchargue.com/2006/11/ok-buy-mac-but-be-careful.html>
Mike McHargue

In this world of Apple outsourcing engineering and manufacturing to other companies you never know what you  could end up with.

*** Insomnia Film Festival
<http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/wordpress/2006/10/31/insomnia-film-festival/>
Dave Slusher, Evil Genius Chronicles

Apple preserves the right to do things with it at their will, but doesn't subtract that right from you. That's a step up from typical in this sort of things.

*** Macs, While Usually Dependable, Have Recently Proven Troublesome
<http://korovaorange.blogspot.com/2006/10/macs-while-usually-dependable-have.html>
The Villa Straylight

*** My Problem With Apple
<http://www.craigbayer.com/2006/10/my_problem_with.html>
Craig Bayer, Bayerworld

I am done with Apple.

*** Can The iPod Ever Be A Great Gaming Device?
<http://techdigest.tv/2006/09/can_the_ipod_ev.html>
Tech Digest

[Review]

*** iHome iH5 iPod Clock/Radio
<http://techdigest.tv/2006/08/review_ihome_ih.html>
Tech Digest

*** Interarchy 8.2: File Transfer Utility Sports New Interface And Added Features
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/reviews/interarchy82/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

The new interface significantly enhances what is already a first-class FTP applications.

*** Inside The Mac Pro: Graphics Cards
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/features/macprogc/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen and James Galbraith, Macworld

Three different graphics-card options offer something for everyone.

*** Slinging On My Mac At Last
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/10/slingbox/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

*** The Trouble With Multi-Core Computers
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17682&ch=infotech>
Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review

Adding more cores to a computer makes it faster, but it also makes it tricky to program. How will computer scientists cope?

*** Technology Of The Beast
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72041-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Lore Sjoberg, Wired News

One of the fun things about watching technology march by like a parade -- one where all the bads get smaller and rounder as time goes on -- is seeing new interpretations of the Bible based on the lastest advances.

*** Mind Over Matter
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/11/01/bifurcated_head/>
JC Hallman, Salon

It wasn't the promise of saving lives that kept me attending an EMT class, but my will to witness the mystery of life in a bifurcated head.

*** Signs Of Love Are Written In A New Language
<http://www.boston.com/yourlife/relationships/articles/2006/10/31/signs_of_love_are_written_in_a_new_language/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Living+%2F+Arts+News>
Donald M. Murray, Boston Globe

I am a quick study. It took me less than a decade to feel comfortable hugging a son-in-law in my driveway or a young lady friend on a sidewalk.

[Expressions]

*** A Moment Ago
<http://www.slate.com/id/2151361/>
Philip White, Slate

[Ramblings]

*** We Have Singapore Air, But Not Singapore Ship And Singapore Train
Heng-Cheong Leong

The Singapore government often boost that we have a super effficient airport over at Changi.

Has anyone looked at the immigration facilities and operations in Woodlands or at Habourfront <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/151956.asp>, and see how efficient (or lack of) they are?

[News]

*** Singapore Parliament Opens Thursday, First Sitting Since May Election
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=227376>
Bernama

The Singaproe parliament will sit on Thursday, the first time since the May general election when the ruling People's Action Party returned to power with 66.6 per cent popular votes, winning 82 out of 84 seats.

*** Public Transport Council Survey On Bus Satisfaction Finds Slight Improvement
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/238826/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

The survey found that satisfaction has gone up to 8 in 10 respondents, up from 7 in 10 last year.

*** The Worst Of Singapore Haze Is Over, Says NEA
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/238782/1/.html>
Yvonne Yong, Channel NewsAsia

The National Environment Agency says that the air quality will not get any worse for the remainder of the year.

*** Press Digest - Singapore Newspaper - Nov 1
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/061031/3/44gje.html>
Reuters

*** Chee's Ghandi's Motions Rejected
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/151947.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

*** Sructural Changes At MediaCorp For Greater Integration Across Platforms
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/238639/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** Small Wonder Why NUS Alumni Not Donating Back To Alma Mater
<http://aaron-ng.info/blog/small-wonder-why-nus-alumni-not-donating-back-to-alma-mater.html>
Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

This is because in NUS, students have no voice.

*** The Royal Shaft
<http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=243&Itemid=31>
Asia Sentinel

If your family has been in power for almost 50 years and you live in a very small country and can keep tabs on anyone of any significance, it can be difficult to understand the workings of power in more complex societies. Even royal families may be less tight-knit than your own.

*** A Government For All Its Intelligence, Is Nothing If It Lacks Empathy
<http://kitana.wordpress.com/2006/10/30/a-government-for-all-its-intelligence-is-nothing-if-it-lacks-empathy/>
Coffee And Cigarettes

*** Drama In The Courtroom
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/11/drama-in-courtroom.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

I guess we all get careless once in a while.

*** Postcard From Singapore - The Meeting Of World Bank And IMF
<http://globalpolitician.com/articledes.asp?ID=2271&cid=10&sid=46>
Sameer Dossani, Global Politician

Aside from the lost sleep, the only cost for the license was $20. Free speech may not be free in Singapore, but it is cheap.

*** Son's Wheelchair Not Allowed In Candy Store
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:ee931f367dd9e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Molly Zhao Li Juen, Straits Times

Candy Empire: At the entrance there is a notice which reads: "Please do not bring your trolley or wheelchair into the shop."

*** Are Fees Of StarHub's Cable TV Competitive?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:a46436bfcce9e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Lawrence Chia Wan Leong, Straits Times

StarHub's basic subscription charges are higher in terms of service and programme content when compared to the neighbouring countries.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]