[MyAppleMenu] Nov 3, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 3 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Apple Introduces 8GB Product Red iPod Nano
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16369>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple has upgraded its Product Red iPod nano, adding an 8GB version to the orginally announced 4GB model.

*** Analyst: Apple Not Showing An Interest In The Enterprise
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2050658,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Scott Ferguson, eWeek

Despite a robust fourth quarter financial posting and the growing popularity of the Macintosh line, Gene Munster, a senior analyst at Piper Jaffray, wrote in his latest report that Apple is not making noticeable inroads into the enterprise market.

*** Apple Releases X11 Update
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/11/2/5843>
Jeff Smkil, Ars Technica

*** He Creates His Own Product With Apple
<http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,116697,00.html?>
Liew Hanqing, The New Paper

Darran Nathan has developed a product with the assistance of computer giant Apple. Called the BioBoost accelerator, it harnesses the power of Intel-based Mac computers to speed up applications used in life sciences.

*** Analyst On Unanswered Apple Questions
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/11/02/unanswered.apple.questions/>
MacNN

*** Mac Marketshare Up 34.6% In A Year
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16360>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Apple Struggles To Fix iTunes Stutter Glitch
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193501253&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News>
Gregg Keizer, InformationWeek

The latest update of iTunes is supposed to correct problems with the previous release, but users on Apple's own discussion forums are reporting mixed success, with some saying the "stuttering" problem remains.

*** Aperture 1.5.1, Demo Download, New RAW Support Coming Today
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/11/02/aperture/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** Apple Reveals "Touchscreen" iPod? Not So Fast...
<http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/02/apple-reveals-touchscreen-ipod-not-so-fast/>
Darren Murph, Engadget

*** Macs Join The Masai Tribe
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2006/11/masai/>
Barbara Gibson, Apple

*** Touch-Screen Leaks And Newer Notes
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/11/newernotes/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

*** New And Improved
Heng-Cheong Leong

JourneyX <http://www.maciteasy1.de/content/journalx/journalx_en.html>: Archive and manage any kind of documents.

Christmas Super Frog 1.7.6 <http://www.koingosw.com/products/christmassuperfrog.php>: Santa's sleigh has broken down, scattering his gifts all around the town. Now it is up to you to recover all the missing presents before Christmas arrives.

[Opinion]

*** An Honest Options Problem
<http://www.macalope.com/?p=90>
The Macalope

Options that are "underwater" still have a value if there is a reasonable expectation that the price of the stock will rise.

*** Excitable Mac Users Freak Out Over Typo
<http://www.macuser.com/humor/excitable_mac_users_freak_out.php?lsrc=murss>
Scott Silverman, MacUser

To me it has pure typo written all over it.

*** The Reality About Steve Jobs And Stock Options
<http://www.macjournals.com/news/2006/11/01.html#a35>
Mac Journals News

*** A Switching Tale
<http://www.justsetups.com/2006/11/03/a-switching-tale/>
JustSetups.com

I must say I have never felt so productive in front of a computer before.

*** Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro Runs 40 Degrees (F) Cooler
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=323>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

It runs much cooler than my previous MacBook Pro.

*** Is iPhone The Holy Grail Of Podcasting?
<http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/topnews/wpn-60-20061102IsiPhoneTheHolyGrailofPodcasting.html>
Joe Lewis, WebProNews

One has to believe that podcasters the world over are drooling over the prospect of their shows being made available to such an audience... all without the hassle of a single wire.

*** Why Is Adobe Soundbooth Intel-Only?
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/11/soundbooth_intel>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

My best guess is that Soundbooth is not written entirely in standard C or C++, but instead, that parts of it are written in x86 assembly and/or that parts are vectorized, with C code written specifically for the Intel SSE instruction set.

*** The Perils Of iPod Movie-Watching
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/11/ipodmovies/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

[Review]

*** New MacBook Pro 'One Cool Customer'
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9004725&source=rss_news10>
Ken Mingis, Computerworld

The Core 2 Duo-based laptops offer more speed, less heat.

*** iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation Disassembly
<http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPod-Shuffle-2nd-Generation/Disassembly>
iFixIt

[Sidetrack]

*** Are We Still In The Year Of The Laptops?
Heng-Cheong Leong

I always wonder why nobody considers adding a simple battery thingy onto iMacs and Mac minis, so that one can move the computers around the house without needing to shut down.

But here's a more "traditional" hack: turning a Mac mini to a portable <http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/homemade-mac-mini-portable-212087.php>.

*** Rumor Today: Free Shuffles
Heng-Cheong Leong

... if you are working at Apple, i.e.

According to this forum post <http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3011566#post3011566>, Apple is giving a free iPod shuffle to every "Full-time and part-time employee".

