[MyAppleMenu] May 10, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 10 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Changes iPod License Fee
<http://www.smarthouse.com.au/iPods_And_Portable_Players/iPod_Accessories?Article=/iPods%20And%20Portable%20Players/iPod%20Accessories/B8G3H6R6>
David Richards, Smarthouse

Apple has canned its controversial "Made for Apple" iPod accessories licensing program, replacing it with a flat fee program that is easier for Apple to manage.

*** An Apple A Day: iPods Owners Sound Off On Technical Difficulties
<http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNews/view.bg?articleid=138599>
Michael Kanin, Boston Herald

iPods have a death rattle. And if you've ever seen the portable music player's frowny-face icon pop up, you know what it sounds like.

*** NetNewsWire 2.1 Is Here
<http://www.macuser.com/software/netnewswire_21_is_here.php>
Derik DeLong, MacUser

*** Sony Bows To Apple Format
<http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200605100172.html>
Asahi Shimbun

Sony on Tuesday announced a symbolic conession to Apple on digital audio technology. The company will make its latest music management software compatible with the AAC data compression technology used by Apple.

*** Apple's Chip Transplant Boosts Sales - Analyst
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39268059,00.htm>
Graeme Wearden, ZDNet UK

UBS believes that Mac sales could be up nearly ten percent year-on-year by September, thanks to the move to Intel chips.

*** iTunes Customers Furious Over "Chili Peppers" Promo
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/09/furious/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** France Could Offer Loophole For iTunes
<http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8HGCHJ00.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db>
Laurence Frost, Associated Press

Apple could negotiate new deals with record labels and artists to sidestep French government plans to open its exclusive iTunes music download format to rivals, under a draft Senate amendment to be voted on this week.

[Opinion]

*** Why iTunes Videos Are Not Widescreen
<http://domainofthebored.blogspot.com/2006/05/why-itunes-videos-are-not-widescreen_09.html>
Peter Hosey, Domain Of The Bored

*** Mac Switch? Mac Bore
<http://www.robmanuel.com/2006/05/02/mac-switch-mac-bore/>
Rob Manuel

Over the last two weeks I've fallen in love with my Mac.

*** iPod And India
<http://theonewhere.blogspot.com/2006/05/ipod-and-india.html>
Kesava Mallela, The One With All Other Ones

*** Is Apple Getting Complacent?
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/whatever-happened-to-the-applelution/>
Chris Howard, Apple Matters

[Review]

*** Griffin AirClick
<http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/airclick.html>
Robert Mohns, MacInTouch

*** With Their Intel Processors, The New Macintosh Models Are Two Computers In One
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/14537370.htm>
Julio Ojeda-Zapata, St. Paul Pioneer Press

Here's what you need to know about running Windows XP and Windows programs on a Mac.

*** Key Isolation Features In Mac OS X
<http://switchtoamac.com/site/key-isolation-features-in-mac-os-x.html>
Switch To A Mac

Aside from an awesome user interface and a great underlying architecture, Apple built OS X with security in mind.

[Wintel]

*** Rotten Effort
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=111186>
Don Tennant, Computerworld

It's bad enough when Microsoft strong-arms other software vendors into submission as a means of thwarting competition. But when it engages in underhanded tactics to intimidate users in order to land a software deal, we have a very disturbing situation on our hands.

*** The Rise Of Independent Media
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000039>
Doc Searls, Linux Journal

What would happen if anybody could produce radio or TV programming as easily as they consume it? What woud happen if the natural limits to broadcasting went away?

*** A Helping Hand-Held For Flight Attendants
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/09/business/09road.html?ex=1304827200&en=d5f87a9f178eb96d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Joe Sharkey, New York Times

[Linux]

*** Torvalds Admits Linux Kernel Concerns
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39268058,00.htm>
Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

[Expressions]

*** What Is Man That Thou Art Mindful Of Him
<http://www.slate.com/id/2137014/>
Todd Hearon, Slate

*** MDA Issues Decision On Exclusive Pay-TV Agreements
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/207580/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Still Alive And Well
<http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=187201541>
Jonathan Hopfner, EE Times

At the Semicon Singapore trade show here, George Lin, president of SEMI Southeast Asia, noted Singapore continues to attract investment and said predictions of a mass exodus of manufacturers to China has so far proved false.

