[MyAppleMenu] May 9, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 9 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Ruling On Apple Name Penetrates To Music's Core
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060509.wxapple09/BNStory/Business/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20060509.wxapple09>
Grant Robertson, Globe And Mail

Thirty years after it was founded, Apple has evolved into a music-industry powerhouse that is making some of the industry's bigggest name uncomfortable with its rise to fame.

*** Apple's Head Lawyer Steps Down
<http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-6069881.html?part=rss&tag=6069881&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Apple's top lawyer has left the company, in the third high-level departure from the Mac maker in recent months.

*** Expert: McAfee Mac Security Report Is 'Scaremongering'
<http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=43170>
Walaika K. Haskins, NewsFactor Network

"It is a speculative house of cards resting on a foundation of shaky statistics and questionable assumptions."

*** Bloggers On Apple-Beatles Fight: Let It Be
<http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-6069719.html?part=rss&tag=6069719&subj=news>
CNET News.com

*** Steve Jobs Invites Beatles To iTunes
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/05/08/beatles/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Playlist

"We have always loved the Beatles, and hopefully we can now work together to get them on the iTunes Music Store," said Steve Jobs.

[Opinion]

*** DVD Madness
<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2006/05/dvd_madness.html>
Robert O'Callahan, Well, I'm Back

newer Macs include Matshita drives that are apparently exceptionally difficult to mod, and for which no modded firmware is available. furthermore these drives forbid access to the raw DVD data if there is a region mismatch, so the VLC and Xine/mplayer approach doesn't work. Foiled!

*** iTunes Music Store And Me: Parting Ways
<http://www.appleswitcher.com/blog/?p=13>
AppleSwitcher Blog

Apple "obsolescenced" me, that's what.

*** Apple Vs Apple: Why Didn't Apple (The Music One) Win? We Explain All...
<http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2006/05/08/apple_vs_apple_why_didnt_apple_the_music_one_win_we_explain_all.html>
Charles Arthur, The Guardian

Personally, I thought the "data transmission" argument held a lot of water.

*** Steve Jobs Broek Hollywood's Back With iTunes
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/steve-jobs-broke-hollywoods-back-with-itunes/>
David Parmet, Apple Matters

We are all producers now. Hollywood can either catch up or die.

*** Ripped And Ready
<http://irish.typepad.com/irisheyes/2006/05/ripped_and_read.html>
Bernie Goldbach, IrishEyes

I like knowing that my pleasant iPod experience means the record monopoly has lost control of the consumer experience.

*** Loser Pays
<http://www.rexblog.com/2006/05/08#a10165>
Rexblog.com

[Review]

*** Five Reasons Why The iPod Shuffle Is The Ultimate MP3 Player
<http://marilyncarolyn.blogspot.com/2006/05/five-reasons-why-ipod-shuffle-is.html>
Marilyncarolynblogolyn

Here are the top 5 reasons why I believe that the 512 MB Shuffle is still the best mp3 player on the market today.

[Sidetrack]

*** Meanwhile, Enjoy The Music
Heng-Cheong Leong

The question is: can you do this <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yanHg3f-JY&search=freako%20brothers> at home?

[Wintel]

*** Report Casts Doubt On Vista's Security Impact
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1958355,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Matt Hines, eWeek

In a scathing review of the security features built into preview versions of Microsoft's upcoming Windows Vista operating system, one analyst contends that the software giant's highly-touted security features are self-defeating and may cause some customers to put off adoption of the OS altogether.

*** The Quest For Privacy Can Make Us Thieves
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/09/health/09essa.html>
Robert Klitzman, New York Times

Increasingly, savvy patients are wary, and they are talking with physicians about whether genetic data and other highly personal health information should be included in the record and how it should be done.

*** Counting Dropped Calls And Drops Of Rain
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/09/science/09obse.html>
Henry Fountain, New York Times

Take heart, cellphone users. All those dropped calls you experience may someday be used for a grater good: to help forecast the weather.

*** Forget YouTube: Your Laptop Will Never Replace Your TV
<http://www.slate.com/id/2140930>
Sean Captain, Slate

While internet bandwidth and video quality will improve, so will our standards.

