[MyAppleMenu] May 11, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 11 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Clones Creep Back On The Streets
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31613>
Nick Farrell, The Inquirier

Some nine years after the Apple clones were officially killed off, pirates in South America have resurrected the trade.

*** Connecting To God By iPod
<http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0510B1-talker-ON.html>
Lars Jacoby, Arizona Republic

iPod shuffle giveaways have been used to lure people to open bank accounts and buy cars and as bait by online hucksters. Well, now even God is getting in on the craze.

*** Apple Selects OU As Test Site For iTunes Lectures
<http://thepost.baker.ohiou.edu/articles/2006/05/10/news/13608.html>
Bethany Furkin, The Post

Apple's vice president of education visited Ohio University's campus yesterday to announce OU's selection as a beta site for iTunes University.

[Opinion]

*** In Our Post-PC Era, Apple's Device Model Beats The PC Way
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114729881894749433-ORYg5V1P3c0KNb715LUzZq56SQ4_20060609.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

In the post-PC era we're in today, where the focus is on things like music players, game consoles and cellphones, the end-to-end model is the early winner. I think the end-to-end model can prevail this time, both for Apple and other companies. Consumers want choice and low prices. But they also crave the kind of simplicity and integration that the end-to-end model delivers best.

*** Why I Will Probably Never Buy Another Mac
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14577&page=1>
OSNews.com

>From being a company that introduced products which freed many of us from the restrictions on usability that the early command line imposed, Apple ahs come to be a company which is in spirit and practice opposed to almost all of the freedoms that have since come to define our industry and our society.

*** Spot A Bug, Go To Jail
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/circuitcourt/0,70857-0.html?tw=wn_index_6>
Jennifer Granick, Wired News

A new federal prosecution again raises the issue of whether computer security experts must fear prison time for investgating and reporting vulnerabilities.

*** Intel, Allies Push Standard Flash Memory Interface
<http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20060510144941.html>
Anton Shilov, X-bit Labs

*** Far-Flung Kitchens Send News
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-mediadish10may10,1,3314946.story?coll=la-headlines-food>
Regina Schrambling, Los Angeles Times

Stand facing the average newsstand lately and it's hard not to think American food magazines are speeding downhill in a Rachael Ray sled, with Paula Deen pushing.

*** A Nation Of Buffetts: At Least There's One Business Where The United States Is Still Better Than China.
<http://www.slate.com/id/2141595/>
Daniel Gross, Slate

The United States continue to enjoy its status as the world's hedge-fund manager, allocating capital on behalf of hard-working laborers around the globe.

*** The Land Time Forgot
<http://www.observer.com/20060515/20060515_Tom_Scocca_media_offtherecord.asp>
Tom Scocca, New York Observer

If the newsweeklies seem musty and pointless, it's because they've retreated from their jobs.

*** Singapore Polls Efficient, But Reforms Needed: Watchdog
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?aid=1136>
Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times

A Bangkok-based election watchdog said it found Singapore's recent General Election to be extremely peaceful, efficient and professional. But it suggested several reforms, such as changing the group representation constituency system and a longer campaign period.

*** Dewan Negara: Goh's First Letter To Dr M Not Valid
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Wednesday/National/20060510075713/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

Parliamentary secretary to the Foreign Affairs Ministry Ahmad Shabery Cheek said the initial discussions between Goh and Dr Mahathir were on a package deal.

*** Last-Ditch Bid To Save Took From Gallows
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,392292,00.html?>
Selina Lum, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** James Gomez And Political Intimidation In Singapore
<http://friskodude.blogspot.com/2006/05/james-gomez-and-political-intimidation.html>
Carl Parkes, FriskoDude

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>