[MyAppleMenu] Mar 25, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 25 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Five Years Of Mac OS X
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/osx-fiveyears.ars>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

In five short years, Apple has essentially created an entirely new platform. Oh, I know, it's really just the foundation of NeXT combined with the wreckage of classic Mac OS, but I think that makes it even more impressive. Two failing, amrginalized platforms have combined to become the platform for the alpha geeks in the new century.

*** Market Wants To Know Apple Will Stay Fresh After Jobs
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/market-wants-to-know-apple-will-stay-fresh-after-jobs/2006/03/24/1143083984252.html?page=fullpage>
Bob Keefe, Sydney Morning Herald

Despite Jobs' importance to the company, Apple has said little publicly about plans for a successor when he quits or dies.

*** Adobe CCEO 'Creative Suite 3 In Q2 2007'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14195>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

"Creative Suite 3 will be introduced in the second quarter of 2007," Adobe CEO Bruce Chizen explained, promising "a lot of activity" around its launch.

*** Bryan Rowland, Doug Stewart & Kelly Peterson: Shake Performs A Miracle
<http://www.apple.com/pro/film/rowland/>
Apple

"The miracle is the Apple technology that made it practically plug and play for our team. It's really amazing."

*** Tiger/Tigress Productions: Prolific Production House Makes The Switch
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/tiger_tigress/>
Dustin Driver, Apple

"You simply get more bang for the buck with Final Cut. It just makes a lot more sense. And it has definitely proven to be the right decision."

[Opinion]

*** The iPod Juggernaut
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/03/ipod_juggernaut>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Of all the myriad ways that Apple's iPod position today differs from their Macintosh position 20 years ago, perhaps none is greater than this: With the iPod, Apple is going for market share.

*** Of Intel Macs And Red Herrings
<http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2006/03/24/560461.aspx>
Rick Schaut, Buggin' My Life Away

I can't imagine any developer who would prefer a long, drawn-out process of porting code from one build system to another to writing features that solve people's problems. We are already doing as much as we can possibly do. Indeed, one of the reasons I haven't posted very much as of late is because there really is a great deal of tedious work to do.

*** The Sad State Of Streaming Video On The Mac
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1443270>
Pete Mortensen, Cult Of Mac

Apple needs to integrate WMV support in Quicktime and keep it current.

[Review]

*** Ten More Things I Hate About Mac OS X
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=458172&rl=1>
Owen Linzmayer, Informit.com

*** Broadband Giants Say Net Neutrality Fears Are Misguided
<http://news.com.com/2100-1034_3-6052986.html?part=rss&tag=6052986&subj=news>
Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com

*** Adopted In China, Seeking Identity In America
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/23/national/23adopt.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Lynette Clemetson, New York Times

Molly and Qiu Meng represent the leading edge of this coming-of-age population, adopted just after the laws changed and long before such placements became popular, even fashionable.

[GE06]

*** Jeyaretnam Fails To Pay Legal Costs
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/199768/1/.html>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

*** No Rift, Says SDP's Chee
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/199771/1/.html>
Ansley Ng, Today

"I don't know what rift you are talking about and as far as we are concerned... everybody is very committed."

[News]

*** China Now The No 2 Destination For Singaporeans
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template1.php?l3sec=8&news_id=54076&key_word=singapore>
Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times

While Malaysia remained the top destination, China nudged out Thailand and Hong Kong to take the second spot, said National Association of Travel Agents Singapore (Natas).

*** Lighting Up Singapore's Skyline
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/108961.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

The government is rolling out incentives to defray the cost of external lighting installations.

*** Singapore Inc's Loads War Chest For Future Forays
<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=10374316>
Sara Webb, New Zealand Herald

Is Singapore state investment firm Temasek Holdings topping up its war chest ahead of more acquisitions or to pay its annual dividend into government cofers?

*** First Solar Panel Linked To Singapore's National Grid
<http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-03/25/content_4342943.htm>
Xinhua

[Opinion]

*** CCTVs On Buses: No Decision Yet
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,380329,00.html?>
Yam Ah Mee, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times