It's cheap, but it builds goodwill. Good job.

*** Building A Better Book Reader
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17714&z=295&p=1&ch=biztech>
Kate Baggott, MIT Technology Review

Publishers are tapping into a young audience by sending books to cell phones and flashing the text before users' eyes -- one word at a time.

*** Internet Still Second-Class Among Media?
<http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6132112.html?part=rss&tag=6132112&subj=news>
Harry Fuller, CNET News.com

[Linux]

*** Oracle's Red Hat Coup D'etat
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2050393,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Renee Boucher Ferguson, eWeek

[Tech & Science]

*** The Critical Distinction Between Science And Religion
<http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=q9m5wddcpjjfc3bwz2jwk7xv5t6ssf5h>
Richard P. Sloan, Chronicle Of Higher Education

Attempts to understand religious experience by scientific means can never be satisfying to religion. They can satisfy only science.

[Life]

*** Shifting Sands And A Slow Pace On The Georgia Coast
<http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/travel/escapes/03american.html?ex=1320210000&en=3138f9bc5ab274ca&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Robert Coram, New York Times

Walking along the boradwalks, just gazing at the salt marsh can be excitement enough.

*** Your Unfinished Basement Or Mine?
<http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=236&navCenterTop>
Franklin Scneider, Washington City Paper

My relationship went sour. I needed many women. I lived in the right place.

*** Last Dance
<http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=98507>
Josh Feit, The Stranger

Will Seattle voters put hardworking strippers out of work? A report from the front lines of the war on naked ladies, lap dances, and $5 cokes.

*** That '70s Show
<http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0644,sklar,74893,15.html>
Rachel Sklar, Village Voice

'Saturday Night Live' in the post-Tina Fey, YouTube unknown.

*** Mastering Art Of Governance Takes At Least 2 Terms In Government: MM Lee
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/239290/1/.html>
Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

*** Opening Address By Mr S R Nathan, President, At The Opening Of Parliament, 2 November 2006, 8.30PM: A Competitive Economy, An Inclusive Society
<http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20061102981.htm>
Singapore Government

*** Press Digest - Singapore Newspapers - Nov 3
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/061103/3/44iq6.html>
Reuters

The total taxes collected by the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore reached S$19.9 billion -- a five-year high -- in its financial year 2005-06, up 11 percent from the year before; Singapore intends to ride on China's economic growth wave for the next 10 to 15 years, former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew said.

*** Singapore: Took Leng How Hanged
<http://asiadeathpenalty.blogspot.com/2006/11/singapore-took-leng-how-hanged.html>
Asia Death Penalty

Wire services are reporting the Singapore government this morning hanged Malaysian man Took Leng How. He had been convicted of murdering an eight year-old girl in October 2004.

*** Singapore Counts Its Millionaires
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=113966>
DPA

The ranks of millionaires in Singapore have swelled to a record 1,738 as a result of the roaring stockmarket and buoyant economy, tax data showed Friday.

*** I Must Use 100 Phonecards In 2 Months Which Is About 4,000 Calls
<http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,116734,00.html?>
Low Ching Ling, The New Paper

SingTel is phasing out magentic phonecards by 31 Dec.

*** Longer Monitoring Of Taxi Phone Bookings
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/152405.asp>
Today

>From January, LTA will extend period to 11 pm in effort to improve standard.

*** Govt Pledge: No One Will Be Left Behind As Singapore Tackles Change
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:49c32519919ae010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times

Singapore's 11th Parliament opened yesterday evening, with the government pledging to build an inclusive society here even as the economy becomes plugged globally.

[Opinion]

*** Taboo Catch-Phrase?
<http://kitana.wordpress.com/2006/11/03/taboo-catch-phrase/>
Coffee And Cigarettes

*** Make Public Transport, Not Fares, World-Class
<http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,116705,00.html?>
Chu Chin Leng, The New Paper

While we push for a world-class public transport system, let's try out utmost to avoid having to impose world-class fares.

*** Solution To Elitism = Inclusive Society
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2006/11/solution-to-elitism-inclusive-society.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

*** Disabled Dad Thrown Out Of Candy Shop With Vulgarities
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:c56465bd057ae010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Catryna Zhang Ai Ling, Straits Times

Why build ramps in the mall only to limit access to certain shops? Are handicapped individuals allowed only to window shop?

*** IPT A Voluntary Programme To Keep NSmen Physically Fit
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:fc711d2b5d9ae010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Benedict Lim, Ministry of Defence, Straits Times

The IPT is not intended as a cost-cutting measure. It is designed to complement Remedial Training by offering NSmen a proactive option, rather than a remedial solution, to improve their level of fitness.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]