[World]

*** Saving Seoul
<http://www.time.com/time/asia/covers/501060515/story.html>
Bryan Walsh, Time

Pollution is ruining the quality of life in much of urban Asia. But Seoul's transformation into a greener city proves the tide can still be turned.

[Expressions]

*** Adina, Astrid, Chipewee, Jasmine
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/060515fi_fiction>
Matthew Klam, New Yorker

*** Singapore's Workers' Party Names Chairman Sylvia Lim As Next NCMP
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/207449/1/.html>
Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

The Workers' Party has accepted the offer to tkae up the Non-Constituency MP (NCMP) seat in the next parliament. It has named chairman Sylvia Lim as its choice.

*** Election Dept Asks WP To Name NCMP From Its Aljunied Team
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/207414/1/.html>
Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

*** Elections Department Says Overseas voters Do Matter
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/207417/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

Overseas votes will still be counted and added to the local votes -- and the total number will then be published in the Government Gazette later.

*** Singapore Opposition Politician Facing Possible Jail Term
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060509/wl_asia_afp/singaporepolitics_060509074043>
AFP

"Police confirm that we are investigating a complaint from the Elections Department against Mr James Gomez for alleged offences of criminal intimidation and providing false information," a police spokesman said.

*** Singapore's Lee Wins Mandate, Now For The Hard Work
<http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=reutersEdge&storyID=2006-05-08T103654Z_01_NOA838069_RTRUKOC_0_ANALYSIS-SINGAPORE.xml>
Sara Webb, Reuters

Singapore's ruling party won yet another thumping victory in a weekend election, but it must now tackle some difficult issues: jobs and a widening income gap.

*** Singapore's Media Under Fire
<http://www.thenational.com.pg/050906/column6.htm>
Seah Chiang Nee, The National

Singapore's controlled media has come under criticism for the way it covered the campaign leading to last Saturday's general election.

*** Singapore's Outsourcing Aspirations
<http://www.physorg.com/news66309984.html>
UPI

*** Net Was Abuzz With Politics During Poll Period
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,391758,00.html?>
Lynn Lee, Straits Times

>From satirical podcasts to serious discussions of political strategy, the internet was a hotbed of activity during the election period, a development which took internet watchers by surprise.

*** Singapore Slips To 13th Spot In E-Readiness, Magazine Says
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=44931>
Tham Yuen-C, Straits Times

*** Divided SDP 'Ding-Dongs' Over Lawyer
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/117357.asp>
Derrick A Paulo, Today

The embattled Singapore Democratic Party is divided over whether lawyer M Ravi should continue to represent it in the lawsuit over an allegedly defamatory article -- a day before he files its defence.

[Opinion]

*** Singapore: When The World Stops Watching...
<http://democracy-rising.blogspot.com/2006/05/singapore-when-world-stops-watching.html>
Matt Jay, Democracy Rising

... the knives come out.

*** Let's Be Fair To Opposition Parties
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/05/lets-be-fair-to-opposition-parties.html>
My Singapore News

If the opposition also have the same access to these highly paid and highly qualified civil servants to do the work for them, which they will have if they come into power, then it is fair to expect them to come out with a detail plan.

*** Not Any Other Country, Not Any Other Pol
<http://memoryanddesire.blogspot.com/2006/05/not-any-other-country-not-any-other.html>
Memory And Desire

*** Wanted: Quality Opposition Voices
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/117301.asp>
Jason Lee Boon Hong, Today

*** Strong Mandate? I Beg To Differ
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,391772,00.html?>
Phyllis Christe, Straits Times

For every vote that was lost represents a voice that is asking for accountability, for answers, for checks, for changes, for help and, perhaps, more transparency.

*** The Da Vinci Code
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/05/da-vinci-code_09.html>
Singabloodypore

It appears that the panel have just decided to proclaim themselves religious historians to give them the right to proclaim this film fact or fiction.

*** James Gomez And The Rule Of Lee (Not Law)
<http://uselesstree.typepad.com/useless_tree/2006/05/james_gomez_and.html>
The Useless Tree

What is true is that the ruling party routinely uses the legal system to advance its political interests.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]