*** Studying The Election Report Card
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/117540.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

MPs start post mortem of GE2006 campaign to draw lessons for future.

*** Singapore Wants To Train Its Armed Forces In India, Govt Positive
<http://www.indianexpress.com/story/4110.html>
Amitav Ranjan, Indian Express

Departing from its policy of allowing only joint exercises, India is preparing to open its terrain to Singapore by allowing it to station and train its army here.

*** Service Staff In Singapore Insensitive
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=95883>
DPA

One of the city-state's biggest shortcomings is lack of empathy from retail staff, defined as the degree of caring and individual attention given to customers.

*** Singaproe Air Hit By Headwind From Fuel Costs
<http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=mergersNews&storyID=2006-05-09T120133Z_01_SIN117960_RTRIDST_0_AIRLINES-SINGAPOREAIR-UPDATE-2-PICTURE.XML>
Jan Dahinten and Geraldine Chua, Reuters

*** Courts In Singapore Come Under Scrutiny
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/09/business/courts.php>
Donald Greenless, International Herald Tribune

Singapore's reputation for reliability in arbitrating commercial disputes is under increasing scrutiny.

[Opinion]

*** "Marxist Conspiracy" In Singapore
<http://tornandfrayed.typepad.com/tornandfrayed/2006/05/marxist_conspir.html>
Torn And Frayed In Manila

*** Look Closely At The Impact
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Wednesday/Letters/20060510081248/Article/index_html>
Sakra Obasi, New Straits Times

It is clear that a large part of Johor Baru's prosperity is due to the influx of tourists from Singapore. Therefore one should look at the impact of the RM20 levy on cars from the country.

*** Keep National Politics Out Of Town Council Management. Hold Municipal Elections
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,391872,00.html?>
Goh Joo Chuan, Straits Times

*** Why 'People Hero' Lost The Hearts Of 33% Of Voters
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,392033,00.html?>
Jacob Tan Teck Lee, Straits Times

*** Winning The Hearts Of Voters Just As Important
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,392024,00.html?>
Victor Ng Beng Li, Straits Times

*** Why The Bunny Didn't Bite The Carrot
<http://jui-ce.blogspot.com/2006/05/why-bunny-didnt-bite-carrot.html>
Jui-ce

*** Malaysia LCCT Vs Singapore BT
<http://blog.dwimmer.com/?p=55>
Dwimmer Blog

*** Falling In Love With Singapore
<http://lynnx01.blogspot.com/2006/05/falling-in-love-with-singapore.html>
Of Hope And Love

I don't know what is it about Singapore, but I see many people 'falling in love' with this small country. Funny how it seems, because I myself also once fell in love with this small country.

*** 7 Minutes In The Abyss
<http://riot.typepad.com/the_lucretius_plan/2006/05/7_minutes_in_th.html>
The Lucretius Plan

Singapore is often described as boring, yet any city that seems so keen to ensure that its citizens have no time to ponder their boredom is probably getting the balance about right.

*** Results In And Some Thoughts
<http://staff.science.nus.edu.sg/~sivasothi/blog/index.php?entry=/life%20in%20Singapore/20060607-ge_reflections.txt>
Otterman Speaks...

*** Gracious And Transparent? Not The PAP Part Of The Government...
<http://chuacw.ath.cx/blogs/chewy/archive/2006/05/10/3781.aspx>
This Side Of Paradise

If the leader doesn't lead, does he expect the followers to follow?

*** It Is Better To Be Feared Than To Be Loved
<http://chemgen.blogspot.com/2006/05/it-is-better-to-be-feared-than-to-be.html>
Chemical Generation Singapore

The original message was perhaps "better be sure of your facts in politics with us" became garbled along the way to become "we will destroy all opponents mercilessly, that is the MIW way" by the time it reached Singaporeans.

*** The Truth About Singapore Media
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/05/truth-about-singapores-media.html>
Singabloodypore

The problem with the system is who's at the top.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]